• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Happy to see this kicking ass! Whatever happens to it upon release, be it rampant Android piracy and having to deal with that somehow or possibly having an answer in the form of strict account-based software purchase management and reasons to be logged-in and legit with a set of network services provided, this has some serious potential to draw and keep a loyal userbase. It's exciting to think of small developers focusing on nicely powered and static hardware for a home console experience to be the focus of its software instead of touch-based timewasters on phones and tablets. Would be nice to see WL2 and others delivered on this platform with integrated gamepad control. In general, the idea of indies, especially former console gaming devs in the small armies of developers out there now, focus projects toward this specific platform with a specific gaming controller but without the constraints of the traditional console market or its pressures.
this thing really need 2 usb ports. 1 for 360 controller and one for an external hdd

Would be nice and still possible, I imagine. Even as is, a USB hub connected will hardly be a burden.

all this money just flying around the world at all times, traveling through wires and the air. i would like to grab some of it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I doubt you'll be accessing the games from the Google Play which is the only place that content protection is applicable. From the OUYA's concept UI they'll have their own storefront to purchase things.

Didn't they create the thing to be "hackable"?
That'll mean that you can probably load software from wherever you please.

Didn't they create the thing to be "hackable"?
That'll mean that you can probably load software from wherever you please.

Well if you look at the description of the Kickstarter it says that they are encouraging free to play model games, so maybe must games will be free and offer additional stuff at a price... I dunno, maybe this is a non-issue.

fse

Does pledging $99 or more get you the other stuff that lesser amounts gets you.(username, etc?)

wrowa

The big success of this kickstarter actually makes me feel a little uncomfortable. :lol It seems this console is exactly what I don't want the future to be like. Free-to-play, dozens of "in-app purchases", simple Android games...

Don't get me wrong, I love Indie games. But this console seems to less directed at the developers of the indie games I love on Steam/XBLA/PSN, but instead it seems to target more those cheap Android/iOS games. And after about a year with my iPhone I can say that I dislike most of the stuff that is seen as the future of gaming on the smartphone devices...

Legality on this sort of thing?

It's an Android device that plays Android games. What are you questioning?

Would be nice and still possible, I imagine. Even as is, a USB hub connected will hardly be a burden.

From Ouya's comment a few hours ago:

Hey everybody - just wanted to address some of the hardware discussion! Remember we want to pack as much as we can into a tiny package for you, so we're sticking with 1GB RAM out the gate. In regards to storage - remember we've included multiple USB ports. You can slap an external HD in there or even a disk drive. We're still hammering out details, just keep in mind that we have to keep costs low and quality high! And (pssst) we're hearing rumors of Ethernet. :)

41jwrCKGPwL.jpg

There's no way that works well.... does it?

And if so, where can I get this marvel?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
$3 million with 28 days to go, Christ. I wonder what the stretch goals will be? It seems like they have no idea themselves. Very intriguing though, this thing seems to have captured the imaginations of many. 10 million seems likely at this rate.

totowhoa

Banned
The big success of this kickstarter actually makes me feel a little uncomfortable. :lol It seems this console is exactly what I don't want the future to be like. Free-to-play, dozens of "in-app purchases", simple Android games...

Don't get me wrong, I love Indie games. But this console seems to less directed at the developers of the indie games I love on Steam/XBLA/PSN, but instead it seems to target more those cheap Android/iOS games. And after about a year with my iPhone I can say that I dislike most of the stuff that is seen as the future of gaming on the smartphone devices..

The fact that there's a controller attached will really separate it from smart phone gaming. This is really just a very affordable, ultra-open console that a lot of small developers will be able to make things for. There's no requirement to make 5 minute time wasters because the only input is a finger swipe. The removal of a significant barrier for indie developers is the best thing about this, even if the graphics are a little behind the times. (Kind of used to this anyway after a generation of DS/PSP and Wii/360/PS3).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why would you vote for content that is already readily available elsewhere?

totowhoa

Banned
I haven't followed Wii homebrew much, so I don't know if there are many indie games out there already or not... but since the device has bluetooth won't it be possible to set up your Wii remote to function for games that will recognize it? Since the Wii remotes will be around for a second generation, it would be interesting to see if some games would take advantage of them in some interesting ways, as M+ hasn't been exploited much.

I voted for developers... did I do it wrong

No, the survey was open-ended.

What else could you possibly vote for? Having popular multiplatform releases to start never hurts as console makers and third parties have done this since the very beginning. Obviously, the main reason is to let these developers know there's a large number of people who want it there and, with a release, that dev could not only see success for that version but also find a new platform to address with future software...maybe even OUYA-targeted software. The reason you list them is for the games they have already made. How else can you judge the value of developers outside of past releases on already available platforms? I think listing titles and developers should be useful since it just drills down to what people want more specifically.

Benedict

Should I say Halo 5 instead, Mr Pessimistic?
Or maybe Nebulus Aftershock, Return of Adventure in Twinkly Star?

Because that is what they asked for, existing games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I just don't get it.

Team Meat stuff, etc. can be got elsewhere already for dirt cheap. If you're interested in the content, why haven't you bought and played it already? Are you really looking forward to buying this thing, and repurchasing those games on it?

Absinthe

By the time this is over they will be multi millionars, damn, thats a lot of people to dissapoint if it fails, im really hope something good comes out of this

Remember, there are still hardware, software, and employment costs in all of this. They will make money for sure, but who knows what their margins are.

Remember to vote for games you'd like to appear on the system:

I voted for:

1 Llamasoft games
2 Gravity Crash
3 Super Meat Boy
4 The Binding of Isaac
5 VVVVVV

Needs more Bastion and PixelJunk.

Even though I've already played them, more people need to play those games.

GamerSoul

I'll have to admit this is pretty interesting...if it's another cheaper outlet for creativity than I'll be interested to see how far it goes.

tino

Banned
This kind of true Android tv box is the future. Let me explain to you why. By running Android apps directly instead of shitty Google TV, Apple TV crippled implimentation, I have access to third party apps that can run circles around the "officual tv boxes".

For example, to watch local HD contents on my NAS, I can just run diceplayer. To watch video podcast, I can just set it up on BeyondPod. As for emulation, anything PSX or older is a piece of cake.

Now I am not buying this particular box, I don't trust kickstarters. But google should sort this out and have native app running, Android phone as remote, and native PS3 controller support out of box for the next version of Google TV. Tegra 3 is a good platform to build on since its fast enough and cheap enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This kind of true Android tv box is the future. Let me explain to you why. By running Android apps directly instead of shitty Google TV, Apple TV crippled implimentation, I have access to third party apps that can run circles around the "officual tv boxes".

For example, to watch local HD contents on my NAS, I can just run diceplayer. To watch video podcast, I can just set it up on BeyondPod. As for emulation, anything PSX or older is a piece of cake.

Now I am not buying this particular box, I don't trust kickstarters. But google should sort this out and have native app running, Android phone as remote, and native PS3 controller support out of box for the next version of Google TV. Tegra 3 is a good platform to build on since its fast enough and cheap enough.

Actually, this post illustrates exactly why something like this is not the future (in terms of mainstream adoption). Content holders don't like open-ended platforms where their shit can be pirated easily and freely without repercussion. They don't like gray market applications that do things they would rather charge people for.

It might be great for tinkerers and hackers, but so are PCs.

diamount

Banned

Don't get me wrong, I love Indie games. But this console seems to less directed at the developers of the indie games I love on Steam/XBLA/PSN, but instead it seems to target more those cheap Android/iOS games. And after about a year with my iPhone I can say that I dislike most of the stuff that is seen as the future of gaming on the smartphone devices...

It's an Android device that plays Android games. What are you questioning?

Are all android games free? That's my question.

Absinthe

Yep. Apple/Google are crazy not allowing full app stores on the Apple TV/Google TV. They're missing the entire group of people that are now obviously backing OUYA.

Actually, this post illustrates exactly why something like this is not the future (in terms of mainstream adoption). Content holders don't like open-ended platforms where their shit can be pirated easily and freely without repercussion. They don't like gray market applications that do things they would rather charge people for.

This is a problem with Android itself and yet people still develop apps for it.

Because you think those games would be great on a big screen tv with that controller.

Thats why I voted for the ones i did. Aquaria with dual analog support would be fantastic.

I voted for:

1 Llamasoft games
2 Gravity Crash
3 Super Meat Boy
4 The Binding of Isaac
5 VVVVVV

I really hope that some of the other Kickstarter projects make ports for this console. Brian Fargo made an appearance in the Ouya video, I wonder if there would be a chance on seeing a Wasteland 2 port? Or a port of the Doublefine Adventure.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because you thing those games would be great on a big screen tv with that controller.

Thats why I voted for the ones i did. Aquaria with dual analog support would be fantastic.

But like... you can already do that.

angelfly

This will be the same as ATV and GTV in that it isn't running vanilla Android. It's Android under the hood but like GTV and ATV apps have to be built specifically for it.

But like... you can already do that.
On PC, sure. Nevermind that hundreds of millions of people buy dedicated hardware platforms that feature mutiplatform games every year. You seem to want to hammer a point that almost no one forgot. PCs are not what most people want. Focused devices that offer PC services and software are.

tino

Banned

I am speaking purely from the standpoint of google and Apple, not from the current console developers. It would be bad for MS, Sony Nintendo and bad for big developers like EA and Activision, it would be great for the mobile ecosystems to penetrate the current video game market.

As for will it be good or bad for the gamers, I honestly dont know. I personally own a Vita, a Xperia Play and a Galaxy Note. I have had a lot more fun with games and pseudo games (like draw something) with the Note than with the other two gadgets. I brought the Vita mainly on the premise of having the best platform for driving games but I still haven't seen any great one.

Again, iOS and Android market are only bad for large content holders who like to have huge yearly releases. There are plenty of small developers that do very well on the mibile platforms. You can't say its bad for the gamers, unless you have number to back it up.

schwupp

the real interesting part is the controller.
the rest i can already do with my android tablet hooked up to my tv via hdmi....

Alchemy

the real interesting part is the controller.
the rest i can already do with my android tablet hooked up to my tv via hdmi....

The problem is that Android isn't a unified game platform. No default controller, no default hardware, no default interface. This provides a way for developers to bring some games to a known physical platform with the added benefits of the software possibly leaking out to the general Android market place.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, following some posts here. You are able to build a pc that can play 1080P MKVs well, as well as emulate up to PSX (I assume this can?), whilst being as small and (I assume) quiet as the Ouya for less than $99?

I do not ask this in a snarky tone, I am actually curious about this.

Comparison wouldn't be fair, each has their own purpose, different price points etc. For example we don't know if the OUYA will be able to handle 1080p MKVs with heavy bitrates with no hiccups, it'll probably miss support for hd audio bistreaming and I'm curious how it'll handle DD True HD and DTS HD MA.
Will it even support 24p? As far as emus, from the replies I've got above it doesn't seem it'll be able to properly emulate PSX games. It's better to approach this "console" for what it's set out to be instead of trying to shoehorn a bunch of different stuff in it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
3 million and counting, insane. Didn't think it would do this well. Hopefully they have an update over the weekend.

I voted for:

1 Llamasoft games
2 Gravity Crash
3 Super Meat Boy
4 The Binding of Isaac
5 VVVVVV

Sweet, voting now. Adding the link to the op as well.

Top Bottom