• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

saunderez

Looking at the list of people working on OUYA I'm pretty sure they do have experience with that.

And that's what defines a "safe" project and a risky one. The people behind it. Had the people behind Ouya been a bunch of random names I've never heard of I wouldn't have backed it at all. Like all Kickstarters you're taking a punt based on the talent behind the project. I trust Brian Fargo to deliver me Wasteland 2 for instance. If it was some random with no experience under their belt they wouldn't have received a cent from me.

9 months to make a game? ~iwata laughs~

That's about right. 9 months was probably around the average time it took my company to make a Nintendo DS game. An in-depth RPG would take a bit longer, of course, but not 2 years or anything. Games for a system like this aren't the same as major console/PC games, they don't cost much to develop, and they don't take years. If they did, the games would cost at least $20. Of course, that's assuming a normal-sized development team, not an indy game made by two or three people.

mkenyon

Banned
You're definitely right. It will be super interesting to see how it develops over the next 9 months!
FWIW, your posts seem to be ping ponging between "from an investment standpoint, this product doesn't seem realistic", and "I want to see the product before I *BUY* it".

Either is fine, but they seem mutually exclusive within the framework of Kickstarter. It's not a marketplace, it's crowd sourced investment.

Not:

-on your tv
-with a controller
-for $99

How do people keep not getting this?
So this. A million times this.

I have 1 (2 when N7 gets here) tegra 3 devices, and this still interests me to the point where I put down my $100. That TV portion is the big kicker.

FWIW, your posts seem to be ping ponging between "from an investment standpoint, this product doesn't seem realistic", and "I want to see the product before I *BUY* it".

Either is fine, but they seem mutually exclusive within the framework of Kickstarter. It's not a marketplace, it's crowd sourced investment.

There are a lot of different standpoints for Kickstarter and this project specifically.

From the viewpoint of an early investor, I want to see more before I actually back something like this.

From the viewpoint of a consumer, I badly want something like this once it has the support of developers (not just remakes, rehashes, and ports) and well detailed and defined setup and structure of how content is purchased.

From the viewpoint of a developer, I want to make games for something like this once they reveal their plans for a marketplace, % of profits shared from sales, how submission is handled, and once there is an idea of how many units are currently sold/out there.

I think projects and this idea will continue to happen and grow, but I guess I am just not on board yet as the things that are important to me from a few different viewpoints are not well enough defined.

That's about right. 9 months was probably around the average time it took my company to make a Nintendo DS game. An in-depth RPG would take a bit longer, of course, but not 2 years or anything. Games for a system like this aren't the same as major console/PC games, they don't cost much to develop, and they don't take years. If they did, the games would cost at least $20. Of course, that's assuming a normal-sized development team, not an indy game made by two or three people.

So 6 months development, 2 months beta/bug fixing, and then 1 month manufacturing?
Nintendo usually takes longer with manufacturing, so I'd push for 1 and a half months.

I'm in game development too. I know how long it takes to make a good, polished game of various scopes. =P

Not:

-on your tv
-with a controller
-for $99

Phone HDMI out.
Xperia Play or whatever gamepad peripherals

And are you not using a PC to type that post? You can buy stupid cables and an Xbox controller for less than $99.

And that's what defines a "safe" project and a risky one. The people behind it. Had the people behind Ouya been a bunch of random names I've never heard of I wouldn't have backed it at all. Like all Kickstarters you're taking a punt based on the talent behind the project. I trust Brian Fargo to deliver me Wasteland 2 for instance. If it was some random with no experience under their belt they wouldn't have received a cent from me.

This is also true. I've seen a few different "indie game console" concepts show up on Kickstarter in the past. Most proposed by people who have no experience in the field and have nothing more than a vague concept of what the hardware could be. They all failed miserably (here's one). This on the other hand already looks much more established as a project. Though it is still a bit sketchy on their announced services. I'm guessing those are still being ironed out.

I'm sure with the people they have behind this project, they did outline a pretty good plan in advance on how to fund and produce this thing.

Not:

-on your tv
-with a controller
-for $99

I can't speak for Minecraft. But there are certainly much cheaper ways to play your PS1 games on a TV. :p

Polari

I can't believe people are whining about Tegra 3. This shit is $99. If you're a graphics whore, take your business elsewhere. As for developer support, once again, anything that runs on Android can run on this with a very, very minimal amount of effort. It's a hackable, open source console with great industrial design for $99. What's not to like?

adroit

What I like best about the system...is (what I assume to be) the startup sound

Video

"ooo-yah!"
It would be really cute if they provided a variety of different male and female voices to choose from (including an option to have one randomly selected). Good way to personalize your system.

2MF

• Bad name
  • Ugly hardware

I disagree.

• Almost no details on DRM, App Store, or Content Distribution
  • No details on what purchases are tied to

Seems pretty reasonable and likely that they will have a something similar to the Android app market, with some custom interface to make it look more gamey (as their video shows).

• Almost no details on the long term plan of the product. If you are asking people to invest early, this is a must

It's a console, it doesn't really need a long term plan as far as I'm concerned. If I was investing on their company as a whole I would agree.

• Not nearly enough was shown off to sell me on the device. The project is not far enough along to warrant me already supporting it financially.

I respect your opinion, then you shouldn't support it. But it seems many people disagree as this project is on track to becoming the 2nd biggest or biggest project ever on Kickstarter.

• Scary small install base from the point of a developer. If it hits 300k-500k people purchasing it, I don't know if that's enough

It should be enough, because development costs should be rather low on this console. The initial install base will mostly consist of people who want indie games. Many indie developers make games without even thinking about profits...

• No games shown off that I care about. Canabalt, I've played it on iOS, Android, my computers, PS3, and PSP. Minecraft? Show me something else. Minecraft is on every device I own and it is stil the best on the intiial platform it was released on, PC.

Then don't back it yet, but many people seem to be fine with backing it this early before games are announced. This is a good sign...

• 100 USD seems weirdly cheap, I don't understand how this is possible and profitable

They didn't say that the console will cost $100, did they? But the hardware is nothing so powerful that I would say it definitely couldn't happen.

• March 2013 does not seem like a realistic launch date at all, and as a backer of a few Kickstarter projects, delays (massive delays) are likely

I guess we'll see, you could be right but they have people with experience on hardware products on board so their estimates shouldn't be too crazy.

And are you not using a PC to type that post? You can buy stupid cables and an Xbox controller for less than $99.

Some of us don't have our PCs right next to the TV and would rather not run stupid cables halfway across our apartment to play a few indie games. $99 is a pretty reasonable price to pay for that convenience.

saunderez

Many indie developers make games without even thinking about profits...

The sole reason I want this thing to exist. The potential for an indie driven console platform is huge. It's something I've wanted for a while now as I've started playing less retail and more indie/arcade games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The sole reason I want this thing to exist. The potential for an indie driven console platform is huge. It's something I've wanted for a while now as I've started playing less retail and more indie/arcade games.

Man, if only there was a platform out there where all kinds of indie games were readily available.

element

Sadly indies are already finding better avenues to take their products too. Steam being one of them.

Benedict

Some replies from Ouya on Reddit:
There are some hardware specs being debated - for instance, our 1GB of RAM that we really can't budge on without adjusting cost post-KS funding, so you're spot on.
There are other requests we're hearing and adapting to - ethernet is one rumor that might just become a reality ;)
We're still working things out, but remember, this box is open and accessible - OUYA opens up with a standard screwdriver without voiding warranty. It also has USB - slap an External HD in there and your storage will skyrocket. It's yours to modify once it gets into your hands.

---

[–]thanamesjames 3 poäng 11 timmar sen
Are you currently planning on supporting apps that aren't games? It seems,to me, like you guys should really push to partner with OnLive. If they were to release an app (I don't know if you'd ask for 30% or how that would work) it seems like you'd bridge that gap to "console" quality graphics that a subset of your user base is looking for. Also I believe XBMC is being developed now for android, and I can guarantee they'd release an app for your platform, maybe even on day one.
permalänk
[–]playouya 1 poäng 4 timmar sen
If it's built for OUYA, it'll run on OUYA. We're not about hampering ANYONE'S creativity.

----

[–]andrewsmith1986 5 poäng 11 timmar sen
How would it work as a media center?
permalänk
[–]playouya 8 poäng 11 timmar sen
Right now I can't speak to partnerships with streaming services if that's what you're asking.
But I'm sure there are hackers out there who already have awesome plans to make OUYA into a media powerhouse. :) (personal hunch)

------

[–]StellaTerra 2 poäng 6 timmar sen
XBMC! Pleassssssse do it! It could be your entire media suite, it could ship on day 1, and it's already written. Slap a custom branded skin on it, get the build right for Ouya ???? Profit. Seriously, I will be soooo excited if you did this.
permalänk
[–]playouya 2 poäng 4 timmar sen
Reach out to them! We're open to any and all ideas at this point. Right now we're just listening to everyone's awesome feedback.

------

Neither of those two were close to $100 MSRP, which this thing should be able to hit. That's a big deal IMO. Gives it a fighting chance.

Price isn't everything though. It's a very niche product at best and I think there's a good chance it may never see the light of day. Price is important, but I'm not quite sure anyone is going to care beyond the hobby/indie developer community if it even reaches that.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
As long as we're talking about vaporware consoles anyone remember the Indrema? It was supposed to compete with the PS2, Dolphin, and Microsoft's rumored X-Box.

7bPce.png

Banned

For $199 you can get a 360 and have access to a couple thousand Indie games right now.

I dont see many developers working on this. Their time would be better spent working on Vita or iOS or XBLIG.

Price isn't everything though. It's a very niche product at best and I think there's a good chance it may never see the light of day. Price is important, but I'm not quite sure anyone is going to care beyond the hobby/indie developer community if it even reaches that.

It's not everything, but it's a big thing. More important than the BS the Phantom was hawking (no hassle PC gaming).

Watched the video again and looked more closely at the board they featured. (0:02 and 1:37 in video)

From what I saw:

3x USB ports
1x SD card slot
1x HDMI port
1x Ethernet port
Passively-cooled main chip
Wifi antennae
Plus a few other components, (needs power button, perhaps a dedicated BT pairing button, DC power input....)

Oh, whoops... back to hooking up a tablet, smartphone, HTPC or high end gaming rig to a TV and using one of hundreds of controllers out there.

Hieberrr

Someone please explain to me why Indie developers would develop for this specifically if their market is composed of mobile phone and tablet users?

Having said that, is it safe to assume that current games just need a slight update in order to support the controller inputs?

I see a big segregation problem with this, because what you're asking developers to so is to either implement full physical input controls in their 100% touch screen based game or you're asking them to create a new game exclusively for the system (unless you choose to support both from the start). But yeah, my main concern is playing games that have already been released on the android market with the Ouya.

TL;DR = how do you translate touch screen based games to controller based systems?

Someone please explain to me why Indie developers would develop for this specifically if their market is composed of mobile phone and tablet users?

If they are already making games for Android, it's an easy decision with minimum effort and potentially on a less piracy prone platform.

Hieberrr

If they are already making games for Android, it's an easy decision with minimum effort and potentially on a less piracy prone platform.

Won't this be an extremely niche market? And given that it's android based and how hard these guys are pushing the openness (advocating rooting and "hacking"), I would think its just as, if not more, piracy prone and less worthwhile to invest in this, no?

Won't this be an extremely niche market? And given that it's android based and how hard these guys are pushing the openness (advocating rooting and "hacking"), I would think its just as, if not more, piracy prone and less worthwhile to invest in this, no?

Android is already wild wild west, so what's the difference? LOL

Hieberrr

Android is already wild wild west, so what's the difference? LOL
Well, my point was:

Why should Indie developers (who don't want to throw money around) invest and developed for a console that caters to an extremely niche market and is just as, if not more, piracy prone than the current Android platform?

It doesn't make much sense unless the OUYA games are also developed for mobile platforms. Meaning you'll just end up with Android games on the machine and a few exclusives.

So the problem lies in the fact that most Android games are touch screen based and designed around a touch screen.

Durante

Well, my point was:

Why should Indie developers (who don't want to throw money around) invest and developed for a console that caters to an extremely niche market and is just as, if not more, piracy prone than the current Android platform?
I think the best reason is that, if they already have an Android game, it probably takes all of 2 hours to get it running and tested on this.

Im interested in what type of security they are going to have to make sure people actually pay for the games.

A console that encourages hacking doesnt seem to mesh with trying to sell a product.

Well, my point was:

I said IF they already have a game going on Android, this is a low hanging fruit for them.

You do not invest and developed for a niche console, you just run your current android build on the BOOYA (prolly just integrating some ouya sdk for some ouya only features)

2MF

Well, my point was:

It doesn't make much sense unless the OUYA games are also developed for mobile platforms. Meaning you'll just end up with Android games on the machine and a few exclusives.

So the problem lies in the fact that most Android games are touch screen based and designed around a touch screen.

Because the OUYA gives them creative possibilities that are hard to explore on smartphones and tablets, due to lack of big screens and precise controls. Touch-screen controls are not so precise, and have the big drawback that your finger needs to obstruct your view in order to do an action.

With the OUYA you can do almost any kind of game with confidence it will play well (everything except PC-centric genres such as RTS). With smartphone gaming you have to think a lot about how to implement the controls, and still not have any guarantee that they will be fun to use even if the game is otherwise fantastic.

Truespeed

Having said that, is it safe to assume that current games just need a slight update in order to support the controller inputs?

I see a big segregation problem with this, because what you're asking developers to so is to either implement full physical input controls in their 100% touch screen based game or you're asking them to create a new game exclusively for the system (unless you choose to support both from the start). But yeah, my main concern is playing games that have already been released on the android market with the Ouya.

TL;DR = how do you translate touch screen based games to controller based systems?

If you have an Android game on the Play store already that can easily be adapted to use a controller why wouldn't they do it? It's an extra revenue stream and you get in on the ground floor and more importantly you have exposure on the platform instead of being drowned out by everything else.

As for translating touch screen based games to controllers - how many games try to translate physical controls into touch controls? There's a significant amount of these games and these games are a perfect fit for this device.

ZoddGutts

Wouldn't the only effort require to take android games to put on OUYA be just adding controller support? I mean there's already programs that is able to do that easily. Guess OUYA could provide a controller mapping software themselves to developers. Other than that don't see this requiring much effort.

acm2000

can someone confirm that the hardware in this thing is gonna be upgraded before release? as if its a year away, its gonna be hella dated by then

2MF

can someone confirm that the hardware in this thing is gonna be upgraded before release? as if its a year away, its gonna be hella dated by then

Hella dated compared to what?

This console is not for graphics whores, and the developers that are likely to focus the most on this console don't have graphics whores as their target audience. They want to develop cheaply and easily, and focus more on gameplay. The hardware will be just powerful enough to run most kinds of games with reasonable looking graphics and resolutions so that the graphics are not a complete turnoff.

Just don't expect cinematic shooters with high-res textures on the walls and a million armpit hairs on each character.

What they are selling is Tegra 3. If you don't think that is good enough don't give them any money. You can always buy next year if the spec has changed.

acm2000

Hella dated compared to what?

This console is not for graphics whores, and the developers that are likely to focus the most on this console don't have graphics whores as their target audience. They want to develop cheaply and easily, and focus more on gameplay. The hardware will be just powerful enough to run most kinds of games with reasonable looking graphics and resolutions so that the graphics are not a complete turnoff.

Just don't expect cinematic shooters with high-res textures on the walls and a million armpit hairs on each character.

if its a year away, mobile games wouldve moved on by then, and this thing will be left way behind, no one will buy it outside of the kickstarters

2MF

if its a year away, mobile games wouldve moved on by then, and this thing will be left way behind, no one will buy it outside of the kickstarters

Just like no one bought the Wii because its graphics were miles behind 360 and PS3 right?

Furthermore, I don't t think the Ouya's main competition is mobile gaming. Yeah I know you can connect your phone to the TV, but almost no one does that...

Top Bottom