• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Matt

It's their OS now. It may be Android compatible, but it's on a different development path with their own SDK's and API's.

To quote Wikipedia:

This is a blog post from the front page of the amazon developers site:

What version of the Android platform does Kindle Fire utilize?

When developing an app exclusively for Kindle Fire, ensure that your app is developed using the correct Software Development Kit (SDK) version. Many apps fail to install because they were developed to operate within a different version of the Android SDK platform.

If your app requires a different SDK version than what is used by Kindle Fire, then you will see an error similar to the following:

“…Could not parse package (at Binary XML file line #11): Requires newer sdk version #13 (current version is #10)”

To properly optimize your app for Kindle Fire, you should specifically target Android 2.3.4 - API Level 10.

If you have designed your app to install on Kindle Fire and multiple devices running other versions of the Android SDK, simply adjust the minimum Android Program Interface (API) Level within your manifest:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="10"
android:targetSdkVersion="13" />

Be aware that you can set the maximum API value by utilizing android:maxSdkVersion=&#8221;X&#8221;. However, we do not recommend blocking installation on future versions of the Android SDK, as all newer versions of the platform are backwards compatible.

If you intend to have your app exclusive to Kindle Fire, then you may simply equalize the minimum and target values:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="10"
android:targetSdkVersion="10" />

Just to be clear, that post uses the word "Android" 10 times.

The Fire runs on Android 2.3. Period.

VanWinkle

They must be really confused since the store is called "Amazon Appstore for Android".

Now, keep in my I could be wrong because I don't own a Kindle Fire myself, but from a video on Youtube, it seems to be called Store on the OS and inside the app it's just called Apps.

im1e1QdH1DtYb.JPG

iLeyc1hKhzMEe.JPG

Is this not actually the case?

element

Now, keep in my I could be wrong because I don't own a Kindle Fire myself, but from a video on Youtube, it seems to be called Store on the OS and inside the app it's just called Apps.

I'm referring to this, http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3427287011
Amazon said:
Kindle Fire features instant access to the Amazon Appstore for Android and thousands of apps, all of them Amazon-tested on Kindle Fire for the best experience possible.

Matt

That is the name of the store, period. Amazon tries to avoid using the name on the device, but that's what it's called, and on the Fire product page they say, for example:

Additional email apps are available in our Amazon Appstore for Android.

No, dumbass, it's a forked OS that's no longer Android. Usually when you fork something it ceases to become the thing it was forked from. Sure it may run apps that are compatible with the version of the OS it was forked from, but that doesn't mean it's Android. Was this explanation simple enough for you to understand?

Triple post and name calling. I'm not going to lie, I like you.

Gilby

I have a Kindle Fire. It uses a modified version of Android. By rooting it you can download and play generic Android apps on it.

element

It may be doomed from the start, but it's not a scam. I guarantee everyone who has pledged gets their system. Now getting it in the timely manner they are hoping for is another story.
How can you make such a guarantee? There is no guarantee. I personally don't think the money from kickstarter is enough to allow them to build the 35,000 units, support system, store, infrastructure, and marketing.

The scam is how they are marketing it. With lies and contradictions.

How can you make such a guarantee? There is no guarantee. I personally don't think the money from kickstarter is enough to allow them to build the 35,000 units, support system, store, infrastructure, and marketing.

I don't know what to tell you other than if you don't trust them with your money, obviously don't donate. Nothing wrong with that. I have faith that they will deliver at least the systems to the kickstarters. Saying it is a scam implies they are going take peoples money and run, I don't believe this.

DiscoJer

How can you make such a guarantee? There is no guarantee. I personally don't think the money from kickstarter is enough to allow them to build the 35,000 units, support system, store, infrastructure.

And there is a camp (like that Brad Getz guy) that is the exact opposite, thinking that the device will cost only $40-50 to make (based on existing products) and they are simply pocketing the rest.

Beyond that, that's sort of the whole point of Kickstarter. A way to give projects a chance that might otherwise not exist. A chance, not a guarantee of anything. Yes, it might not happen. If you don't think so, then don't pledge.

All marketing puts the product in the best light possible. Look at TV commercials, most boil down to "If you use this product, attractive members of the sex you like will be interested in you" or more broadly, "If you use this product, you will experience the lifestyle and activities shown in the commercial" - which is usually attractive people, but like for products aimed at older products, it's usually your family and grandchildren visiting.

element

Saying it is a scam implies they are going take peoples money and run, I don't believe this.
I don't think they are taking the money and running. They are taking the money and running to seek larger investments from VC groups. If they are unable to secure additional funds, I highly doubt that they will be able to manufacture the boxes they have already 'sold'.

The scam is the snake oil sales tactics they are using to sell the product. The well crafted video alludes to it having Minecraft, but it doesn't. Madden? Nope.

They talk about how 'You could write a game for your Apple IIe and take it to market'. Well you can do that now. There is nothing stopping someone from making a game and selling it on their own website.

Is it hard to get on a console? Of course. That is brand protection. I really don't want 200,000 games on my console with countless knock offs, poor quality, buggy, and repackaged games.

Beyond that, that's sort of the whole point of Kickstarter. A way to give projects a chance that might otherwise not exist. A chance, not a guarantee of anything. Yes, it might not happen. If you don't think so, then don't pledge.
My issues with this is I think Kickstarter is the inappropriate place for something like this. If they wanted to pre-order it, then do it on your own website. The fact that this is a gimmick to generate buzz to then seek larger VC who will get PAID for their contributions is what I find dirty. The people that are advisors have many of millions of dollars and also have the connections to get in touch with the right people. Kickstarter to me is for people who don't have those connections.

I don't think they are taking the money and running. They are taking the money and running to seek larger investments from VC groups. If they are unable to secure additional funds, I highly doubt that they will be able to manufacture the boxes they have already 'sold'.

The scam is the snake oil sales tactics they are using to sell the product. The well crafted video alludes to it having Minecraft, but it doesn't. Madden? Nope.

They talk about how 'You could write a game for your Apple IIe and take it to market'. Well you can do that now. There is nothing stopping someone from making a game and selling it on their own website.
They're playing fast and loose with this a bit, there's no doubt -- but the bolded feels pretty silly to me. They're taking known parts and putting them in a custom case. A Chinese factory can crap out 50,000 of those in a couple months, so they probably have the rest of the year to putz around with design stuff.

The question marks are the controller, the interface (e.g. the custom Android distribution this is likely to come with), and the marketplace infrastructure. That might be it, unless there's something obvious I'm forgetting.

Sure they could take the money and run if they don't get the VC backing they want, but just because that's what you would do doesn't mean it's what they will.

re: There is nothing stopping someone from making a game and selling it on their own website. ... they're clearly talking about gaming on the television.

element

re: There is nothing stopping someone from making a game and selling it on their own website. ... they're clearly talking about gaming on the television.
Then why use the Apple IIe analogy? They used it to trick you. They wanted an example of what you could do and what you can't do, even if it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Sure they could take the money and run if they don't get the VC backing they want, but just because that's what you would do doesn't mean it's what they will.
That is what they are doing. They are seeking outside partners. You think they are going to go into this with only their previous investment AND the kickstarter fund?

They're playing fast and loose with this a bit, there's no doubt -- but the bolded feels pretty silly to me.
After KS fees, Amazon fees, federal/state taxes that $4.8m (right now) will be less. You also have to pay the staff involved. Pay fuseproject for their involvement and possibility repay previous investors.

Announcing the availability of our Amazon Appstore for Android SDK and In-App Purchasing API to our developer community.
Let me log in and see what this SDK has. Oh it has In-App Purchasing API. But I don't even have an app yet to do in-app purchasing, where do I start? Oh the Android SDK. Can't make anything on Kindle Fire without it.

Please, elaborate. I insist.
It is SDKs and APIs. No need for the apostrophe.

That is what they are doing. They are seeking outside partners. You think they are going to go into this with only their previous investment AND the kickstarter fund?
I think they won't take the money and run, but it's largely moot since it's pretty much a certainty (given the names) that they will find an "outside partner", e.g. an angel investor or ten.

After KS fees, Amazon fees, federal/state taxes that $4.8m (right now) will be less. You also have to pay the staff involved. Pay fuseproject for their involvement and possibility repay previous investors.
The $4.8 million includes pre-orders, which is another way of saying that it covers the manufacturing costs (probably without much margin). It makes no sense to consider it the primary source of funding, because if it was they wouldn't be talking about running their own app store and facilitating ports.

Ed doesn't work for them. He is an investor and advisor. Huge difference.

They have a number of first/second investors. As I have said before, the Kickstarter campaign is to generate buzz and finish a prototype to bring to larger venture capitalists. The only 'employee' that we know about is Julie, and EVERYONE else are consultants.

More advisors, consultants, investors.
You keep saying that over and ove about how the only point of this campaign is to get VC's. OK. Where is your evidence? And while you're at it, where is an article saying these people have nothing to do with the company except investments, so their vast experience in getting hardware manufactured isn't going to help the Ouya get launched?

element

And while you're at it, where is an article saying these people have nothing to do with the company except investments, so their vast experience in getting hardware manufactured isn't going to help the Ouya get launched?
Ed Fries is an advisor/investor.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/edfries

Ed is a serial angel investor. He provides insight and advice. He doesn't work for these companies. Do you think that he is in the board room each day helping out with the details on this?

Do you think he is 'working' for all of the following:
Dhruva Interactive
Airtight Games
Emotiv Systems
Timeplay
WildTangent
FigurePrints
BreakAway Games
Meteor Solutions (not the Hawken people)
Smoking Gun Interactive
Exponential Entertainment
Real Life +
Mixamo
Ogmento
[a]list games
Z2Live
Omek Interactive
Imimtek
Curse Inc
OUYA

The only 'employees' we know about currently are Julie Uhrman, formerly of VP of IGN and GameFly, Muffi Ghadiali formerly of Lab126 (Amazon), Robert Mills who is their community manager. Everyone else they have mentioned are advisors or paid consultants.

You can see the advisory board here.
https://angel.co/ouya#overview

If Ed Fries, Peter Pham, and Amol Sarva are involved as some think they are, why aren't they in the video?

kuroshiki

You keep saying that over and ove about how the only point of this campaign is to get VC's. OK. Where is your evidence? And while you're at it, where is an article saying these people have nothing to do with the company except investments, so their vast experience in getting hardware manufactured isn't going to help the Ouya get launched?

Dude, do you work at Ouya or something?

wildfire

Banned
Sheesh. People are donating $120 on average to this project. They don't need to be working for them to be defending it.

Though I wonder how most will react if the production date gets pushed back. While I've said earlier the parts are easy to get and put together I forgot there are still issues that come from just configuring a production plant to make items. It took 1-2 years for manufacturing problems for startup computer keyboard projects I've been following to get fixed.

The preorders for those items don't compare in volume to this but it was a very stressful time. For a bigger venture like this any problems are going to flare up in the media and be magnified.

Thanks for the link element. It's good to know what type of support the Ouya project currently has ad this helps give people some idea. I found it interesting they have been getting surges in followers to their project on a periodic basis. They seem to have a basic scheduled plan on how to drum up support.

Dude, do you work at Ouya or something?

No, an article said that we know nothing about anybody related to the project, and many people/articles have said there's no way a company with no real experience could get a piece of hardware released with only $4 million. I was pointing out that there is a lot of expertise in manufacturing and releasing new hardware to the market directly associated with the company. So when someone says I'm wrong, I of course ask for evidence on that matter. I mean, think about it: why would an advisor with a financial stake in the company, not advise the company in matters they know about that could help the company?

Also, if someone keeps reporting over and over the same thing as fact, I like to know of he is just speculating or if he has evidence of this fact.

Boerseun

Banned
The $4 million plus will be used for manufacturing the kickstarter units. Marketing and setting up infrastructure don't come into it. And let's face it, the idea behind this kickstarter markets itself while common information and communication technologies negate a lot of the expenses that would formerly have been associated with setting up infrastructure.

Thanks for the link element. It's good to know what type of support the Ouya project currently has ad this helps give people some idea. I found it interesting they have been getting surges in followers to their project on a periodic basis. They seem to have a basic scheduled plan on how to drum up support.

The developers behind Hawken committing to it seems to have generated just such a surge. Deserved too, as that game looks simply amazing.

No, an article said that we know nothing about anybody related to the project, and many people/articles have said there's no way a company with no real experience could get a piece of hardware released with only $4 million. I was pointing out that there is a lot of expertise in manufacturing and releasing new hardware to the market directly associated with the company. So when someone says I'm wrong, I of course ask for evidence on that matter. I mean, think about it: why would an advisor with a financial stake in the company, not advise the company in matters they know about that could help the company?

Also, if someone keeps reporting over and over the same thing as fact, I like to know of he is just speculating or if he has evidence of this fact.

I fully agree with you. The expertise involved means things are unlikely to go awry at this stage. Many of the people commenting on this also seem to be over-estimating the complexity and cost of the technology involved here.

Risible

I decided to cancel my backing.

Once I thought it over I started to get worried. To build a fully featured box like that plus a controller that includes a toch screen in it and deliver it to consumers for only $99 seems almost impossible

If it actually gets to consumers it'll totally be worth the $99 even if no games ever materialize as it'll be an amazing XBMC machine. My main fear is that they find out that that can't deliver all those units on only the ~5 million they are going to raise.

Edit - the video they released also raised some red flags. Why so short? If you're going to release a video show some meat, not a quick flash in the pan type of thing.

Once I thought it over I started to get worried. To build a fully featured box like that plus a controller that includes a toch screen in it and deliver it to consumers for only $99 seems almost impossible

If it actually gets to consumers it'll totally be worth the $99 even if no games ever materialize as it'll be an amazing XBMC machine. My main fear is that they find out that that can't deliver all those units on only the ~5 million they are going to raise.

Edit - the video they released also raised some red flags. Why so short? If you're going to release a video show some meat, not a quick flash in the pan type of thing.

You aren't alone. They were at over 50,000 consoles now they are back in the 40,000 range.

I changed too but for different reasons. I think it's a cool project and a cool toy. And if I had a lot of extra money, I'd still get one. But frankly, it is a bit redundant for me as I already have an Ipad and a TV hooked up to a PC.

You aren't alone. They were at over 50,000 consoles now they are back in the 40,000 range.

I changed too but for different reasons. I think it's a cool project and a cool toy. And if I had a lot of extra money, I'd still get one. But frankly, it is a bit redundant for me as I already have an Ipad and a TV hooked up to a PC.

That shows how many preorders are remaining. If they were losing backers then the amount of money funded would be going down, not up like it is.

wildfire

Banned

Seriously you are thinking of this in the completely wrong way.

The bottom line is that the Ouya Kickstarter is a promise but not a guarantee to deliver units to the 30-50 thousand people who made a pledge. Considering the parts they are using it is extremely unlikely these people won't get their boxes.

But what about everyone else who decided not to pledge but instead wants to wait and see if those boxes are made?

When those units are released and the store/SDK is proven to not be garbage there will be a surge in demand for this item and it is unknown if the Ouya team can gain the capitol and manpower needed to supply people who didn't chip in.

That is the problem the Ouya faces. Anyone making the pledge now has a high chance of getting the box eventually. What they risk is ending up with a hackable emulation machine and nothing else because:

Anyone who didn't pledge wants an Ouya but can't get one because the team:

Failed to secure enough funding for full scale production
Or
Acquired the backing of investors but had to spread their money too thin on four key areas and went bust or ended up giving people a lackluster product.
The manufacturing of new units, buying up and supporting game developers to make first party titles, supporting devs to create and maintain their store infrastructure, and marketing budget.
Or
They just make a series of mistakes that delays the product's release and someone else (Steam or MS) release a comparable product and steals their thunder.

The risk of not getting a box is high for people who don't pledge. It is low for those who do pre-order.

The risk both share equally is on the follow through after the product's release. We don't know whether or not it can live up to the hype of becoming within a year:

An all in one emulator machine
An inexpensive quality media player.
An inexpensive gaming console.
A means to continue playing with your Android gaming library without it becoming broken by a new phone you get.

[edit]Came across a decent post on somethingawful with relevant links to back his source on information that isn't advertised as heavily but would make you more optimistic than negative.
First: Julie Uhrman has said that they've done a lot of work & fundraising already in various areas already, over the past 7 months (at least). They have a working prototype, for instance. This Kickstarter is not intended to fund Ouya's development. It is solely meant to fund the things mentioned on the Kickstarter - mainly, to fund first production runs & fund initial game development.
The Known Team

Founder - Julie Uhrman - Former IGN executive, but not news. Was in charge of digital distribution, so she does have some useful experience for this. Other work credits include:
  • VP, Digital Distribution at Gamefly, Inc
  • Vivendi Universal Games
  • Sierra Entertainment, Inc
  • Syndicate Associate at Wedbush Morgan Securities
Designer, Partner - Yves Behar - Hipster pop tech designer. His Jawbone bluetooth headset was even shown off at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art as part of an industrial design exhibit. Pretty well known throughout the tech industry as a mover & shaker. Note the following from this interview: He has "jumped into what Béhar termed a 'partnership,' in turn giving the studio a major share of both the risks and the incentives." In other words, he wasn't just hired on as a contractor; he's really throwing his weight, and thus, his reputation behind this project.
Advisor - Ed Fries - Created Microsoft Game Studios, then, over the next eight years, grew his team from fifty to over twelve-hundred people, published more than 100 games (including more than a dozen million-plus sellers), co-founded the Xbox project, and generally helped MS break into the console business. Since then he's been staying low, but has still found time for dozens of different companies. Current highlights include:
  • Advisor at IGDA (if you don't know them: "The International Game Developers Association is the largest non-profit membership organization serving individuals who create video games"
  • Program Advisor at Digipen
  • Board Member at WildTangent - Don't know them? They rent games online, digitally.
It's vaguely similar to the OnLive playpack. Not a huge success, but hugely relevant tech. Includes games like Torchlight, Defense Grid, World of Goo, Plants vs. Zombies, and Bejeweled. Separately, they also manage ads for companies like SOE and Popcap. Some great relationships to bring in here.
A "brilliant mind working the QA side of things" that we'll find out a lot more about in "the coming days"

The Storefront (Mostly from http://www.reddit.com/user/playouya...fter=t1_c5crttt)

• Storefront will definitely not have ads.
  • The storefront will be regulated to some extent; "stolen material" won't be permitted. One would assume this will include roms and explicit piracy apps.
  • It will not access the Android Market by default, it'll access OUYA's own storefront.

Hardware
  • They've heard complaints from color-blind customers about the controller button colors, and are working on it.
  • 1GB RAM is locked in and will not be changing.
  • An ethernet addition, however, is fairly likely.
  • They will be overclocking the system.

SDK will be out in December.
IAMA on Reddit with Julie Uhrman in "the coming days"
Announced OUYA Support:
  • Renegade Kid - Unspecified Game - Maker of Mutant Mudds (3DS), and the DS Dementium series, and Moon.
  • Meteor, Ent. - Unspecified Game - Publisher (i.e., not the devs) of Hawken.
  • Rival Threads
  • Moon Intern - To be fair this guy's KS isn't funded yet and he hasn't guaranteed a port, but it's looking likely.
  • A few other ongoing Kickstarters and small/unreleased mobile games that aren't really worth mentioning.
  • Unity
  • Meteor, Ent., the Hawken Publisher (i.e., not the devs) has announced support.
  • XGen Studios has announced support. These are the guys currently working on Super Motherload.
  • 467 other dev kits have been bought. So those are either small studios without much money who nevertheless bought a $1000 kit, or larger studios with plenty of money to throw around.

Regarding Hawken:

Hawken's coming to Ouya!
Uh-uh. Not for a long time, anyway. Two big problems here.
  • Number one is that Hawken runs on Epic's Unreal engine. There is no Android support for the UDK. It's supposedly coming, but we've got no info on when that'll show up. Basically this would make porting Hawken super hard. UE3 games have been ported to Android before, like Dungeon Defenders, but it's sure as hell not easy.
  • Secondly, the company that got onboard with Ouya is Meteor, Inc. The developers of Hawken are Adhesive Games. Meteor is the publisher. They do, of course, have a great deal of clout as to what platforms their game could be brought to, but it's still an important distinction to make.
Openness
Since it's Android, we'll be able to just jump on the market and grab any Android app or game! Huge built-in library!

No.
  • For one thing, the Ouya folks have confirmed the Google Play official Android market will not be installed by default. You'll have to sideload it. Furthermore, just because you can install an app doesn't mean it'll be fully compatible. From minor glitches like resolution and display problems, to anything else. May not even run. It's not unusual for an Android app to just straight-up crash on a specific handset even though it runs fine on 90% of the rest.
  • Software compatibility doesn't guarantee access to the content, either. Who knows if Hulu or Netflix or OnLive will allow you to access their services through this box. Now, I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm sure you'll be able to access a lot of poo poo and many games & apps should work fine. All I'm saying is availability is no guarantee that things will work right.

Piracy is gonna be universal on the Ouya because it's so open. (or) There will be no DRM anywhere on the Ouya.

• It's not gonna be that open. "The OUYA storefront will be regulated - we won't permit stolen material." This means no direct ROM downloads, either
  • Also, while some games will be easy to pirate, you can bet some will implement their own DRM schemes, too. Something like a login system like Minecraft or Battle.net.

The controller does NOT have a touch screen. It has a track pad, which are cheap. There is no screen. And note, at least for the initial batch (the Kickstarter rewards), they are getting more than $99 for each one. Because not all pledges are for the device alone, some are even just to support it with no device offered. And some with devices are quite a bit more expensive than $99. Running the numbers as they stand, they are getting almost $140 for each device in the pledge (of which I'd bet the actual BOM is a fairly small percentage).

It's 3 minutes long, about the length of most Kickstarer videos, dunno what you expect there, considering right now it's a prototype board with no games and some renders of what the final product might look like.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm going to cancel my backing. I'll wait and see this one out. I'm being sold on promise. Why? What would be the difference between backing it now and buying it later? None. So good luck

FLEABttn

Banned
Yeah, I'm out. The more I read and hear about this, the less I want it, and I don't even have the HDMI ports for the thing.

1) Satellite
2) PS3
3) Saturn

And let me tell you, my Saturn will win in an HDMI fight with the Ouya.

Benedict

I'm sticking to my order.
See no reason to cancel this kickstarter support.

edit: they have so far sold 333 developer kits and 190 1337-kits:
That's 523 developers making content for the machine.
They probably also will give away some kits to certain developers as well.

The guy who made the fart app on Iphone was a developer to.

Yeah, I'm out. The more I read and hear about this, the less I want it, and I don't even have the HDMI ports for the thing.

1) Satellite
2) PS3
3) Saturn

And let me tell you, my Saturn will win in an HDMI fight with the Ouya.

You have a Saturn hooked up? Nice ole skool :)

twofold

Why are people cancelling? What news has shown in the past few days that have made this unreliable?

Because it doesn't make sense to support them at the moment. As a non-backer, you're in a win-win situation. If the console comes out, congrats, you can buy one. If it doesn't, you're not out $100 from backing the KS.

This is a very risky project with a number of unknowns. There's a high chance that the team won't deliver on their promises and this project could be a flop. Chancing $100 on the project when there's so much other cool stuff to spend it on doesn't make much sense.

kuroshiki

This is android machine. You don't need developer kit to make an android app.

Therefore I don't see the point why people buy so called 'developer' kit for this thing.

Jasoneyu

This is android machine. You don't need developer kit to make an android app.

Therefore I don't see the point why people buy so called 'developer' kit for this thing.

Perhaps to test the controller/hardware/OS with your game that you developed on the android platform.

kuroshiki

Perhaps to test the controller/hardware/OS with your game that you developed on the android platform.

So instead of selling it to android market with potential of millions of customers, selling the app specially designed for perhaps less than 50k customers?

I really don't see the point.

Top Bottom