• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

If this succeeds, I think it has the potential to be massively disruptive to the entire non-PC industry, and not just of relevance to gaming.

Even though it is now official that Android has a larger market share than iOS, it was always going to take a mainstream push into the living room to really cement it as the de facto non-PC operating system. I had always thought this would be delivered through Sony's Android PS Suite, but the more people I see jumping on this bandwagon, along with the myriad of other TV-Friendly Android devices, the more I think that it's not going to be one single device that places Android as the premier ARM/Mobile operating system, but the drip-drip-drip of many smaller devices.

The proposition of one account, with purchased apps available to use on phones, tablets, games consoles, TVs, set top boxes, even toasters is going to prove irresistible to a lot of people. As history has shown us, lock-in is a vital tool to drive consumer loyalty, and if an overwhelming amount of devices in the future home are powered by Android, it makes the decision a bit of a no-brainer.

If I were Google, I'd be throwing money hand over fist at a selection of these start-ups. They may just succeed where Google TV failed.

demigod

You're not buying a product, you're investing in an idea. A high reward tier might give you the product but that's not what you're paying for.

Still you should take your own advice and realize noone is an investor here. Kickstarter projects are funded by donations. If anyone was an investor they could report the kickstarter foundation to the SEC for setting up a crappy stock market.

As far as I can tell, these people WANT AAA games on the device. They aren't trying to make an indy game console, they are trying to make a game console. Period. They may not get what they want, but they aren't trying to mislead anybody. They are just like me...very optimistic.

I want indie games. I don't give a shit if they're exclusive. That's all I'm buying it for. Secondary uses are the cherry on the top, it's the idea of an open market catering to indie devs that has me excited. Whether or not they take advantage of this opportunity is up to them. All I can do is support the product and hope indie devs take to it to encourage the audience to grow.

/giggle, people who are backing this project are contradicting each other.

Keep dreaming if you think publishers are going to put AAA titles on this machine with 50k userbase that's easily hackable. What you're going to get are android ports and indie games. These games won't be cheap either.

/giggle, people who are backing this project are contradicting each other.

Keep dreaming if you think publishers are going to put AAA titles on this machine with 50k userbase that's easily hackable. What you're going to get are android ports and indie games. These games won't be cheap either.

AAA titles will happen. They are already happening on "rootable" devices - just look at the Xperia Play. Sony already allow you to unlock the bootloader legitimately, and we've seen a trickle of AAA titles on it.

I think there are several compelling reasons to expect AAA titles on an Android console:

1 - An android console would support nigh on exact tablet resolutions, so already user base issues are a moot point - Android tablet apps would run with little to no effort!

2 - Android has the largest installed base of all mobile operating systems, so it's a tempting choice for developers.

3 - Rooting doesn't automatically allow pirating - it's not really the same thing as the Wii, PS3 hacks for example. Lots of apps will now independently verify their legitimacy whether the device is rooted or not, adding another layer of security.

4 - Lastly, if the developers are that paranoid about rooted devices, they can always make apps that refuse to run whilst the device is rooted. These already exist, and as rooting Ouya will be optional, it is feasible that a user with a rooted Oouya could be made to temporarily unroot the device to play generic AAA title #57.

fauxtrot

Banned
I can only imagine how insane this thread is going to get when the cancellation deadline passes and the developers of this thing actually release concrete details...

It's also a lot simpler.

I currently have an Acer Revo hooked up to my TV as an HTPC, but outside of it being extremely slow for everything but playing back video, I'm also dealing with Windows on a huge TV, which isn't really that fun. Sure I could use XBMC, but it's still just a shell on top of a complicated thing.

Why not use xbmc live or similar for a lightweight os install?

This thing could be the perfect low power xbmc box finally. More powerful than apple tv 2/3 and with full 1080p.
Won't even need to install another os with xbmc fir android recently announced.

demigod

AAA titles will happen. They are already happening on "rootable" devices - just look at the Xperia Play. Sony already allow you to unlock the bootloader legitimately, and we've seen a trickle of AAA titles on it.

I think there are several compelling reasons to expect AAA titles on an Android console:

1 - An android console would support nigh on exact tablet resolutions, so already user base issues are a moot point - Android tablet apps would run with little to no effort!

2 - Android has the largest installed base of all mobile operating systems, so it's a tempting choice for developers.

3 - Rooting doesn't automatically allow pirating - it's not really the same thing as the Wii, PS3 hacks for example. Lots of apps will now independently verify their legitimacy whether the device is rooted or not, adding another layer of security.

4 - Lastly, if the developers are that paranoid about rooted devices, they can always make apps that refuse to run whilst the device is rooted. These already exist, and as rooting Ouya will be optional, it is feasible that a user with a rooted Oouya could be made to temporarily unroot the device to play generic AAA title #57.

Can you name some Xperia Play AAA titles? I was interested in it last year until Sony Ericsson decided to launch that shit at a higher cost than an iphone.

1+2 , how can you say user base and android has the largest user base when....you have to buy the shit again for this console? The 50k user base is this console, you can't add mobile phone/tablet user base with this console just because they run off of android. They don't use the same store.

That's false BTW, developers have long complained about how hard it is to make money from android.

It's not false. There are many articles talking about how Android is the largest mobile OS now. For example, try here or here. (EDIT: Second link is a Google article, so take it with as much salt as required).

Can you name some Xperia Play AAA titles? I was interested in it last year until Sony Ericsson decided to launch that shit at a higher cost than an iphone.

Off the top of my head:

Fifa 2010/11/12
Pro Evo 2012
GTA III
Sims 3
Dead Space 2
Tetris
Madden NFL
Assasins Creed

All of the above support a rooted Xperia Play. There are More, I just CBA looking them up right now.

1+2 , how can you say user base and android has the largest user base when....you have to buy the shit again for this console? The 50k user base is this console, you can't add mobile phone/tablet user base with this console just because they run off of android. They don't use the same store.

They will all run the Google Android market (aka Google Play). Even devices that don't explicitly ship with it (Kindle Fire, I'm looking at you) can load it and use it. Therefore, anyone with an Android tablet / smartphone already has access to all of their apps on this console through Google Play.

The point I was making about install base, is that the console will run the same version of Android that is already in Android phones and tablets, and will use the same resolution as an Android tablet. This appears to make software support for the console a no-brainer, as if a game (Take GTA III for example) is already released on a tablet, it'll run on the console too (providing it supports joypads... either way this is a minor detail - the hard work is mostly done).

When you look at it this way, it looks rosey for the console, as devs could just shovel Android tablet releases over with a few tweaks for joypads, with little to no additional expense and risk.

Is this situation optimal? Nope. But in the short term, I'd quite happily take a console with a bespoke games store and a trickle of new releases, backed up with the Android Market and all the games already available on there. It means that there won't be a situation where there is little to no software at launch for the thing.

twofold

Why not use xbmc live or similar for a lightweight os install?

This thing could be the perfect low power xbmc box finally. More powerful than apple tv 2/3 and with full 1080p.
Won't even need to install another os with xbmc fir android recently announced.

The Raspberry Pi can run XBMC fine and play 1080p stuff. My friend has one and it's an incredible piece of kit. Only costs about $30, too. It's also available to buy today.

The Raspberry Pi can run XBMC fine and play 1080p stuff. My friend has one and it's an incredible piece of kit. Only costs about $30, too. It's also available to buy today.

Yeah I know about the Pi but as things get higher bit rate it may struggle, how does it handle he netflix, iplayer and the like?
Its certainly on my radar though.

Yup - its also a CHARITY - a big aim of it is to create the developers of yesterday - today.

Ouya is a private company, anyone 'donating' to them is insane, your giving someone money to profit - nothing more. They just got enough money to deliver some form of product - they don't even have a website (I think development probably started a small while before kickstarter and was mostly 'marketing' talk) - yet their now looking for 'more' money.

Why are people investing money in a company who'll give nothing back if their successful. You or someone close to you (likely) has worked hard for that money - its been earned through more work than Ouya is currently showing.

Facebook gave shares to people to do work for them; probably for money too. They didn't take 'donations' as they were a private company.

Some people say - but its preorders! Then preorder 'properly' with financial security through their website...oh, they haven't set that up? No. This is not pre-orders, these are not legal transactions for a product. This is 'if we can we'll give you '...' for '...''. We don't have to and we will charge you up front.

Kickstarter takes part of every investment, so why aren't they looking for business partners? Because they don't have a plan and they don't have the information to show what this product can do.

So despite some peoples complaints - I do say to people - cancel your donation (ain't calling it anything else) and wait and see. As Ouya say themselves, their going to raise capital elsewhere too (what for? I have no idea - they have close to 5 million, they could start the business up right there (hence the name 'Kickstarter') - and likely they'll waste a lot of that money chasing invisible money. (start a fucking website for gods sakes! If not for potential customers/potential investors - for DEVELOPERS to actually get info from).

Am still planning to get a Raspberry Pi; its a great piece of kit at a fantastic price. I don't programme; but it still offers a lot and quite frankly the hackable stuff is there - its 100% writable and the community will create around it.

It can be a brilliant media device and more. And as I say - you will be financially aiding the education of children and students! Well done!

Fifa 2010/11/12
Pro Evo 2012
GTA III
Sims 3
Dead Space 2
Tetris
Madden NFL
Assasins Creed

I've bolded the "AAA" titles for you, the rest is mobile games. You can't compare:

Ds_mobile_cover_temp.jpg
to
Dead_Space_2_Box_Art.jpg

assassins-creed-20090413105216106_640w_1240357231.jpg
to
Assassins_Creed_Revelations_Cover.jpg

kuroshiki

The problem is android is known for not making enough money for developers. The piracy rate is just crazy batshit insane in there.

Also there are no AAA titles in android, period.

twofold

Yeah I know about the Pi but as things get higher bit rate it may struggle, how does it handle he netflix, iplayer and the like?
Its certainly on my radar though.

Ahh, seems like it doesn't have support for netflix and iplayer. That's a shame.

I wish a jailbreak would come out for the 3rd gen apple tv. It'd make an excellent media box.

wondermega

The problem is android is known for not making enough money for developers. The piracy rate is just crazy batshit insane in there.

Also there are no AAA titles in android, period.

I make indie games for iOS & Android. I have made way, way more money on the Android market personally (not that it's been "a lot," but it's certainly been worth my while)

Piracy is crappy but that's never going to change. On the other hand, there are more than enough people willing to actually pay for things that it can sustain a market - either buying priced software, or ad-supported or freemium games.

wildfire

Banned
I came for the rage and stayed for the lolz. This thread will be delivering all the way into 2013.

It is the perfect preamble for 2014 Console war. :)

I can only imagine how insane this thread is going to get when the cancellation deadline passes and the developers of this thing actually release concrete details...

They already gave concrete details that can make you negative about certain things. What you should be waiting for is is the reaction if developers who put in $600+ don't receive their rooted Ouya kits on time.

It's not false. There are many articles talking about how Android is the largest mobile OS now.

That part isn't false but that isn't what he was referring to. He was saying your claims that devs would be tempted to work on Android is false. iOS gets the lionshare of development and positive outlooks. Devs aren't hapy with Android inspite of it's large install base because that install base spends significantly less money than iOS users.

kuroshiki

I make indie games for iOS & Android. I have made way, way more money on the Android market personally (not that it's been "a lot," but it's certainly been worth my while)

Piracy is crappy but that's never going to change. On the other hand, there are more than enough people willing to actually pay for things that it can sustain a market - either buying priced software, or ad-supported or freemium games.

Do you mind telling me the name of the games you created, just for info?

Radec

So many optimistic people here. Good luck with this device, it looks interesting.

They could use a name change though.

I haven't read through all 27 pages, but have they indicated any sort of PS3V/WiiU type of functionality, where I could control the box with my phone? Booting up Netflix on OUYA and controlling it by flicking on my phone would be amazing.

Chuckpebble

I unsubscribed to 1UP's RSS feed because of two consecutive posts about this thing. It seemed a little shameless for my taste. Haven't really read anything on that feed that interested me in a while anyway.

EDIT: also, I'm sure this has been posted.
The PA Report

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I unsubscribed to 1UP's RSS feed because of two consecutive posts about this thing. It seemed a little shameless for my taste. Haven't really read anything on that feed that interested me in a while anyway.

EDIT: also, I'm sure this has been posted.
The PA Report

Okay, so the author of that 'report' is dismissing the Ouya, how is this different from any other skeptic? He doesn't have any facts that it will fail, just speculation.

It's just as good as me saying it will succeed.

Paragraphs and paragraphs of babble, he gets paid for that, all the power to him.

Also, he even declares that the Ouya doesn't match the hype, yet he is uncertain on whether or not it will fail.

It will be great if the OUYA is a high quality system that finds success, despite the fact it’s worth throwing some cold water on the hype

When you want to argue a point, you don't give credence to both sides. Amateur.

don't think it's been posted, pardon if so

gamertag radio podcats intvw w/ ouya founder
http://www.gamertagradio.com/new/2012/07/episode-349-podcast-interview-with-ouya-founder-ceo-julie-uhrman/

I listened to that for a few minutes, it was painful. The interviewer had a hard time getting out a really wordy question...that was entirely irrelevant. He was asking about learning curve for using a touchscreen controller...which the Ouya does not have. After the interviewee has already talked about the touch"PAD" multiple times. One would think that people would do the minimum research before an interview :)

I haven't read through all 27 pages, but have they indicated any sort of PS3V/WiiU type of functionality, where I could control the box with my phone? Booting up Netflix on OUYA and controlling it by flicking on my phone would be amazing.

That sounds like something they will leave up to other people to develop.
With open hardware, it could be done.

Keep dreaming if you think publishers are going to put AAA games on these machines with literally no userbase(PS4, XBox 720, Wii-U)...

And I hope to hell you're right about the fact that games won't be cheap. You know the biggest reason big developers don't treat Android and iOS platforms with respect? Because the userbase is used to paying only $1-5 for a game. As a developer, there's nothing I can do on that budget except make a mobile-quality game. I program iOS games for a living, and I've always hated Apple for not offering a "premium app store" with higher prices for high quality games. Even Nintendo DS games got far higher budgets than most iOS or Android games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If this succeeds, I think it has the potential to be massively disruptive to the entire non-PC industry, and not just of relevance to gaming.

Even though it is now official that Android has a larger market share than iOS, it was always going to take a mainstream push into the living room to really cement it as the de facto non-PC operating system. I had always thought this would be delivered through Sony's Android PS Suite, but the more people I see jumping on this bandwagon, along with the myriad of other TV-Friendly Android devices, the more I think that it's not going to be one single device that places Android as the premier ARM/Mobile operating system, but the drip-drip-drip of many smaller devices.

The proposition of one account, with purchased apps available to use on phones, tablets, games consoles, TVs, set top boxes, even toasters is going to prove irresistible to a lot of people. As history has shown us, lock-in is a vital tool to drive consumer loyalty, and if an overwhelming amount of devices in the future home are powered by Android, it makes the decision a bit of a no-brainer.

If I were Google, I'd be throwing money hand over fist at a selection of these start-ups. They may just succeed where Google TV failed.

With fragmentation, none of that will happen. This might do well but I don't see the big differences between it and those niche handhelds that get released every year or so.

If Apple slapped an A5X in the next apple TV and released an official Bluetooth controller for it, *that* would be disruptive

Risible

Keep dreaming if you think publishers are going to put AAA games on these machines with literally no userbase(PS4, XBox 720, Wii-U)...

I wish this counter-argument would die. There is no comparison. We're talking proven companies with proven products that have produced AAA titles that made many millions.

You're trying to equate Android gaming and Ouya to that? C'mon.

diffusionx

Gold Member

That was part of the point behind the Eurogamer article.

Yes the PS4 and 720 have no userbase, but they also have a giant corporation with lots of resources at its disposal working to change that. When a developer "buys into" the 720, they are betting on Microsoft putting in the resources to ensure this thing has a userbase that will be satisfactory to that developer.

Ouya, you can't say the same. Obviously.

And I hope to hell you're right about the fact that games won't be cheap. You know the biggest reason big developers don't treat Android and iOS platforms with respect? Because the userbase is used to paying only $1-5 for a game. As a developer, there's nothing I can do on that budget except make a mobile-quality game. I program iOS games for a living, and I've always hated Apple for not offering a "premium app store" with higher prices for high quality games. Even Nintendo DS games got far higher budgets than most iOS or Android games.

There are higher budget games on iOS, like most Square titles. I don't know if people buy them or not (I haven't), but plenty of people including here laugh at them for doing it.

There has been a race to the bottom on game pricing, but it's what people want. I don't expect it to be any different on Ouya, TBH. Witness the misleading "free to play" focus of the initial pitch for evidence.

I wish this counter-argument would die. There is no comparison. We're talking proven companies with proven products that have produced AAA titles that made many millions.

You're trying to equate Android gaming and Ouya to that? C'mon.

It would die if people stopped using the argument that the only people who will ever buy the Ouya in its entire lifetime are going to be the tiny percentage of people who would fund a Kickstarter campaign for $99 or more. If 50,000 people are willing to do that, imagine how many people will buy these things normally, especially when there are actual games running on the device that they can buy (everyone of which will have at least a free demo).

As for "proven companies" with many AAA games behind their belt, how many did Sony have before they jumped into the gaming market with Nintendo and Sega? None. How many did Microsoft have when they entered? OK, one (Microsoft Flight Sim, something they never leveraged on the XBox).

There has been a race to the bottom on game pricing, but it's what people want. I don't expect it to be any different on Ouya, TBH. Witness the misleading "free to play" focus of the initial pitch for evidence.

Not misleading, as has been stated over and over (EVERY TIME they've brought it up they've talked about game demos), but anyways, that's actually their argument for higher prices. Without a demo, people aren't willing to spend a lot on a system with lots of indie games, because what you buy has a good chance of being crap. With demos, only actually good games will sell, and people will be willing to pay more for a game they already know they like. That's their argument, anyways, but since they are leaving pricing compleltely up to developers, I dunno how realistic that's gonna be.

It would die if people stopped using the argument that the only people who will ever buy the Ouya in its entire lifetime are going to be the tiny percentage of people who would fund a Kickstarter campaign for $99 or more. If 50,000 people are willing to do that, imagine how many people will buy these things normally, especially when there are actual games running on the device that they can buy (everyone of which will have at least a free demo).

The people likely to buy an Ouya share a commonality with the demographic likely to know about kickstarter, have access to the MANY new outlets that have reported on it, and be in the tech loop and market already. I still question the mass market appeal to a device like this. Time will tell, but there are no guarantees.

As for "proven companies" with many AAA games behind their belt, how many did Sony have before they jumped into the gaming market with Nintendo and Sega? None. How many did Microsoft have when they entered? OK, one (Microsoft Flight Sim, something they never leveraged on the XBox).

Are you really equating this start-up to (even at the time they entered the gaming space) decades old tech giants like Microsoft and Sony, who had the immediate resources to build and farm that development talent themselves from the onset?
C'mon son. You cannot deny that there will be a steep hill to climb here as far as attracting AAA development.

Jeff-DSA

Okay, so the author of that 'report' is dismissing the Ouya, how is this different from any other skeptic? He doesn't have any facts that it will fail, just speculation.

It's just as good as me saying it will succeed.

Paragraphs and paragraphs of babble, he gets paid for that, all the power to him.

Also, he even declares that the Ouya doesn't match the hype, yet he is uncertain on whether or not it will fail.

When you want to argue a point, you don't give credence to both sides. Amateur.

From the get go Ben was whining about it on Twitter mostly because it was based on Android. From there he fished for more reasons to hate on it. This is the culmination of his week of whining.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Sony also spent billions of dollars to enter the market - think of the advertising, buying up developers (Psygnosis), designing the system, etc.

Microsoft, it goes without saying. The Xbox was a money pit from 2001 through what, 2010? We are talking about losses of billions of dollars here, that MS just absorbed.

It takes a lot of resources to enter the hardware market. Ask Sega, they'll tell you. They basically got pushed out of the market because they didn't have the funds to compete. That's not to say that a new player can't succeed by doing it differently, but really, Sony and MS offer no lessons that could apply to Ouya.

Dreamwriter said:
With demos, only actually good games will sell, and people will be willing to pay more for a game they already know they like. That's their argument, anyways, but since they are leaving pricing compleltely up to developers, I dunno how realistic that's gonna be.

Yea, I don't think it is. There are demos on the app stores, and people still only want to pay $1. I mean, I know I like Final Fantasy Tactics (actually I know I love it) but I am in no hurry to spend the $12 or whatever it costs on iPhone.

element

It's not false. There are many articles talking about how Android is the largest mobile OS now. For example, try here or here. (EDIT: Second link is a Google article, so take it with as much salt as required).
Those articles reference userbase, not sales or profitability.

Did you even read the survey? It was asking what game you *wanted* to be on the system. How is that shady in any way?
They asked people openly what games they wanted and the data back was all over the place. Ouya then picked 20 games for the second survey. That is where it becomes shady.

They will all run the Google Android market (aka Google Play).
I highly doubt that it will ship with Google Play. Ouya wants to control THEIR store and make sure they are getting THEIR profits. The analogy above saying you are going to have a concert in your backyard and giving people a list of The Who, Metallica, Pearl Jam, and your brothers band is pretty accurate in how they are approaching this.

Have you been able to do indie development full time from your profits?

Another quick question: have they actually built or prototyped one of these yet? Or its it still completely theoretical? I want to fund and need the deets lol.

Another quick question: have they actually built or prototyped one of these yet? Or its it still completely theoretical? I want to fund and need the deets lol.

Pardon me if I've missed some big development update, but I don't think we've seen the actual console or controller yet. We have those pictures in the original post, but I don't think those are indicative of a final design.

We do have a short video showing the interface. However, we can't tell how far along it's actually progressed, and that man definitely doesn't appear to be controlling it with that controller.

Again, people are likely becoming concerned because there is little to actually show them. There are some great ideas, but so far, they remain ideas. I think, once we are shown concrete details, games, and hardware, we'll see more supporters.

totowhoa

Banned
Just saw this posted elsewhere:

From OUYA Twitter "@bluecollarart Yes, rooting would wipe it, but we are also working on the idea of un-rooting to restore previous profile, and get it back."

This might be the piracy solution? You can't pull a game that isn't there. Interesting to see how this will work.

I haven't followed the andriod platform or piracy problem at all, but would this work against a lot of the outright, rampant piracy for this platform?

kuroshiki

Dude I know you love ouya as your firstborn child, (at this point I'm suspecting you are either trolling or have relative working on this) but seriously?

Top Bottom