• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

That's cool to know. I don't find it that surprising since it has components similar to phones and tablets (minus the battery) which are already small compared to consoles.

Considering the inputs on the thing are probably just a USB port, an ethernet port, an HDMI port, and a power port, yeah, the thing should be pretty tiny.

If it can play android games I'm happy.

Will be a day on purchase if:
Netflix Support (Google App)
Funimation Support (Google App)
Hulu Support (Google App)
Emulation (16 bit)

If it can play my collection of purchased Google Play games, that would be icing on the cake. :)

Are my expectation unrealistic?
Netflix: It can play 1080p video, so I'm sure it's something they'll do. Especially since they have twitch.tv support.
Funimation: Probably possible, though I don't know how likely.
Hulu: Hulu's on everything, so I'm sure it will.
Emulation: I'm wagering on PSX and moderate N64 emulation.

Netflix: It can play 1080p video, so I'm sure it's something they'll do. Especially since they have twitch.tv support.
Funimation: Probably possible, though I don't know how likely.
Hulu: Hulu's on everything, so I'm sure it will.
Emulation: I'm wagering on PSX and moderate N64 emulation.

I already have the Funimation app on my Android Phone. The main question is will it even need ported. :)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

Emulation (16 bit)

If it can play my collection of purchased Google Play games, that would be icing on the cake. :)

I assume that for at least the emulation you'll be forced to root the device. They said on their Twitter account that the Ouya store is wiped from the device if you root it, but they're considering letting you un-root and restore to get the marketplace back.

DiscoJer

I assume that for at least the emulation you'll be forced to root the device. They said on their Twitter account that the Ouya store is wiped from the device if you root it, but they're considering letting you un-root and restore to get the marketplace back.

That's one of my questions though - if every Ouya is a devkit, doesn't that mean you can run your own code? At worst I would think you would be able to get the source of an emulator and compile it yourself.

Unless they have a special firmware for developing...and you have to flip between the two.

That's one of my questions though - if every Ouya is a devkit, doesn't that mean you can run your own code? At worst I would think you would be able to get the source of an emulator and compile it yourself.

Unless they have a special firmware for developing...and you have to flip between the two.

Every Ouya is a devkit *if you root it*. Which removes the ability to run any Ouya software from the store. They've said they might create a way to "unroot" it and get everything back, I'd bet doing so does the same thing, removing any software not from their store.

DiscoJer

Every Ouya is a devkit *if you root it*. Which removes the ability to run any Ouya software from the store. They've said they might create a way to "unroot" it and get everything back, I'd bet doing so does the same thing, removing any software not from their store.

Hmmm, that makes sense, but certainly is less than I hoped. I mean, pretty much everything is a "devkit" if you root it.

I was hoping it would be open, more like the old computers - C64 and whatnot.

saunderez

Hmmm, that makes sense, but certainly is less than I hoped. I mean, pretty much everything is a "devkit" if you root it.

I was hoping it would be open, more like the old computers - C64 and whatnot.

Well there is the AIDE (Android Integrated Development Environment) which lets you write, compile and run all on the one device.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...EBnZsa4vk6dn3Onxw&sig2=xKgDzlrB2xz1KDGlcvnE-w

There's no reason something like this couldn't be adapted for Ouya development. Unfortunately you still need to learn Java.

tino

Banned

A moderfied version of the store apk probably will show up day one. How the hell do you govern the root community? You can't.

Herb

Banned
I don't know if that's a prototype or test render, but the controller looks like it might be the best one of all time. Look forward to seeing more.

WTF? Why?

Security, obviously - sure there will still be piracy, but they have to make it difficult enough that the average joe won't go to the effort (and if they want the AAA developers, they need to put up as much security as they can). And then there's customer support, they don't want to have to deal with people calling up their support center who don't know better rooting their system and installing something not sold in the store that runs in the background making actual Ouya apps run slow or crash, or worse stealing the user's store info and sending it somewhere over the internet.

Remember, they are targeting this at casual and hardcore gamers, not at hackers. They are leaving it open for hackers to do what they will, but Ouya's main source of income is going to be their app store.

I'm sure an emulator app dev will be there day one. Emulators are on the Android store now, and I would bet they will be on the Ouya store as well.

I can't remember where, but I heard that they will not allow stolen software on the Ouya app store, nor software that encourages the stealing of software. That would mean emulators. Unfortunately, I can't find where I read that, it's a hard subject to search for when so many of the Ouya articles and tweets and stuff are about how plagued with piracy the system is going to be.

sakipon

I can't remember where, but I heard that they will not allow stolen software on the Ouya app store, nor software that encourages the stealing of software. That would mean emulators. Unfortunately, I can't find where I read that, it's a hard subject to search for when so many of the Ouya articles and tweets and stuff are about how plagued with piracy the system is going to be.
If they want to have a serious console at their hands, this might be a good tactic to start with.

Emulation (16 bit)

My One XL (lower than tegra 3) can do PSX and N64 (smooth on games that run but a lot aren't emulated correctly) so I'd say 16bit is a reasonable expectation.

I don't like this idea of rooted kits not having store support. I would want to buy and support good games; however, I feel there is going to be more bank for the buck in the rooted community. Seems like they don't want my money.

Just have a feeling we will get rooted android ports and better emulation. >.>

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just announced, OnLive is coming to Ouya. Also we'll get to see the controller later today.

When OnLive first heard about OUYA, we were excited to see console gaming becoming more available and open. Like OUYA, we came to gaming with a new vision for making top-quality gaming accessible to more people, and we continue to look for ways to expand on that vision.

OUYA is rethinking the console business, making waves by using standard technology to make gaming for your living room accessible, affordable and more innovative than ever. In OnLive's case, we pioneered a groundbreaking, cloud-based system that instantly delivers games to any device on demand.

We are pleased to announce that OnLive will be available on OUYA at launch, extending and building on our commitment to make the best games available to everyone, everywhere.

What does that mean for OUYA backers?

OnLive will deliver a full console-class experience, bringing hundreds of top-tier games from more than 80 publishers to the OUYA console for play on demand.
OUYA owners will be able to jump in and play any of these games both at home on their OUYA console, and on the go on PCs, Macs, tablets and phones, never leaving a game behind.
Instant demos will be available for nearly every game in our ever-growing library—from eagerly anticipated indie titles like Ravaged, to hot blockbusters like the upcoming Darksiders® II. Players can experience up to 30 minutes of each game for free before deciding what to buy. If they like it, they can continue playing where the demo left off.
OnLive already delivers a premium gaming experience to tablets, smartphones, PCs, Macs, connected TVs and HDTVs via the OnLive® Game System or dedicated streaming devices like the VIZIO Co-Star. We’re pleased to deliver the same OnLive experience on the OUYA console when it launches next year.

—Bruce Grove, General Manager, OnLive

salromano

Just announced, OnLive is coming to Ouya. Also we'll get to see the controller later today.

onlive-coming-ouyaw0zxf.jpg

ouya_07-27_0018ejub.jpg

ouya_07-27_00201kym.jpg

ouya_07-27_00349k86.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/275869

If this can run SNES/MD/NEOGEO games properly without frameskip bollocks then it will make for an awesome emulation machine. And with USB we can use any controller, I am sure.

fritolay

With Gabe not happy about Windows 8, why doesn't he port steam to this? Steam edition that lists games that can play on this console.

Could you imagine your steam library on this thing, day 1?

Now we only need that the thousands of game developers port their Steam games to Android. Everybody knows that you can port any game from Windows to Android with a few simple steps.

I don't know anything about programming and porting, is it really that simple?

I don't know anything about programming and porting, is it really that simple?

Yes, you only need to change the graphics encapsulation to allow the graphics to work on regular TV instead of PC monitors, and make the classes static to prevent any kind of interferences from the TV signal. Also change those EXE files for APK.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but this is like asking if Sony can make a firmware patch to be able to run Steam games. No, is not simple at all.

drspeedy

Now we only need that the thousands of game developers port their Steam games to Android. Everybody knows that you can port any game from Windows to Android with a few simple steps.

I usually just run win2android.exe, it takes forever (about 2 minutes) but every game I've tried runs well so far. Crysis2 only runs around 24fps, tho.

lolololololo

micster

*Plays Portal 2 Steam on PS3*

That's a game which is on Steam, yes. It works because Valve ported the Source engine and coded it for the PS3 and 360. 95% of games on Steam are not on the Source engine and Valve have not shown any indication on porting it. Because there is no need. Plus it would still require a lot of extra coding and play testing. Would it be nice if a whole library of games suddenly became playable? Yes. But it wont happen. They still need 90% of their library to be Mac Compatible way before thinking about mobile.

That's a game which is on Steam, yes. It works because Valve ported the Source engine and coded it for the PS3 and 360. 95% of games on Steam are not on the Source engine and Valve have not shown any indication on porting it. Because there is no need. Plus it would still require a lot of extra coding and play testing. Would it be nice if a whole library of games suddenly became playable? Yes. But it wont happen. They still need 90% of their library to be Mac Compatible way before thinking about mobile.

I was just counter trolling him.

But to be honest, as nice as it would be to have a library of Steam games, I don't think necessary. I have a strong feeling, if this thing picks up, this thing could be an indie dev's golden ticket into the living room.

Blackhead

Redarse

Yes, you only need to change the graphics encapsulation to allow the graphics to work on regular TV instead of PC monitors, and make the classes static to prevent any kind of interferences from the TV signal. Also change those EXE files for APK.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but this is like asking if Sony can make a firmware patch to be able to run Steam games. No, is not simple at all.

I mean it's a good longterm idea for Valve. Both Microsoft and Apple are closing their platforms and Linux is a nonstarter. Android is a growing platform that should be ripe for a steam client. It will also remain open for the foreseeable future.

FWIW, Android already supports keyboard and mouse input so gameplay wise there would be fewer modifications needed for porting many Steam games to an OUYA console compared to the challenges facing touchscreen game developers.

AAA developers no longer have any incentive to develop for Ouya - I mean, for a while a AAA game on Ouya would have been big news, and would have sold tons beside all the indie games. But now that Ouya is becoming an OnLive terminal, some of the biggest AAA games will be available on the device already, in their superior PC form. And why go to the effort of developing natively for Ouya, when you can just make a few small changes to your PC version and put it up on OnLive?

Top Bottom