• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Same here.

Maybe I haven't read up enough on this but what is the point really? It basically plays games you could already play on your phone or mobile device, except on a TV?

That's exactly the feeling I get, but it could be my ignorance.

I guess since it is hackable, you can play retro games.

But, are devs really going to develop for it when it is hackable and people will just get their games for free?

Just doesn't appeal to me, whether or not it's my ignorance.

saunderez

But, are devs really going to develop for it when it is hackable and people will just get their games for free?
For the 10 millionth time in this thread it never stopped anyone developing for any other hackable platform ever. PC hackable. IOS hackable. Android hackable. 360 hackable. PS3 hackable. Wii hackable. The games continue to flow.

Dude I know you love ouya as your firstborn child, (at this point I'm suspecting you are either trolling or have relative working on this) but seriously?

If you would look at what I quoted, I was making fun of someone for claiming that nobody would ever develop for the Ouya because it only had 50,000 owners. I was using his exact wording and pointing out how ignorant the statement was.

Keep dreaming if you think publishers are going to put AAA titles on this machine with 50k userbase
Keep dreaming if you think publishers are going to put AAA games on these machines with literally no userbase(PS4, XBox 720, Wii-U)...

Same here.

Maybe I haven't read up enough on this but what is the point really? It basically plays games you could already play on your phone or mobile device, except on a TV?

It's a low cost gaming/streaming/smart TV app box that hopes to take the creative indie game development currently found on mobile devices and bring it to the television. While also making the device hackable so enthusiasts can create and use it in ways mainstream developers won't think too.

It's a low cost gaming/streaming/smart TV app box that hopes to take the creative indie game development currently found on mobile devices and bring it to the television. While also making the device hackable so enthusiasts can create and use it in ways mainstream developers won't think too.

This, and it's only $100. Sure a lot is undecided right now, but for a lot of people it's so low risk at $100 that it's an easy decision to support and just see what the indie devs can do with this thing.

element

For the 10 millionth time in this thread it never stopped anyone developing for any other hackable platform ever. PC hackable. IOS hackable. Android hackable. 360 hackable. PS3 hackable. Wii hackable. The games continue to flow.
There is a huge difference between being hackable and promoting the fact that you are. I don't see Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo promoting the fact that their platform is hacking friendly and that they WANT people to hack it.

demigod

Keep dreaming if you think publishers are going to put AAA games on these machines with literally no userbase(PS4, XBox 720, Wii-U)...

Wow, you really went there? I guess the SNES, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, GC, PS2, 360, Wii, PS3 all don't have AAA games. You are comparing a kickstarter to a multi-billion dollar company, lol.

element

So this never went into production?
They are working on it still. There hasn't been any problems at all with Pebble.

Eyez has been a candidate for being pretty poorly ran and loose with their money. They said it would be done Winter 2011, but haven't released anything yet. The people involved were also posting photos of themselves taking trips including one to Thailand to enjoy the beaches and riding elephants with the caption "We aren't in Thailand"

The game would have to be ported specifically for the OUYA.

It might have to be separately launched on OUYAs game store, but not specifically remade to work on it. That's the whole reason for using Android in the first place, to piggyback off an established platform, so when this launches it will already have a plethora of games and apps instead of building entirely from the ground up.

It might have to be separately launched on OUYAs game store, but not specifically remade to work on it. That's the whole reason for using Android in the first place, to piggyback off an established platform, so when this launches it will already have a plethora of games and apps instead of building entirely from the ground up.

Except few Android games will work very well with this thing's controls. No touchscreen, no motion sensors...the only games that'll work well will be ones that don't work well on all other Android devices, ones with virtual joysticks/buttons. Sure it's got a touchpad, but that'd be clunky to use for a game designed for a touchscreen, unless the game was all about swipes or taps and didn't care where you swiped/tapped.

So while it *could* handle Android ports, it really encourages ground-up development.

if apple decided to be ignorant and release am apple TV with the app store on it and allow third party Bluetooth accessories this thing is finished. I just can't see this thing having s market I'm 2013

I am not seeing the appeal of this.

I hate cloud gaming, I hate F2P games, and I hate phone/mobile (non-legit handheld) gaming. But, I totally support this. An open, willingly fully-hack-able home console should shake things up quite nicely in the industry. (Assuming it succeeds, which if the buzz and funding it's generated is an indication, it should have a decent shot at doing so.)

Same here.

It's reportedly slightly less powerful than a 360, so it should be able to offer a fair bit more than a simpler mobile game.

saunderez

the only games that'll work well will be ones that don't work well on all other Android devices, ones with virtual joysticks/buttons.

Do you have any idea how many games this is? I've had to force myself to stop buying games with on screen touch controls because I inevitably get pissed off in short time and never play them again.

I hate cloud gaming, I hate F2P games, and I hate phone/mobile (non-legit handheld) gaming. But, I totally support this. An open, willingly fully-hack-able home console should shake things up quite nicely in the industry. (Assuming it succeeds, which if the buzz and funding it's generated is an indication, it should have a decent shot at doing so.)

It's reportedly slightly less powerful than a 360, so it should be able to offer a fair bit more than a simpler mobile game.

lol slightly? ipad 3 gpu is like 3x more powerful than tegra 3 so that means vitas gpu is like 6-8x more powerful. Notice view neither if those devices are close to 360.(well maybe vita)

lol slightly? ipad 3 gpu is like 3x more powerful than tegra 3 so that means vitas gpu is like 6-8x more powerful. Notice view neither if those devices are close to 360.(well maybe vita)

At the time of the iPad 2's release, its GPU was slightly faster than the fastest Tegra 3 device. And then the iPad 3's GPU is twice as powerful as that (but with 4 times the number of pixels to render, that doesn't help much).

HOWEVER, Tegra 3 is able to run at different clock speeds, so there are faster Tegra 3 devices now than there were at the time of iPad 2 release. And this specific device doesn't have to worry about battery life or being stuck in a tiny space with no cooling available, so they can run the Tegra 3 as fast as it'll go.

It's how I heard it described by one of the more legitimate gaming podcasts but I guess they were off? If it really is way less powerful than a 360 then that's kind of a letdown. (Although I wouldn't exactly rule it out yet.)

Tegra 3 is about 1/10th as powerful as a 360. Even if they overclock the fuck out of it, we're still talking like 1/8th as powerful as a 360. A 360 that will probably be on the shelf for $149 by the time Ouya launches. A 360 with a huge, deep library of existing games. A 360 with an indie friendly publishing platform. Oh, and it will be next to a similarly more powerful $149 PS3 super slim that has Blu-ray. A PS3 that has no cost online services. A PS3 that allows indies to self publish. Oh, and it will be on the shelf next to $50 Android dongles that run stock Jellybean. An Android dongle that you can access Google Play with. An Android dongle you can root, develop on, plug a 360 controller into and run XBMC or emulators if you want.

HyperionX

Some of you guys are way too negative man. There's no reason, assuming it does hit production, that it won't sell something like single digit millions of units. Same as the Onlive console, or perhaps like a Roku or Apple TV device. The Ouya is super simple to build, probably no more than 4 or 5 chips in it, very similar to the Raspberry Pi, another super simple computer. If a startup can build Raspberry Pi's, then the Ouya shouldn't be too far off.

Won't expect any graphical stunners though.

Matt

At the time of the iPad 2's release, its GPU was slightly faster than the fastest Tegra 3 device. And then the iPad 3's GPU is twice as powerful as that (but with 4 times the number of pixels to render, that doesn't help much).

HOWEVER, Tegra 3 is able to run at different clock speeds, so there are faster Tegra 3 devices now than there were at the time of iPad 2 release. And this specific device doesn't have to worry about battery life or being stuck in a tiny space with no cooling available, so they can run the Tegra 3 as fast as it'll go.

There were no Tegra 3 devices when the iPad 2 came out....

Well, I've checked out all the available media on this thing, read the Kickstarter, watched the Kickstarter vid, read the reactions in a few places... can't help but notice this thing is building steam.

Personally I think it's a really big deal. It's a great idea and the business model, frankly, is probably turning some heads at MS, Sony and Nintendo right now. It's definitely going to be on their radar.

Some of you guys are way too negative man. There's no reason, assuming it does hit production, that it won't sell something like single digit millions of units. Same as the Onlive console, or perhaps like a Roku or Apple TV device. The Ouya is super simple to build, probably no more than 4 or 5 chips in it, very similar to the Raspberry Pi, another super simple computer. If a startup can build Raspberry Pi's, then the Ouya shouldn't be too far off.

Won't expect any graphical stunners though.

Rasberry Pi is a barebones, super-cheap design created for hobbyist. They have very modest expectations and realistic goals.

Ouya's creators think it can disrupt an industry dominated by some of the biggest multinational corporations commanding multi-billion dollar budgets armed only with 1 or 2 million dollars they'll have left after actually building the devices they've promised. There is every reason to believe they will never sell 100K, let alone cross 1 million. They're selling the idea of a indie and hacker friendly platform to people savvy enough to want that, but not savvy enough to know real hackers and indies can already get cheap hardware to experiment with and know the real money is in development for 1 billion combined iOS/Android phone and tablet market. 40K Ouya owners doesn't even register.

Rasberry Pi is a barebones, super-cheap design created for hobbyist. They have very modest expectations and realistic goals.

Ouya's creators think it can disrupt an industry dominated by some of the biggest multinational corporations commanding multi-billion dollar budgets armed only with 1 or 2 million dollars they'll have left after actually building the devices they've promised. There is every reason to believe they will never sell 100K, let alone cross 1 million. They're selling the idea of a indie and hacker friendly platform to people savvy enough to want that, but not savvy enough to know real hackers and indies can already get cheap hardware to experiment with and know the real money is in development for 1 billion combined iOS/Android phone and tablet market. 40K Ouya owners doesn't even register.

There is no way that they can build all the devices promised and still have 1 or 2 million dollars, unless the cost for each unit is less than $70 (that is not, because only with materials of the console and the cost of a custom bluetooth controller is much closer to the 99$, and we have to add the manufacture and packaging cost, taxes, etc).

There is no way that they can build all the devices promised and still have 1 or 2 million dollars, unless the cost for each unit is less than $70 (that is not, because only with materials of the console and the cost of a custom bluetooth controller is much closer to the 99$, and we have to add the manufacture and packaging cost, taxes, etc).

Based on current figures, you're right. That was a speculative figure assuming over the next three weeks they build up more of a cushion. Remember also they don't even have to place the order for 6+ months. Based on the figures you can find online for similar device production it would take a single factory about 2 weeks to make 100K units. They can wait and see what prices are next year without any serious threat to their timeline.

Tegra 3 is about 1/10th as powerful as a 360. Even if they overclock the fuck out of it, we're still talking like 1/8th as powerful as a 360. A 360 that will probably be on the shelf for $149 by the time Ouya launches. A 360 with a huge, deep library of existing games. A 360 with an indie friendly publishing platform. Oh, and it will be next to a similarly more powerful $149 PS3 super slim that has Blu-ray. A PS3 that has no cost online services. A PS3 that allows indies to self publish. Oh, and it will be on the shelf next to $50 Android dongles that run stock Jellybean. An Android dongle that you can access Google Play with. An Android dongle you can root, develop on, plug a 360 controller into and run XBMC or emulators if you want.

Seriously, did no one pay attention to my Pikmin chart? Jeez...

consolepower.jpg

2MF

There is no way that they can build all the devices promised and still have 1 or 2 million dollars

I'm going to stop the quote right there because that is pure speculation. You have no idea how much money they have now, how much has been pledged by investors or what credit lines from banks they may have access to.

The Ouya is super simple to build, probably no more than 4 or 5 chips in it, very similar to the Raspberry Pi, another super simple computer. If a startup can build Raspberry Pi's, then the Ouya shouldn't be too far off.

A charity whose main aim is to kickstart the education of programmers is not comparable to a private company that just raised millions of dollars on what is a huge amount of misdirection.

Raspberry Pi went through a very long process to get where it wanted; its not aiming to revolutionise anything. What it hopes to do is get used by schools and people looking to learn programming. A simple and cheap piece of kit to get you started.

A charity and private business are not comparable for starters. Nor are their products.
Not to mention Raspberry PI's intentions. Ouya is about money; the rest of what they've said so far is mixed in with plain lies and misdirection.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't think the Ouya guys even know how much money they need to produce this shit either? The controller isnt locked down, an actual functioning non heat disaster final retail unit doesnt exist, how theyre tackling things like patents and so forth is a total mystery, and thats why this whole thing reads like a scam.

This isnt even like the Phantom or whatever branding itself as 'the' set-top PC box for comfy couch gaming, this is trying to create a whole new console in the space, but with no clear road map, no in-house devs, no anti-piracy tech, and taking millions of dollars with no assurances.

A mid-range media box sized PC hooked up to your TV with XBMC linked into a game collection (a NeoGAF thread tells you how) topped off with a wireless X-360 and maybe one of these bad-boys
Mini-Keyboard-1-580x362.jpg

would seem far more to me the promised land of open gaming some 35,000 people are gagging for, available to them right the fuck now, with a fucking huge catalog spanning the ages.

I'm going to stop the quote right there because that is pure speculation. You have no idea how much money they have now, how much has been pledged by investors or what credit lines from banks they may have access to.

At least, with the Kickstarter money. As far as I know, they said that they are not looking for any other kind of finance ways outside Kickstarter.

Benedict

A mid-range media box sized PC hooked up to your TV with XBMC linked into a game collection (a NeoGAF thread tells you how) topped off with a wireless X-360 and maybe one of these bad-boys
Mini-Keyboard-1-580x362.jpg

would seem far more to me the promised land of open gaming some 35,000 people are gagging for, available to them right the fuck now, with a fucking huge catalog spanning the ages.

For 99 fucking dollarz??

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Depends how low rent you want to make that media box! But realistically, probably more $150 onwards bracket. More than anything its Ouya's steadfast $99 price-tag that makes it scam-tacular since I'm still fuzzy on how theyre gonna get around controller patents, GUI patents and more before managing to package up a reasonably attractive console box, wireless controller, and some moderately okay tech for that price.

2MF

Depends how low rent you want to make that media box! But realistically, probably more $150 onwards bracket. More than anything its Ouya's steadfast $99 price-tag that makes it scam-tacular since I'm still fuzzy on how theyre gonna get around controller patents, GUI patents and more before managing to package up a reasonably attractive console box, wireless controller, and some moderately okay tech for that price.

Did they actually confirm they're planning a $99 retail price?

Risible

A charity whose main aim is to kickstart the education of programmers is not comparable to a private company that just raised millions of dollars on what is a huge amount of misdirection.

Raspberry Pi went through a very long process to get where it wanted; its not aiming to revolutionise anything. What it hopes to do is get used by schools and people looking to learn programming. A simple and cheap piece of kit to get you started.

A charity and private business are not comparable for starters. Nor are their products.
Not to mention Raspberry PI's intentions. Ouya is about money; the rest of what they've said so far is mixed in with plain lies and misdirection.

Another good point is that a Raspberry Pi costs $35, and it's a bare-bones board, and it doesn't include shipping. No case, no controller, no internal storage. Ouya aims to have all that and more for only $64 more shipped to consumers.

2MF

Another good point is that a Raspberry Pi costs $35, and it's a bare-bones board, and it doesn't include shipping. No case, no controller, no internal storage. Ouya aims to have all that and more for only $64 more shipped to consumers.

Again, where did they say $99 is the target price? The kickstarter revenue is more than $120 per console btw.

Again, where did they say $99 is the target price? The kickstarter revenue is more than $120 per console btw.

They're currently preselling it for $99, and the Kickstarter text includes quotes from several sources that say $99 is the price. If they don't intend to sell it for $99, or aren't sure yet of the price, they're not going out of their way to correct people reporting on it.

Top Bottom