• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Tobor

AAA developers no longer have any incentive to develop for Ouya - I mean, for a while a AAA game on Ouya would have been big news, and would have sold tons beside all the indie games. But now that Ouya is becoming an OnLive terminal, some of the biggest AAA games will be available on the device already, in their superior PC form. And why go to the effort of developing natively for Ouya, when you can just make a few small changes to your PC version and put it up on OnLive?

There was no incentive to start with.

I mean it's a good longterm idea for Valve.

Steam is nothing without games. Making port of games to Mac or Linux is much more easy (but still very difficult, specially with AAA games) so someone can expect the Steam library on Mac or Linux to grow over time with new games (obviously, most devs won't bother to make late ports to Mac or Linux).

FWIW, Android already supports keyboard and mouse input so gameplay wise there would be fewer modifications needed for porting many Steam games to an OUYA console compared to the challenges facing touchscreen game developers.

Porting the control method is not the problem here, is to port a PC-based engine to android, and with a machine that has the specs of a very low-end PC.

Blackhead

Redarse
Steam is nothing without games. Making port of games to Mac or Linux is much more easy (but still very difficult, specially with AAA games) so someone can expect the Steam library on Mac or Linux to grow over time with new games (obviously, most devs won't bother to make late ports to Mac or Linux).

Porting the control method is not the problem here, is to port a PC-based engine to android, and with a machine that has the specs of a very low-end PC.
The specs are comparable to the consoles and tablets where many people (including gaffers!) now do their the majority of their gaming. That's what matters. Either Valve sticks to the closed platforms and die or they stake a place in the next generation

The specs are comparable to the consoles and tablets where many people (including gaffers!) now do their the majority of their gaming. That's what matters. Either Valve sticks to the closed platforms and die or they stake a place in the next generation

Do you really think that Valve will port his entire catalog (and more importart, most of the current devs that publish their games on Steam) will start porting the games on Ouya? Do you know the costs of port a single PC game on Android? Most of the games of Steam are not currently working with a PC with the specs of Ouya. Is very difficult to port any medium-sized game, and completly impossible to port any AAA game.

This is as naive as believing that, when Gabe announced Steamworks on PS3, that meaned that you would be able to play all the Steam catalog on PS3.

Blackhead

Redarse
Do you really think that Valve will port his entire catalog (and more importart, most of the current devs that publish their games on Steam) will start porting the games on Ouya? Do you know the costs of port a single PC game on Android? Most of the games of Steam are not currently working with a PC with the specs of Ouya. Is very difficult to port any medium-sized game, and completly impossible to port any AAA game.

This is as naive as believing that, when Gabe announced Steamworks on PS3, that meaned that you would be able to play all the Steam catalog on PS3.

No, I don't think Valve will be doing any of the things (the actions I suggested should be a longterm strategy) anytime soon.

demigod

AAA developers no longer have any incentive to develop for Ouya - I mean, for a while a AAA game on Ouya would have been big news, and would have sold tons beside all the indie games. But now that Ouya is becoming an OnLive terminal, some of the biggest AAA games will be available on the device already, in their superior PC form. And why go to the effort of developing natively for Ouya, when you can just make a few small changes to your PC version and put it up on OnLive?

This is funny coming from you. Just a few pages back you thought devs were going to put AAA titles on Ouya. I'm sorry but, having OnLive on there is not the same as a publisher backing the console by porting AAA titles on there.

So much freaking hate ITT.

Valve sucks, Ouya sucks, OnLive sucks, GAF sucks.

…Krypton sucks.

As an aside, I was incredibly close to clicking in on this, but I was tossed off the fence when I learned that store access is disabled if you want to tinker at all with the device.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Because OnLive is garbage?

This is funny coming from you. Just a few pages back you thought devs were going to put AAA titles on Ouya. I'm sorry but, having OnLive on there is not the same as a publisher backing the console by porting AAA titles on there.

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Why would a developer port, say, DarkSiders II to the Ouya, when it's already on there in the form of OnLive? And if a AAA game isn't on OnLive, there still isn't any incentive to release it any more, because rather than being uncommon in the early days, there's going to be dozens of them on the device from day one.

xJavonta

Banned
Valve sucks, Ouya sucks, OnLive sucks, GAF sucks.

…Krypton sucks.

As an aside, I was incredibly close to clicking in on this, but I was tossed off the fence when I learned that store access is disabled if you want to tinker at all with the device.

Hahahaha

and that sucks, but if you un-root or re-stock the device can you regain store access? I'd probably end up buying two if I wanted to mess with it that badly though since they're cheap.

Hahahaha

and that sucks, but if you un-root or re-stock the device can you regain store access? I'd probably end up buying two if I wanted to mess with it that badly though since they're cheap.

Yeah, and they said they were going to make it easy to un-root the device after rooting it (of course, then you lose anything you installed while rooted).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So now Onlive sucks? I welcome the news. More games is never a bad thing.

http://www.abload.de/img/onlive-coming-ouyaw0zxf.jpg[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/ouya_07-27_0018ejub.jpg[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/ouya_07-27_00201kym.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/ouya_07-27_00349k86.jpg[/IMG ]

[url]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/275869[/url][/QUOTE]

Now that is better than the original render. I kinda like it now.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If the Ouya somehow brings more attention to developers in porting their games to OnLive I would be really happy.

fritolay

OK, I think I've got it now...

Ouya - Android based gaming platform. They don't plan to use Google Play store

Onlive - Will have it's platform on Ouya (Android), and it's store of games.

Gabe Newell doesn't like Windows 8, is working on other platforms.

Blizzard Exec doesn't like Windows 8 either

Google, is running fiber to KC and hopefully future locations. The already have Google TV. They are deploying a TV box, a network box, etc with their Google Fiber. They have a 200 dollar tablet, and they have some other media gizmo out there now.

Why the heck, Google which owns Android, why aren't they making a game system?

They could own Ouya, make it part of their own package and replace multiple other boxes out there. They could put money towards Online and Steam and anything else. People would jump on board. - Google - Jump On Board! (hahahaha)

Google - Buys Ouya, Onlive, teams up with Valve (steam), Activision, and EA. Done.

Think about this for a minute. Isn't there a large percent of people that watch streaming video and use other apps on the Xbox? Why would they do that when they have a great system for playing video games, with still leading edge console current gen graphics? Why do people game on their mobile devices, and not hook them up to their TV's to watch movies and play games that much? You can get cheap adapters, HDMI cables, for a couple years now. I don't know anyone that hardly does this. You can use bluetooth keyboard and mice, yet not many do that either. Why do people stream lesser quality video on their big HD TV's when they could watch DVD or watch Blu-ray movies?

Usability and easy access to media.

The xbox, you can turn it on and do many things. Why shut it down, switch discs, change to PS3 to watch bluray, when you can just open Netflix or Amazon prime apps and watch thousands of TV and movies, and all the other options on Xbox Live. Why shutdown your console, switch HDMI connection on your TV, and use Apple TV? Yes people can be lazy. However, people have been asking for this for YEARS. They don't want discs, they want easy access to media. Supposedly they download crap, illegally, because it is easier for them and the companies were not previously giving them other EASIER options than downloading illegally.. HBO, Game of Thrones, no streaming = highest downloaded illegal show. So now the platforms are being created and people are using them, because this is what they want.

There is a reason EA doesn't want to be on steam, they want their own platform to lock you into sales. There is a reason people don't want to leave Apple devices, even though they cost more, they want their already purchased media and apps.

Google has the money, they have the platform, they have the network infrastructure, the have all the media services. Imagine checking your mail and viewing your calendar from a console, if you wanted as well. Google Now when you fire up your system. Everything is there or in the works.

If Google doesn't get into gaming, they are losing people to other platforms. It is not about just games, it is about all the other media Google, MS, and Apple are competing against, and games will take people away to other platforms because - Usability and easy access to media.

fritolay

ffc9d-709d8_slow_clap.gif

are you applauding your own console war slash fiction post?

The controller does not look comfortable in the pic they have revealed, id like to get a look at it's backside (if you catch my drift).

are you applauding your own console war slash fiction post?

The controller does not look comfortable in the pic they have revealed, id like to get a look at it's backside (if you catch my drift).

Oh man, that GIF is even funnier now.

And I don't like the controller either. Still can't decide if I want to stay a backer or not. The potential is there but what's being done I still don't like. Especially that rooting gets rid of the store deal. I really think that could kill the store because most will probably root.

Jasoneyu

dude... u don't clap to your own posts.

Its just so weird. I read the post about some huge google takeover and was confused that anyone would use that GIF afterwards. Then I saw who posted the response and was blown away. Its like he forgot he made that post then though it was GENIUS!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Its just so weird. I read the post about some huge google takeover and was confused that anyone would use that GIF afterwards. Then I saw who posted the response and was blown away. Its like he forgot he made that post then though it was GENIUS!

I thought his post then gif post combo was great.

DiscoJer

I don't think AAA games were ever coming to the Ouya, simply because there is no place to put them. With 8 gigs of storage, you could fit one AAA game, that's it.

Raistlin

And suddenly I'm very interested.

That's pretty big, so long as Online keep adding games in a timely fashion and keep their current sub service, this could end up being a serious contender.
But for the same price you can get a Google TV with OnLive. Granted you'll need to buy the controller extra ... but still.

GrayFoxPL

Google, is running fiber to KC and hopefully future locations. The already have Google TV. They are deploying a TV box, a network box, etc with their Google Fiber. They have a 200 dollar tablet, and they have some other media gizmo out there now.

They could own Ouya, make it part of their own package and replace multiple other boxes out there. They could put money towards Online and Steam and anything else. People would jump on board. - Google - Jump On Board! (hahahaha)

Google - Buys Ouya, Onlive, teams up with Valve (steam), Activision, and EA. Done.

Think about this for a minute. Isn't there a large percent of people that watch streaming video and use other apps on the Xbox? Why would they do that when they have a great system for playing video games, with still leading edge console current gen graphics? Why do people game on their mobile devices, and not hook them up to their TV's to watch movies and play games that much? You can get cheap adapters, HDMI cables, for a couple years now. I don't know anyone that hardly does this. You can use bluetooth keyboard and mice, yet not many do that either. Why do people stream lesser quality video on their big HD TV's when they could watch DVD or watch Blu-ray movies?

The xbox, you can turn it on and do many things. Why shut it down, switch discs, change to PS3 to watch bluray, when you can just open Netflix or Amazon prime apps and watch thousands of TV and movies, and all the other options on Xbox Live. Why shutdown your console, switch HDMI connection on your TV, and use Apple TV? Yes people can be lazy. However, people have been asking for this for YEARS. They don't want discs, they want easy access to media. Supposedly they download crap, illegally, because it is easier for them and the companies were not previously giving them other EASIER options than downloading illegally.. HBO, Game of Thrones, no streaming = highest downloaded illegal show. So now the platforms are being created and people are using them, because this is what they want.

There is a reason EA doesn't want to be on steam, they want their own platform to lock you into sales. There is a reason people don't want to leave Apple devices, even though they cost more, they want their already purchased media and apps.

Google has the money, they have the platform, they have the network infrastructure, the have all the media services. Imagine checking your mail and viewing your calendar from a console, if you wanted as well. Google Now when you fire up your system. Everything is there or in the works.

If Google doesn't get into gaming, they are losing people to other platforms. It is not about just games, it is about all the other media Google, MS, and Apple are competing against, and games will take people away to other platforms because - Usability and easy access to media.

Same matter can't occupy same space.
ibyetFzF82vOmV.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
I just bought one of those Android sticks a couple days ago.

Anyone know if this Ouya thing will be able to stream things like watchespn.com and Flash video?

BlazinAm

jim-cornette-300x225.jpg

That is some crazy fan-fiction.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Bizarre. Someone uploaded a video to the Ouya YouTube page by mistake, it's just a random vlog where someone (looks like a relative of Julie Uhrman) talks about softball and college with her friend. At 3:10 they mention the Ouya. It'll probably get taken down soon. edit: gone

fritolay

Junior, the main difference between GAF and 4chan is you have a username here.

frabz-Oh-youre-so-much-better-than-me-please-tell-me-why-you-still-cal-b9f6d2.jpg

Another thing Ouya needs, for the store, and really Google needs for their store, is gift cards. Why the heck have they not done this either? You can buy facebook game gift cards at stores, apple gift cards, Xbox Live gift cards. People like to buy gifts, and they could always buy games in stores for their family members and friends. If you are going digital you need a way for people to walk in a store and support you still.

Top Bottom