• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Gift cards require a huge infrastructure to be done securely, because to be secure requires them being activated when purchased - all retail stores have to have some system where they can scan the cards in, which sends that code to a server somewhere which activates that card's code for use by the customer. Google is large enough they could do it if they wanted, but Ouya is far from that point.

Ever since android and iOS has taken over my gaming time i've always wondered when we would see something like this, I fully support this thing.

Amagon

We’re counting down: This is our last week on Kickstarter!

Until now, we have been all about games and gaming, but--as many of you have noted--OUYA can go far beyond that. Because it’s based on Android, it can support anything built on Android--the sky is the limit. It’s with that dramatic preamble that we say this:

We’re bringing the party back to the family room! OUYA is partnering with VEVO
– the world’s leading all-premium music video and entertainment platform.

Not only will VEVO and OUYA bring high definition music video programming back to the TV -- we’re turning control over to you. Access music videos from your favorite artists like JAY Z, Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, Shakira, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Big K.R.I.T., Florence + The Machine, John Mayer and P!nk when you want them and where you want them: on your big, shiny television!

For OUYA, this means entertainment beyond gaming. Browse through the most-viewed music videos on the web, explore full video catalogs of top-selling artists, or venture into the realm of new staff picks, live concerts and original music programming. Getting ready to do some level grinding? Watch one of your favorite videos to get in the mood.

But enough from us, here’s the full scoop from VEVO:

At VEVO, our mission is to bring high quality music experiences to users wherever and whenever. We have always strived to embrace new platforms that developers, creative communities and consumers are excited about. OUYA is just that—it’s one of the most exciting new entertainment platforms we’ve seen and we think it’s a natural fit for VEVO’s premium music videos and original music programming.

This is why I am thrilled to tell you today that VEVO is committed to launch with OUYA when it comes to market in March 2013. Through this partnership, we will bring our rich catalogue of over 50,000 high definition music videos and new, original programming from more than 11,000 artists to OUYA’s groundbreaking new gaming console. We support and share OUYA’s vision that the future lies in being open and accessible for users looking for high quality entertainment experiences.

Our partnership with OUYA is grounded in our tireless effort to bring VEVO to every connected living room and home and we will continue to deliver our premium music video programming to the rest of our platform consisting of VEVO.com, mobile & tablet apps (including Android, iOS, Windows Phone), connected TVs like Xbox and partner sites such as AOL, CBS, Facebook, Viacom Media Networks, Yahoo! Music and YouTube.

Stay tuned for more news on our partnership with OUYA – and what it will look like for consumers - as we get closer to launch. We hope you are as excited as we are!

-Michael Cerda, SVP of Product and Technology, VEVO

We’re excited to bring the #1 music video platform to OUYA! Let’s start a world-wide dance party.

-------

In addition to the VEVO news - we have something else to share with you as we count down to next Wednesday:

Our Kickstarter crew is unique. You guys have been here since the beginning and we wanted to honor you by acknowledging one of your most frequent requests: a special limited edition console and controller available only during our last week of Kickstarter.

Behold the limited edition OUYA and controller! Yves Behar personally selected the color for this special console and controller, and it will only be available NOW, through the end of Kickstarter campaign. (Scroll down to view.)

To collect one of these rare drops, stretch your donation to $140--the additional cost will cover the small production run.

Also note, the buttons now officially read “O-U-Y-A”! (<--we heard you!)

-Julie
fb7gt.jpg

1QLQ4.jpg

I could really care less about VEVO and the LE console looks nice but I'm contempt to stick with the original system.

Cipherr

Im not terribly convinced, however Im not against it either. I mean, at least we are talking about a console here, something with an actual worthwhile controller and whatnot. I have just accepted that all these mobile games will never do it for me. I just need more, these nibbles are time wasters for me at best.

I cannot see this thing taking off, but it would easily be a better fit for me than trying to get me to pour time into gaming seriously on my fucking smartphone.

Jasoneyu

I decided to keep my funding for this project. They seem to have some partners now so that they are at least somewhat accountable with actually releasing the product.

ZoddGutts

On AMA reddit they mention about the D-Pad:

[–]TomOuyaDBOUYA Backer 18 points 15 hours ago
There have been a lot of complaints about the D-pad so far (people are worried it will be too much like the Xbox 360's failed attempt) Is Ouya considering changing the Design of the D-pad? or Is there a special bit of engineering underneath that bad boy we don't know about? Tom| OuyaDB
permalinkreportreply
[–]JulieUhrman 4 points 21 minutes ago
Yes, we heard the feedback on the circular d-pad. this is why it's great to include the community. We're looking at it again with Yves and team. Stay Tuned.
ALSO, this is my last question...sorry...lots of work to do :)

THANKS REDDIT! THIS WAS AWESOME!

Good to hear.

I really wish they'd swap the O and A buttons. Everything else about the controller (save for maybe the D-Pad but we'll see) seems splendid.

I wish the letters were mnemonically arranged. Right now, it's just another set of glyphs that I have to memorize and consciously think about during QTEs. If it were "N", "S", "E", and "W" or "&#9650;", "&#9660;", "&#9654;", and "&#9664;" or something similarly inherently directional*, then the button prompts on-screen would be far easier to work with!

* NSEW are only inherently directional for English speakers, of course

I really wish they'd swap the O and A buttons. Everything else about the controller (save for maybe the D-Pad but we'll see) seems splendid.

The 360 controller has the A button in the spot and the ps3 has a circle button in that spot and I am sure there would be a copyright fiasco if they did that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at announcing having a VEVO app. That's so unimpressive. Who gives a shit.

I'm glad I pulled my money. I hope it succeeds but why risk my money when I can just buy the system for the same price later.

Kafel

Banned

I'm glad I pulled my money. I hope it succeeds but why risk my money when I can just buy the system for the same price later.

because you won't get it when it's hot (the first week)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Dont really care much for vevo, good for music fans I guess. That LE console looks great however. Might have to bump up my donation to nab it.

MercuryLS

Banned

That was my reasoning as well, they have enough funding to take this to completion. I'll most probably pick one up after release if only for XBMC and emulators.

That was my reasoning as well, they have enough funding to take this to completion. I'll most probably pick one up after release if only for XBMC and emulators.

Yeah I'd be interested if it we knew how well it would run emulation. 16 bit and Waverace 64 would do nicely :)

Haunted

I'm not really digging the design in these renders. Are there any pictures of an actually produced prototype shell or is it too early for that. (I'm assuming the latter since we would've seen something like that).

They did slap a touchpad in the middle. Does that count?
Yeah, touchpad not touchscreen, that's what I was trying to say, my bad. >_>

I'm aware of very little things about this "console", but is there any word on a "transfarring" ability à la MGS Collection ? Like you could play a game on your OUYA and your save would be automatically backed up onto a cloud service, so you can continue on your portable android device ?

When it has a controller I that doesn't look like a 12 year old PC gamepad, I'll be more interested.

Not doubting this thing has promise, but I can't help but think it'll be a collector's item within 6 months. They have my interest, but until I see hardware reviews, they won't have my money.

I'm aware of very little things about this "console", but is there any word on a "transfarring" ability à la MGS Collection ? Like you could play a game on your OUYA and your save would be automatically backed up onto a cloud service, so you can continue on your portable android device ?
That would theoretically be possible but it would have to be done in the individual developers end. There are already some apps with mobile/Facebook cross platform saves and multiplayer.

Utako

Banned
Are they making a build of Android with a special API for the controller? Or does it leverage existing APIs?

If the former, it could be annoying. Needing to rebuild apps is no good.

DiscoJer

Those already exist (and have been brought up in the thread)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/553344479/Android_internet_HDMI_tv_stick_Dongle.html

edit: And anyway, the head of the company did a Q&A thing on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/xgy2f/im_julie_uhrman_founder_of_ouya_amaa/

Nothing mind blowing, but does sound like you will be able to side-load stuff

I am starting to get exciting.

Does anyone know if it uses ICS or Gingerbread as a base? I know Jellybean includes encryption, which should help cut down on Piracy.

There are so many things I want. If we can port existing Android games when rooted, this has me excited.

I am looking at it as a Roku replacement,with gaming abilities. I will definitely get the games.

DiscoJer

I am starting to get exciting.

Does anyone know if it uses ICS or Gingerbread as a base? I know Jellybean includes encryption, which should help cut down on Piracy.

There are so many things I want. If we can port existing Android games when rooted, this has me excited.

I am looking at it as a Roku replacement,with gaming abilities. I will definitely get the games.

It uses 4.0 (or so the KS says).

And as to newer versions, from the Reddit

We’ll review each new Android version as it’s released, and try to update as we can. They key is making sure that the hardware is fully supported with the right drivers, optimizations etc.

fritolay

I use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with my phone and MHL adapter to connect to TV via HDMI.

One thing I didn't realize, is games such as minecraft, the keyboard doesn't work. The game cannot take the standard WASD input that I can figure out. It just knows the touch input. I am not sure if games will have to be "controller" aware of input aware for them to work. This is one hurdle I hope gets answered.

Are they making a build of Android with a special API for the controller? Or does it leverage existing APIs?

If the former, it could be annoying. Needing to rebuild apps is no good.

It's still going to require rebuilding apps, because you need their API for your app to work on the Ouya store, which is the only way to get apps on the device without rooting it (and rooting it removes access to the Ouya store). While the Ouya does run Android, its purpose is not to run unaltered Android apps, thus Google Play won't be on the unrooted system.

Utako

Banned
It's still going to require rebuilding apps, because you need their API for your app to work on the Ouya store, which is the only way to get apps on the device without rooting it (and rooting it removes access to the Ouya store). While the Ouya does run Android, its purpose is not to run unaltered Android apps, thus Google Play won't be on the unrooted system.
That kills a lot of the appeal for me.

I have touchscreen apps. Rebuilding them isn't an option, as that would make the code more costly to port upstream to other smartphone platforms. They should have enabled a cursor via the touchpad.

As a user, this only means less software available on the system, most importantly emulators.

DiscoJer

I have absolutely no idea how Android works, not having a smartphone or tablet. But if I read the Reddit correctly and you can apparently sideload stuff, can't you add other stores?

Is sideloading separate .apk flies to install apps not in the ouya store something that is possible without having to root and lose access to the ouya store?

Yes, we will allow installation of your APKs.

Isn't Google play an APK?

And the other thing, about the Ouya store, she said

You’re absolutely right. You’ll be able to access the base hardware, and hack the OS as well. We’re figuring out which elements to make changeable when the console is rooted (we’ve heard a lot of people want to keep access to the store).

So it sounds like you might be able to do some screwing around and still keep the Ouya Store.

Top Bottom