• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

New update - "15 Hours To Go!!"
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/283782

Namco Bandai support:

"NAMCO BANDAI Games and OUYA are currently in active discussions to bring some of the world's biggest gaming properties to the exciting new open gaming platform. NAMCO BANDAI brings with it a rich history of iconic gaming franchises, from classics like PAC-MAN and GALAGA, to seminal franchises like TEKKEN and Ridge Racer, and we're excited to explore how we can work with OUYA to bring some great titles to the forthcoming console."
-- Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing, NAMCO BANDAI Games America, Inc.

Four controller support:

In response to a lot of the feedback we’ve received: OUYA will officially support up to four controllers. After all, what’s the point of playing in the living room if the other folks on the couch can’t join in?

IMPORTANT: If you want your four controllers to arrive in March when your console ships--and this is particularly important for those of you ordering the limited edition--please make sure to update your pledge today so that everything arrives at the same time. (For example: Those who pledged $99 for a console with one controller, can add on another $90 to receive an additional three controllers in March, rounding out the set of four. And--because we know you’ll ask--if you’ve got your heart set on the limited edition version, we’ll make sure that the controllers are matched.)

Plex support:

In addition to this gaming news, we at OUYA want to acknowledge that there are two sides to every coin. You’re either a morning person or a night person. (But not both.) Celtics fan or Lakers fan. (Maybe neither.) Horde or Alliance. Superman or Batman. Sith or Jedi. (You see where this is going.)

So, while tons of you were super psyched yesterday to hear that we’d support XBMC, many Plex loyalists clamored for Plex support on OUYA. We think they’ll be happy to hear that OUYA will support Plex. Why not try to please everyone?

So happy about Plex support! Upgrading my pledge to get extra controllers! :D

Sadly, I MIGHT have to cancel Oculus Rift backing. I'll wait for consumer release for that even though it sounds fucking amazing!! Now if OUYA supports Oculus Rift... >_>

It sounds like they are trying to do everything right and I love that, i'd order one right now but limited money this month and this will be over before my payday comes back around.

androvsky

This is looking pretty cool, but I can't/won't pre-order for various reasons. I'll just be one of those post-launch supporters they're going to need so sorely. :) Any word on Retrode support?

edit: http://www.retrode.org/ It's a USB adapter you can plug in actual game cartridges and controllers to play on an emulator. Works with pretty much everything with adapters, except the NES. :(

This is looking pretty cool, but I can't/won't pre-order for various reasons. I'll just be one of those post-launch supporters they're going to need so sorely. :) Any word on Retrode support?

edit: http://www.retrode.org/ It's a USB adapter you can plug in actual game cartridges and controllers to play on an emulator. Works with pretty much everything with adapters, except the NES. :(

Here is the only answer so far:

Not much to support from our side. Either it does have a USB port or it doesn't, either they include drivers for the mass storage and game controller standards or they don't :)

In short, they must be waiting for devkits like everyone else, if anything.

OUYA uses bluetooth, right? If so, how much possible it would be to use OUYA controller on PS3 and vice versa? I'm sure it's very much possible. Would hold off buying four controllers for now and just stick with two... :p

daevv

I punked out and only pledged $10 to reserve my username. My PS3 got the YLOD Monday so I'm using the funds I was gonna put towards the limited Ouya edition towards the new PS3.

I punked out and only pledged $10 to reserve my username. My PS3 got the YLOD Monday so I'm using the funds I was gonna put towards the limited Ouya edition towards the new PS3.

I wish they gave $10 discount for future owners for those that reserved their username. That would definitely be nice for those that want it and support it but don't have all the money as of now.

Big News! They just confirmed that they partnered with Plex as well.

So Plex + XBMC + OnLive! All that's missing is AirVideo, Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Video (I'm sure they'll come around) and this thing will be the best budget TV extender ever conceived.

This is assuming the controller and especially the D Pad are well designed of course. Not sold on their current D Pad.

Well, the Tegra 3, as embedded in the Ouya, should definetely be topping the PS Vita, which already runs 2D games magnificiently. I think Rayman Origins actually runs a higher resolution frame-buffer on Vita than the native resolution (to allow the zoom function), so that might be a good indication of what the Ouya might be capable of, which hopefully means 1080p 2D with Rayman Origins, Bastion level of quality.

Lol, no it doesn't. Vita's GPU runs circles around the tegra 3.

The Vita is a graphics monster. It packs a 4 core PowerVR543 gpu, same as the iPad 3 but rendering at a lower resolution than the iPad 3, and the vita also packs an additonal custom gpu from Sony not found on the iPad 3. In short, it can output some absolutely stunning visuals.

To compare Tegra 3 to the Vita, just refer to the charts in this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6112/...agon-s4-apq8064adreno-320-performance-preview

Note how the 4 core PowerVR in the iPad/Vita is roughly 2-4x as powerful as the Tegra 3 on almost every benchmark.

The Tegra 3 isn't a bad gpu by any means though. To get an idea of what Ouya is capable of, imagine Xbox 1 games but being rendered at 1080p, 60fps and with 4x AA. That's pretty comparable to what the Ouya should be able to pull off.

Mainly the Ouya will be a 2d platformer and multiplayer powerhouse fueled by independent devs (assuming they fix the crappy D Pad), or atleast that's what I'm hoping.

Raonak

Banned
Im not feeling the whole "it's only 99$" factor. It feels bizziarely overpriced.

Ill take the wait and see approach.

Last I checked, Plex and XMBC support all these services. Of course, I rather have native apps rather than remote play.

That's a good point. I do prefer native apps but as long as they run smoothly, remote play is good enough.

It's a shame the OP got banned, there have been a lot of interesting developments with the Ouya in the past day or two.

I want to see the Ouya cross the $10 million mark and become the best funded kickstarter project of all time.

And I also want them to fix the D Pad and show us the triggers. Otherwise the current controller is perfect.

Im not feeling the whole "it's only 99$" factor. It feels bizziarely overpriced.

Ill take the wait and see approach.

As compared to what? If anything, it feels bizarrely underpriced and that concerns me. Luckily, they won't be spending money on superficial stuff like t-shirts or posters so all is going directly on development.

Lets hope they know exactly how much mass production is going to cost.

Oxn

What type of connection does X360 controller use? Because it is considered the best controller for PC.

PS3 uses bluetooth, and it makes it a little diffult to work with on PC.

So Im hoping this controller works well with the PC, and its uses whatever X360 controller uses.

gcubed

But we know the hardware and what Tegra 3 is capable of. People are making it seem like the only thing it can do is play 2D GBA esque games.

i wouldn't care if it was releasing today, but its releasing next March. I'm sure they are stuck with their $99 price point on what they can put in it, but the only thing that makes me hesitant is the Tegra 3.

onken

What type of connection does X360 controller use? Because it is considered the best controller for PC.

So Im hoping this controller works well with the PC, and its uses whatever X360 controller uses.

360 uses some proprietary crap, not a chance it will be supported, officially anyway.

It uses Bluetooth 4.0.

Portugeezer

But we know the hardware and what Tegra 3 is capable of. People are making it seem like the only thing it can do is play 2D GBA esque games.

Personally I can't stand outdated looking 3D graphics, although the Tegra 3 is not as bas as some people make out, in 2012 and onwards the graphics it can produce will only look worse.

Hoping it does get a lot of 2D games.

The only thing that is stopping me from investing in thus Graphical capilities, it wont run the newest android games at max setting one or two years from now. Its very problamatic.

People are gonna buy only to find out, that they cant play the games maxed out a year after; forced to buy a newer verson of the console. A console should be able to do this for four years. People are gonna get burned by this and it will hurt the image of the console brand.

It's not supposed to run Android games at max settings, it's supposed to run Ouya games. And those will always run at max settings :p You're thinking in the wrong mode, you're thinking like a PC gamer, not a console gamer. Consoles don't get updated, for the most part, and people are fine with that. Especially because it allows some developers to really push the hardware, while nobody ever really pushes PC hardware because of the constant upgrades and all the various PC configurations they have to support.

This is quite similar to the game console/PC situation, because there are a gagillion Android devices out there, each with their own unique differences that often have to be accounted for when writing a game. While many of the Ouya games will be Android games rebuilt for Ouya, I'm betting (as long as Ouya is somewhat successful) we'll quickly start seeing developers that ONLY support Ouya and not Android in general, especially with that constant advance in power that would mean they'd have to build their game for a dozen power levels rather than just max out the one.

Look at the XBox 360, PC's were more powerful than it at launch, and yes within 2 years PC ports of XBox 360 games looked clearly better. But people are *still* happy with their XBox 360's even now, though they are starting to look in awe at some of the next-gen games shown off at E3.

Apologies since I know this has probably already been covered, but should this be able to run a GameCube emulator (if there even is one on Android, I'm not sure)? I haven't donated on Kickstarter yet because it still seems too good to be true, but if it can run GameCube (or even N64, which I'm guessing shouldn't be an issue?) it's going to be really hard to pass up once it goes on sale.

Durante

Why is everyone under-estimating this thing? Because it's not from the big three?
Who is underestimating it? I'm estimating it from an educated technical perspective, and the GPU (even if they OC the Tegra 3 a lot) is simply not very good.

SlowRevolution said:
Apologies since I know this has probably already been covered, but should this be able to run a GameCube emulator
No chance in hell.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Apologies since I know this has probably already been covered, but should this be able to run a GameCube emulator (if there even is one on Android, I'm not sure)? I haven't donated on Kickstarter yet because it still seems too good to be true, but if it can run GameCube (or even N64, which I'm guessing shouldn't be an issue?) it's going to be really hard to pass up once it goes on sale.

It could only play Gamecube era games if they were specifically ported to Android, like in the case of GTA3 and Max Payne.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
But we know the hardware and what Tegra 3 is capable of.

That's what I'm afraid of, the Tegra 3 isn't cutting edge now. Blow it up to a big screen instead of a phone screen, it will look dated immediately. I'll be surprised if this ever comes out and isn't complete garbage.

As compared to what? If anything, it feels bizarrely underpriced and that concerns me. Luckily, they won't be spending money on superficial stuff like t-shirts or posters so all is going directly on development.

This is what I like as well. The cost needs to be on development not on rewards.

Boerseun

Banned
How is it people are still comparing the graphics from Ps360 projects with $200 million budgets and staff upwards of 400 people to these dedicated Tegra 3 projects made by small teams on shoestring budgets?

The games listed by Shion (Shadowgun, Dead Trigger, and more here) are already more graphically impressive than probably 80% of what's currently available on Ps360. Imagine what bigger teams with bigger budgets, working on OUYA with its proprietory architecture and Tegra 3+ graphics chipset, could achieve? And we're talking about the machine rendering the above games natively at 1080p. I'm not a graphics whore and even I know that is impressive considering form factor and price.

How is it people are still comparing the graphics from Ps360 projects with $200 million budgets and staff upwards of 400 people to these dedicated Tegra 3 projects made by small teams on shoestring budgets?

The games listed by Shion (Shadowgun, Dead Trigger, and more here) are already more graphically impressive than probably 80% of what's currently available on Ps360. Imagine what bigger teams with bigger budgets, working on OUYA with its proprietory architecture and Tegra 3+ graphics chipset, could achieve? And we're talking about the machine rendering the above games natively at 1080p. I'm not a graphics whore and even I know that is impressive considering form factor and price.
MauryLaughing.gif

Trigger

Yikes. I wouldn't go that far.

Who is underestimating it? I'm estimating it from an educated technical perspective, and the GPU (even if they OC the Tegra 3 a lot) is simply not very good.

A lot of people are underestimating it, have you seen this thread? People are saying it's only good for 2D games, that games will look like crap, that its games will look worse than cell phones from 2011. But people, this game console is going to be similar, but more powerful than, the brand new Nexus 7, which is thought of as being amazing for Android games at 720p. Yes, there are a couple devices a little more powerful out right now, but it's nothing big. It's really the things coming out by the end of the year which will start to have some big advantages, if games are written to support those devices.

neobiz

The only BoM estimate I can find was compiled by a "AllanGordon". It was a quick google fu and I'm at work so I can't spend much time on it. $99 seems low to me too.

* I'm not sure on rules of posting the address. :( *

Anybody want to run through his numbers?

OUYA BoM estimate posted:

Tegra 3 Processor $21
NAND/DRAM $13.50
Wifi/Bluetooth $11
HDMI/Ethernet $2.60
Enclosure $3.50
Power Management $1.75
MCU $1
PCB $6.75
USB $3.50
Powercord/Brick/packaging $10.40
Estimate BoM of OUYA unit $75

Controller (will be higher) $20
EMS $4.75
Manufacturing $7.50
BoM + EMS + Manufacturing $107.25

The only BoM estimate I can find was compiled by a "AllanGordon". It was a quick google fu and I'm at work so I can't spend much time on it. $99 seems low to me too.

Tegra 3 Processor $21
NAND/DRAM $13.50
Wifi/Bluetooth $11
HDMI/Ethernet $2.60
Enclosure $3.50
Power Management $1.75
MCU $1
PCB $6.75
USB $3.50

EMS $4.75
Manufacturing $7.50
The lead engineer at Ouya, who has 15 years experience getting hardware projects built and manufactured, most recently some of the Amazon Kindle models, says that because they are using mostly off the shelf parts, they can easily manufacture it for far less than $99.

emag

A lot of people are underestimating it, have you seen this thread? People are saying it's only good for 2D games, that games will look like crap, that its games will look worse than cell phones from 2011. But people, this game console is going to be similar, but more powerful than, the brand new Nexus 7, which is thought of as being amazing for Android games at 720p. Yes, there are a couple devices a little more powerful out right now, but it's nothing big. It's really the things coming out by the end of the year which will start to have some big advantages, if games are written to support those devices.

The market-leading iPad 2, iPhone 4S (a cell phone from 2011), and new iPad (3) say hello. All trounce the Tegra 3 (with the current iPad doing so by a factor of 2-4x).

The Ouya will be launching, at best, in the same time frame as the iPad 4. I wouldn't be surprised if that tablet delivered eight times the performance of the Ouya. (Of course, the iPad 4 will be a lot more expensive, have a locked-down marketplace, and lack have official controller support.)

Don't get your hopes too high is all I'm saying.

neobiz

The lead engineer at Ouya, who has 15 years experience getting hardware projects built and manufactured, most recently some of the Amazon Kindle models, says that because they are using mostly off the shelf parts, they can easily manufacture it for far less than $99.

I hope so, I put my money up. I don't take kindly to being ripped off.

I have no hopes and dreams of this 'box' replacing any of my other devices. I'm looking for a little box to hack on and I sold my Raspberry Pi because it just didn't have the balls to run xbmc smoothly for me. I'm sure in time it would have been sorted out but I would rather rely on a little more grunt than other people cleaning up software for me.

Oxn

Tegra 3 Processor $21
NAND/DRAM $13.50
Wifi/Bluetooth $11
HDMI/Ethernet $2.60
Enclosure $3.50
Power Management $1.75
MCU $1
PCB $6.75
USB $3.50

EMS $4.75
Manufacturing $7.50

Keep in mind, this is releasing in 3/2013, so the parts will be even cheaper by then.

Also whos to say just because the backers are getting the system for $100, that when its out for the public that it will cost 100 also. Unless I missed it somewhere.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
If Ouya becomes a Onlive/XBMC/Emulator box for 100$ that has a much smaller footprint than a PC, has good controllers, and looks good around your TV/Media Center, I think it has succeeded. I mean, nothing wrong with Xbox era graphics with better shaders and 1080p output. This isn't meant to compete with next-gen consoles anyway. It's a cheaper alternative and I think it will succeed to some extent depending on how many units they can sell post kickstarter as well as the amount of support they get from devs. Only time will tell. I was thinking of building an HTPC just to run emulators, but if this can do it all the way up to N64 gen... :)

As of now though, for a 100$ investment, knowing what it will already be able to do out of the box, I think it is already worth and when you consider what other products cost and the amount of features they offer compare to Ouya.

neobiz

Haha, and what are you going to do? Kickstarter offers no recourse to people who are in fact ripped off.

I'm gonna knock over a magazine rack.

Since Kickstarter offers no protection should I have said "I don't mind being ripped off"? lol

Keep in mind, this is releasing in 3/2013, so the parts will be even cheaper by then.

Also whos to say just because the backers are getting the system for $100, that when its out for the public that it will cost 100 also. Unless I missed it somewhere.

It'll be forgotten by the latter half of 2013.

I can only assume you guys play less games than I do.
Or we aren't completely oblivious to the numerable ways that the average console game outclasses tablet games from texture resolution to lighting to the vast difference in poly counts to the better AA, better texture filtering and so on.

This thing will also be running at 1080p rather than 800p in the Nexus 7 which is 2x the resolution so there is no way it will even get close to looking better than 80% of console games.

Chris R

Well I'm in for $99. Worst case scenario, I just use this to be my internet streaming solution for my TV, which for $99 isn't bad.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I did it. I see the potential for indie developers and hope to see some really good games.

Any chance Gameloft will release any tites? Order & Chaos?

zaidr

What I've been looking for, for a long time, is a browser that is controlled through a touch screen device I have in my hand, but can play all online videos (flash or otherwise) on the TV.

Will this device, paired with lets say a Nexus 7, be able to do what I am looking for?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Or we aren't completely oblivious to the numerable ways that the average console game outclasses tablet games from texture resolution to lighting to the vast difference in poly counts to the better AA, better texture filtering and so on.

This thing will also be running at 1080p rather than 800p in the Nexus 7 which is 2x the resolution so there is no way it will even get close to looking better than 80% of console games
I wonder if they can render at sub-HD like on the 360. Not that that will make graphics more detailed than 360.

Top Bottom