• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How is the graphics processor in this relative to the PS360?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Poor, even on the mobile gpu World there are better ones.

Thanks. A bit disappointed but I guess it's not designed to be a powerhouse. More a great indie dev machine.

XBMC doesn't have BUILT-IN Emulators, does it? I know people configure it to run NES libraries and stuff on it, but that'd be really neat to have in that tiny cube of a system.

Considering XBMC is now being developed on Android as a fully featured app: well duh. Still, it means that Ouya's definitely going to be a decent media box, so I might swing for it if it gets released over here (not going to drop a hundred bucks on something that might not exist now).

drspeedy

XBMC doesn't have BUILT-IN Emulators, does it? I know people configure it to run NES libraries and stuff on it, but that'd be really neat to have in that tiny cube of a system.

I thought XMBC just acted as a ROM browser basically, but I could be wrong. I don't use it much, but if Ouya turns out as great as it's sounding... I might have to bite.

Oxn

dammit, I caved

Im a huge cynic, but that Brown LE Ouya was just calling my name.

And I just got a full time job, so why not. Will never do something like this again.

Too many risk.

The product may never even make it to market. And if it does what if it fails?

What I atleast hope for is that it makes it to market, and if it fails, I can atleast use the controller as a PC game controller.

Oxn

One question. When they release it, how will they send you the product?

Kickstarter never asked for my address. I paid with amazon, do they get the address from them?

Jasoneyu

One question. When they release it, how will they send you the product?

Kickstarter never asked for my address. I paid with amazon, do they get the address from them?

With my past experience with other KS there was a form that was given at a later date that I had to fill out all my shipping information. I assume this KS will do the same.

Oxn

Im more concerned with this product coming to fruition than it failing.

If it fails, I still have a media player, so I dont care.

But If it doesnt make it to market then its money down the drain.

totowhoa

Banned
Wow, XMBC is on board. I'm still going to hold off on backing but this is shaping up pretty nicely. I'll probably be interested once this thing goes retail.

Blitzzz

Considering XBMC is now being developed on Android as a fully featured app: well duh. Still, it means that Ouya's definitely going to be a decent media box, so I might swing for it if it gets released over here (not going to drop a hundred bucks on something that might not exist now).

Ya, I don't get it. Why is everyone so excited when XBMC is being developed for android in general.

With my past experience with other KS there was a form that was given at a later date that I had to fill out all my shipping information. I assume this KS will do the same.
Yeah, the way Kickstarter works, after the deadline, they will charge your credit card, and then at some point after that everyone who pledged will be sent a "survey" asking for your shipping information, about any options in your pledge, etc.

Ya, I don't get it. Why is everyone so excited when XBMC is being developed for android in general.

If they are really working with the Ouya guys, then maybe they are going to make the XBMC interface fit in with Ouya's interface better. But the main thing is, Android apps won't be easily available on Ouya until someone ports them and puts them onto the Ouya store, so the knowledge that they are doing that for a day 1 release is great news.

Yeah, for $99 and official XBMC support, this thing is a no-brainer.

That is, assuming they don't take the money and split.

Would there be legal recourse if they do?

I think they will release something, I am just curious on how that would work out. 7 million seems like a lot of money to allow people to take and split. :)

Would there be legal recourse if they do?

I think they will release something, I am just curious on how that would work out. 7 million seems like a lot of money to allow people to take and split. :)

From Kickstarter's FAQ:

Kickstarter said:
Who is responsible for fulfilling the promises of a project?

It is the responsibility of the project creator to fulfill the promises of their project. Kickstarter reviews projects to ensure they do not violate the Project Guidelines, however Kickstarter does not investigate a creator's ability to complete their project.

Creators are encouraged to share links to any websites that show work related to the project, or past projects. It's up to them to make the case for their project and their ability to complete it. Because projects are usually funded by the friends, fans, and communities around its creator, there are powerful social forces that keep creators accountable.

The web is an excellent resource for learning about someone’s prior experience. If someone has no demonstrable prior history of doing something like their project, or is unwilling to share information, backers should consider that when weighing a pledge. If something sounds too good to be true, it very well may be.

In the end, I think you'd have shaky grounds for any legal recourse, because you aren't purchasing anything, you are basically donating money to a company that is promising rewards for certain donation levels.

fritolay

I don't understand everyone jumping back in with official XBMC support at launch. XBMC for Android was already announced.

Other things they announced, were already announced for Android and people mocked it. But hey if it "officially" being on the project gets people to support it, good for OUYA and XBMC

BriBri

Games line-up here... http://www.slashgear.com/ouya-details-games-as-7m-kickstarter-close-nears-07241995/

AR-K: A Dark Acid Adventure Comedy
Armored Tank Assault 2
Aura Tactics
Auro
Castle Conflict 2
Echoes of Eternea
Final Fantasy III
Gish (and more!)
Gravestompers
Gunblitz
Heroes Call and Ski Safari
Ittle Dew
Kaiju Combat
Kitaru
Legends of Aethereus
MANOS: The Hands of Fate
Megatroid
Mutant Mudds
Orbital Blaster
Quest for Infamy
Reincarnation: The Root of All Evil
Rival Threads
Rush Bros
Saturday Morning RPG
Spinferno
Super Retro Squad
Volgarr the Viking
Xenonauts

therapist

XBMC support will sell a lot of these.

Pretty awesome actually.

Also , no XBMC does not have emulators , it just makes shortcuts to your existing ones and i dont it to work very well.
It does however download covers/cartridge images automatically and very well - it downloaded the entire NES library for me , high quality pics as well.
However it seems very buggy to actually launch the emulator through xbmc ,at least for me , perhaps i just need to update my xbmc version.

Lothars

Yeah, for $99 and official XBMC support, this thing is a no-brainer.

That is, assuming they don't take the money and split.
Which I think is entirely possible, I hope they deliver but I will not back this kickstarter because they made me way more wary than have any faith in them delivering.

Lothars

What did they say or do that made you feel this way? What did I miss?
I had backed initally but after reading and seeing there interviews and just pretty much everything other than the announcements about xbmc and onlive still makes me incredibly wary about the system and I cancelled my backing.

I just don't see it coming out as quickly as they say or at the same build quality as they have talked about, If they do than great and I am wrong but i just can't justify to back them when i am not confident in the product they are showing.

I don't understand everyone jumping back in with official XBMC support at launch. XBMC for Android was already announced.

Other things they announced, were already announced for Android and people mocked it. But hey if it "officially" being on the project gets people to support it, good for OUYA and XBMC

As I said, XBMC being out for Android does NOT mean it's out for Ouya. Ouya as it ships does not have access to Google Play, only the Ouya store. You need to root the device to install any other store, and doing so disables the ability to use the Ouya store or any apps downloaded from it. The fact that from day 1 XBMC will be able to be installed onto Ouya without going to a lot of work is a great thing. Also, since the XBMC guys are actually working with Ouya, maybe they will update the interface to fit well with the Ouya interface.

I had backed initally but after reading and seeing there interviews and just pretty much everything other than the announcements about xbmc and onlive still makes me incredibly wary about the system and I cancelled my backing.

I just don't see it coming out as quickly as they say or at the same build quality as they have talked about, If they do than great and I am wrong but i just can't justify to back them when i am not confident in the product they are showing.
I don't get it - their revealing that their lead engineer has 15 years experience getting hardware designed and shipped, including the Amazon Kindle, made you more wary? Including the fact that that engineer said that the device could easily be manufactured for far under $99? How about all the consultants who have a lot of money invested in the company who have experience shipping hardware to market? How has anything they've said made you more wary than before it was said?

Especially when you bring up build quality, you don't think Yves Béhar can design something to have good build quality? Though he's previously designed the OLPC laptops meant for harsh conditions and abuse by children...

That list doesn't seem accurate, because of this one - I've been following Volgarr, and have pledged for its Kickstarter, and they said they *want* to do it for Ouya, but it isn't in the plans yet.

Crazy Viking Studios said:
We would love nothing more than to bring Volgarr the Viking to other platforms such as OUYA, XBLA/PSN (any publishers out there?), 3DS e-shop, Mac, and Linux! However, we need to concentrate on completing our lead sku for Win PC first. After Volgarr the Viking is on the market we can look into bringing it where ever the fans may want it, should there be sufficient demand, and the means to do so! We are especially big fans of OUYA and were developer level backers of that project, we wish them the best of luck!

Lothars

I don't get it - their revealing that their lead engineer has 15 years experience getting hardware designed and shipped, including the Amazon Kindle, made you more wary? Including the fact that that engineer said that the device could easily be manufactured for far under $99? How about all the consultants who have a lot of money invested in the company who have experience shipping hardware to market? How has anything they've said made you more wary than before it was said?

Especially when you bring up build quality, you don't think Yves Béhar can design something to have good build quality? Though he's previously designed the OLPC laptops meant for harsh conditions and abuse by children...
Doesn't mean I can't be wary of it, If it comes out and I missed the boat, no big deal.

If it doesn't than I didn't miss anything, I am just not going to invest into something that I am really unsure about. I hope it does come out and does everything they are talking about.

DiscoJer

XBMC is not a big deal on this thing, you could easily spend a small amount of cash and invest in a Raspberry Pi

Or you could spend a small amount of cash and buy this.

I don't own a Pi, so I'm not sure, but I believe you need to add a case, a power supply, a HDMI cable, and an sd card. None of which are expensive, exactly, but they do bring up the price past $35. And some sort of input device.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide

So you're likely up to about $60-70.

Also doesn't seem to have WiFi. I'm not sure you'll be able to stream from your PC to the Ouya, but who knows? But it does have WiFi, so I have hopes

saunderez

Or you could spend a small amount of cash and buy this.

I don't own a Pi, so I'm not sure, but I believe you need to add a case, a power supply, a HDMI cable, and an sd card. None of which are expensive, exactly, but they do bring up the price past $35. And some sort of input device.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide

So you're likely up to about $60-70.

Also doesn't seem to have WiFi. I'm not sure you'll be able to stream from your PC to the Ouya, but who knows? But it does have WiFi, so I have hopes

I do own a Raspberry Pi and it's gutless. It can run XBMC but barely and with worse performance than my Apple TV2. Don't buy one to run XBMC on, buy one because you want a cheap ARM based development board.

H2Yo

I really don't understand the hatred for the Ouya. People have a right to be cautious but why go out of the way to be a twat?

The XBMC rumour was the main reason I backed the Ouya and now that it has been confirmed, I'm stoked. I wonder if the Ouya will include a media player remote...

I really don't understand the hatred for the Ouya. People have a right to be cautious but why go out of the way to be...

From what I've seen, people are unimpressed by the specs. In addition, there is nothing the Ouya can do that the PC can't. Or... whatever. Sometimes people can be a little cynical.

Top Bottom