• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

I disagree referencing the points Stephen Colbert listed.

But what about the point that the Tegra 3 is the best Tegra chip that they can use? Tegra 4 has not been announced, and we know nothing about its specs, price, or release date. A small startup company would be stupid to wait an unknown amount of time for future unannounced hardware to see if it's hopefully worth the wait.

If I buy game in OUYA, can I play this game on any other android devices?

Doubt it'd be something supported officially, no.

You could most likely hack up something (just need an app that backs up installed apps as .apk files), but a chunk of the games on Ouya would probably not work with touch screen only devices anyhow.

Read somewhere that as soon as the OUYA team get the kickstarter money they will have to pay the IRS as kickstarter money is booked as income. True or false?

As I understand it, the Ouya team doesn't have to worry about that much - yes, Kickstarter pledges are considered income for the business, so if you don't do things right, you could be screwed. However, the Ouya team at Boxer8 claim that most of this money is going towards building the Ouya devices for the people who pledged the money, and that's an expense. As a business you pay taxes on any income left over after expenses at the end of the year. So in this case, they'll have to pay taxes on any surplus money left over after building those Ouyas, unless they use that surplus to pay other deductible expenses.

milsorgen

Banned
A ton of interest in Tegra 4 over at the Ouya comments page by the backers. These people funded them, I think they should at least consider what they have to say.

Those who want Tegra 4 need to email these points to the Ouya devs at info@ouya.tv

....[/b]
[/b]

For those curious AnandTech has benchmarks of current mobile hardware:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6126/glbenchmark-25-performance-on-ios-and-android-devices

Tegra 2, 3 etc. kind of interesting and totally bums me out as a Sony Tablet S (Tegra 2) owner.

Kokonoe

Banned
I didn't know Namco Bandai was in talks with Ouya, and Final Fantasy III was going to be a launch title. That's actually nice to know.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think the "curse of Kickstarter success" is relating, in part, to this piece from Wired:

5 Kickstarter Projects Slammed With Success

Printrbot: Your First 3D Printer

Deliverables: Brook Drumm, a web designer in Lincoln, California, wanted to make cheap 3-D printing kits.

Funding goal: $25,000

Amount received: $830,827

Complications: The IRS immediately smacked him with a $330,000 bill. "To be honest, there's very little money left," Drumm says. But try telling that to backers: "There's a crushing amount of customer support needed; they're just calling all day long."

End date: Pushed from January to summer.

For those curious AnandTech has benchmarks of current mobile hardware:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6126/glbenchmark-25-performance-on-ios-and-android-devices

Tegra 2, 3 etc. kind of interesting and totally bums me out as a Sony Tablet S (Tegra 2) owner.
Just to put it into perspective, Tegra 4 will likely only be slightly faster than the ipad2 (that's not a typo) never mind the ipad 3 or the ipad 4 that will be out by the time Ouya is out. If the Ouya comes out with Tegra 3 it will be completely outclassed by the ipad 3 and will be absolutely decimated by the ipad 4. It will also run at 1080p unlike those 800p tablets which is 2x the resolution so you can expect the performance to be around half that displayed in those benches putting it closer to the ipad 1. For a 2013 mobile device this is an unacceptable level of performance never mind something that's meant to be a dedicated console.

Just to put it into perspective, Tegra 4 will likely only be slightly faster than the ipad2 (that's not a typo) never mind the ipad 3 or the ipad 4 that will be out by the time Ouya is out. If the Ouya comes out with Tegra 3 it will be completely outclassed by the ipad 3 and will be absolutely decimated by the ipad 4. It will also run at 1080p unlike those 800p tablets which is 2x the resolution so you can expect the performance to be around half that displayed in those benches putting it closer to the ipad 1. For a 2013 mobile device this is an unacceptable level of performance never mind something that's meant to be a dedicated console.

Ipads cost $500.

tino

Banned

Unless Apple want to put A5 into Apple TV there is no point to compare them.

I think the "curse of Kickstarter success" is relating, in part, to this piece from Wired:

Interesting article...

Oh Expletive: Zombies, Unicorns and 8-Bit Creatures!
Deliverables: Phoenix illustrator Safwat Saleem dreamed of creating handmade screen prints. Pledging extra got you custom T-shirts and illustrations.
Funding goal: $3,000
Amount received: $32,000
Complications: It proved difficult to fulfill orders for 950 prints (not to mention 660 hand-screened T-shirt bonus gifts). "I did not budget my time at all," Saleem says. "Suddenly I have all these white-people problems, and I'm not even white."
End date: April deadlines pushed to June.

:lol

Tegra 4 doesn't add any cost to the hardware.

I read it on a forum, so it's true now. (It very well might be, but we don't know any details on what they're paying for tegra 3 or how feasible it would be to get tegra 4 in there without causing any delay.)

I would not mind at all if they put something more powerful than promised in the device I already paid for, but I certainly don't expect it.

Tegra 4 doesn't add any cost to the hardware.

Do you have a source of this information? I mean, since the Tegra 4 hasn't even been announced yet, and we know nothing else about it except *maybe* its clockspeed and 4+1 core setup based on a supposed leak, why would we know its cost?

twofold

Unless Apple want to put A5 into Apple TV there is no point to compare them.

It's a shame they don't put the A5X in the AppleTV. According to isuppli, the A5X only costs $23 compared to $14.20 for the A5. An AppleTV with an A5X inside and a controller would make for a pretty decent piece of gaming kit.

Do you have a source of this information? I mean, since the Tegra 4 hasn't even been announced yet, and we know nothing else about it except *maybe* its clockspeed and 4+1 core setup based on a supposed leak, why would we know its cost?

Not sure about source but someone said that Tegra 3 costs $10 while Tegra 4 costs $20. It does add to the cost but only a small fraction when compared with final cost of hardware.

P.S. Surprised they've had any serious update beside that "15 hours to go". Way to increase confidence in the ones investing their money.

Not sure about source but someone said that Tegra 3 costs $10 while Tegra 4 costs $20. It does add to the cost but only a small fraction when compared with final cost of hardware.

Yeah, that person was in this thread. I searched yesterday for all the info on the Tegra 4, and there isn't any at all. As I said a few posts ago, the only info that's in any way reliable was a supposed schedule of future mobile releases that got leaked in April that included very little information. Where this "super powered Tegra 4" stuff came from, is people speculating that a vague comment about how awesome nVidia's Kepler core is doing means that Tegra 4 would be based on Tegra. Like I said, Tegra 4 has yet to even be officially announced, and no specs have leaked beyond clock speed and the fact that it uses a similar setup as Tegra 3.

tino

Banned

P.S. Surprised they've had any serious update beside that "15 hours to go". Way to increase confidence in the ones investing their money.

Will you stop? When Tegra 4 come out the first 5 million will go to the next HTC One phone, then the next 5 million will go to Motorola and LG. And then a few more millions will go to the next Asus Transformer. There are plenty of $600 devices line up to get this soc. OUYA will not get the Tegra 4 in time Jesus fucking pole dancing Christ.

Nvidia would only need to set aside 60k Tegra 4s for the Ouya since only the early backers were promised the first run with everyone else getting them at a later date.

Nvidia wants to use the Tegra 4 to dominate the booming mobile gaming industry. It would be in their best interest to use the Ouya with all it's hype and press coverage as a flagship Tegra 4 box and get lots of developers designing for it.

If getting that Ouya press and developers out there convinces even one mobile phone maker to use Tegra 4 instead of some other SoC, it will be worth it for Nvidia.

The real question is, hypothetically this device launches as promised but with Tegra 4 and ddr3 ram for $129. Would you buy it at that price? I would.

Jasoneyu

Nvidia would only need to set aside 60k Tegra 4s for the Ouya since only the early backers were promised the first run with everyone else getting them at a later date.

Nvidia wants to use the Tegra 4 to dominate the booming mobile gaming industry. It would be in their best interest to use the Ouya with all it's hype and press coverage as a flagship Tegra 4 box and get lots of developers designing for it.

If getting that Ouya press and developers out there convinces even one mobile phone maker to use Tegra 4 instead of some other SoC, it will be worth it for Nvidia.

The real question is, hypothetically this device launches as promised but with Tegra 4 and ddr3 ram for $129. Would you buy it at that price? I would.

hypothetically is the big thing here. I don't know where you are getting your information but I can't find anything solid in terms of specs or price for Tegra 4, yet here you are just stating things like you have an inside line with nvidia. Ouya is nowhere near flagship in any sense of the word and it would be insane if they would prioritize their first lines of production to anything other than the major players that will need it asap on new mobile devices.

Here is my hypothetical, if the ouya launches with a tegra 4 chip not only would it be beyond 129 bucks, it will be delayed another year as they must design around a new chip. Which sounds more plausible?

It doesn't matter if *we* would - sure I would, though for all we know Tegra 4 will be a Tegra 3 that uses half the battery power and not come out until 2014. What matters is if *mainstream gamers* would pay extra. And that $99 pricetag goal is deathly important to those folks. I mean, think about it, you go above $99, and the thinking is, "Well, if I'm paying more than $100 anyways, maybe I should just pay a little more and get an XBox 360 or Wii." The low pricetag is one of the key aspects of the Ouya.

HyperionX

I'm pretty confident that even if Tegra 4 is all its cracked up to be, it'll still be nothing more than a current-gen level system, at best. Not even a Xbox 360 level GPU from power standpoint. And with much slower DDR3 RAM instead of GDDR4 too, meaning it will be bandwidth starved in comparison. So don't think we'll see any magic increases in graphics, other than seeing some iPad 3 level graphics but smoother. While it would be a neat thing to have, it's certainly not going to be a game-changer, and if it adds to the cost, and especially if it causes a major delay, it just won't be worth it.

nVidia isn't in the business of doing favors for bit players and unproven start ups. 60K units isn't even enough to get anyone of import on the phone, let alone worth "setting aside" inventory when their entire production capacity for months has been presold to major OEMs.

As for a $129 Tegra 4 powered Ouya, that's still going to look like a bad deal when it's on the shelf next to $150 4g 360s and Superslim PS3s.

Tegra currently faces an uphill battle vs the cheaper Samsung Exynos 5.

The Samsung Exynos 5 chip seems awesome. It will go head to head against Tegra 4 but it's already in production. Would be a great SoC to build the Ouya on.

This is the only current benchmark of the gpu in the Exyonos 5 SoC from Samnsung that is already in production now and can easily go into this device...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FKqrE-MIS...AE/s1600/galaxynote10.1-benchmark-520x304.jpg

As you can see, the Mali T604 gpu in Exynos 5 outperforms the GPU in the Tegra 3 by more than 4-fold. 14 vs 62.

Perhaps we should be emailing support@ouya.tv asking them to use the samsung exynos 5 going into production now instead of the ancient Tegra 3 using a older CPU (a9) and a 7 yr old ancient gpu.

tino

Banned

Tegra currently faces an uphill battle vs the cheaper Samsung Exynos 5.

The Samsung Exynos 5 chip seems awesome. It will go head to head against Tegra 4 but it's already in production. Would be a great SoC to build the Ouya on.

This is the only current benchmark of the gpu in the Exyonos 5 SoC from Samnsung that is already in production now and can easily go into this device...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FKqrE-MIS...AE/s1600/galaxynote10.1-benchmark-520x304.jpg

As you can see, the Mali T604 gpu in Exynos 5 outperforms the GPU in the Tegra 3 by more than 4-fold. 14 vs 62.

Perhaps we should be emailing support@ouya.tv asking them to use the samsung exynos 5 going into production now instead of the ancient Tegra 3 using a older CPU (a9) and a 7 yr old ancient gpu.

All the mali-604 news were from May. I think the actual Galaxy Note 10.1 has a mali 400MP from S3.

Alphahawk

I just read about this on Wikipedia. It sounds pretty cool, but I remain skeptical. I know from XBL Indies and the Iphone that open platforms can lead to a sea of crappy games with only a handful of worthwhile ones. Hopefully they can become more like Steam and less like the current Smartphone gaming landscape.

I just read about this on Wikipedia. It sounds pretty cool, but I remain skeptical. I know from XBL Indies and the Iphone that open platforms can lead to a sea of crappy games with only a handful of worthwhile ones. Hopefully they can become more like Steam and less like the current Smartphone gaming landscape.

Expect something from both worlds.

SteveWD40

I imagine it will be more like Andriod / iOS, the physical controller will lend itself well to ports and emulators though. The "being open" thing won't inspire many developers I would guess though.

Minecraft on the TV with controller support but no need for an Xbox would be nice I know that much.

Alphahawk

I imagine it will be more like Andriod / iOS, the physical controller will lend itself well to ports and emulators though. The "being open" thing won't inspire many developers I would guess though.

Minecraft on the TV with controller support but no need for an Xbox would be nice I know that much.

It does sound like there's some level of quality control though. Not Nintendo but more like Apple. For instance if a game does not have a demo it doesn't go up, so I imagine if someone made a blatant Zelda clone called "The Adventures of a Young Boy" it would also get the boot.

SteveWD40

It does sound like there's some level of quality control though. Not Nintendo but more like Apple. For instance if a game does not have a demo it doesn't go up, so I imagine if someone made a blatant Zelda clone called "The Adventures of a Young Boy" it would also get the boot.

Damn, cos I like the sound of that ;)

Needing a Demo is a great way to get round the main issue Apple has I suppose (that people can upload any old shit as long as it "looks" legit).

disap.ed

Funding goal: $25,000

Amount received: $830,827

Complications: The IRS immediately smacked him with a $330,000 bill. "To be honest, there's very little money left," Drumm says. But try telling that to backers: "There's a crushing amount of customer support needed; they're just calling all day long."

Didn't know Mike Rotunda is going for Kickstarter money *lol*

None of the console manufacturers would keep a game like that off their system. Only if it were legally breaking copyright or trademark laws, or if there was some other issue. From what I've read I wouldn't expect much in the way of quality control in the Ouya store, except what will naturally happen by forcing free demo gameplay (if you release crap, nobody will buy it).

Satchel

Banned
Got my email from OUYA today.

Letting me know I'll get the obsole a month early. They'll be sending me my survey to establish my username next month. Cool.

Got my email from OUYA today.

Letting me know I'll get the obsole a month early. They'll be sending me my survey to establish my username next month. Cool.

Got mine yesterday, I'm assuming that will work out the fact that I over pledged for the Limited Edition one that it was increased for overseas shipping and an additional controller.

The hype and developer interest around Ouya is negligible compared to the other design wins they are sure to have.

Alphahawk

None of the console manufacturers would keep a game like that off their system. Only if it were legally breaking copyright or trademark laws, or if there was some other issue. From what I've read I wouldn't expect much in the way of quality control in the Ouya store, except what will naturally happen by forcing free demo gameplay (if you release crap, nobody will buy it).

But that's the thing the hypothetical game I mentioned would be breaking copyright laws. Stuff like Gameloft games would obviously be allowed.

DiscoJer

OnLive thing wouldn't affect OUYA at all.

The OnLive deal was a bonus to owning the console. I was never buying OUYA for OnLive. I doubt many others were given the funding they already has before the OnLive deal was announced.

Yeah, I never planned on using it, but at the same time, it was the only thing that made some games on it possible that people apparently wanted to play (the more modern console games).

There's also the one Sony bought. They might open it up to other consoles simply to avoid anti-trust concerns (sort of like how the Vita has Skype even though MS owns it). And if onlive gets sold to another company, there is always that.

OnLive thing wouldn't affect OUYA at all.

The OnLive deal was a bonus to owning the console. I was never buying OUYA for OnLive. I doubt many others were given the funding they already has before the OnLive deal was announced.

The presence of AAA games on the console is a huge incentive for mainstream gamers, and OnLive was a cheap way for the console to have lots of the biggest AAA games. Of course it didn't matter much to the type of people who would pledge for Kickstarter, but for the millions of potential post-launch customers, it could be a make-or-break-it deal for the Ouya to be the cheapest console capable of playing Darksiders II.

The presence of AAA games on the console is a huge incentive for mainstream gamers, and OnLive was a cheap way for the console to have lots of the biggest AAA games. Of course it didn't matter much to the type of people who would pledge for Kickstarter, but for the millions of potential post-launch customers, it could be a make-or-break-it deal for the Ouya to be the cheapest console capable of playing Darksiders II.

Cheapest console capable of playing Darksiders II is the Onlive microconsole. At one point it was $45 for DS2 (with LE dlc), 1 month of "playpack access", and the microconsole.

Oxn

wow im sooo glad i didnt back the ouya now.

at first when the kickstarter ended i felt a little remorse because i want the LE brown unit, and thought i missed out.

but now with the rumor of iTV itll probably stomp all over ouya.

and i aint even an apple fan, dont have any of their products.

If they do plan for an Ouya 2 in an year or two, here is what it absolutely should feature..,

Nova A9600 28 nm ARMv7
2.5 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU
PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue) GPU
2GB Dual-channel 800 MHz LPDDR3/DDR3
ETA 2013

And it would exceed the Wii U in terms of performance, but at a small fraction of the price.

Before you underestimate the performance, read this article.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=666

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/2696934/powervr-series-6-mobile-gpu-announcement-ces-2012

Even the earliest PowerVR Series 6 GPUs are promised to be ~ 20x as powerful as the PowerVR Series 5 GPUs powering the Retina iPad. The latter ones are targeted towards high end gaming and target atleast a TF of performance, in line with the Xbox 720s performance. And of the decade I've been following PowerVR, the one thing I can say about them is that they consistently deliver on promised performance.

I am curious to see how the PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue) GPUs will match up against ARM's Mali T604 GPU and Nvidias Kepler/Maxwell/Einstein based mobile GPUs (Wayne/Logan/Stark), though if the past is any indication, PowerVR will eat them both alive.

Top Bottom