• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Moegames

Banned
I'd say more like, early/simple XBox 360. Here's a video of some of the best Android games using the Ouya's graphics setup, keeping in mind that the Ouya can run its GPU as fast as the GPU will go, unlike other Android devices which have to worry about battery life and the heat of tiny enclosed spaces.

Oh no man..nah dude..thats off. Its more like end of the life cycle of xbox1 when developers were getting the most out of the system..that is what you can expect from Ouya's little machine. To say its closer to xbox 360/ps3 early stuff is just absurd man.

VanWinkle

The graphics capabilities remind me of the average PSN or XBLA game. Certainly not retail PS3/360 level, but better than Xbox. I could be wrong. That's just from what I can tell.

kuroshiki

The graphics capabilities remind me of the average PSN or XBLA game. Certainly not retail PS3/360 level, but better than Xbox. I could be wrong. That's just from what I can tell.

Looks like xbox1 games to me. None of them looks nowhere near polished as DOA3 or Gotham racing though.

HyperionX

Looks like xbox1 games to me. None of them looks nowhere near polished as DOA3 or Gotham racing though.

Xbox1 was much worse than you remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNkxHOE_AQ8

The biggest weakness of the 6th generation of consoles was its inability to do HD graphics. On modern TVs they would look like complete crap. Ouya won't have this problem. EDIT: And they have too little VRAM, so texture quality would be shit too. Ouya has about 1GB of RAM compared to 64MB for Xbox 1.

LN3000

Neo Member
I was excited for the OUYA when I first saw the kickstarter, and was even fully prepared to go in for the $150 special edition.
But at the last day of the Kickstarter, I backed out. I'm just not sure I see this as great as everyone is building it up to be, as first expected.
I think I'll prefer just playing games on my computer, and playing on the existing consoles for any game not on computer. There's just no room in my TV hookup for yet another console that I probably will only play once every month or so, compared to the Xbox360 and WiiU.
And now that there's Steam TV Support, that pretty much covers all bases.
All else, I've got my iPad.

Typing all that out makes me sound like a whiney spoiled brat. blech. :p

HyperionX

Bad example. Halo series never looked that great. Check out Otogi 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6wxMA6_9Pw
Panzer Dragoon Orta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXTsC-fz0O0
Kingdoms under Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgC8HzuT0TI

Low quality vids sadly. Games look much better in person, and about the level of the Tegra

Those look nothing like what Tegra 3 games can reach. For instance: Shadowgun. The lack of real HD and VRAM are absolute killers for the Xbox 1 games in comparison. And to make sure, here is Panzer Dragoon Orta with a much better screen capture. It still looks nowhere close.

Shion

Tegra 3 is perfectly fine for what Ouya aims for. XBOX1+ in HD has the potential to look great.

And it's not like Ouya aims for games like Uncharted anyway.

Aaron

Tegra 3 is perfectly fine for what Ouya aims for. XBOX1+ in HD has the potential to look great.

And it's not like Ouya aims for games like Uncharted anyway.
Why not? The innards of the PS3 are ancient by current technology standards. Tegra 3 is exceptional for its use in mobile devices. Most of its benefits are negated by putting it in a console.

pswii60

Those look nothing like what Tegra 3 games can reach. For instance: Shadowgun. The lack of real HD and VRAM are absolute killers for the Xbox 1 games in comparison. And to make sure, here is Panzer Dragoon Orta with a much better screen capture. It still looks nowhere close.

To be fair, PDO ran at a silky smooth 60fps on Xbox.

Still, this is becoming an awful lot like the Wii U thread. Are people really going to be buying an Ouya for the graphics capabilities? I should imagine most people on here will be buying it as a cheap media box and not even for the games. In terms of gaming, I'm really not sure what Ouya is going to offer that the likes of Steam/360/PS3/Wii U can't.
You really that that people are going to make games of Uncharted-budget for the Ouya?

nikatapi

Why not? The innards of the PS3 are ancient by current technology standards. Tegra 3 is exceptional for its use in mobile devices. Most of its benefits are negated by putting it in a console.

But you have to keep cost and size in mind. Ouya will be tiny. And i think it will be mostly a platform for indie development, not millon dollar budget games.

DiscoJer

The main benefit of it is that it's cheap. It's not supposed to be a cutting edge piece of technology, it's supposed to be an accessible piece of technology, both for gamers and developers

SGRU

I want to buy this thing for using it as a media center and as a MAME station, so I don't really care about how much polygons can it handle.

fritolay

Steams big picture makes this seem even more irrelevant, no? to me it does...

I don't think many people still hook up their PC to their HD TV's. Many people don't spend 10 dollars for an adapter to hook up their phones to HD TV's. A phone today with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and MHL adapter can but most don't.

Therefore, a box made just for hooking up to a TV is still relevant.

1-UP

Banned

You don't seem to understand the philosophy behind OUYA.

Many people don't spend 10 dollars for an adapter to hook up their phones to HD TV's.

Cost me $30, and then another $40 for the USB adapter so I could use a PS3 controller in without rooting the device or hacking the controller... but, for $70 I turned my $600 Android Tablet into a $99 Ouya!

I don't think many people still hook up their PC to their HD TV's. Many people don't spend 10 dollars for an adapter to hook up their phones to HD TV's. A phone today with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and MHL adapter can but most don't.

Therefore, a box made just for hooking up to a TV is still relevant.

The Steam Box is inevitable. I would not be surprised if it's announced before the Ouya ships.

Aaron

You don't seem to understand the philosophy behind OUYA.
Yeah. After this discussion I don't think I do. Between a robust PC and an ipad I don't see what purpose it serves. You could probably dumpster dive a PC with more power than this thing.

HyperionX

I'm pretty sure most gaffers missed the point of the iPod, iPhone, iPad, Wii, DS, etc., when they launched. We honestly have a very narrow viewpoint when it comes to our hobbies.

HyperionX

Hmmm.... the WiiU looks to be expensive for something not much more powerful than current gen. And the games arE $60 too. Between my PC and its steam sales, the Ouya might seriously be my only console this time around.

kuroshiki

Hm... interesting. I wonder if they are simply referring to the username reservations or if it is something else like a big partnership or game.

Games, emulators, media player, HTPC etc. What more do you want? Graphiczzz?

Well, to be fair, my $200 laptop powered with C2D can do everything you mentioned above.

1-UP

Banned
Well, to be fair, my $200 laptop powered with C2D can do everything you mentioned above.

Yes, but is your laptop open source and hackable with a built in dev-kit, are all games F2P, are all games optimized for the hardware and is your laptop around the size of a Rubik's cube? Oh, and does it cost $99 and comes with a wireless controller with a built in trackpad? Answer: No. ;)

DiscoJer

Eh. I just want to play all the various mobile games I read about, with buttons. Seems like iOS and Android are getting a lot of interesting stuff these days.

Will a lot of the Android stuff make it to Ouya? Maybe not, but worth a try. Cheaper than the Wikipad or that Archos game tablet...

TheD

The Detective
Yes, but is your laptop open source and hackable with a built in dev-kit, are all games F2P, are all games optimized for the hardware and is your laptop around the size of a Rubik's cube? Oh, and does it cost $99 and comes with a wireless controller with a built in trackpad? Answer: No. ;)

Sigh.

Laptops can run linux and other open source OSs, Windows and Linux SDKs are freely available, not all Ouya games are F2P! and I doubt much work will go into optimizing for the hardware.

Sure a laptop is not as cheap or small, but it is much more powerful and has a screen.

Boerseun

Banned
Free to Play in OUYA parlance simply means there will be a demo for every game with the in app option of purchasing the full game and/or additional content. This was explained right near the beginning of the Kickstarter campaign, if I remember correctly.

Sigh.

Laptops can run linux and other open source OSs, Windows and Linux SDKs are freely available, not all Ouya games are F2P! and I doubt much work will go into optimizing for the hardware.

Sure a laptop is not as cheap or small, but it is much more powerful and has a screen.

You are not wrong, but the real question is: why has there always been a market for consoles and handhelds when you basically just had to hook up your laptop to your TV to get so many beautiful things with more power?

The answer is much diverse, but it has to do with form factor, price and platform optimization.

Free to Play in OUYA parlance simply means there will be a demo for every game with the in app option of purchasing the full game and/or additional content. This was explained right near the beginning of the Kickstarter campaign, if I remember correctly.

There is probably a lot of games that will do this, but this doesn't need to be the rule. And I really prefer, when I can try a game before I purchase it. The problems with Demos as we know them is that they cost extra to produce and were often based on unfinished, not optimzed code. In that context you get more like a full game trial. And that is a nice concept in my eyes.

1-UP

Banned
Sigh.

"Can"... yes, but that's not what I asked you. :)

All games will be F2P and all games will be fully optimized, according to the OUYA creator Julie Uhrman.

thuway

If they do plan for an Ouya 2 in an year or two, here is what it absolutely should feature..,

Nova A9600 28 nm ARMv7
2.5 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU
PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue) GPU
2GB Dual-channel 800 MHz LPDDR3/DDR3
ETA 2013

And it would exceed the Wii U in terms of performance, but at a small fraction of the price.

Before you underestimate the performance, read this article.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=666

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/2696934/powervr-series-6-mobile-gpu-announcement-ces-2012

Even the earliest PowerVR Series 6 GPUs are promised to be ~ 20x as powerful as the PowerVR Series 5 GPUs powering the Retina iPad. The latter ones are targeted towards high end gaming and target atleast a TF of performance, in line with the Xbox 720s performance. And of the decade I've been following PowerVR, the one thing I can say about them is that they consistently deliver on promised performance.

I am curious to see how the PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue) GPUs will match up against ARM's Mali T604 GPU and Nvidias Kepler/Maxwell/Einstein based mobile GPUs (Wayne/Logan/Stark), though if the past is any indication, PowerVR will eat them both alive.

This sounds like something feasible five years from now. This does make me wonder- what the fuck are MS / Sony thinking by going so low powered next-gen :(.

iceatcs

"Can"... yes, but that's not what I asked you. :)

All games will be F2P and all games will be fully optimized, according to the OUYA creator Julie Uhrman.
You mean they only accept F2P games? What about non-free apps? That will too much limit.

You mean they only accept F2P games? What about non-free apps? That will too much limit.

Meaning that all games must offer free demo play, F2P/freemium structure, or some other way to try out the game first before spending any money. Games can be traditional, but have to offer trial or demo play on day one. This is just like MS enforcing mandatory demos for XBLA. Totally pro-consumer in this regard.

Katori

But they've already confirmed that games can just have a trial, like XBLA. That's considered F2P by them. Which is good, yay diversity.

Why are you even arguing this?

Ouya Kickstarter said:
We're handing the reins over to the developer with only one condition: at least some gameplay has to be free. We borrowed the free-to-play model from games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Triple Town, and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe.

Ouya Kickstarter said:
When you say "free games," what does that mean exactly?

We want you to pay only for the games you love. A “free to play” model works when everyone (gamers and game makers) benefits from directly rewarding amazing games.

For gamers, every game will be free to play: what this means is that there will at least be a free demo, or you’ll be able to play the entirety of the game for free but may have access to additional items, upgrades, or other features that come at a cost.

For developers, free to play means that they can set their own prices. Developers know best: There is no better way to sell a game than to have folks that have actually touched the game share glowing reviews with their friends. By allowing some form of free play, we’ll help them do just that. The only reason you used to pay for games before playing them is that you couldn’t try them at the store before you brought them home – it’s a relic of an old way of doing business, and one of the many things about the games business we plan to change.

Top Bottom