• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Alphahawk

You don't need an ouya to use onlive, though, and if your internet service isn't good enough for onlive now, it won't be with the ouya either.

I think the worry is that with Onlive Ouya will have a large amount of "known games" that otherwise would not appear on the console.

You don't need an ouya to use onlive, though, and if your internet service isn't good enough for onlive now, it won't be with the ouya either.

I needed to be far more clear, heh. I was responding to the suggestion that boxer8 might have gotten involved in an acquisition, which would be terrible for Ouya. Onlive is nothing but an extra bullet point, and I honestly think less important than having media capabilities through xbmc/plex. Personally, being somewhat sensitive to IQ issues and latency, I have no warm spot in my heart for game streaming, now or two decades from now.

Shion

Screw the Tegra 3, either the Tegra 4 or Samsung Exynos 5 SoC or Bust
tumblr_l4p9co_E0o_Z1qbzf0vo1_500.gif

Screw the Tegra 3, either the Tegra 4 or Samsung Exynos 5 SoC or Bust

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6148/samsung-announces-a15malit604-based-exynos-5-dual

Beggar's can't be choosers for only $109. While I agree the time it ships the Tegra 4 Soc will be out or rumored to be the T3 should still be more than enough. If they decide to upgrade system spec's I wonder how that's going to factor in the change of the pricing, figuring they have to be getting a discount on the T3's. But hey they got 8 million dollars, so how can say.

If I buy game in OUYA, can I play this game on any other android devices?

No. They already answered that actually. If you buy it on Ouya you still need to buy it if it's also available on an Android device (phone, tablet) and vice versa. as for playing it same deal unless you sideload assuming that will still be around come then.

Just to put it into perspective, Tegra 4 will likely only be slightly faster than the ipad2 (that's not a typo) never mind the ipad 3 or the ipad 4 that will be out by the time Ouya is out. If the Ouya comes out with Tegra 3 it will be completely outclassed by the ipad 3 and will be absolutely decimated by the ipad 4. It will also run at 1080p unlike those 800p tablets which is 2x the resolution so you can expect the performance to be around half that displayed in those benches putting it closer to the ipad 1. For a 2013 mobile device this is an unacceptable level of performance never mind something that's meant to be a dedicated console.

First off the iPad is $500 compared to $109. Secondly the Ouya is not competing with the mobile market, it's not competing with the consoles either. It's in it's own league, it's own niche that allows Android users to use their TV's while allowing developers who want to put games / applications out that can't get them onto a major console due to licensing, restrictions and red tape.

wow im sooo glad i didnt back the ouya now.

at first when the kickstarter ended i felt a little remorse because i want the LE brown unit, and thought i missed out.

but now with the rumor of iTV itll probably stomp all over ouya.

and i aint even an apple fan, dont have any of their products.

So you missed a chance for some totally awesome for only $99 and have hopes for something Apple that hasn't even put spec's out for, laid any documentation on ground work, DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO USE YOUR OWN TV AND COSTS (rumored) TO BE AROUND $1500???? I think you've completely missed the point of the Ouya and that it doesn't cripple you into just one thing. On that note I'd be surprised if it even comes out, I mean the TV business has been stale for some time and I don't see it getting better. on that same token why punish consumers force them to get yet another LCD based device, unless they want it.

gcubed

Tegra4 only slightly faster than the ipad2 and not faster than the 3? I feel like I'm in a world where someone knows nothing about mobile processors

Tegra4 only slightly faster than the ipad2 and not faster than the 3? I feel like I'm in a world where someone knows nothing about mobile processors

I agree that that's a strange statement, but since we literally know nothing about Tegra 4, it's always possible :)

Durante

Well, we know nothing about Tegra 4. What we do know though is that Tegra 1, 2 and 3 all had really disappointing mobile GPUs for their time. Especially considering that they were made by NV. So it's not such a strange assumption that Tegra 4 will follow the pattern.

I likewise am curious to see how the PowerVR Series6 (Rogue) GPUs will match up against ARM's Mali T604 GPU and Nvidias Kepler/Maxwell/Einstein based mobile GPUs (Wayne/Logan/Stark), and if the past is any indication, PowerVR will indeed eat them both alive.

However, I wouldnt bet against Nvidia. Tegra 1/2/3 were all based on a 7-8 yr old design. Tegra 4 will be the first time Nvidia puts any sort of actual effort into their mobile gpus and brings over their modern architecture. They know how critical a market the mobile platform is shaping up to be and by all indications, they are going all out this time. Tegra 4 should be quite the performance monster.

Tegra 4 will be the first time Nvidia puts any sort of actual effort into their mobile gpus and brings over their modern architecture. They know how critical a market the mobile platform is shaping up to be and by all indications, they are going all out this time. Tegra 4 should be quite the performance monster.

Got any source for this information?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Tegra 4 will be the first time Nvidia puts any sort of actual effort into their mobile gpus and brings over their modern architecture. They know how critical a market the mobile platform is shaping up to be and by all indications, they are going all out this time. Tegra 4 should be quite the performance monster.

Show me.

ss_lemonade

They are both full SoCs. One can be swapped in place of the other with minimal work.

Tegra 4 is a MASSIVE leap over Tegra 3. Tegra 3 is based on a 7 yr old architecture, Tegra 4 is based on their newest Kepler architecture. It supports DirectX 11+, OpenGL 4.X, and PhysX. And it packs the cutting edge a15 CPU that arm has been working on since 2009 and won't be topped for 3 yrs at least. Tegra 5 likewise isn't due out till end of 2014. So Tegra 4 wont be truly topped for a long while.
I'll be a believer only after I see the thing in action. Wasn't tegra 3 marketed the same way (like it was supposed to be ahead of the competition or something)? I've seen a one x and nexus 7 already and the thd exclusive stuff they're pumping out reminds me more of PC games with locked out settings and its frustrating especially when competing devices like the s3 can brute force run a lot of these just fine through chainfire or some other hack, and sometimes with better framerates as well

tino

Banned
Cross posting from the Android thread:

So I was browsing kickstarters (and donated 10 bux to the Tesla museum project) and I came across another OUYA like box.

http://shop.infinitec.com/

Its called pocket TV and what it is, its basically a slower OUYA with full android play store access and IR port!, and you can buy the remote with Wiimote-like directional control. However the chip is a single A9 core, which is alot slower than the OUYA 4XA9 nVidia soc.

Its probably still better than Google TV though. If I can get MLB, NFL apps work on it, plus XBMC and Diceplayer, its better than google TV already.

This gadget has convinced me there is no way there won't be another round of consolidation in the smart set top box space. I am sitting out this year.

TheNatural

My Member!
Looks like GameStop is going to pick this up:

"We will be a part of any console launch in the future," GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines told Joystiq this morning, when asked about GameStop's interest in stocking the Ouya console.

Though he was clear to note that the company did not have an official announcement regarding any potential plans to carry the Android console, Raines was positive about the device. "We think Ouya's cool. We love the idea of open-source components. Everything we've read is great."

Raines related the new console to the Google Nexus 7 tablet that GameStop sells – and that Raines turned on during our conversation in order to remember a game he wanted to talk about (It was Dead Trigger.) "Here's the exciting thing that's happening: if you look at the power of the processor like the Tegra 3 or the x86 stuff that's coming on Windows tablets, you've got a processor now and graphics capability that are really exciting," he said.

"There will be games developed for that stuff. So you're going to see more of these open source type products, and we will be right in the middle of all of it."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/gamestop-interested-in-ouya/

It shouldn't be considered a big deal at all - it's a new game console, a 4th one, of course the only remaining game store franchise of any size is going to sell it. Too many people think of the Ouya as a niche gadget, not the mainstream game console that it's obvious the company thinks of it as and is going to market it as.

Arcticfox

I am surprised GameStop would be interested in selling a device which they can not sell software for. Since most of their revenue is from selling new and used games I would think they would be hoping the Ouya fails. If the Ouya catches on and other consoles switch to the online only business model, GameStop goes out of business.

That's a good point. Maybe they can make a profit from the hardware itself, and in fact they can sell accessories for it (like extra controllers, since the system supports up to 4 of them).

1-UP

Banned
Ouya’s hardware engineer Muffi Ghadiali discusses the inner workings of Ouya’s hardware and addresses criticisms of its off-the-shelf components in this exclusive interview.

Q: Why did you decide to use the Tegra 3 chip and what do you say to people who think the chip will start to show its age by 2013?

A: It’s no surprise that people read through our plans and talk about how they would do it differently or could do it better by doing X, Y or Z. But we are confident in our ability to provide a great gaming experience based on the specs we’ve outlined. Many of the people who question this decision are thinking in mobile terms and forget that Ouya doesn’t have a battery or a screen, so we don’t have to balance power for battery life. 

We are actively working with NVidia to maximize the power of the Tegra 3. With Tegra 3 we can offer provide performance without significantly driving up costs. By integrating a current product rather than a future product we have an advantage in that we know exactly how it performs, and can get developers working on Ouya as soon as possible.

Q: Can
 you go into more detail about how you’ll be maximizing the chip’s power with NVidia?

A: The Tegra3 has been traditionally optimized for mobility and battery life. Since Ouya is a console that’s always connected to a power supply, that’s not a concern for us. We can increase graphics performance, and gamers will experience higher fidelity graphics and smoother performance.

Interesting. Full interview here.

I am surprised GameStop would be interested in selling a device which they can not sell software for. Since most of their revenue is from selling new and used games I would think they would be hoping the Ouya fails. If the Ouya catches on and other consoles switch to the online only business model, GameStop goes out of business.

They sell iphones and tablets and other stuff like that. Nothing new for them.

And if Ouya were to wind up to be a significant hit, I'm sure they'd want in on the business of selling download codes for Ouya games (or pre-paid Ouya cash cards) like they do for games on other platforms.

Boerseun

Banned
Interesting. Full interview here.

Thanks for the link!

Muffi makes a good point. This is Tegra 3, in a closed-box environment, as part of a super-efficient architecture (hardware and software). OUYA's performance should handily exceed what you've seen from mobile devices using the chipset.

Also, I like this reply from the comments section:

Also keep in mind, this is 100 dollars. That's cheaper than two games on the current generation consoles. You are going to see developers boom on OUYA(me being one of them).

That excitement right there is why this thing will be a hit.

I hope this system is successful, but if it is I hope the games are actually good. I think they will be, but I just hope it doesn't wind up being a shovelware only system. In a way, I feel the Ouya will really fill the void of the market that the Wii wanted to fill, only more successful. Simple, intuitive, cheap and accessible. This system really can coexist alongside the nextgen HD consoles if done right.

Eh, GameStop can always sell download codes for games or something with the Ouya. Hell, if its successful I wouldn't be surprised if GameStop tries to get a partnership on some front.

Aguirre

i read somewhere (reddit i think) that Ouya is a glorified ps2 spec wise?

idk anything about Ouya or even its specs, but in comparison, what is Ouya's equal?

Ouya will do better because it doesn’t have a battery or a screen, it is always connected to a power supply, so the developers don’t have to balance power for battery life. They can maximize the power of the Tegra 3 for increased graphics performance.

Each A9 core on the Nexus 7 is downclocked to 1.3 Ghz for battery considerations. Each A9 core is capable of running at 2 Ghz.

So the CPU will certainly be blazing fast on the Ouya.

But the Nvidia Tegra 3 GPU was built specifically to target tablets, I don't think they will be able to get much additional performance out the GPU in the Ouya. So it really becomes a PS3 situation, where devs would have to utilize a very powerful CPU to minimize the load on a fairly weak GPU.

Ouya will do better because it doesn’t have a battery or a screen, it is always connected to a power supply, so the developers don’t have to balance power for battery life. They can maximize the power of the Tegra 3 for increased graphics performance.

Wa-what?

Having a smaller screen resolution means games can perform better.

Oersted

and still, the most interest thing about ouya is that it gained the biggest amont of money ever on kickstarter. says way too much.

and still, the most interest thing about ouya is that it gained the biggest amont of money ever on kickstarter. says way too much.

It's way too early to say that's the most interesting thing about the Ouya.

It's not out yet.

Though odds are against it, it has a chance at fundamentally transforming console gaming.

If it launches without a hitch and has enough games to make it a success post launch, I expect to see in a $99 Ouya 2 by 2013-2014 packing a...

Nova A9600 28 nm ARMv7
2.5 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU
PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue) GPU
2GB Dual-channel 800 MHz LPDDR3/DDR3

And it would exceed the Wii U in terms of performance, but at a small fraction of the price.

Before you underestimate the performance, read this article.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=666

Even the earliest PowerVR Series 6 GPUs are promised to be ~ 20x as powerful as the PowerVR Series 5 GPUs powering the Retina iPad. The latter ones are targeted towards high end gaming and target atleast a TF of performance, in line with the Xbox 720s performance. And of the decade I've been following PowerVR, the one thing I can say about them is that they consistently deliver on promised performance.

I am curious to see how the PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue) GPUs will match up against ARM's Mali T604 GPU and Nvidias Kepler/Maxwell/Einstein based mobile GPUs (Wayne/Logan/Stark), though if the past is any indication, PowerVR will eat them both alive.

Ranger X

So, since I couldn't find it in their Kickstarter and the OP here, I have a question that will decide if I pre-order this or not:

- Does it, from the get go, play all Android games available on the (whatever its called) Android market. Like, can I buy this and suddendly play the available Kairosoft games on my TV screen?

So, since I couldn't find it in their Kickstarter and the OP here, I have a question that will decide if I pre-order this or not:

- Does it, from the get go, play all Android games available on the (whatever its called) Android market. Like, can I buy this and suddendly play the available Kairosoft games on my TV screen?

No, it can't.

Ranger X

Damn, then I will buy this if only if it's cheaper than an Android phone. I can already devellop for Android, I just need the platform itself. And for gaming, I will need to wait and see what kind of support it receives. :(

Out of the box it doesn't have access to the Android market, that's something someone will probably hack in. But even then, most games rely on touch screens to actually play, which this obviously doesn't have.

Not sure on if games that already have some sort of keypad/controller support on Android will recognize the Ouya controller as a valid input method without modification.

Gravijah

someone said if they do an Ouya 2 these should be the specs

Nova A9600 28 nm ARMv7
2.5 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU
PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue) GPU
2GB Dual-channel 800 MHz LPDDR3/DDR3
ETA 2013

And 8.5 million isn't even remotely enough to start hardware manufacturing.

So you're saying that their lead engineer, who has over a decade of experience getting hardware manufactured, most recently the Amazon Kindle, is an incompetent liar? That the Angel investor consulants who all have experience getting hardware manufactured, including Ed Fries who headed the XBox project at Microsoft, don't know what they are talking about?

And how do you explain the Raspberry Pi, which had an initial batch of 10,000 units manufactured in Taiwan and China, funded primarily by $25 preorders?

What experience do you have getting products manufactured, that you can make this claim?

Edit:
I just did some research, and found a Chinese company that gave some example prices to get manufacturing started.

Costs will of course heavily depend on the complexity and size of the product. For a simple small gadget, Titoma's budgets to do everything needed start at $35,000 of Non-Recurring Expenses (NRE), which includes engineering, mold making (for the housing of the device), prototyping, and certifications. Larger products with a lot of programming run in excess of $100,000.

So you figure, let's say this is one of the "larger projects", in excess of $100,000, so let's say $150,000 to get the manufacturing process setup. This cost has nothing to do with the number of units they are manufacturing, it'd be the same if they were making one or 100,000 Ouya's. So the more preorders the better; it means that of the 60,000 or so Ouya's being manufactured for pre-launch, $2.50 of each unit's $99 price would go towards setting up the manufacturing. And thanks to Kickstarter, they got this money all up front.

1-UP

Banned
Offensive Combat, confirmed for OUYA.

U4iA founder Dusty Welch

“Everyone here at U4iA Games is excited to bring our titles to Ouya! Given that consoles are so expensive and face an uncertain future, Ouyastands out as the perfect example of an affordable home-entertainment platform created specifically for core gamers like us.

“We’ve used our profound wisdom to create a cheeky, free-for-all shooting mash-up called Offensive Combat. Moving forward, we can’t wait to bring all-new games in the Offensive Combat universe to the Ouya platform.”

So you're saying that their lead engineer, who has over a decade of experience getting hardware manufactured, most recently the Amazon Kindle, is an incompetent liar? That the Angel investor consulants who all have experience getting hardware manufactured, including Ed Fries who headed the XBox project at Microsoft, don't know what they are talking about?

And how do you explain the Raspberry Pi, which had an initial batch of 10,000 units manufactured in Taiwan and China, funded primarily by $25 preorders?

What experience do you have getting products manufactured, that you can make this claim?

Edit:
I just did some research, and found a Chinese company that gave some example prices to get manufacturing started.

So you figure, let's say this is one of the "larger projects", in excess of $100,000, so let's say $150,000 to get the manufacturing process setup. This cost has nothing to do with the number of units they are manufacturing, it'd be the same if they were making one or 100,000 Ouya's. So the more preorders the better; it means that of the 60,000 or so Ouya's being manufactured for pre-launch, $2.50 of each unit's $99 price would go towards setting up the manufacturing. And thanks to Kickstarter, they got this money all up front.

Qft.

Top Bottom