• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

The have over 46000 units left so the OUYA team could easily just let him in if they wanted to but... no. Keeping your customers happy should always be a priority, but not for OUYA.

They lost one customer and hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

Whatever.

Let's just agree to disagree.

As people have mentioned before, they don't have those units left over. That's a place holder number. It started with 5,000 total. They increased the number as they got more orders. They aren't going to make 80,000 units from Kickstarter.

A ton of interest in Tegra 4 over at the Ouya comments page by the backers. These people funded them, I think they should at least consider what they have to say.

Those who want Tegra 4 need to email these points to the Ouya devs at info@ouya.tv

1. Tegra 3s gpu is based on a 7 yr old architecture. Tegra 4s gpu will be the first time Nvidia brings its modern gpu architecture and unified shaders to the mobile space. Tegra 3 produces semi decent graphics at smartphone resolutions only when there are minimal resources dedicated to things like framerate, physics, AI, number of enemies and having wide open levels. Pare it up to 1080p resolutions and ideally four person multiplayer gaming and no I dont see how the Tegra 3 is good enough to pull it even okay 3d graphics without massively sacrificing things like physics, framerate, number of simultaneous enemies and friendlies and large rooms (instead of small cooridors) all of which hurts gameplay. Tegra 4 offers unified shaders and a far improved architecture. By all indications it would allow for significantly better gameplay (lots of enemies, open levels, solid physics, 1080p/60fps). Tegra 4 supports DirectX 11+, OpenGL 4.X, and PhysX. Tegra 4 also uses the a15 CPU which is a vastly superior architecture to the a9 architecture used by the Tegra 3.

2. By launching with the Tegra 3, the Ouya team faces a real risk of someone releasing a Tegra 4 box mid 2013 and eating away at the Ouyas sales. It's a nobrainer for someone to do this given how much revenue the Ouya raised even with outdated hardware. The Ouya devs would then have to decide between letting this device eat away at their market, or releasing a Ouya 2 just a few months after Ouya 1 which is a surefire way to piss off your customers and scare off new ones.

3. As someone who forked down $130 for a device that's wont be out for another 8 months, I certainly wouldnt mind having to wait an extra three months to get an exponentially better device. They already have the money. They should make the best possible device they can with it, even if it takes a little bit longer. March 2013 is clearly listed as an estimated delivery date. Key word being estimated. Not a promise, not a guarantee, just an estimate.

4. The Tegra 4 soc goes into production end of 2012, several months before the Ouya launches. The Tegra 4 soc costs $21, same as the Tegra 3 soc costs.

5. OUYA is getting a 30% profit on each game sold from developers. The longer legs the Ouya has, the more money they stand to make in the long run.

6. There is no need to rush the Ouya. I would rather they wait and get more dev support than rushing it out the door and see incomplete software being rushed to be the "first one in OUYA". Any thing developed for Tegra 3 will run flawlessly on Tegra 4. A strong polished launch library would generate good word of mouth and give the console longer legs.

7. This isnt a retail device with a large marketing campaign, the ouyas market is clearly one that keeps up with tech. It's undeniable that more people will buy the Ouya next year if it features a modern soc with current architecture than a one yr outdated one built on a 7 yr old architecture.

8. Given the amount of press Ouya is getting, Nvidia should be eager to have this be a flagship Tegra 4 device to sell that SoC to more manufacturers. If not there are alternatives out already that blow the Tegra 3 out of the water like the SoC in the Vita or better yet the Exynos 5.

In summary, the Tegra 4 soc costs $21. Even if the Tegra 3s price drops to half that by the end of the year, the Ouya team would be well served in the long term to spend the extra $10 to go with Tegra 4. They could sell the Ouya for $120 after release, and it would still sell really well. It would also stay relevant a lot longer and thus have longer legs (continue to sell well into 2014).

If the only thing standing in the way of all of us getting a Tegra 4 box instead of a Tegra 3 box is an additional $10 per device so around $500k total, I can think of no better way to raise these funds than with another kick starter aimed at current and future Ouya backers.

The Ouya team posts their BOM for the current Ouya vs a Tegra 4 Ouya perhaps with faster or more ram and what it takes to make up the difference as well as how much it may delay the device. They put up the kick starter, if it doesn't get funded, they ship the Tegra 3 build and all the backers of this new kickstarter get a refund, if it gets funded, they ship the Tegra 4 build to all their backers. They also raise the preorder price. That way they let their backers decide what they want and fund the improvement as wel
l.

A ton of interest in Tegra 4 over at the Ouya comments page by the backers. These people funded them, I think they should at least consider what they have to say

You already said that. But there isn't a ton of interest, what there is is a (very) few people that you drummed up to post a lot, even telling them exactly what to say.

Tobor

You already said that. But there isn't a ton of interest, what there is is a (very) few people that you drummed up to post a lot, even telling them exactly what to say.

Yeah, I just checked, it's the same 10 backers arguing back and forth. Lol.

I wonder what name Colbert is posting under over there?

The comment section is a cross section of their funders and what they want. Enough of them want it that the Ouya team should look into it. They actually backed the project unlike most of the negative nannies here.

Tegra 4 is a SoC. He's right too, consumers probsbly won't respond well to Xbox graphics even if they do come at 1080p.

Are these the original Xbox graphics that you think customers won't respond well to?

tegra3-shadowgun-android-game.jpg

HeroesCall_01-580x327.jpg

8672Demons-Score_ss02.png

Dead-Trigger.jpg

bladeslinger-tegra.jpg

RipTideGP_DD_03152012.PNG

Screenshot_2012-05-15-14-48-57.jpg

Add more enemies, some friendlies, environmental objects and something other than small cooridors and a decent framerate and you will see those bullshots deteriorate fast

Shadowgun is about as open as most modern shooters, well ok maybe not that much but they all follow that similar design unless it's something like borderlands open world big.

For $99/$109 the ouya has enough power to play some of the most modern android games out there, I think that's a real good deal for the price and to have it on your tv, I use hdmi out on my ipad often just because I like to see my games play on a large screen, of course some games control better then others doing so.

salromano

Hey, guys. So I'm terrible with hardware specs. Can someone explain to me the key differences between Tegra 3 and 4? And how easy / difficult and cheap / expensive it would be for Boxer8 to instead use in the console?

Thanks! ;D

Amagon

The comment section is a cross section of their funders and what they want. Enough of them want it that the Ouya team should look into it. They actually backed the project unlike most of the negative nannies here.
31gEU.gif

This topic is getting old already. Why don't you and your other funders start a online survey and post it to the Ouya team when it's done.

Hey, guys. So I'm terrible with hardware specs. Can someone explain to me the key differences between Tegra 3 and 4? And how easy / difficult and cheap / expensive it would be for Boxer8 to instead use in the console?

Thanks! ;D

They are both full SoCs. One can be swapped in place of the other with minimal work.

Tegra 4 is a MASSIVE leap over Tegra 3. Tegra 3 is based on a 7 yr old architecture, Tegra 4 is based on their newest Kepler architecture. It supports DirectX 11+, OpenGL 4.X, and PhysX. And it packs the cutting edge a15 CPU that arm has been working on since 2009 and won't be topped for 3 yrs at least. Tegra 5 likewise isn't due out till end of 2014. So Tegra 4 wont be truly topped for a long while.

Tons of people would, even at $120 a pop. However if it launches in march next year with Tegra 3 when every other device is shipping with a15 based SoCs like the Tegra 4, it could fail to take off.

Why could it fail to take off? What does a $600 phone or tablet (the most likely item to ship with a top-of-the-line graphics chip when it is completely brand new) have to do with the $99 Ouya, a game console targeted at mainstream gamers? Now, if it were to break the $99 barrier at launch, THAT would definitely cause sales to drop, because that's a BIG barrier in mainstream consumers' minds.

I emailed them with support for a Tegra 4 model.

I might of made a mistake saying that I'd even pay more for a Tegra 4 model all it did was improve resolutions and frames rates over the Tegra 3 models. >.> I did say that it'd be in there best interest to include Tegra 4 from the beginning in all consoles.

Still I only care about HD 2D games, which have the greatest chance of appearing on this console, but I think it'd be a shame not to include Tegra 4.

salromano

I shot 'em an e-mail about Tegra 4, too. Heck, why not? Better hardware for the same price makes sense to me. (Thanks for the reply, Colbert.)

Also, sent them a few CSS modification suggestions for their site. (Well, I sent them a new CSS file.) You know, to make it look more presentable. Here's how it would look if they use my changes:

Sexy Ouya Site said:

Compared to the current:

Ugly Ouya Site said:

Their padding for everything is essentially over-bloated. Except "Our Story," where it's under-bloated.

Thanks for emailing them about Tegra 4 guys. If enough people email, they'll at least look into it. :)

I shot 'em an e-mail about Tegra 4, too. Heck, why not? Better hardware for the same price makes sense to me. (Thanks for the reply, Colbert.)

Also, sent them a few CSS modification suggestions for their site. (Well, I sent them a new CSS file.) You know, to make it look more presentable. Here's how it would look if they use my changes:

Compared to the current:

Their padding for everything is essentially over-bloated. Except "Our Story," where it's under-bloated.

Site looks much better. Awesome work

tino

Banned
Am I reading right or somebody just said the Tegra 4 will cost the same as Tegra 3?

Do people not remember Motorola Atrix had the Trgea 2 a few months before other dualcore phone show up? How would Ouya team even order enough soc to get on nVidia's list?

To this day even Sony (and MS) are not "cool" enough to get Qualcomm's S4 soc. Sony has to put S3 in its Xperia Ion and MS has to switch to Tegra for its ARM tablet becuase Qualcomm didn't consider they are premium enough client to buy the S4 soc.

And when the Tegra 4 is available, how many smartphone vendors will get earlier dip to order the T4 before a no-name low volume startup have a chance put in their order? Use your common sense people.

Nvidia is pushing mobile gaming big time. The ouya has a lot of hype and press and developers behind it. It's in their interest to get a flagship Tegra 4 box to push game developers to code specifically for it and push phone manufacturers to adopt it. iOS is currently dominating smartphone and tablet gaming and Nvidia would like nothing more than to get that kind of development around their SoC.

They can easily allocate 60,000 SoCs for the Ouya. Getting 60,000 manufactured is nothing for Nvidia, they manufacture much higher volumes than that.

Nvidia is pushing mobile gaming big time. The ouya has a lot of hype and press and developers behind it. It's in their interest to get a flagship Tegra 4 box to push game developers to code specifically for it and push phone manufacturers to adopt it. iOS is currently dominating smartphone and tablet gaming and Nvidia would like nothing more than to get that kind of development around their SoC.
Then nVidia will stay away from Ouya, because Ouya isn't mobile gaming. Its whole point is to move away from Mobile gaming.

They can easily allocate 60,000 SoCs for the Ouya. Getting 60,000 manufactured is nothing for Nvidia, they manufacture much higher volumes than that.

Uh, 60,000? So you think the Ouya is going to be the flop of the decade, and never sell a single unit, only shipping to people who made Kickstarter pledges? Remember, Ouya's goal is to be a mainstream gaming device, and with a $99, OnLive, indie games, and free demos, chances are they'll do pretty good. For that they'll need literally millions of SOC's, and that's just assuming they'll come in 4th after Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony.

Then nVidia will stay away from Ouya, because Ouya isn't mobile gaming. Its whole point is to move away from Mobile gaming.

Uh, 60,000? So you think the Ouya is going to be the flop of the decade, and never sell a single unit, only shipping to people who made Kickstarter pledges? Remember, Ouya's goal is to be a mainstream gaming device, and with a $99, OnLive, indie games, and free demos, chances are they'll do pretty good. For that they'll need literally millions of SOC's, and that's just assuming they'll come in 4th after Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony.

How much did the PSV sell day one in the US and Europe markets? Is 60k really a bad start? This isn't a console that requires huge development time or the backing to create AAA Xbox360 and PS3 games. 100,000 units day one would be fine. Why kill themselves making a million units, when they can easily get more later.

mAcOdIn

How much did the PSV sell day one in the US and Europe markets? Is 60k really a bad start? This isn't a console that requires huge development time or the backing to create AAA Xbox360 and PS3 games. 100,000 units day one would be fine. Why kill themselves making a million units, when they can easily get more later.
Well, can they though? I mean, I don't know everyone backing this company but I'm pretty sure they don't have the pockets of Sony or Microsoft, hell does Sony have the pockets of Sony? They have employees to maintain, they'll have systems to order and store and they're going to need to start a brand new online store. I imagine that they can't and aren't just taking everything from the Android Market and slapping their name on it and calling it a day so they're going to have a much smaller catalog of games from what's already a relatively pitiful selection of games with a handful of new ones, without being a big name that can really pull for exclusives from big publishers, sold to an audience that likely already owns many of the big hitters from the Android store anyways, selling at fairly cheaper prices than your traditional Vita game with them taking a small cut from each. I imagine that they'd need everything to be profitable at the start for this to be a successful endeavor, that'd mean them not taking a loss on hardware, not having an extremely slow adoption rate and sell through of inventory and having decent sales of games early on to bring in consistent revenue. I doubt they can just languish for a year like you see Sony doing with their handhelds.

Well, can they though? I mean, I don't know everyone backing this company but I'm pretty sure they don't have the pockets of Sony or Microsoft, hell does Sony have the pockets of Sony? They have employees to maintain, they'll have inventory to systems to order and store and they're going to need to start a brand new online store. I imagine that they can't and aren't just taking everything from the Android Market and slapping their name on it and calling it a day so they're going to have a much smaller catalog of games from what's already a relatively pitiful selection of games with a handful of new ones, without being a big name that can really pull for exclusives from big publishers, sold to an audience that likely already owns many of the big hitters from the Android store anyways, selling at fairly cheaper prices than your traditional Vita game with them taking a small cut from each. I imagine that they'd need everything to be profitable at the start for this to be a successful endeavor, that'd mean them not taking a loss on hardware, not having an extremely slow adoption rate and sell through of inventory and having decent sales of games early on to bring in consistent revenue. I doubt they can just languish for a year like you see Sony doing with their handhelds.

I don't think we are at a point to really have a handle of there true intentions, how they are going to market it, how they are planning on distributing it, etc. We have no idea what developers expectations are to be considered successful. Until we get something to go off of, it seems pointless to predict.

mAcOdIn

I don't think we are at a point to really have a handle of there true intentions, how they are going to market it, how they are planning on distributing it, etc. We have no idea what developers expectations are to be considered successful. Until we get something to go off of, it seems pointless to predict.
Basically, this is an android box that's essentially running a custom interface that directs to their own store in which they take a 30% cut from each sale. Their own store is their own store meaning that the majority of their initial content is going to be ports of Android games where they've made new negotiations with those developers to get those games on the Ouya. This initially is going to put the Ouya in a very weird situation where, despite everything they may say, you will be essentially be buying phone and tablet games and playing them on your TV with a controller. Many of the backers of this project, and many of the first adopters, will likely already own most of the popular games already having already bought them on the Google Play Store or whatever the fuck they call themselves these days. So, will many of these first time buyers buy these games again on the Ouya? And a better question is would they even need to? They've publicly stated that the box will be hackable, rootable, what have you, so what'll be stopping these people from eventually getting the Android Market running on a custom mod and just playing those games that way? Remember the Xperia Play? Sony got controller APIs put into stock Android for that kind of shit so you can imagine that a good many games that aren't specifically touch screen centric already support a controller so it's not like that will be a problem. Now, I'm going to leave out piracy because it's useless to worry about a foregone conclusion but you're going to essentially have a system where many of its launch games will be playable on the system already for free because their users already own them and will just root it and get them running. You have to figure a good portion of their backers are the more tech savvy type and hence more likely to, at least at the start until the ball gets rolling, take that route if it really is available to them, and hence the initial revenue from those people will be little more than what they paid for the system, at least at the start. You're also going to have a good deal of people just using it as a streaming media device, it can run XBMC and stuff like that, some of those people may never buy a thing from the store. We already know the price range of android games do you think they'll really go with a super cheap system and then somehow try and charge 40 bucks per game or some shit and see if people buy that version and just play it on the Ouya as opposed to just rooting it and downloading the Android Market version? So the games will have to be similarly priced because, again, despite what they say these are tablet and phone games on the big screen, a developer may add controller support if the game didn't already use it and maybe an extra level or two or slightly better graphics if it's a version that didn't have a tablet version but ultimately these games will need to be priced similarly to their Android Market counterparts or people just won't buy them, let alone buy them again. So lets say that in the first month all 60 thousand people buy a 10 dollar game, that nets Ouya 3 bucks a sale and ultimately gives them $180,000 for that month. Of course this part is crazy to predict because some people will buy more and some will buy nothing but whatever. 180,000 bucks for that month. I don't know how much Uncle Sam will take but they'll then in turn have to go and pay their employees, pay bandwidth, and all the usual shit associated with running a business. Frankly, I don't think that's a healthy chunk of change. Now, hopefully they aren't selling the boxes at a loss and they also hopefully have a sizable war chest now what with whatever they already had from outside sources combined with their Kickstarter money but to me the logical course of action is to take the safest route which is to do what Nintendo used to do before the 3DS and just make a profit on everything that way no matter how well or poorly you do you're at least making some damn money.

Developer expectations in my opinion are rather irrelevant or at the least they should be. These are going to be games that essentially can be sold on the Android Market at no additional cost for the same terms or are already on the Android Market. It is a no brainer to spend an hour of your day or whatever and submit your preexisting Android app to Ouya to also get it on their market place. It's the same shit. Why wouldn't you? And if you made a game for the Ouya and you're not happy with Ouya's sales just throw it on the Android Play Market. Why wouldn't you? it's not like you have to port it over, it's nothing like bringing a game from the PS3 to the 360, I can't see why it wouldn't be supported nor can I see any real risk that'd be taken by a developer for supporting it. So developer expectations in my opinion just don't matter.

I also think, now that they've announced it, that time is of the essence and that whoever gets there first gets the prize. I'm actually still rather surprised that Sony hasn't already done something similar. Sony pushed for controller apis in Android. Sony has an Android playstation store and they did this long ago. I figured with the Vita they'd have merged it somewhat with the Xperia Play and perhaps would have integrated it on the PS3 already along with having plans to do it on the PS4 but Sony's such a weird company, always trying shit but never actually trying hard. But anyways, I do think this is a whomever gets their first wins scenario and everyone saying they need to wait for Tegra 4 or this and that, I don't think they can really afford to wait any more. The irons now hot, their intentions are out in the open, all it would take to take the sails out of this thing is an AppleTV with a controller or a Google TV with a controller and BAM, Ouya dead.

sakipon

But anyways, I do think this is a whomever gets their first wins scenario and everyone saying they need to wait for Tegra 4 or this and that, I don't think they can really afford to wait any more. The irons now hot, their intentions are out in the open, all it would take to take the sails out of this thing is an AppleTV with a controller or a Google TV with a controller and BAM, Ouya dead.
I'm kind of hoping there would be direct competition from bigger companies. Not a phone with accessories but a simple box like Ouya. Sony, Apple and Google aren't perfect but atleast they're companies I could trust for a preorder.

tino

Banned
Somebody will make an OUYA competitor. Until somebody make one with IR receiver and native PS3 controller support, I am not ready to put in my money.

Hopefully some one big enough like Samsung or Sega will do it. Ideally google should stop the google tv 2.0 nonsense and bundle a controller and Tegra 3 in the google TV 3. This is what everybody want anyway.

Somebody will make an OUYA competitor. Until somebody make one with IR receiver and native PS3 controller support, I am not ready to put in my money.

Hopefully some one big enough like Samsung or Sega will do it. Ideally google should stop the google tv 2.0 nonsense and bundle a controller and Tegra 3 in the google TV 3. This is what everybody want anyway.

If you want an IR reciever, the Ouya has you covered. First off it has a USB port, you could plug one in there. Or if you want the IR built into the box, well Ouya is designed to be easy to take apart and add whatever you want to the box itself. Dunno why you want PS3 controller support when Ouya has a controller, but doesn't Ice Cream Sandwich have native support for it built in? You just need to hook up the controller to USB. If you want wireless support through Bluetooth, there's an app for that, but the only works on rooted devices meaning you wouldn't have access to the Ouya Store.

tino

Banned
If you want an IR reciever, the Ouya has you covered. First off it has a USB port, you could plug one in there. Or if you want the IR built into the box, well Ouya is designed to be easy to take apart and add whatever you want to the box itself. Dunno why you want PS3 controller support when Ouya has a controller, but doesn't Ice Cream Sandwich have native support for it built in? You just need to hook up the controller to USB. If you want wireless support through Bluetooth, there's an app for that, but the only works on rooted devices meaning you wouldn't have access to the Ouya Store.

You idea of adding IR support is laughable. I am not Ben Hack you know.

Currently in order to pair a PS3 controller with an Android device you need to use a Windows machine to pair it (manually inputing bluetooth address). That's too much trouble, I want it support pairing out of the box.

If anyone else here ordered the $699 development package and wants an early start learning how to write games for it, I figured out the closest existing Android hardware to an Ouya: Asus Transformer Pad Infinity. The device has 1GB of Ram, runs Ice Cream Sandwich, has a USB port (though it requires an adapter or the docking station to use), and has an overclocked Tegra 3 T33 running at 1.6Ghz (1.7Ghz in single core mode). Most important, the device's screen resolution is 1920x1200, and can mirror the display on a tv at 1080p through HDMI (micro-HDMI in this case). So with this device you can quickly get it up and running in "Ouya mode" by just plugging it into your tv and plugging in a PS3 controller.

Only problem is it costs $500 (higher than 1080p in a 10.1" touchscreen is rather expensive, as is 32GB onboard storage, and of course it's a brand new device), but it's the closest we can get. The $200 Nexus 7, in comparison, is only 720p, has no HDMI, the Tegra 3 isn't the fast overclocked variety, and runs Jelly Bean (love those OS version names).

Celine

No one in this board should know that.
However we know that in its first two day Vita sold around 350K in Japan.

Nilaul

Dunno it might be possibe to instalL an modified ouya os on to a computer.

The Tegra 4 soc goes into production end of 2012, several months before the Ouya launches. The Tegra 4 soc costs $21, same as the Tegra 3 soc costs.
Interesting. As they Ouya developers said they had been in contact with Nvidia about maximising the Tegra 3 power its odd that Nvidia did not just tell them to use the up and coming Tegra 4 if its really that close to completion and the same price as Tegra 3.

Of course its possible that Nvidia is being an a-hole and using the Ouya as a way to clear out old Tegra 3 stock :/

You know, with all this crap about "Ouya should use Tegra 4", I decided to do some research on the actual Tegra 4 chip. And now I have to ask...why are people pushing this so damn hard, when the chip hasn't been announced yet, nor its specs, nor its cost, nor its release date?? From what I can tell, the most recent information we have on "Tegra 4" (code name Wayne) is an alleged "leaked" roadmap doc that came out in April stating that the (previously rumored) release date for the (previously rumored) chip had been pushed back until Q1 2013 for 10.1" tablets, and all the "specs" it mentioned was a clock speed, the fact that it would use the existing Tegra 3 platform, and that it would use the same "4+1 core" system thar current Tegra 3's use.

I can't even find anything reliable saying that the Tegra 4 will be super powerful compared to Tegra 3 - there's another alleged leak, an internal email from nVidia that says "Today is just the beginning of Kepler. Because of its super energy-efficient architecture, we will extend GPUs into datacenters, to super thin notebooks, to superphones," which leaves some websites to think that the Tegra 4's delay was to switch up their original plans to have the Tegra 4 based on nVidia's Kepler core. That seems to match up with what has been said here about how powerful it is. But that's just speculation, the statement (if true) could mean the Tegra *5* will be based on Kepler, or *6*, or something altogether different.

If the Tegra 4 release were to happen in Q1 2013, as people here are saying, then it should have been officially announced by now, going by the Tegra 3 announcement. But it hasn't been. It's pointless to tell Boxer8 to hold up for Tegra 4, because it may not be that much better, it may be far more expensive, it may not ship until 2014 for all we know.

BTW, Tegra 3 has only been on the market for 6 months.

HyperionX

Interesting. As they Ouya developers said they had been in contact with Nvidia about maximising the Tegra 3 power its odd that Nvidia did not just tell them to use the up and coming Tegra 4 if its really that close to completion and the same price as Tegra 3.

Of course its possible that Nvidia is being an a-hole and using the Ouya as a way to clear out old Tegra 3 stock :/

That wouldn't be a bad idea if you realize boxer8's likely financial situation. They not exactly swimming in money, even with a successful kickstarter project. At $99, they're probably better off with discount Tegra 3s and use the savings to fund something more important, like better games or a better online infrastructure for instance. Spending all their money on better hardware is exactly the same mistake that Microsoft and Sony made with the Xbox 360 and PS3 respectively. The fanboys will be happy, but the company will lose money.

That wouldn't be a bad idea if you realize boxer8's likely financial situation. They not exactly swimming in money, even with a successful kickstarter project. At $99, they're probably better off with discount Tegra 3s and use the savings to fund something more important, like better games or a better online infrastructure for instance. Spending all their money on better hardware is exactly the same mistake that Microsoft and Sony made with the Xbox 360 and PS3 respectively. The fanboys will be happy, but the company will lose money.
I disagree referencing the points Stephen Colbert listed.

1-UP

Banned
Read somewhere that as soon as the OUYA team get the kickstarter money they will have to pay the IRS as kickstarter money is booked as income. True or false?

fenners

Read somewhere that as soon as the OUYA team get the kickstarter money they will have to pay the IRS as kickstarter money is booked as income. True or false?

That's not quite how taxes work in the US. You don't pay taxes immediately on recieving income, generally, and certainly not if you're a business. They'll certainly have to pay taxes on any profit the company books, at the end of the financial year, and will likely prepay quarterly if they think they'll make a profit, but you don't automatically pay taxes on income.

There's been kickstarter campaigns where the people involved have been dumb how they handled the money/registration & paid a bunch of taxes, which is what you've likely heard discussions of.

Top Bottom