• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Polari

"Permissions. Instead of the standard Android behavior where each app has its own custom permissions, we will define a default set of application permissions that will apply to all games."

Don't like this. That means that all apps would technically have permission to access things that you'd only want something web utility in nature to have. You'd have to trust every random developer not to access them if they don't need to.

Though I guess some of the more exploitable permissions wouldn't apply to something that isn't a smartphone.

I think this model makes more sense considering it's a games console.

I think this model makes more sense considering it's a games console.

But most of the permissions will have to still be there (other than stuff about sms, contacts, and other cell phone specific stuff) they will just be usable by every game without them having to tell you. That seems more dangerous than the games having to declare what permissions they need.

If Ouya has as hands off of an approval process as it seems, theres no way they'd check to see if every game was using permissions for malware purposes. So a permissions list visible to the user would be an easier way to see a game using things it doesn't need to.

But most of the permissions will have to still be there (other than stuff about sms, contacts, and other cell phone specific stuff) they will just be usable by every game without them having to tell you. That seems more dangerous than the games having to declare what permissions they need.

If Ouya has as hands off of an approval process as it seems, theres no way they'd check to see if every game was using permissions for malware purposes. So a permissions list visible to the user would be an easier way to see a game using things it doesn't need to.

Ouya doesn't have a hands-off approval process, we already know of a couple requirements they'll be checking for - the game must have some free aspect, and apps can't promote illegal activities.

As for permissions, I don't see the problem. Here are the permissions most likely to be always enabled for all games:

Network Communication – create Bluetooth connection: needed for the controllers
Network Communication – full internet access: needed for in-app-purchases which all games will need, and of course online play
Network communication – view network state, view Wi-Fi state: see above
Your accounts – discover known accounts *maybe*: this only allows checking to see if the user has a Facebook or Google account setup on the device

That's it, the rest of the Android permissions are likely to be always disabled for all apps, because they have to do with cell phone, apps that will be inaccessible (calendar, contacts), multitasking, vibration, camera, GPS, global system settings, things that no game should ever change. This is a good thing, it means apps can't ask for any weird permissions that games would never need. The only "dangerous" thing being allowed here is full internet access, but since the apps can't access any sensitive information to send across the internet, there's not much harm that could be done, and all apps will need it. It also means you won't be bugged about all these permissions every time you download a new game.

Congrats. I can't wait to read some impressions once people start receiving their consoles. From devs and users alike.
I'll post impressions at the end of this month, or maybe really early next month. Of course mine'll be an early dev-only console with a rough early version of its front-end and no Ouya games (except mine!)...

Seik

Banned
Hmmm, the more I hear about this nifty little device the more I'm tempted to pre-order one.

I'll wait to hear a bit more about it. If it can run all the old emulators and N64/PSX properly consider me highly interested. At this size it could be quite a good 'universal' retro console and the controllers are looking descent.

$99...this is just so low, I feel like I need to buy it like something on Steam's sales. Though I'd probably buy an extra controller. :p

MarkusRJR

I'm kinda curious about this. What quality games do they have announced for this thing so far? It's so affordable I might preorder one as long as there's decent support on the way.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm kinda curious about this. What quality games do they have announced for this thing so far? It's so affordable I might preorder one as long as there's decent support on the way.
Why preorder it when you can wait and see?

madfinger seem to be in on it so that's shadowgun and gun trigger, square said FF3 is being worked on, there are a few 2D games (mostly from kickstarter) announced for the thing too but once it's out I presume a lot of android games will be ported over to it, no way gameloft are missing out selling modern combat again for the 7th time :p

dLMN8R

The OUYA team has been vague and non-specific since it was announced. They say that games like Minecraft are "confirmed", but Notch has never made any promises (nor have they mentioned anything beyond the significantly scaled-down existing Android version). They said that everything is "free to play" but have acted like traditional demos that have existed for decades also count as "free to play".

No reason not to wait and see instead of preordering now.

The OUYA team has been vague and non-specific since it was announced. They say that games like Minecraft are "confirmed", but Notch has never made any promises (nor have they mentioned anything beyond the significantly scaled-down existing Android version). They said that everything is "free to play" but have acted like traditional demos that have existed for decades also count as "free to play".

No reason not to wait and see instead of preordering now.

Your problem is, you are mistaken what they said as "all games will be f2p games" when what they really said was "all games will be free to play", meaning you don't have to spend money to download or play any game on the device. Then that game can use in-app-purchasing however the developer wants - pay once to unlock the full game, buy little DLC bits here and there, pay a monthly subscription...whatever.

As for the games, the Ouya team isn't in charge of that, so it makes sense they would be vague and non-specific. They built the device, it's up to developers to announce their games. And many developers (such as myself) feel that announcing a game too early is a bad thing, unless that game happens to be a big AAA game that can count on continued interest.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Giana Sisters announced for the Ouya.

R2RUCDH.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/GianaSisters

foxdvd

I noticed you can preorder the OUYA on amazon now...release date June. I guess things are still on track to release in march for kickstarter? I have always wondered if that release date would get pushed back.

Peagles

I noticed you can preorder the OUYA on amazon now...release date June. I guess things are still on track to release in march for kickstarter? I have always wondered if that release date would get pushed back.

June is for the plebs, March is for kickstarters. They said it's all on track in their latest update.

Sendou

Considering that the OUYA's controller looks like the worst pad since the original Xbox controller I was wondering if could you use your own controllers. I was thinking Wii's Classic Pad or 360 controller. Any luck with those?

Double Fine bringing The Cave and Reds (Double Fine Adventure) to uya. Words With Friends creator also working on something for Ouya.

A Double Fine rep says that Schafer's game, codenamed Reds, will count the Ouya as its only TV console on launch day. That seems to leave it open to come to other consoles after launch. But the rep says the studio currently has no plans for other console releases.
http://kotaku.com/5982318/ouya-will-be-getting-tim-schafers-big-kickstarter-game-other-consoles-wont-ouya-boss-says

I'm starting to regret not pledging enough money to receive the limited edition Ouya console. I did pledge 30$ to get the username. I should have put 60$ more. :(

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm starting to regret not pledging enough money to receive the limited edition Ouya console. I did pledge 30$ to get the username. I should have put 60$ more. :(

Hah, I'm the opposite...starting to regret going for the limited edition...especially since I had to add an extra $30 to get it shipped to Canada.

I went with limited edition and additional controller to the UK. Should be some time next month shouldn't it?

Kinda a miss-sell though given that they showed a light coloured Ouya as the base model, yet the ones on the Amazon site seem a lot darker... might annoy those that went Limited Edition just for a darker colour.

shaowebb

How do folks here feel about the devkit thing that each Ouya is supposed to be for app makers? Any thoughts so far in your development notes on it or is it just a simple port over process to develop specifically with Ouya in mind?

How do folks here feel about the devkit thing that each Ouya is supposed to be for app makers? Any thoughts so far in your development notes on it or is it just a simple port over process to develop specifically with Ouya in mind?
There are two big things an Android or Unity developer has to change if porting a game to the OUYA: the controls and the In-App-Purchase system, both will require changes for a game to work on OUYA (unless you wanted to only give away your game for free I guess and not make money from it, then it wouldn't need IAP). Other than that, it's normal Android, though better because you don't have to worry about your game running on multiple platforms with multiple specs or screen resolutions.

Of course, to make a *good* OUYA game it should be designed for TV use from the start - design it for large 16:9 screens, don't put important information at the edge of the screen due to television overscan, give it a good controller-based control scheme, try to design it for more than 5 minutes per play.

What is the ship date for kickstarter March systems?
March :) They are holding the OUYA launch party at the end of March, so that seems like a good guess (and matches the dev kit release, which was promised to ship in December and shipped December 28).

There are two big things an Android or Unity developer has to change if porting a game to the OUYA: the controls and the In-App-Purchase system, both will require changes for a game to work on OUYA (unless you wanted to only give away your game for free I guess and not make money from it, then it wouldn't need IAP). Other than that, it's normal Android, though better because you don't have to worry about your game running on multiple platforms with multiple specs or screen resolutions.

Of course, to make a *good* OUYA game it should be designed for TV use from the start - design it for large 16:9 screens, don't put important information at the edge of the screen due to television overscan, give it a good controller-based control scheme, try to design it for more than 5 minutes per play.

March :) They are holding the OUYA launch party at the end of March, so that seems like a good guess (and matches the dev kit release, which was promised to ship in December and shipped December 28).

Dream, As an Ouya developer, how has the support been so far? I'm really fascinated with this platform as an avenue for indie devs to get into the living room, and would love to hear more about your experiences thus far.

Benedict

Got a new newsletter from OUYA:

• OUYAs will begin shipping to Kickstarter backers on March 28
  • Tripwire Interactive will release The Ball in march on OUYA + working on exclusive title
  • Kim Swift -- of Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Quantum Conundrum notoriety -- and Airtight Games are developing a brand new, exclusive title for OUYA
  • Chronoblade is coming to OUYA
  • Announced winners of their 10-day game jam called Create
  • We are thrilled to share that Kellee Santiago, co-founder of thatgamecompany (the maker of Journey) and partner at Indie Fund, will be joining us to lead developer relations. We’re calling her OUYA’s DBF (Developer’s Best Friend). In her own words: “OUYA gets it. This is the first console company that really understands how important it is to remove the barriers to development. By freeing up the development process, OUYA is opening up new doors in console gaming.”

Top Bottom