• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

The interface is very Xbox 360 ish minus the ads. Wich is good. What kind of games will this play? Basic Playstore games or 3D games?

How powerful are those specs?
Enough to make it an emulator box up to which platform?

Anything before basic N64 games, so games like Mario 64, but not Perfect Dark.

Then again, if it gains traction, I can see Emus devs to continue to optimize their plugins/emus to the hardware in this.

Any word on if the KS price is reduced compared to when it will go retail? Besides supporting them now, what are the benefits to paying now instead of later at retail? (I see the badge by the nametag thing) but in regards to price, would I save more now up front?

Right now the only advantage they've mentioned is you'll get your Ouya before they reach stores. Which was enough for me, plus supporting them, since I pledged before they reached their goal

Almost 3 million funded now. People are stupid.

lol, I can see the appeal but will not pledge to it.

I can imagine a world where triple A Indie games like the ones seen in the Humble Bundles being released on this, that would make the machine worth it, but as of right now, its a huge gamble.

alphaNoid

Banned
Right now the only advantage they've mentioned is you'll get your Ouya before they reach stores. Which was enough for me, plus supporting them, since I pledged before they reached their goal

I want to pledge but I am a man on a budget so I'll probably just wait it out I suppose.

2MF

Almost 3 million funded now. People are stupid.

Why? Even if OUYA did not get any games for it, just the hardware is already worth it at $100 (for media center purposes for example).

I'm tempted not just to pledge $99 but also to start thinking about developing games for it. I've been tempted to develop for Android but the small screens and touch controls were discouraging me, this solves both...

Why? Even if OUYA did not get any games for it, just the hardware is already worth it at $100 (for media center purposes for example).

I'm tempted not just to pledge $99 but also to start thinking about developing games for it.

Thing is, you could get a way cheaper alternative right now, if all you need is a media center.

Also, I wish you luck on developing Android apps, I couldnt get past the SDK installation hahaha, im spoiled by Microsoft Visual Studio...

Maybe I will have another go at it later :)

Durante

Yeah, I really don't see the "people are stupid" angle with this, even though I personally don't need it.

You get hardware that will still be worth around $50 for the cheapest equivalent KIRF you can find around the release, plus a gamepad that should be worth at least $20. Sou you pay $29 for very nice design, a gamepad-specific interface, their software infrastructure and shipping. Unless it fails to the extent that they can't actually produce them I see no issue.

Thing is, you could get a way cheaper alternative right now, if all you need is a media center.

Yeah, but this is more interesting. Surely the community at the very least will put out a few interesting things and we'll get some emulators and a nice controller (I hope) to use with them.

Yup. Pretty sad.

Why is it any sadder than kickstarting a video game or music artist? It's a tiny bit of money for an interesting little gadget. People pledge money for fucking ipad covers.

This thing will have the same issue that consoles like the Vita has, every year, new phones will be coming out with faster and faster hardware, while this console will be stuck with old tech.

Then again, people arent buying it for the hardware alone but because of the promise of a new open platform.

Yeah, I really don't see the "people are stupid" angle with this, even though I personally don't need it.

You get hardware that will still be worth around $50 for the cheapest equivalent KIRF you can find around the release, plus a gamepad that should be worth at least $20. Sou you pay $29 for very nice design, a gamepad-specific interface, their software infrastructure and shipping. Unless it fails to the extent that they can't actually produce them I see no issue.

Most people already have computers that can emulate up to what they expect. A PC controller is about 30 bucks.

I think people, and myself, are worried that it'll just churn out boring, useless app games.

Durante

This thing will have the same issue that consoles like the Vita has, every year, new phones will be coming out with faster and faster hardware, while this console will be stuck with old tech.
Well yeah, but that's exactly the same thing that happens to high-end consoles with PC hardware.

Most people already have computers that can emulate up to what they expect. A PC controller is about 30 bucks.
I'm one of those people, as I said earlier I don't need it. But there are a ton of people out there who don't have a PC connected to their TV (or even in its vicinity). Or for whom the task of setting up an emulator on Windows, even though it's very simple for us, appears daunting. And $99 for a shiny and nicely designed gadget just really isn't that much money.

2MF

But with this console you can play on the TV and with an actual controller.

I don't think this competes with phones...

I think people, and myself, are worried that it'll just churn out boring, useless app games.

A PC's operating system license (Win 7) is more expensive than this whole thing.

Well yeah, but that's exactly the same thing that happens to high-end consoles with PC hardware.

Not nearly as fast as this will, though. This thing is extremely limiting already, so making a sizable game will take a lot of work-a-rounds to get functioning.

The OUYA will hit that wall really, really hard as soon as it releases.

Edit: You don't need Win 7 to play emulated games. What in the hell made you think that?

ZenaxPure

I think it's funny that Cannabalt is their baseline for games... Sure, it's fun to play for 5 minutes on the toilet, but I can't see myself playing it on an HDTV for long periods of time.

Agreed. Personally I am interested in games more like Shadowgun. Not specifically Shadowgun (though I do enjoy third person shooters) but more specifically games we typically associate with "full fledged" experiences. If the console can keep getting support like that (and specifically bring over games I want to try out but have no desire whatsoever to play with a touch screen) it would be exactly what I am looking for.

Not nearly as fast as this will, though. This thing is extremely limiting already, so making a sizable game will take a lot of work-a-rounds to get functioning.

The OUYA will hit that wall really, really hard as soon as it releases.

Edit: You don't need Win 7 to play emulated games. What in the hell made you think that?

People interested in a machine for emulation alone (not developing but playing games), dont know how to install Linux, let alone fiddling with drivers etc, (yeah i know Ubuntu is easy to install but most people wont bother).

Same reason why people interested in this box for emulation dont realize that they can connect their phones to the TV and play emulators with BT controllers already.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anything before basic N64 games, so games like Mario 64, but not Perfect Dark.

Then again, if it gains traction, I can see Emus devs to continue to optimize their plugins/emus to the hardware in this.

Up to SNES shouldnt be problem, PS1 gen should be difficult I think.

Nintendo 64 / psx maybe

Meh, I'll stick to my Wii then.
What about 100% no frameskipping with sound for Neo-Geo's games like Last Blade 2, Metal Slug 3 and Mark of the Wolves? Or Cave games under MAME?

Then again, people arent buying it for the hardware alone but because of the promise of a new open platform.

I own a Vita also. Fuck. I need to start checking with Gaf before I buy anything.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
People interested in a machine for emulation alone (not developing but playing games), dont know how to install Linux, let alone fiddling with drivers etc, (yeah i know Ubuntu is easy to install but most people wont bother).

Same reason why people interested in this box for emulation dont realize that they can connect their phones to the TV and play emulators with BT controllers already.

Wait what.. I realize that lol, I even own an iCade, but they're hardly perfect mate. Maybe they're good enough for your standards, tho you shouldn't assume so much then

What.

What are you talking about?

You are putting these weird, random happenstances in, when you don't need Linux or updating drivers, or what have you to run SNES games.

Why can't people just go to the emulation websites and download the proper things?

I own a Vita also. Fuck. I need to start checking with Gaf before I buy anything.

Im sure you bought the Vita based on the promise of a healthy library from Sony and co., cant blame you for that, hell, God knows I want a Vita to play Wipeout.

But for normal non hardcore consumers looking in, Vita's graphics will age pretty bad as phones/tablets hardware keeps getting better and better.

Anyway, lets not turn this thread into a Vita vrs phone market thread :)

The pebble ended up over 10 million. I can't see this doing more than ~6. But I could be completely wrong.

I think once they are out of $99 bundles it will be pretty much done making money, which could be by the end of the day if they don't raise it again. I can't imagine they keep raising that number since it has already climbed crazy high from where it started and their twitter has flat out said they can't just make infinite of them.

Im sure you bought the Vita based on the promise of a healthy library from Sony and co., cant blame you for that, hell, God knows I want a Vita to play Wipeout.

But for normal non hardcore consumers looking in, Vita's graphics will age pretty bad as phones/tablets hardware keeps getting better and better.

Anyway, lets not turn this thread into a Vita vrs phone market thread :)

This is something I've thought about as far as PS4 and Xbox Next even. If Ipad keeps improving at the pace it has, it seems pretty realistic to me that by the end of the next generation, Ipad will be more powerful than home consoles. Especially if next gen goes on as long as this one. It'll be interesting to see what happens next gen for sure. I fully expect one of the big three to not survive the next round. Crazy times.

Ehh, can't say I'm really interested in this.

Don't really want to get a console and hook it up to my TV for bitesize gaming experiences, even if free.

PaineReign

Neo Member
So will this get the biggest kickstart ever ?

Maybe, the Pebble Watch got up to 10 million before the end of its kickstarter. (edit: so beaten) I guess it depends on how they handle PR from now until the end of their campaign.

If they have "proof" that developers will actually do stuff with their console (contract indies to make games, basically) I can see more people getting on board. Until then, I am in the detractor group.

Once again, the real winners here are the folks who started Kickstarter.

2MF

I think once they are out of $99 bundles it will be pretty much done making money, which could be by the end of the day if they don't raise it again. I can't imagine they keep raising that number since it has already climbed crazy high from where it started and their twitter has flat out said they can't just make infinite of them.

What?

19655 Backers • Limited Reward (60345 of 80000 remaining)

What.

What are you talking about?

You are putting these weird, random happenstances in, when you don't need Linux or updating drivers, or what have you to run SNES games.

Why can't people just go to the emulation websites and download the proper things?

hehe sorry, I guess I was putting my own experiences into my posts without explaining, anyway, I was mainly talking about someone looking to buy a new piece of hardware that will be connected to their TVs living room.

Thats why i brought the price of a Win 7 license etc, im defending the low price of this little box :)

Derrick01

Banned
A PC's operating system license (Win 7) is more expensive than this whole thing.

And so is the hard drive of a PC, so what? Unless people don't have computers at all then that has nothing to do with anything, they need those parts. Therefore since they already have a PC they can already play old games on emulators. And probably more kinds than what this will be able to run, like a PS2 one and Dolphin for Wii games.

What?

19655 Backers • Limited Reward (60345 of 80000 remaining)

I sometimes read things backwards, or make up my own words for the end of sentences. It's a time saving trick.

EDIT: So if all of those sell by the end, plus what it has already raised, it would be at $8,883,998.

Durante

And so is the hard drive of a PC, so what? Unless people don't have computers at all then that has nothing to do with anything, they need those parts. Therefore since they already have a PC they can already play old games on emulators. And probably more kinds than what this will be able to run, like a PS2 one and Dolphin for Wii games.
Yeah, but how many of them have their computers connected to their TVs?

Grokbu

So, following some posts here. You are able to build a pc that can play 1080P MKVs well, as well as emulate up to PSX (I assume this can?), whilst being as small and (I assume) quiet as the Ouya for less than $99?

I do not ask this in a snarky tone, I am actually curious about this.

So, following some posts here. You are able to build a pc that can play 1080P MKVs well, as well as emulate up to PSX (I assume this can?), whilst being as small and (I assume) quiet as the Ouya for less than $99?

I do not ask this in a snarky tone, I am actually curious about this.

No way. Their main point I believe is that for a little bit more, you could get a lot more. I would expect at least $300 for a full PC to do what this could do. Maybe cheaper if you want to go buy a used laptop or something.

EDIT: Cheapest laptop at best buy is $230, no HDMI out. Cheapest new desktop is $290, also no HDMI, but it has DVI at least so that's simple enough. Don't know where they stand as far as graphics power, other than the bottom. But, I assume any new PC could handle a PSX emulator these days. Could be very wrong there.

Top Bottom