• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Or only downloads ROMs of games they own. Which is also legal AFAIK.

No, that's not really legal at all. Obviously it depends on local laws, I suppose.

Let's not. Android already has a reputation for being piracy heaven, this thread kind of makes it obvious.

It is, and this thing is singing about "hackability" with expandable storage. You're right to be suspicious of it.

Stuart444

Or only downloads ROMs of games they own. Which is also legal AFAIK.

No it isn't but...

Emulators are not illegal. Let's just leave the subject at that...

This ^, anymore discussion might get us completely off the threads actual topic.

Anyway, I wish them success with this Ouya but I am not prepared to back it yet... wouldn't rule out getting one at launch though. The speed at which this went up to 3m though is insane. (kept an eye on it since it was at around 400k)

I don't think $10 mil is out of the question here. It could easily be the highest.

yeah I was going by a conservative estimation. But 10 million really doesn't seem that crazy if they can increase the reward numbers for the $99 tier. I am almost itching to get in on this myself....

Emulators do not equal piracy. The end.

Indeed. But ROM talk and ROM sharing is generally a no-no on this forum. Unless of course you are ripping them from your own personal collection for your own personal use.

pants

There are all sorts of shady emulators on Android.

Where do you get the games from? Where do you think?

Why isn't this thread filled with greyed-out names then?

Because everyone dumps their own ROMs, obviously!
not saying this is the case, but even if 95 out of 100 users decide to use emulation as a piracy avenue, that should not make the topic taboo as it would unfairly impact on the 5 people that actually use it correctly.

The absolute worse thing that I can forsee happening on this thing is that it doesn't get good game support.

Even if that happens I have a media box/emulator box for a TV that currently doesn't have one and I get a cool controller I can muck around with on my PC.

It's an easy $100 to justify.

2MF

No, that's not really legal at all. Obviously it depends on local laws, I suppose.

Why not? Do you have a link to a law which prevents you from downloading a ROM of a game that you already bought? I'm genuinely interested.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Emulators do not equal piracy. The end.

I think the vast, vast majority of people using emulators resort to piracy. There's simply no way around it.
It's shady as fuck.

Why not? Do you have a link to a law which prevents you from downloading a ROM of a game that you already bought? I'm genuinely interested.

I think downloading a ROM of any game is piracy per definition. How is it not?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

No, I don't have a link, but I'm sure you can find something for the US, at least. It's obviously a gray(er) area, but just because you purchased a physical disc/cartridge or digital download of a game does not give you infinite rights to downloading backups of said data on file sharing sites and services run by individuals without the permission of the rights holder.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

It doesn't matter if you "own" the game or not.

"Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet. "

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

Trogdor1123

I dont know about this, I think I will look into it a bit more once its actually out. Would make a fantastic media player i think though.

angelfly

Well this thread had a good run :(

Every single time there's one person who has to equate emulation to piracy and then it's just downhill....

Well this thread had a good run :(

Every single time there's one person who has to equate emulation to piracy and then it's just downhill....

Yep. Everyone should just walk the fuck away from that conversation before names start getting greyed out. Or try making a thread on it. See how that goes.

pants

It doesn't matter if you "own" the game or not.

"Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet. "

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom
Is this a law law or a Nintendo law?

2MF

Back to OUYA, the things are selling at 12 per minute, at this pace they'll be sold out in 3 or 4 days.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Will dolphin work on this thing?

Also, this would make an excellent home arcade system.

No way in hell will Dolphin work on this thing.

I think a lot of people are grossly overestimating the hardware capabilities in this thing when they read things like "quad core" and "Nvidia GPU."

totowhoa

Banned
What will they do with the extra money?

In their update 13 hours ago they said that they are currently busy working on stretch goals -- trying to figure out cost, feasibility, etc. They said they'll try to have the stretch goals up in a "few days". I'm personally waiting on that and more talk in general about the platform before I back it.

Mlatador

Banned
MAN!!!

PLZ add Component or RGB output to this thing.

I WANT TO USE IT ON MY CRT!!!!!!

Also, MAME games are best played on old CRTs!!

Ninja Dom

Is it a big deal that they're going with Ice Cream Sandwich? When Jelly Bean is already making an appearance this month

This system isn't due till next year, ICS will be old news by then.

What will they do with the extra money?

Beach%20House%20Rendezous.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yep. Everyone should just walk the fuck away from that conversation before names start getting greyed out. Or try making a thread on it. See how that goes.

I don't think the conversation was all that strange, seeing as tons of posters in this thread jumped on the device for it being a "emulator box".

I just wasn't familiar enough with the android platform to know how that process works. My suspicions were correct though.

Back to OUYA, the things are selling at 12 per minute, at this pace they'll be sold out in 3 or 4 days.

They'll just increase the number again. They've gone from 5,000 units of the $99 price to 80,000.

And I can't help but feel their stretch goals are going to start at whatever price they're currently at. I can't see a stretch goal happening inbetween the current $950,000-$3,000,000 range. First stretch is probably going to be 3.5 or 4.

tino

Banned
Does this console have bluetooth hardware so I can connect it to my PS3 controller with the sixaxius app?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MAN!!!

PLZ add Component or RGB output to this thing.

I WANT TO USE IT ON MY CRT!!!!!!

Also, MAME games are best played on old CRTs!!

You can make a MAME box on modest 2004ish PC hardware (if not even older). I don't understand why this excites you at all.

Does this console have bluetooth hardware so I can connect it to my PS3 controller with the sixaxius app?

Bluetooth 4.0 LE, in the OP.

Benedict

This feels like the C64 of this console generation. In a good way.

Guess this might be a popular alternative also in developing countries, as well as China, India and other IT-countries on the rise.

Will there be a demo-scene?

dLMN8R

No way in hell will Dolphin work on this thing.

I think a lot of people are grossly overestimating the hardware capabilities in this thing when they read things like "quad core" and "Nvidia GPU."

Yeah, we'll be lucky if N64 emulation works smoothly for all games. Dolphin is a complete non-starter.

People have to remember that emulation is almost entirely about the speed of the CPU, not the GPU. ARM CPUs are still slow as hell. The only reason why Tegra can handle the games and videos it can handle is because of the GPU part of the chip.

angelfly

Is it a big deal that they're going with Ice Cream Sandwich? When Jelly Bean is already making an appearance this month

This system isn't due till next year, ICS will be old news by then.

90% of the additions in 4.1 are phone specific. This device is fine sticking to ICS.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This feels like the C64 of this console generation. In a good way.

Guess this might be a popular alternative also in developing countries, as well as China, India and other IT-countries on the rise.

Will there be a demo-scene?

No it won't be the C64 of this generation, because when the C64 was around, home PCs as they exist now were not a thing.

These days, everyone has an open platform with extremely powerful hardware.

Jasoneyu

I just hope they fulfill the 80k units they count potentially sell in this KS. The only real concern I have for this is the fact that it could possibly never be released. Although these people put their names on the line here so I hope that their reputation at stake will at least some guarantee to deliver a finished product.

pants

I want to hear more about the network functions before I jump on this. Will it be more steam than Wii? That's the deciding factor for me. Oh and doujin community support

totowhoa

Banned
Not to harp on it again, but...4.0 is still piracy heaven. It killed the PSP/Android phones, it'll kill the Ouya.\

Not kill, but be a major strike against it.

It's being discussed to some degree everywhere, even in the comments on the Kickstarter page, so they will definitely have to comment on it at some point. Hopefully sooner

Cartman86

Banned

It has bluetooth, but i'm unsure how integrated with Android it actually is. Could you side load apps. Would it have the Play Store etc.

Blackhead

Redarse
Ouya’s Big Day
Kickstarter said:
Yesterday a video game project called Ouya became the eighth project in Kickstarter history to raise more than a million dollars, and the fastest ever to do so. Ouya hit the total in just over eight hours, shattering the previous record. Here’s how long it took each million-dollar project to cross the threshold:
  1. OUYA — 8 hours and 22 minutes
  2. Double Fine Adventure — 17 hours and 30 minutes
  3. Pebble — 27 hours
  4. Wasteland 2 — 41 hours
  5. Shadowrun Returns — 7 days
  6. The Order of the Stick — 27 days, 5 hours
  7. Amanda Palmer — 27 days, 12 hours
  8. Elevation Dock — 57 days
As you might expect, Ouya also has the biggest single-day total in Kickstarter history. It received more than $2.5 million in pledges from its launch on Tuesday at 8:44am to Wednesday at 8:44am. Here are the ten biggest 24-hour tallies on Kickstarter so far:
  1. OUYA — $2,589,687.77
  2. Double Fine Adventure — $1,064,652.05
  3. Pebble — $863,132.92
  4. Wasteland 2 — $555,407.84
  5. Shadowrun Returns — $378,008.28
  6. Amanda Palmer — $223,348.50
  7. The Icarus Deception — $178,194.00
  8. Elevation Dock — $161,507.00
  9. Penny Arcade Sells Out — $151,221.17
  10. gTar — $138,891.00
Ouya’s big day lead to another Kickstarter record: dollars pledged in a single day. On February 9th Kickstarter saw more than $1 million in pledges in a day for the first time. Until yesterday, Kickstarter's biggest day was on April 12th, when nearly $1.9 million was pledged. The amount pledged yesterday, July 10th? $3,174,820.

So what is Ouya, you ask? Ouya is a game console built on the Android operating system. Its creators pitched it as a platform for independent developers, and it clearly has big potential. In just 24 hours, 20,000 people bought an Ouya console — a product they had never heard of before yesterday. By way of comparison, Microsoft sold 326,000 Xbox 360 consoles in its first week after many millions of marketing dollars.

Congratulations to the Ouya team and their backers on the incredible debut!
:O

By way of comparison, Microsoft sold 326,000 Xbox 360 consoles in its first week after many millions of marketing dollars.

:lol
They're really going in on *dun-dun-daaaaa* traditional consoles.

Let me know when they sell their first million...

By the time this is over they will be multi millionars, damn, thats a lot of people to dissapoint if it fails, im really hope something good comes out of this

At first I thought this was like the junk consoles they sell at CVS...but I just threw down $99 in the hopes that some decent games show up and netflix streaming works.

angelfly

Not to harp on it again, but...4.0 is still piracy heaven. It killed the PSP/Android phones, it'll kill the Ouya.\

Not kill, but be a major strike against it.

I doubt you'll be accessing the games from the Google Play which is the only place that content protection is applicable. From the OUYA's concept UI they'll have their own storefront to purchase things.

Top Bottom