• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

totowhoa

Banned
I'm pretty interested in this. I've been following the back-and-forth for last couple of pages, too. I'm not as interested in this for the bitesized gaming experiences that I play on phone (words with friends, tiny wings, etc). The emulation is neat I guess, but something we've all been able to do for years now on any machine. There have been a lot of interesting mobile games though that just haven't worked well with touch controls + small screen size. There are a lot of interesting games out there that I'd buy for $1 - $10 out there, and I really like that every game will have mandatory free content, even if it's just a demo. Ideally, I'd like to hold off on the funding for a couple of weeks until they start talking about it more since they've already found a niche audience already with the $3 million this thing already has... granted, I'll have to keep an eye out since their rewards are limited.

People interested in a machine for emulation alone (not developing but playing games), dont know how to install Linux, let alone fiddling with drivers etc, (yeah i know Ubuntu is easy to install but most people wont bother).

Same reason why people interested in this box for emulation dont realize that they can connect their phones to the TV and play emulators with BT controllers already.

what about people that realize they can connect their phones but would rather use a standalone box?

Grokbu

No way. Their main point I believe is that for a little bit more, you could get a lot more. I would expect at least $300 for a full PC to do what this could do. Maybe cheaper if you want to go buy a used laptop or something.
Well, that's like triple the price, if all you want to do is supported with the Ouya.

I mean, I've got a pc, but I have to drag it to and from the living room if I want to use it with the living room setup, and I'm not sure if the rest of the household would like to have it standing there. It is also quite loud, so I think the others in my family would rather have something a bit more quiet when watching a movie. So buying something like this would be quite convenient.
Just kicked in for the $99 package to use this as my dedicated Fighting Game stream box via the Twitch TV app.

This would be pretty sweet as well.

low-G

People interested in a machine for emulation alone (not developing but playing games), dont know how to install Linux, let alone fiddling with drivers etc, (yeah i know Ubuntu is easy to install but most people wont bother).

Same reason why people interested in this box for emulation dont realize that they can connect their phones to the TV and play emulators with BT controllers already.

Bzzt wrong. Also phone on TV with BT controllers? Really? lol

I'm thinking box to replace my modded Xbox 1.

I'm not really interested in this since I don't think it will have any games I will care about, but I think this is a pretty good example of something I find interesting about game stuff on Kickstarter. It seems a lot easier to sell people an idealized marketing pitch than an actual finished product with flaws. I guess this way people are buying what they envision the final product to be rather than what it actually ends up being. I am not entirely sure that is a good thing, but people are free to part with their money however they please, of course.

Lothars

Just kicked in for the $99 package to use this as my dedicated Fighting Game stream box via the Twitch TV app.

Tegra3, as listed in the specs section.

That's exactly how I feel about it as well, I don't care about the games or anything like that but I can't resist it for the twitch tv capiablity.

Stat!

I'm actually kinda interested in a device like this. If it get emulators up to N64/PS1, then it sounds quite intriguing. Especially the easy access to the insides.

I'm curious, if they'll release add ons. For example, in a couple years, could I swap the Tegra3 out for the next thing?

For $100, it's cheap enough.

Chili

I have already backed (but that was back when I felt pressured into doing it with only 6,000 consoles supposedly available. A bit sneaky how the amount is always increasing when a limit is approached) but I'm beginning to feel backer's remorse with this. I want more details, it seems like too much of an idea at this point rather than something tangible for me to give $99 to (and yes, I understand that is the point of Kickstarting but I think a little more would have been nice).

I want to see the controller in detail and close-up even if it's only a prototype being tested, I want to know the finer details about what they have planned for their distribution platform, whether there will be encryption for premium apps and games and what online services are in the works to go with it. I want to know about their upgrade plans for future versions of Android. I would not be surprised if Key Lime Pie is out by the time this thing hits and that will already be two versions behind if they are sticking with Ice Cream Sandwich. Moreover, I want to know what the out-of-the-box implementation of Android will be like. Will it have a Kindle-Fire level of customisation?

The biggest question is how do they plan to balance hackability and being an open platform with creating a viable and attractive distribution platform for both consumers and developers.

I know it's early but I think they could have had at least some more information laid out before the Kickstarter rather than screaming 'hey, it's open'. Otherwise I'll just wait for it to come out and pay the $100 once I know that it has the kind of support they are promising. I like the idea though and the potential, I just have doubts that potential will be realised.

They confirmed via a comment that it will stick with 1 gig of RAM (which was to be expected, IMO). I bolded some of the interesting tidbits:

Hey everybody - just wanted to address some of the hardware discussion! Remember we want to pack as much as we can into a tiny package for you, so we're sticking with 1GB RAM out the gate. In regards to storage - remember we've included multiple USB ports. You can slap an external HD in there or even a disk drive. We're still hammering out details, just keep in mind that we have to keep costs low and quality high! And (pssst) we're hearing rumors of Ethernet. :)

El Sloth

Banned
I have already backed (but that was back when I felt pressured into doing it with only 6,000 consoles supposedly available. A bit sneaky how the amount is always increasing when a limit is approached) but I'm beginning to feel backer's remorse with this. I want more details, it seems like too much of an idea at this point rather than something tangible for me to give $99 to (and yes, I understand that is the point of Kickstarting but I think a little more would have been nice).

I want to see the controller in detail and close-up even if it's only a prototype being tested, I want to know the finer details about what they have planned for their distribution platform, whether there will be encryption for premium apps and games and what online services are in the works to go with it. I want to know about their upgrade plans for future versions of Android. I would not be surprised if Key Lime Pie is out by the time this thing hits and that will already be two versions behind if they are sticking with Ice Cream Sandwich. Moreover, I want to know what the out-of-the-box implementation of Android will be like. Will it have a Kindle-Fire level of customisation?

The biggest question is how do they plan to balance hackability and being an open platform with creating a viable and attractive distribution platform for both consumers and developers.

I know it's early but I think they could have had at least some more information laid out before the Kickstarter rather than screaming 'hey, it's open'. Otherwise I'll just wait for it to come out and pay the $100 once I know that it has the kind of support they are promising. I like the idea though and the potential, I just have doubts that potential will be realised.
You can still cancel your pledge you know.

They confirmed via a comment that it will stick with 1 gig of RAM (which was to be expected, IMO). I bolded some of the interesting tidbits:

Hey everybody - just wanted to address some of the hardware discussion! Remember we want to pack as much as we can into a tiny package for you, so we're sticking with 1GB RAM out the gate. In regards to storage - remember we've included multiple USB ports. You can slap an external HD in there or even a disk drive. We're still hammering out details, just keep in mind that we have to keep costs low and quality high! And (pssst) we're hearing rumors of Ethernet. :)

Thank god, streaming 1080p from a local samba server using Wi-Fi isnt gonna work.

I backed it, being wholly optimistic that we'll at least see some decent ports of existing android games and emulation. I'll be stoked if they put N.O.V.A. on it with decent controls, that game was a great Halo Clone.

I'd be interested in developing for it, as long as the SDK isn't crazyballs.

Hoo-doo

Banned
All you people talking about emulation, how exactly do you go about that? Where do you get the games from? Would they even work with the controller?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All you people talking about emulation, how exactly do you go about that? Where do you get the games from? Would they even work with the controller?

There are all sorts of shady emulators on Android.

Where do you get the games from? Where do you think?

Top Bottom