• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason not to like Mei is because she's a vaper

d9d.gif

I'll never forgive the worm who made this

DasFool

I do actually, he's my favorite healer after Mercy but thats not the same. You are still doing the healing directly, I want players to heal themselves as needed with orbs im dropping. I think its a cool mechanic that forces people to not be lazy.

I feel like your idea would be hard to coordinate within a team, but good for public play.

Maybe Torbjorn would be more up your alley? He technically heals for 75 each time he drops an armor pickup.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
b-b-but all the Mei fangirls say that her ice heal/block/berg of bullshit "gives her a disadvantage" and "isn't that good"

It's not "not good". It just has certain disadvantageous angles you can exploit if you approach it critically.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I feel like your idea would be hard to coordinate within a team, but good for public play.

Maybe Torbjorn would be more up your alley? He technically heals for 75 each time he drops an armor pickup.

Also one of my guys lol

Johndoey

Banned
Mei repping her sick vaping rig? Ugh the character is even worse than originally imagined. And she's ignoring Biggie's rules? Just the worst.

Honestly didn't pay much attention to this game until a month or two ago, even before the open beta was announced. Now that I tried it, I'm actually looking forward to it.

And now that it was announced the game will release and the servers go up [as early as] tomorrow, I'm ready.

I will rain justice from above!

On a tight budget and chose UC4 over this. Regret it. Enjoying it enough but it could have waited so I could have been part of this launch hype. I'll be on in a couple of weeks.

Finally got my shipping confirmation from Amazon. Checked UPS just to make sure and both say it'll be here by the end of the day tomorrow, yessss!

marrec

Banned
Hopefully tomorrow goes fast at work... at least servers won't be live while I'm staring at fucking spreadsheets.

Let's break it down:

- She can wall off corridors and entryways with a barrier that has more health than Reinhardt's shield.
- She has a self-heal that makes her impervious to damage. It is better than both Roadhog and Bastion's self-heal AND lasts longer than Zarya's target barrier (you know, the character whose abilities are making barriers). This will also BLOCK enemies' progress on objectives. There is no way to damage this or move it.
- Her freeze takes way too little time to complete. Even dashing around as Tracer, it felt impossible to escape.
- She has both freezing AND sniping capabilities.
- Her ultimate is stronger than most other characters. Not only is it AoE, it freezes AND damages all characters within AND lasts longer than Zarya's.

I like the balance in this game, but Mei is just the stick in the mud who I always found grossly overpowered.

Ok, so first off, from my personal experience Mei's wall isn't all that useful. It can sometimes catch someone out but if you were playing a real damage class you could just kill them rather then isolate them. Just cut out the middle man. The best use for it I've found is to block defender's line of sight when pushing in. But even then it's not all that much better then Reinhard's barrier which can last until it takes 2k damage and can also be shot through by his allies and moved around. In theory it sounds insane but in practice it seems very situational.

Her ice block is probably the most useful part of her kit but even then it's not as useful as you're making it out to be. Comparing it to Zarya is laughable since both her self-projected and ally-projected barrier don't prevent them from dealing damage. It's a very good ability but at the end of the day when the ice thaws you're still playing Mei, one of the worst characters in the game. (More on why later)

Her long-range damage is a joke and pales in comparison to anyone that has a weapon that can shoot far. Even Lucio's poke is more threatening. 4 headshots with Lucio's sound blaster deals 128 damage. Mei's max range icicle headshot deals 44. If it was before they gave the gun horrific damage dropoff I would potentially agree with you but now her ranged poke is a joke. There's nothing that she can dish out at range that can't be quickly healed up by a Mercy. (One of her biggest counters, for reasons I will explain) Not to mention it's very inconsistent given that it's a projectile and not hitscan, making it a lot harder to hit with at longer ranges.

Now on to why she's bad. What's supposed to be her biggest strength? 1v1ing? Well here's the problem with that: Assuming the enemy team isn't just 6 players running around like chickens with their heads cut off, the only characters you'll be usually 1v1ing are roamers like Tracer, Genji, Winston, and Reaper. And pretty much every common roamer in the game either beats her in 1v1s (McCree and Reaper both demolish her provided they play well) or can easily escape her if they see her. (Winston, Tracer, to an extent Genji) She has little kill pressure roaming because there's plenty of people that can beat her and the ones that can't can just run away. And she lacks the explosive power of someone like McCree or Reaper or the mobility and burst of someone like Tracer and Genji. So even if she does get a flank off it's not as powerful as many other characters.

Ok so if she doesn't do that well in 1v1s how is her teamfighting? Not good either. The reality is that her whole kit is entirely focused on picking off one character at a time. Her fast burst combo of freezing into headshot shard deals around 200 damage. Which is good for people that only have 200 hp but anyone that has more then that things become tougher. From there she either has to try to land more ice shards on unfrozen targets to finish them off or go for a refreeze. Neither of those are really desirable. So people that are being healed by a Mercy or are just naturally tanky and have lots of Hp take a fairly long time to kill for her. In an isolated 1v1 this might not matter as much but in a teamfight her low dps can make it fairly difficult to actually kill someone quickly, giving their teammates ample time to force Mei to back off or die. And Zarya is even worse for her since Zarya can just shield the target she's going in on, removing the freeze and making them immune to Mei for 2 seconds, forcing her to start over after the freeze ends. And Mercy's healing stream makes it extremely difficult for Mei to finish the person she's healing off. Try to kill a Reinhardt being healed by Mercy as Mei. It's not possible. And unlike most other pick-based characters, she can't just freely switch between targets thanks to how long her freeze takes to build up, meaning that teams that can protect their teammates from her can easily shut her down.

The nail in the coffin though is that she lacks any real mobility. Sure the ice wall can help her reach some unexpected locations but her lack of movement makes it very difficult for her to close the gap on characters like Mercy or Lucio, who she would really want to kill. Even if she does close the gap, Mercy can Guardian Angel to a farther away ally and Lucio can just alt fire into speed aura away. The things she 's supposed to be good at other people do better and she has far too many gaps in her kit for her to be effective in a coordinated setting.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So I know a bulk of the game is MP and dont bother if you aren't planning on playing any MP, but the OT indicates that there are some 1p "practice"/bot modes? Can this game be played offline at all?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You probably shouldn't attempt to kill a person getting healed by Mercy before Mercy herself as any character though?

Mupod

So I know a bulk of the game is MP and dont bother if you aren't planning on playing any MP, but the OT indicates that there are some 1p "practice"/bot modes? Can this game be played offline at all?

there's co-op bot matches but that's it. And they're boring as hell, I would not recommend this game at all if you want PVE or solo.

The training can most certainly be played by yourself...I would assume that includes offline.

I assume.

GSR

Somehow this game didn't wind up on my radar until after the beta period. It looks interesting, but my GPU's getting up there in age. Is there any way I'll be able to check how the game runs without being stuck with a purchase?

(FWIW, CPU/RAM are well past the requirements and even the recommended - I just don't do a lot of PC gaming these days, so my GPU's still a 4800 series.)

Looks like this got buried. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom