• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I remember watching one match on Seagull's stream and he got saddled with three Mercy mains on his team. It's no wonder people get so tilted in this game especially when that happens and you have to ride out 15 minutes or so to get your loss and a big chunk of SR taken away.

Exactly, the amount of Mercy one-tricks is insane compared to other heroes.

To be fair though, a lot of this is Blizzard's fault in the first place for not punishing one tricks at all, making her extremely easy to play compared to the other heroes, and just in general only having a few healers in the game. God I hope the next hero to be released is a healer lol

Blues1990

If you don't take the role, eventually you'll get a game where two people play that same role. Then what do you do? I mean even Stevo flexes to Zen these days.

You need to learn how to flex by some means. And this isn't just for Support OTP, this is for Tank OTPs and DPS OTPs too.

Too true. Not much I can add, but you're right.

I have zero respect for becca after having her multiple times on my team while she was in a duo with another mercy otp. They took turns playing dps or mercy. If she's going to grief her teammates like that, she deserves all the hate tbh. Bringing your gold rank level dps into a gm game is an instant throw, and they did that knowing what would happen.

Okay, with that information in mind, she deserved that. That ain't cool.

To be fair though, a lot of this is Blizzard's fault in the first place for not punishing one tricks at all, making her extremely easy to play compared to the other heroes, and just in general only having a few healers in the game. God I hope the next hero to be released is a healer lol

As much as I want a new Support Hero, Overwatch still isn't in an ideal place with the class. Players are.not always incentivized to cooperate with or even focus on supports mid-match (at least not in a way that produces results). More often than not, they'll just try to smash everything and expect the likes of Ana or Lucio to clean up afterwards. Then there's the fact that some players (especially newer ones) are simply confused by the likes of Ana, Lucio, Zenyatta, and Symmetra. Their roles aren't as clearly delineated as Mercy's, not to mention pretty much everyone else in the game. There are also smaller issues, like the fact that the 'Play Of The Game' doesn't do a great job of highlighting clutch heal moments, nor can it really capture the ramifications of great sustained Symmetra, Ana, or Zenyatta play. In that respect, Overwatch still feels like a game designed with damage dealers, tanks,
and Mei
in mind first and foremost.

so sr gain will eventually fix itself right? let's say you get off at least 2 big res which was 10 man before.

now with 30s CD per res and it's like 4 minute at the start of the match you could get a possible 8
then after each checkpoint you get some more time. which let's go with 4 more? so that's 12. but then she ults you get a possible 3. and looking at how fast she gets her ult. you could get all those res off. i hope this fixes itself if sr gain compares to old stat lol.

mollipen

Mercy was already the most played hero in the game with one tricks all over the place. Things will settle out when players are done trying out her new kit.

Not in my pathetic skill range, at least from what I've seen. I know nothing of the higher-ranked lands of milk and honey.

Veelk

Banned
A Valkyried Mercy is pretty much impossible to kill on console unless you ult her.

Also, I know they didn't get a buff, but I've lost to like 5 of the last 6 games where the enemy team decided to cancer comp on defense. It's annoying as hell.

yrba1

Been advocating Blizzard to adjust the SR system so that players who've been playing only one hero throughout the season will experience diminishing gains on wins and bigger SR drops on losses. One-trick players don't have a place in masters let alone grandmasters

Not in my pathetic skill range, at least from what I've seen. I know nothing of the higher-ranked lands of milk and honey.

I believe she's the most played hero at every rank on every platform. I don't have the data right in front of me though.

Been advocating Blizzard to adjust the SR system so that players who've been playing only one hero throughout the season will experience diminishing gains on wins and bigger SR drops on losses. One-trick players don't have a place in masters let alone grandmasters

I've thought of exactly the same thing, only problem is I worry that a Master level Genji player would terrorize players in Diamond rank, or other examples along those lines. I think the best thing to do is to throw the performance gains system off a cliff and just do static gains for wins and losses. Basically they should just copy Dota 2 on this lol

I believe she's the most played hero at every rank on every platform. I don't have the data right in front of me though

Okay I just found the latest PC meta report and Mercy is the highest played hero at every rank except Grandmaster, where she is second to Winston.

I imagine Mercy is only played more on console because of how hard it is to play Ana.

I have zero respect for becca after having her multiple times on my team while she was in a duo with another mercy otp. They took turns playing dps or mercy. If she's going to grief her teammates like that, she deserves all the hate tbh. Bringing your gold rank level dps into a gm game is an instant throw, and they did that knowing what would happen.

Plus, when she didn't get Mercy from Moon2, she went Mei. Who she is 1-9 with this season. Doesn't really sound like someone who needs defending, TBH.

I've thought of exactly the same thing, only problem is I worry that a Master level Genji player would terrorize players in Diamond rank, or other examples along those lines. I think the best thing to do is to throw the performance gains system off a cliff and just do static gains for wins and losses. Basically they should just copy Dota 2 on this lol

It still baffles me why they even went with their current system especially with all of their promotion to switch and counter your opponents team comp.

mollipen

I believe she's the most played hero at every rank on every platform. I don't have the data right in front of me though.

I mean, okay, sure, I'm just saying that I've tended to have no problem snagging Mercy most times I play QP/CP and I want to keep it that way.

A Valkyried Mercy is pretty much impossible to kill on console unless you ult her.

I had a FFA DM match yesterday where an Ana kept sleeping me out of Valkyrie when I was flying around. *lol* We had a bit of an unspoken truce going on, so I think she was just doing it to ruin my fun—but I kept wondering how she hit me every time.

Look, I get it Blizzard.

When you can say "I had an excellent game and I'm getting a little more SR for my efforts." it feels good.

But then people realize that's not how SR is being calculated, really, and they get upset cause no one tells them how it actually works.

Then they figure out how to min-max SR gain by trial and error.

I can easily see LH, LW Blue, and Envyus just stomping everyone except for each other. There's a huge gap between them and everyone else listed.

I wonder if Shanghai is any good?

agreed except for envyus.....theres a gap (not huge but still a gap) between envyus and LH/lw blue

Most of those teams don't even have players yet so I wouldn't speak too soon. I'd also include Misfits in that group with how much they are dominating EU Contenders right now.

Lunatic Hai has lost twice this season to teams people thought were much worse. It's going to be better than you think as far as parity goes.

ermmm....no

unless some of these teams get some korean players, doubt we see as much parity as you think.

contenders doesn't have any kor teams. it would be very different.

LH made it to the 16 which is all they care about. they dropped a few adjusting to Doomfist. but they seem to be adapting to it. And again, it's against Kor teams and not Eu or US teams. If they lost 2 games in APEX to Western teams, you'd have a point.

ermmm....no

unless some of these teams get some korean players, doubt we see as much parity as you think.

contenders doesn't have any kor teams. it would be very different.

LH made it to the 16 which is all they care about. they dropped a few adjusting to Doomfist. but they seem to be adapting to it. And again, it's against Kor teams and not Eu or US teams. If they lost 2 games in APEX to Western teams, you'd have a point.

Envyus just made it to the 3rd-4th place match last season, ahead of LW Blue. I won't speak on other teams but Misfits and Envyus absolutely can compete with top Korean teams.

I still think that Seoul should and will be favored going into Season 1, I just think they won't stomp everyone like people assume.

Hot take: Ana broke the game and I don’t think it ever recovered TBH

Beyblade was disgusting TBH.

I really hope the next hero is a super snarky, sarcastic healer who is melee based somehow.

I want to punch the SHIT out of my teammates but have it help them so I don't look like I hate them that much.

randome

Look, I get it Blizzard.

When you can say "I had an excellent game and I'm getting a little more SR for my efforts." it feels good.

But then people realize that's not how SR is being calculated, really, and they get upset cause no one tells them how it actually works.

Then they figure out how to min-max SR gain by trial and error.

That’s frustrating for me too. I was absolutely crushing the other team and got 3 gold medals and got 12 sr.

Chance

Beyblade was disgusting TBH.

I really hope the next hero is a super snarky, sarcastic healer who is melee based somehow.

I want to punch the SHIT out of my teammates but have it help them so I don't look like I hate them that much.

tumblr_ls56fiadG51r298gso1_500.gif

Mfw I pick Mercy and realize Rez isn't keybinded during the middle of the first push. Ended up totally swapping my control scheme with her, L2 for Jump and X to Rez, and Power Boost to R1.

That way I can glide and ascend while aiming downward easily

Pooya

Rez might have been annoying but Mercy wasn't must have on team before, now with this insane tempo, every team needs a Mercy to keep up. I think they fucked up.

antitrop

Rez might have been annoying but Mercy wasn't must have on team before, now with this insane tempo, every team needs a Mercy to keep up. I think they fucked up.

I'm pretty sure Blizzard didn't intend for Mercy to be rez'ing a significantly larger amount of players with a cooldown than she did with her previous Ult.

She'll get nerfed.

Frester

I 100% understand your argument and agree in theory, but that would punish someone like me who plays Zen 95% of the time in comp. I can flex pretty well between him and Tracer, but in low-mid Plat good supports are hard to come by :/

Also what does OTP mean lol

JWiLL

Banned
my flick from right to left is better than going left to right.

Same. I usually aim slightly to the right and flick left for all my shots.

Oddly, for the random, sudden longer range flicks I have better luck going left to right, as that "sweeping out" motion feels more natural with a mouse when covering more mousepad real estate.

JWiLL

Banned
How do I become a Tracer god? Seems like I feed with her more than with Hog

Not to be a dick, but you might not be able to. Playing Tracer at a high level requires playing at a pace that some people just aren't able to adjust to.

Proper blink usage also plays a huge part - I see a lot of lower level Tracers when using my friends account that waste all their blinks right at the start of the engagement, are forced to recall early, then immediately double blink back in. Hard not to feed on a 150hp hero if you're not using the abilities properly.

Assuming you're on PC, make sure you're playing at a sensitivity when you can do a 180 in a comfortable sweeping motion, then keep practicing to create the muscle memory. I'd also recommend using shift for blink and mapping Pulse Bomb to mouse 2 (Effect does this). Makes it easier to quickly and accurately land.

Tracer has much better range than many give her credit for too. You can't 1 clip from mid range, but you can do good chip damage and build ult charge. Also keep in mind you can blink mid clip - firing the first half then blinking directly at people to finish the clip surprises most and is effective. Then you can immediately disengage or blink through them while reloading.

Really though, you just have to keep playing her - a lot.

(source: am high master/low gm level Tracer)

Veelk

Banned
I spent the last 3 weeks learning to use L3 to rocket boost because I thought it'd be a better control scheme for D.Va's new ability.

Nope. Micromissiles to L3 and Rocket Boosters to L1 is the way.

Blues1990

BTW, one of my friends is going to play Overwatch (PC) on the free weekend, but he's going to be using an XB1 controller. Can you guys offer suggestions for custom control schemes for the following heroes:

Pharah
Reinhardt
Torbjorn
Sombra
Widowmaker

He's specifically interested with playing the above when we practice in the Player VS. AI mode, as he wants to get comfortable before going into Quick Play.

Veelk

Banned
BTW, one of my friends is going to play Overwatch (PC) on the free weekend, but he's going to be using an XB1 controller. Can you guys offer suggestions for custom control schemes for the following heroes:

Pharah
Reinhardt
Torbjorn
Sombra
Widowmaker

He's specifically interested with playing the above when we practice in the Player VS. AI mode, as he wants to get comfortable before going into Quick Play.

I have the jump of every character bound to Left Trigger and most abilities (usually a non-aim dependent one) go to a face button, but I don't know how many people do that.

Pharah: (normal) Jump to LT, Concussion to LB, Jetpack jump to A, Rocket Barrage to RB (you want to aim this one)
Reinhardt: Ultimate to Right Thumbstick. Reinhardt doesn't have a normal melee anyway, and this way he can aim his earth shatter better.
Torbjorn: None of his abilities require huge aim, so you can pretty much do whatever you want with this one. I personally can't stand his weapon switch being on the Dpad though.
Sombra: I have her invisibility on A, and hacking on LB (because she uses her left hand to do it, so it felt visually better), and translocator on RB
Widowmaker: Unless you're binding your jump to LT like I did, I don't think there's anything you need to change here. Finding the right sensitivity settings will help more than anything. But if you are, I have her scope in to LB, hook at RB, and Venom Mine at A.

New Mercy feels like the Hanzo situation. Enemy team Mercy is gliding around picking us off, rezzing like a boss. Our Mercy isn't even healing me on Reinhardt and is dashing into the middle of the enemy to get a rez only to die instantly.

yrba1

I 100% understand your argument and agree in theory, but that would punish someone like me who plays Zen 95% of the time in comp. I can flex pretty well between him and Tracer, but in low-mid Plat good supports are hard to come by :/

Also what does OTP mean lol

One way to mitigate the issue you're pointing out is factoring k/d ratio when flexing to a another hero, basically nullifying it in terms of impact on a favorable SR gain and giving players the penalty for one-tricking.

EDIT: OTP means one true pairing, gets a fandom riled up about shipping (high-key recommend staying away from)
EDIT2: Wrong definition LOL, it's one trick pony

Envyus just made it to the 3rd-4th place match last season, ahead of LW Blue. I won't speak on other teams but Misfits and Envyus absolutely can compete with top Korean teams.

I still think that Seoul should and will be favored going into Season 1, I just think they won't stomp everyone like people assume.

I'm not going to give misfits any credit of being up there with korean teams till I see them face korean teams. (They weren't so hot in Apex season 2....that's a long time ago but still).

theres still a Gap between Envyus and the best Korean teams.
They got Manhandled in season 3 by Kongdoo and Afreeca....and would have gotton the business from LH. It wasn't even close. There's a gap between Envyus and the best teams in Korea.

LW blue finished right under them and Envyus didn't face LW blue in the group stages. LW blue had to go through Kongdoo AND LH. which they obviously couldn't.

I can't stay alive as Mercy anymore, my playstyle was wayyyyy more reliant on her invincibility than I realized lol.

At least I have my trusty Zarya to destory all these Junkrats.

HiiiLife

I can't stay alive as Mercy anymore, my playstyle was wayyyyy more reliant on her invincibility than I realized lol.

At least I have my trusty Zarya to destory all these Junkrats.

How I feel. Thought I was gonna be going hammers with this patch but I guess my campy playstyle with her previously just doesn't mesh with the new update.

After one match, I have a feeling that the most frustrating Mercies are going to be the ones who use Valkyrie and then do nothing but shoot instead of trying to group heal.

I'm not going to give misfits any credit of being up there with korean teams till I see them face korean teams.

theres still a Gap between Envyus and the best Korean teams.
They got Manhandled in season 3 by Kongdoo and Afreeca....and would have gotton the business from LH. It wasn't even close. There's a gap between Envyus and the best teams in Korea.

LW blue finished right under them and Envyus didn't face LW blue in the group stages. LW blue had to go through Kongdoo AND LH. which they obviously couldn't.

- It's fair to not trust Misfits yet. They just pass the eye test for me along with their domination of Contenders.

- I think Envyus was destroyed by their loving conditions in Korea and they were so burnt out that they weren't even trying by the end of that match. It's possible AFB was better at the time, but I don't really put any stock into that match.

- How many teams are better than Envyus right now? Lunatic Hai is going through a bit of a rough patch. AFB fell off a cliff. LW Blue has a couple new players and needs to shift roles around. The only team I would comfortably say would win is Kongdoo Panthera, and I don't even think that is a guarantee.

antitrop

After one match, I have a feeling that the most frustrating Mercies are going to be the ones who use Valkyrie and then do nothing but shoot instead of trying to group heal.

I can't possibly understand how someone would look at the patch notes and come to the conclusion that the pistol is the best use of her Ult, I can only blame the viral clips of Mercy being Nano'd before they nerfed her pistol on PTR.

so Mercy's res only give you partial HP? that or the other team decided to focus the person i res lol.
also i'm glad her ult charge quick. gives the team a fun fight and that i can just fly around lol.

and i still need to remember she has a res button now.

also i literally didn't do anything but heal last game. only did got 2 people res the total.

48% of the time i was mercy, the rest was Ana.

Blues1990

I have the jump of every character bound to Left Trigger and most abilities (usually a non-aim dependent one) go to a face button, but I don't know how many people do that.

Pharah: (normal) Jump to LT, Concussion to LB, Jetpack jump to A, Rocket Barrage to RB (you want to aim this one)
Reinhardt: Ultimate to Right Thumbstick. Reinhardt doesn't have a normal melee anyway, and this way he can aim his earth shatter better.
Torbjorn: None of his abilities require huge aim, so you can pretty much do whatever you want with this one. I personally can't stand his weapon switch being on the Dpad though.
Sombra: I have her invisibility on A, and hacking on LB (because she uses her left hand to do it, so it felt visually better), and translocator on RB
Widowmaker: Unless you're binding your jump to LT like I did, I don't think there's anything you need to change here. Finding the right sensitivity settings will help more than anything. But if you are, I have her scope in to LB, hook at RB, and Venom Mine at A.

Ah, thank you for the suggestion. I'll let him know when we play this weekend. :>

- It's fair to not trust Misfits yet. They just pass the eye test for me along with their domination of Contenders.

- I think Envyus was destroyed by their loving conditions in Korea and they were so burnt out that they weren't even trying by the end of that match. It's possible AFB was better at the time, but I don't really put any stock into that match.

- How many teams are better than Envyus right now? Lunatic Hai is going through a bit of a rough patch. AFB fell off a cliff. LW Blue has a couple new players and needs to shift roles around. The only team I would comfortably say would win is Kongdoo Panthera, and I don't even think that is a guarantee.

Teams that look dominant against one set of teams can look tottally different against another set.

LH isn't really going through a rough patch. They are fine. Their Best player didn't even play the last series for whatever reason.

Can't say much on LW Blue since they sat out of Season 4 APEX.

I'm not going to let envyus have those excuses, every pro is burnt out on overwatch most likely.

Top Bottom