• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I've only been playing for a couple of months now, but in terms of exposure to toxicity for me it goes Comp > Quick Play > the rest of Arcade > Mystery Heroes > Player vs AI. Makes me wish they'd add more to that last one, if not new modes then programming new AI characters into the rotation for more variety.

People who play comp are the worst.

EDIT: I forgot Lucio Ball during the Summer Games event; that one's probably up there between Comp and QP. Ran into some real @$$hats playing that mode: people who run up the score and tag the ground in front of you, people typing "too easy" over and over again, people getting mad at losing and rage-quitting but not before spewing forth a tirade of foul language, etc.

Blues1990

On the topic of Halloween, I hope they manage to make the menu variant music sound a little less grating this time around. I know that sounds really silly, but the other event exclusive music didn't seem quite as overbearing.

You're talking about the grand organ rendition of the Overwatch theme that's used for the Halloween event, right? I can see how it can sound irritating, but I have a soft spot for the instrument.

.... I must've been a vampire in a past life.

Pooya

so if you have every regular purple and orange does that mean all of your new purple and orange items are going to be event items? I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy the regular items first.

TrueBlue

You're talking about the grand organ rendition of the Overwatch theme that's used for the Halloween event, right?

Aye, that's it. It fits perfectly for the Halloween theme of course, but did get a little tiring after a while. I think it's more down to the istrument itself more than anything.

There was an organ in the teaser clip, so I imagine it's returning. It's a small quirk that is easily remedied by pressing a buttton anyway. I guess I just kinda like listening to the menu music sometimes - Winter Wonderland and Year of the Rooster had pleasant themes.

Danj

so if you have every regular purple and orange does that mean all of your new purple and orange items are going to be event items? I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy the regular items first.

Dupes are still possible, just way less common than they used to be.

Lynchian

I never bothered to post about this... But I play NA consistently. Was playing from release, got into competitive round season 2 I've been in Bronze, Silver and now I am in high Gold.

I could be just lucky but I am now reaching lv. 500 and I feel like OW is not really that toxic.
I've had like bad cases of griefing / sexism / racism / toxicity in MAYBE 5-10% of my matches.

I feel it's like a meme now and the reactions are way out of proportion to the actual problem.

Don't get me wrong. It's there, but when I play like 20 games a day and I get like 3 bad games I don't think it's that bad, and frankly unavoidable.

pizzacat

Banned
I never bothered to post about this... But I play NA consistently. Was playing from release, got into competitive round season 2 I've been in Bronze, Silver and now I am in high Gold.

I could be just lucky but I am now reaching lv. 500 and I feel like OW is not really that toxic.
I've had like bad cases of griefing / sexism / racism / toxicity in MAYBE 5-10% of my matches.

I feel it's like a meme now and the reactions are way out of proportion to the actual problem.

Don't get me wrong. It's there, but when I play like 20 games a day and I get like 3 bad games I don't think it's that bad, and frankly unavoidable.

things get more toxic as you rank up more

once the ow team tells masters that they are like part of the 5% at the top or whatever egos get boosted and terrible people start saying terrible shit because thats what happens when they feel angry

Blues1990

Aye, that's it. It fits perfectly for the Halloween theme of course, but did get a little tiring after a while. I think it's more down to the istrument itself more than anything.

There was an organ in the teaser clip, so I imagine it's returning. It's a small quirk that is easily remedied by pressing a buttton anyway. I guess I just kinda like listening to the menu music sometimes - Winter Wonderland and Year of the Rooster had pleasant themes.

I definitely agree with the Winter Wonderland rendition of the Overwatch theme. Very pleasant to the ears, & it warms my heart when it played during the event. For me, the Christmas event had my favourite selection of skins, and I genuinely love the holiday as a whole.

As far as ranking is concerned:

Winter Wonderland>Uprising>Halloween Terror>Lunar New Year>Summer Games>Anniversary

Nepenthe

things get more toxic as you rank up more

once the ow team tells masters that they are like part of the 5% at the top or whatever egos get boosted and terrible people start saying terrible shit because thats what happens when they feel angry

I figure this is where most of it is coming from. Last time I ranked was low gold, but I'd say about 98% of my matches across all modes I played were pleasant both in terms of team/voice chat and actual player behavior. I get the odd thrower or racial slur once in a blue moon. Overall I'm having a grand old time despite my support bitching in here every now and again.

Maybe some of you guys should join us plebs in the lower ranks.

Prelude.

I had someone in QP at 3600 telling the team that who has the lowest rank should play support, because "that's how we do it in high level comp".

Personally, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be allowed to play comp unless you are level 100 or something.

I know it's really steep, but I think a lot of problems come from smurfs and alt accounts. I can't count the number of times I've heard, "Whatever, I'm not even trying, this isn't even my main."

Like, discourage people from making alts so easily, and maybe they'll give a damn about their actual matches.

----------------------------

In other news.... it happened.

TrueBlue

I definitely agree with the Winter Wonderland rendition of the Overwatch theme. Very pleasant to the ears, & it warms my heart when it played during the event. For me, the Christmas event had my favourite selection of skins, and I genuinely love the holiday as a whole.

As far as ranking is concerned:

Winter Wonderland>Uprising>Halloween Terror>Lunar New Year>Summer Games>Anniversary

Heh, screw toxicity, it's menu music ranking time!

Winter Wonderland
Year of the Rooster
Uprising
Summer Games 2017 (2016 was the regular theme with samba (?) instruments IIRC)
Anniversary
Halloween Terror

All good though!

Prelude.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be allowed to play comp unless you are level 100 or something.

I know it's really steep, but I think a lot of problems come from smurfs and alt accounts. I can't count the number of times I've heard, "Whatever, I'm not even trying, this isn't even my main."

Like, discourage people from making alts so easily, and maybe they'll give a damn about their actual matches.
People say that on accounts with hundreds of levels, it's just an excuse. But yeah, it'd help.
100 might be too much but 25, considering the first levels are so quick, is nothing.

LiK

----------------------------

In other news.... it happened.

Yep, getting into Comp should require hours of QP at least so you have experience with the game. Maybe lvl 50 at least.

Sygma

It gets wild in "high" plat up until GM

Its pretty much a douchebag contest followed by god complex. I reached 4200 ish and pretty much stopped competitive altogether, even tho the matches were of much higher quality, too few of them actually were enjoyable to play which is you know, the base in a game I think

People say that on accounts with hundreds of levels, it's just an excuse. But yeah, it'd help.
100 might be too much but 25, considering the first levels are so quick, is nothing.

It would also makes bans weigh more on the player, since leveling up an alt to play comp while you banned for a week wouldn't really be an option.

Whaaat every hero?

Mg8bb4s.jpg

:D

If there is one thing I hope for is that the halloween event continues with some sort of cinematic sequence.

I want the halloween photobomb meta to continue

Talonz

I agree. Player toxicity is a problem in every online-enabled game with open chat functionality, & the development team/Blizzard should have seen this coming and have a better plan for it during the games development.

Thankfully, as far as the PC community is concerned, PUBG now exists. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume that a very large chunk of those
rather
toxic players have migrated over to that shooter.

Bluehole has very strict policies in place for griefing especially killing your teammates. They have zero problems banning accounts. The throwers and such won't last long in that game so most of them will stick to Overwatch because they can do it with near impunity.

Just pay someone minimum wage to sit and play all day, making note of toxic players and the names/offences passed on for instant punishment.

Dozens would be punished per day, and when word spreads how easy to face punishment it would discourage others.

This game gotta be making millions from sales of game alone, nevermind lootboxes. They can afford one minimum wage employee to do this.

It is complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnPT101nx98&list=PLgAgHFZb0avtYjGwuzqEExwxIwLYOFneW&index=14&t=5s

709SFzT.png

So it turns out, this wasn't actually that hard. I'm just an idiot.

See, I play all my characters with a 70 horizontal, 55 vertical sensitivity level. Well, sometime like 6 or 7 months ago when I was trying to practice widow, I took some advice that said to have lower sensitivity as Widow so you can more accurately land headshots. Well, about 3 games before this victory I found this hiccup and moved her back with everyone else. My last three games I was finishing with 17+ kills, and those kills felt much easier. I was relying on the auto rifle much less. I could actually hit stuff mid air again. Suddenly Junkrats and Pharahs were prime targets again.

Would appreciate an upvote on reddit if you guys can spare the time.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/75iuhd/ffa_win_as_every_single_character/

Oh damn, I was wondering why people left in-game matches so suddenly, it seems that the update ended up kicking people. I just got an unexpected server error right after I hit the main menu after completing a match. People were dropping out left, right and center during a competitive game.

This event has the best skins by far not including the original ones.

Patch is about 400MB on PC.

Also so much for the leak, that's not plague doctor Ana.

Top Bottom