• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Anne

Do you blame Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland for Rick and Morty Fans causing physical destruction to several McDonalds franchises this last Saturday?

They don't have control of their fanbase the way a dev has control over a playerbase. The OW team can create rules of how people play, and they can also enforce those rules. The creators of that TV show can maybe like, make a tweet? But they can't enforce jack shit about what people do.

Overwatch basically had no rules about behavior, and what rules they did have weren't enforced by Blizzard. The systems they have in place in the game also contribute heavily to perceptions that end up creating toxic situations. They had so much power to do something about this ages ago, and they chose not to. That is 100% their fault.

The fact that it took three fucking thousand reports for somebody to get a one week ban is the most insane shit I have ever seen.

TrueBlue

They don't have control of their fanbase the way a dev has control over a playerbase. The OW team can create rules of how people play, and they can also enforce those rules. The creators of that TV show can maybe like, make a tweet? But they can't enforce jack shit about what people do.

Overwatch basically had no rules about behavior, and what rules they did have weren't enforced by Blizzard. The systems they have in place in the game also contribute heavily to perceptions that end up creating toxic situations. They had so much power to do something about this ages ago, and they chose not to. That is 100% their fault.

The fact that it took three fucking thousand reports for somebody to get a one week ban is the most insane shit I have ever seen.

I mean, I sympathise with Kaplan and co to some extent. Curating a community such as this must be very difficult, and toxicity is inevitable to some degree. Plus Kaplan himself seems like a decent egg.

But unfortunately, I have to agree that they have to also bear the responsibility for the toxicity that has developed from this game. Fortunately, the game is still very popular - granted, not as popular as it once was, but that's natural - so it's not as if it's a completely hopeless endeavor to fix things properly.

I do hope they address this directly at Blizzcon. I imagine some focused initiative on toxicity would mean just as much to some as some announcements regarding new permanent content. Here's hoping any steps they do take have some positive substantial outcomes.

Azoor

As bad as the toxicity problem is in this game, anecdotally it's still not as bad as MOBAs, maybe because the matches are shorter.

Still no Halloween trailer or leaks?

I won't be able to play the game today or tomorrow. :/

We got plenty of leaks already :p

If it's like summer we'll get a trailer at the same time the event hits. Though there were some images that leaked in that event like 1 or 2 hours before it went live.

Chance

Still no Halloween trailer or leaks?

I won't be able to play the game today or tomorrow. :/

WHO SAID WHAT ABOUT A HALLOWEEN TRACER SKIN?!

I'll be so disppointed if it doesn't happen. I know she's got skins comin' out the gills but I wwwwaaaant iiiiit...

Anne

I mean, I don't blame papa Jeff himself, I'm blaming the dev team in general. They all seem like nice, hard working people, but they fucked up.

If you want to know what can be done about it, again look at what LoL went through. By the end of 2015, it was basically considered the worst place to ever go to play games. Riot then spent 2 years creating and changing system after system in order to work on it. They added role select to cause less pre game fights and create more balanced games. They reworked their entire reporting system. They added a loot system and directly locked punished players out of it. Then they later added a system that rewards good behavior with extra loot and icons.

It's taken basically 2 years and it's still far from making every game a pleasant experience. It is a very difficult and time consuming thing to do, so I can have some sympathy for the Overwatch team. At the same time, there are so many precedents and quite literally the largest multiplayer game ever setting examples. Did they not notice how other games hide all player information in actual matches? Did they not look at the different tools that have been made to deal with this? Did they not even look at Heroes of the Storm's chat system?

I guess they didn't. Their solution was the medal system, which has been one of the most spectacular failures of dealing with toxicity I have ever seen. Again, I don't want to be some disrespectful fuckhead if Blizz ever reads GAF (a lot of devs check in it seems), but what happened? Is there data somewhere or were their hands too full to want to mess with this stuff months ago? Are systems to replace the bad or add things to help being worked on? Like I can get how this happens behind the scenes, but I hope somebody learned a lesson to make this more of a priority next time.

As bad as the toxicity problem is in this game, anecdotally it's still not as bad as MOBAs, maybe because the matches are shorter.

I play LoL and HotS on a regular or semi regular basis. OW is worse than both right now. Dota 2 is still pretty wild when I do check in with it.

Azoor

I mean, I don't blame papa Jeff himself, I'm blaming the dev team in general. They all seem like nice, hard working people, but they fucked up.

If you want to know what can be done about it, again look at what LoL went through. By the end of 2015, it was basically considered the worst place to ever go to play games. Riot then spent 2 years creating and changing system after system in order to work on it. They added role select to cause less pre game fights and create more balanced games. They reworked their entire reporting system. They added a loot system and directly locked punished players out of it. Then they later added a system that rewards good behavior with extra loot and icons.

It's taken basically 2 years and it's still far from making every game a pleasant experience. It is a very difficult and time consuming thing to do, so I can have some sympathy for the Overwatch team. At the same time, there are so many precedents and quite literally the largest multiplayer game ever setting examples. Did they not notice how other games hide all player information in actual matches? Did they not look at the different tools that have been made to deal with this? Did they not even look at Heroes of the Storm's chat system?

I guess they didn't. Their solution was the medal system, which has been one of the most spectacular failures of dealing with toxicity I have ever seen. Again, I don't want to be some disrespectful fuckhead if Blizz ever reads GAF (a lot of devs check in it seems), but what happened? Is there data somewhere or were their hands too full to want to mess with this stuff months ago? Are systems to replace the bad or add things to help being worked on? Like I can get how this happens behind the scenes, but I hope somebody learned a lesson to make this more of a priority next time.

I play LoL and HotS on a regular or semi regular basis. OW is worse than both right now. Dota 2 is still pretty wild when I do check in with it.

Like what I have said in an earlier post, we should not see player information during matches and what heroes they've been playing, people will complain about one tricks and people who main one categories over the others.

IHaveIce

Banned
People who say LoL is less toxic than OW have to be playing in low elo or must have chat disabled.

OW doesn't even get close to be as toxic as LoL

Skii

Do you blame Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland for Rick and Morty Fans causing physical destruction to several McDonalds franchises this last Saturday?

I understand that Jeff Kaplan has a level of power/control over the game, but as far as toxicity goes, this is a gaming culture thing, not an Overwatch thing. Developers can only do so much to fend it off. And it really is a cancer, in that it can't be a battle won against, only a fight you can delay before it eventually overtakes you.

I admit to being a console player, and maybe I don't deal with it as bad as you do, but I'm pretty sure we both have the same tools; we can both leave chat when things are obviously not going to go well.

Look, I'm sorry that you had a group of strangers verbally assault you over the internet. That sucks, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for anyone that ever has to experience that. But taking that anger and just turning it into more toxicity isn't the right answer. I understand that you are hurt and angry, and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

the OW team creates and controls the environment for this game. A TV show does not create or control the environment of real life actions.

Other games have dealt with this problem a lot better from what others have told me. It's clear gross negligence on the part of blizzard. Even now the punishments arent anywhere near enough. They dont even tell you the punishments they give to people reported because its being silenced for 2 days or being banned from competitive for a week. 3000 reports doesnt get you banned for life on this game but apparently smurfing does.

Their priorities are a mess.

People who say LoL is less toxic than OW have to be playing in low elo or must have chat disabled.

OW doesn't even get close to be as toxic as LoL

How can anything be worse than being told to kill yourself periodically every 20-30 seconds?

AbaFadi

Banned
I still think it's funny how people were praising Jeff when he banned that guy for a week after 2000 reports or whatever number it was. Feel like it just shows how much of a joke their reporting system is. It shouldn't take anywhere near 2000 reports for that to happen.

The toxicity present currently in the game is the result of their negligence throughout the past few months. People saw they could get away with being toxic because they knew Blizzard wouldn't do anything about it. It's not Blizzard's direct fault obviously, but they clearly knew about it for a while and chose not to do anything about it. Now you just have a bunch of people that don't care anymore and will be toxic at any moment possible.

IHaveIce

Banned
How can anything be worse than being told to kill yourself periodically every 20-30 seconds?

Getting told the same thing but after the match is over being stalked and almost getting doxxed by someone cause I picked the lane he wanted eventhough I had more experience in it.

LiK

I still think it's funny how people were praising Jeff when he banned that guy for a week after 2000 reports or whatever number it was. Feel like it just shows how much of a joke their reporting system is. It shouldn't take anywhere near 2000 reports for that to happen.

The toxicity present currently in the game is the result of their negligence throughout the past few months. People saw they could get away with being toxic because they knew Blizzard wouldn't do anything about it. It's not Blizzard's direct fault obviously, but they clearly knew about it for a while and chose not to do anything about it. Now you just have a bunch of people that don't care anymore and will be toxic at any moment possible.

Seriously, they need to toughen up on toxic players. Killing their own community.

Chance

This was my response. Use an aimhack? Banned. Forever.

Abuse people vicously over months and months, not stopping despite repeated temp bans and mutes? Welcome back, have you seen the new skins this season?

Skii

Getting told the same thing but after the match is over being stalked and almost getting doxxed by someone cause I picked the lane he wanted eventhough I had more experience in it.

Well that sucks. I've heard that happens in OW as well. I really think people are underestimating how toxic this game gets, especially at the high levels.

Seriously, they need to toughen up on toxic players. Killing their own community.

Most of the masters/GM players on the discord have quit largely because of the toxicity in this game. I genuinely think its worse the higher it gets.

I must point out - I get very, very limited exposure to toxicity on PS4. But even then I'm just plat.

I've been a Top 500 player in seasons past, but I usually float closer to 3000 now because of skill decay, and it's the same for me. Maybe one out of every 15 games has a person being a dick. But either muting them, or leaving chat solves the problem.

exYle

I guess we'll all come back to OW in 2022

Azoor

I have suggestions for this toxicity problems:

1. Don't ever make players look into other people's stats in-game, they're free to do it after the game. And that should apply to every mode, not just competitive.

2. Let the first ban be a week long and not 24 hours, sorry if your connection is bad, but it's not just you that had lost a game, five others players have lost a player and they're in a massive disadvantage. Make sure that you have a stable connection before playing. Yes, accidents happen, this is why the ban should not apply after on match.

3. Have role select, I know they said they don't want to force a meta unto us, but I feel that it's a good compromise for the sake of the community's overall health, maybe even met us que with two roles (tank/dps) or (Suupor/DPS) etc. This will fighting over roles less of a problem.

4. Remove the general chat, it's useless and more often than not people use it to troll.

5. Have a guild/clan system where people get together and play the game, it'll make people more likely to communicate and less likely to be hurtful to one another. Plus, it'll be a great opportunity to meet people of similar mindset in this game which will make the overall atmosphere friendlier.

Guys, I'd like your input on this.

Chance

1. Don't ever make players look into other people's stats in-game, they're free to do it after the game. And that should apply to every mode, not just competitive.

2. Let the first ban be a week long and not 24 hours, sorry if your connection is bad, but it's not just you that had lost a game, five others players have lost a player and they're in a massive disadvantage. Make sure that you have a stable connection before playing. Yes, accidents happen, this is why the ban should not apply after on match.

3. Have role select, I know they said they don't want to force a meta unto us, but I feel that it's a good compromise for the sake of the community's overall health, maybe even met us que with two roles (tank/dps) or (Suupor/DPS) etc. This will fighting over roles less of a problem.

4. Remove the general chat, it's useless and more often than not people use it to troll.

5. Have a guild/clan system where people get together and play the game, it'll make people more likely to communicate and less likely to be hurtful to one another. Plus, it'll be a great opportunity to meet people of similar mindset in this game which will make the overall atmosphere friendlier.

I like all of it but there should be permabans for repeated toxicity. Clans would definitely be a cool addition.

Cappa

Banned
Plenty of toxicity on PS4 as well, it isnt much better than PC. You might not get racist text chats or people on voice chat, but you dont have to verbally abuse someone to be considered toxic.

To say the PS4 OW community isnt toxic is laughable, its probably the biggest problem with OW right now.

Skii

I must point out - I get very, very limited exposure to toxicity on PS4. But even then I'm just plat.

I've been a Top 500 player in seasons past, but I usually float closer to 3000 now because of skill decay, and it's the same for me. Maybe one out of every 15 games has a person being a dick. But either muting them, or leaving chat solves the problem.

Yeah I think there's difference depending on platform and location. I'd say every game I play on PC has some toxicity from either your team or enemy team in match chat or voice chat. Maybe 1/3 are bad enough that people start throwing.

Even yesterday during my session, I had a duo of 2 girls start bullying another girl on my team within the first minute to the point where she just left cancelling the match.

EU toxicity is real and its next level.

1. Ehhhh, people can have over buff up simultaneously anyways. Good suggestion but I kinda like seeing other players time played.

2. This just isn't fair. You can't market a game to everyone everywhere then only make it playable where there is a stable internet. Suspending people because of internet issues will cause them to quit.

3. This isn't happening anytime soon, just not what their vision of this game is.

4. Lol, can't you leave it? (I'm on PS4)

5. This is an awesome idea!

Yeah I think there's difference depending on platform and location. I'd say every game I play on PC has some toxicity from either your team or enemy team in match chat or voice chat. Maybe 1/3 are bad enough that people start throwing.

Even yesterday during my session, I had a duo of 2 girls start bullying another girl on my team within the first minute to the point where she just left cancelling the match.

EU toxicity is real and its next level.

Well, at the very least, we're getting half the toxicity since we have pretty much zero way to communicate with the enemy team.

dawgparty

I love this game but anything other than competitive ends up with a garbage team comp. Not 1 person picks a tank or healer and I can't do both. I don't really wanna only play competitive either because everyone is a screechy asshole most of the time. Kind of sucks that the game itself is so fun but the community of children ruins it for me.

I love this game but anything other than competitive ends up with a garbage team comp. Not 1 person picks a tank or healer and I can't do both. I don't really wanna only play competitive either because everyone is a screechy asshole most of the time. Kind of sucks that the game itself is so fun but the community of children ruins it for me.

I've said it for months now, but Mystery Heroes is the best mode. Removing the ability to pick heroes removes like 98% of all toxicity.

You guys need to work on your PMA.

jk toxicity sucks, especially if it goes beyond game related things

I've said it for months now, but Mystery Heroes is the best mode. Removing the ability to pick heroes removes like 98% of all toxicity.

I've found my lost brother.

<3

That's the only mode I play atm.

Azoor

1. Ehhhh, people can have over buff up simultaneously anyways. Good suggestion but I kinda like seeing other players time played.

2. This just isn't fair. You can't market a game to everyone everywhere then only make it playable where there is a stable internet. Suspending people because of internet issues will cause them to quit.

3. This isn't happening anytime soon, just not what their vision of this game is.

I'm sorry, but this an online game and that's the nature of it, it is fair because you're gonna ruin someone else's time your connection. Like what I have said, it shouldn't apply after one match.

Thoughts during comp last night:

I wish they'd remove inter-team chat during the match. Two guys went full tilt raging at a "hacker" widow on the other team, while they, quite correctly, laughed at them.

Getting them to focus on the game instead of typing insults was challenging.

Is it just the competetive aspect of Overwatch that makes the tilting and shitty teammates so bad? I've been playing alot of Destiny 2 and have met so many friendly, helpful and patient people randomly from gaf, reddit and other lfg sites. I guess it could be because the gameplay is PvE.

Overwatch does a great job of subtly reinforcing good and bad feelings especially in comp, the post game skill rating screen, your skill rating being the largest font on the play screen, the the rating icons...

I last played overwatch last friday night and my first game I got matched with a dude who was very obviously having a terrible time and was just talking shit from character select to the end of the match.

Is it just the competetive aspect of Overwatch that makes the tilting and shitty teammates so bad? I've been playing alot of Destiny 2 and have met so many friendly, helpful and patient people randomly from gaf, reddit and other lfg sites. I guess it could be because the gameplay is PvE.

Overwatch does a great job of subtly reinforcing good and bad feelings especially in comp, the post game skill rating screen, your skill rating being the largest font on the play screen, the the rating icons...

I last played overwatch last friday night and my first game I got matched with a dude who was very obviously having a terrible time and was just talking shit from character select to the end of the match.

It's an unfortunate side effect of ego. In a game where you have to rely on 5 other people to win, and only 1 team can win a match, then you're going to have 6 people looking for answers/explanations to their loss every game.

What's easier to do? Do I blame myself for my shortcomings? Nah... Because the team healer didn't pick the hero I would have preferred, and the one they did pick, they didn't play it well enough to my standards. Or maybe I should blame our tank? Is it possible the enemy team just outplayed us because they are better? Nah, I'm sure it has everything to do with our Genji not being able to flank properly. I know I was doing everything right, it must have been everyone else.

This isn't exclusive to gaming, it's just that due to the level of anonymity, people are less likely to receive repurcussions for poor sportsmanship. You get a guy doing this shit after playing basketball at the gym, either he's going to get his ass beat, or people will just stop playing with him.

ISOM

I've teamed up with some real nice people and have met plenty of assholes too. It's just the claustrophobic nature of Overwatch that amplifies it I think. Since it's a game that relies so much on teammates, metas and shit, that it can breed a unfriendly environment.

LiK

There are a lot of bullies in OW. It can be pretty annoying. Which is why I’ve decided that teamchat is pointless. I wanna have a good time cuz I do better when I’m in a good mood. If I start hearing shit from some annoying random thinking he knows everything, it totally ruins my mojo.

You’ll meet friendly players from time to time but there’s always an exception.

TrueBlue

On the topic of Halloween, I hope they manage to make the menu variant music sound a little less grating this time around. I know that sounds really silly, but the other event exclusive music didn't seem quite as overbearing.

Mendrox

I dont know where all this toxic attitude is coming from.in your games. I play on EU servers and have that maybe once or twice a week over many games. I have more funny games with stupid funny people talking funny than toxic people. :-/

LOL and Dota 2 were way worse in that regard for me back then which is why I quit both of these.

There are a lot of bullies in OW. It can be pretty annoying. Which is why I’ve decided that teamchat is pointless. I wanna have a good time cuz I do better when I’m in a good mood. If I start hearing shit from some annoying random thinking he knows everything, it totally ruins my mojo.

You’ll meet friendly players from time to time but there’s always an exception.

I've said it before but if I'm playing solo I don't join team chat. All things considered there's no merit to it.

There should be an option to push-to-talk on console, having open mic is extremely annoying.

When I see something stupid happening most of the time I can't contain myself and comment on that out loud but I wouldn't push any button to talk about it if I had the option.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

My man. Toxicity in Mystery Heroes is pretty damn rare and I almost always play solo. People only complain about "getting on the point" or when there is over 3 of the same hero lol(and at this point, you can only blame RNG).

LiK

I dont know where all this toxic attitude is coming from.in your games. I play on EU servers and have that maybe once or twice a week over many games. I have more funny games with stupid funny people talking funny than toxic people. :-/

LOL and Dota 2 were way worse in that regard for me back then which is why I quit both of these.

Some people are just passive aggressive about it or they’ll blame you for the wrong pick etc even if you’re doing well and they keep dying in the killfeed. They might even just not play that hard so you’ll have a tougher time. It’s not all people yelling or cursing at you.

Maddocks

Not on pc, you can hide the chat, but it hides everything. Team chat,private chat, general chat. Once you press enter to type to your team it unhides it, so you have to hide it again.

it's a hassle.

Mendrox

Some people are just passive aggressive about it or they’ll blame you for the wrong pick etc even if you’re doing well and they keep dying in the killfeed. They might even just not play that hard so you’ll have a tougher time. It’s not all people yelling or cursing at you.

Guess I dont mind or I rather dont experience them in ranked. I know what you mean but I see these guys in QP where i do so too. That's what's QP is about for me. Trying new funny things, improving your characters etc. I also only play in duo hmm so I dont exactly give a shit about anyone else as long as we have a healer and tank. Works out very well for me. People also often think that people play bad just cause but sometimes people also have a bad day so I wont insult them or shit talk. Guess I just dont take it seriously because it's a game. Dunno I still love the community even on a sunday playing ranked.

I'm ready to step back into OW - finished Danganronpa and XCOM2 has pissed me off with its poor performance on PS4, so I have a whole week to dedicate back to OW before South Park hits.

On a slightly tangential note but not completely unrelated to the thread: does anyone know when toxicity became the common verbiage for community behavior? Like I feel like it wasn't until the last year that I started hearing "toxic community" as a regular thing, but it could be because OW is the first real multiplayer game I've played since online gaming became a big thing.

Top Bottom