• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not really much distinction between black and latino in Brazil...

Thanks for the response. I didn't know that. I guess I'm just wondering why Blizzard chose to include characters that speak Chinese, Korean, English, Robotic, French, Japanese, Russian, and German, but neither characters of Latin or Hispanic* descent/origin speak a lick of Spanish.

Grief.exe

Entered a lobby today on Hanamura Attack. Chose Zarya. Random person in the chat:

person: tank?
me: We have a tank...
team mate: Zarya is a tank
person: zyria is shit tank

:|

Like, what? The stupidity of the chat and players in this game never ceases to amaze.

Zarya has a high skill/awareness cap so she can be played very poorly. I find she is best paired with another tank like Reinhardt as well.

Thanks for the response. I didn't know that. I guess I'm just wondering why Blizzard chose to include characters that speak Chinese, Korean, English, Robotic, French, Japanese, Russian, and German, but neither characters of Latin descent/origin speak a lick of Spanish.

Torbjörn doesn't speak Swedish either :'(

Entered a lobby today on Hanamura Attack. Chose Zarya. Random person in the chat:

me: We have a tank...
team mate: Zarya is a tank
person: zyria is shit tank

:|

Like, what? The stupidity of the chat and players in this game never ceases to amaze.

To be fair, Zarya really is more of a brawler than a full on tank I'd say. As far as actually absorbing damage and pushing/protecting the team forward you really need a Reinhardt or a Winston. I tend to only pick her if we already have a Reinhardt or Winston on the team already to add some tanky dps.

Zarya has a high skill/awareness cap so she can be played very poorly. I find she is best paired with another tank like Reinhardt as well.

Yeah I'm just guessing this person had no clue how to play her or how viable she can be.

To be fair, Zarya really is more of a brawler than a full on tank I'd say. As far as actually absorbing damage and pushing/protecting the team forward you really need a Reinhardt or a Winston.

No doubting that but I've always had success with Zarya on Hanamura Attack. Calling her "shit" just showed ignorance.

LiK

A good Zarya is friggin frustrating to fight and can carry an entire team and also fuck over enemy teams in OT with her Ult combined with another Ult. She's pretty powerful. I wish I was good with her.

I'm seeing more and more great Zaryas. They lead teams and in the right hands are a crazy Tank/DPS/Support hybrid. A team that doesn't hold fire when they see the shield are about to be feeling some serious pain.

Whales

Banned
A good Zarya is friggin frustrating to fight and can carry an entire team and also fuck over enemy teams in OT with her Ult combined with another Ult. She's pretty powerful. I wish I was good with her.

yeppp

Zarya can make you scared of shooting at her pretty much
combine her with a healer+ a damaging class and you've got a good combo

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I just had a game where we had a roadhog and a dva and someone kep going WE HAVE NO TANK WHAT A SHIT TEAM

R0ckman

It seems that a majority of McCree players were only spamming fan the hammer? On the blizzard forum people are now saying he is trash?

To me, I've just noticed the change a bit and I'm still effectice with him. I never knew that people rellied so heavily on fan, I always used it as a last resort or on a team were both sides were not that good and I could tare through a couple of foes as McCree to give my crappy team a bit of a boost. Even then I was still using left click.

Torbjörn doesn't speak Swedish either :'(

Yeah, but at least it's acknowledged in his appearance/voice lines. You get that one Reaper skin, and that's about it. I guess I'm just bummed about it because it's a competitive game, and there's a sense of pride that comes with playing as a character that sort of represents where you're from. Like, if you're from France, I bet it feels cool to play and compete as Widowmaker.

Whales

Banned
It seems that a majority of McCree players were only spamming fan the hammer? On the blizzard forum people are now saying he is trash?

To me, I've just noticed the change a bit and I'm still effectice with him. I never knew that people rellied so heavily on fan, I always used it as a last resort or on a team were both sides were not that good and I could tare through a couple of foes as McCree to give my crappy team a bit of a boost. Even then I was still using left click.

mccree is still very good

But in pubs ( before the nerf) I noticed pretty much every single mccree used to spam right click and use it like 5x more than his left click

No doubting that but I've always had success with Zarya on Hanamura Attack. Calling her "shit" just showed ignorance.

Oh yeah calling her shit is just plain stupid, with some minimal healer support she can dish out some HEAVY punishment.

And that you were on attack means it makes even less sense to call her shit since she's arguably better on offense.

NIN90

The tank situation is one of the more annoying things in this game. Technically there's five of them yet only of them is considered a true tank. I dislike playing as Rein so I just stick with Roadhog on defense and Zarya on offense if we need a tank.

Oh yeah calling her shit is just plain stupid, with some minimal healer support she can dish out some HEAVY punishment.

And that you were on attack means it makes even less sense to call her shit since she's arguably better on offense.

Yeah she's really good at gaining shield damage at that first door and taking out any turrets. She's also good at spamming that room and taking out Symmetra turrets if one happens to be set up there I've found.

peakish

I just had a game where we had a roadhog and a dva and someone kep going WE HAVE NO TANK WHAT A SHIT TEAM
Getting a "can someone pick a better healer" when Lucio was around took me by surprise once. Pretty sure healing wasn't the biggest problem in that game bro

Shoogoo

Wasn't the legendary drop rate higher during the beta?

I remember getting two legendary d.va skins within the first few level ups.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
sometimes when i play i feel like i carry the team. the one time i die we lose.
jk. everyone's a team player.
Ixv9Ztz.png

Yep, playing a lot of Pharah, it's blatantly obvious which McCree's actually could aim their guns, and which ones just kept spamming the flashbang/FTH combo and didn't know how to do anything else (Hint: most of them were the second one, especially in pub matches). If a McCree actually knew how to aim they would be a serious threat to me hovering in mid-air and presenting a nice juicy target, but most of them just went running for cover the second I started launching rockets at their head.

R0ckman

Roadhog is really damn fun, I've mostly seen really bad Roadhogs who did nothing really but potshot, take tons of damage heal and whiff hooks.

I do hide behind stuff on ocassion, but when I come out I make sure I'm taring into people.

kyle-777-

Thanks for the response. I didn't know that. I guess I'm just wondering why Blizzard chose to include characters that speak Chinese, Korean, English, Robotic, French, Japanese, Russian, and German, but neither characters of Latin or Hispanic* descent/origin speak a lick of Spanish.

I don't know what he is meaning when he says that there is no difference for brazilian. But Lucio for a brazilian is a black guy and is a latino (because he is from Latin America).

And in Brazil we speak portuguese not spanish lol and yes, when you play the game in english Lucio doesn't have any portguese line, like most other characters have a native language voice line.

I don't know what he is meaning when he tells that there is no difference for brazilian. But Lucio for brazilian is a black guy and is a latino.

And in Brazil we speak portuguese not spanish lol and yes, when you play the game in english Lucio doesn't have any portguese line, like most other characters have a native language voice line.

People in Brazil also speak Spanish, don't they? Edit: They do, but it's not any where near the level of Portuguese. Sorry for generalizing. He SHOULD speak Portuguese. It's just weird.

kyle-777-

People in Brazil also speak Spanish, don't they? Edit: They do, but it's not any where near the level of Portuguese. Sorry for generalizing. He SHOULD speak Portuguese. It's just weird.

Well, actually we do not speak Spanish. There are people who knows Spanish, like I studied English and Spanish, so I can speak Portuguese, English and Spanish, but we do not have Spanish as a native language anywhere in Brazil.

No problem about the generalizing, most people do think that we speak Spanish, because, you know, only us in the entire South America do not have Spanish as a native language.

On topic:

People complaining that McCree is trash were just the FtH spammers, he's still on a really good spot.

i only used fan the hammer when it was appropriate, i.e. when i flashbang someone or when they're ridiculously close to me. those guys whining are just garbage at mccree.

maouvin

Nowhere near indeed. Portuguese is the only native language here. People who speak spanish either studied for it or are probably using what we call "portunhol" (not an actual word, formed from joining português/portuguese and espanhol/spanish).
Both english and spanish are taught on schools, but in no way enough to make one proficient.

And we once discussed about spoken language (on the beta thread) and realized half or more of the non-native english speakers don't have any lines on their native language, lol.

edit: what kyle-777- said!

Azoor

Nowhere near indeed. Portuguese is the only native language here. People who speak spanish either studied for it or are probably using what we call "portunhol" (not an actual word, formed from joining português/portuguese and espanhol/spanish).
Both english and spanish are taught on schools, but in no way enough to make one proficient.

And we once discussed about spoken language (on the beta thread) and realized half or more of the non-native english speakers don't have any lines on their native language, lol.

Aside from Mercy and Widowmaker, who else speak in their native tongue?

I'm arab and I can assure Pharah doesn't pronounce her name like she is supposed to in Arabic.

Edit : I forgot Zarya and D.Va do speak in their native tongue too.

nOoblet16

Reaper is American though so his first language being English is not surprising. On the other hand Symmetra doesn't speak Hindi, Pharah doesn't speak Arabic, Lucio doesn't speak Portuguese, Reinhardt doesn't speak German.

maouvin

I'm arab and I can assure Pharah doesn't pronounce her name like she is supposed to in Arabic.

The Shimada bros, Zarya, DVa and Mei iirc.
I think Torb has a swedish voice line, maybe some of the others have such thing too.

kyle-777-

Bastion? lol

Reaper is American though so his first language being English is not surprising. On the other hand Symmetra doesn't speak Hindi, D.Va doesn't speak Korean, Pharah doesn't speak Arabic, Lucio doesn't speak Portuguese.

D.Va does speak Korean. And that's what I'm saying. Like, it seems like they went a half-step in the name of diversity, but then back peddled. Or it's just their creative vision, and I can respect that. I just think that when you have a huge swath of the most popular languages and ethnicities represented, it seems odd to leave out a few major ones. Maybe it's just a case of missed opportunity more than anything.

Had a game awhile back where we had a Hanzo and a Widow. A guy starts freaking out that we have three snipers and we are all so bad. When asked who was the third sniper, he replied with Bastion.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker

Wait, Pharah is an actual Arab name ?

I see three now.
Two during gameplay and one for voice line.

There's at least six that I can think of.

She'll say "hello." 안녕

She'll say "annoying" when she respawns. 짜증나.

She'll say something about raising her APM.

She has a line about turning her boosters on.

Something about "going to fly"

And another one about her hands that I can't quite remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom