• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

I can only speak for my own experience but I haven't had any specific problems with multiples of other characters. Toblerone is a whole other level.

Really? I've run into stacked Junkrats, D.Vas, Hanzos, Reapers, McCrees, Bastions, and Winstons that are just as frustrating to play against as Multi Torbs. The only real difference is that Multi Torb is the easiest one you can do since it doesn't require coordination or skill.

There's nothing they can do to fix that, except getting rid of hero stacking. You'd have to nerf Torb to ridiculous levels before Multi Torb is no longer a problem.

arimanius

Yeah, it's not like there are replays to watch other players' perspectives. You just have your own. I've joined friends' games and spectated the first match before and heard them complain to me about a certain player and I'll go watch that player and everything is normal. It sucks when everything doesn't synergize and you don't win or your team gets outplayed but people are so slow to give credit and quick to blame other players.

I always like skipping the kill cam and watch my teammates play while waiting to respawn. Get a good perspective on what everyone is doing.

aeolist

Banned
if a mei can walk into your team on an objective and singlehandedly assassinate you without dying then you have bigger problems

i am imagining this now and it's hilarious

just walking in all cute saying hi to everyone, stabbing lucio in the head repeatedly with an icicle, then giggling and walking away unmolested

Never played Overwatch but really interested in it do you guys recommend it for a huge TF2 fan ?, been playing TF2 since it came out with the orange box

Public test region and new beta patch available:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20157263

PATCH FEATURES

New Feature: Competitive Play
Once you hit level 25, you’ll have access to our newest feature: Competitive Play. This mode was designed to be a more serious experience, allowing players to hone their skills and perfect their strategies. But before diving into the fray, you’ll need to play 10 placement matches. These will allow our matchmaking system to gather enough information about your abilities to assign a skill rating.

With your newly acquired skill rating, you’ll be matched against players of a similar ability level. And if you play well and win games, the competition will become increasingly fierce throughout the two-and-a-half-month season. Plus, your performance will be rewarded with unique in-game items like sprays, player icons, and Competitive Points (which can be traded in for cosmetic Golden Weapons).

We’ve also made a number of changes to Overwatch's match format for Competitive Play. Some of these changes are simple interface changes, while others ensure that maps and modes don't favor one side or another—plus we’ve added a sudden death mechanic that ensures tied games are broken as fairly as possible.

Because Competitive Play is more serious in nature, we want to make sure that player behavior is acceptable. This means that the penalties are more severe than in the Quick Play or Weekly Brawl! modes. Leaving a game early or stepping away from your computer will make you ineligible to join a game until the previous game has ended, and continued infractions could result in restrictions or removal from Competitive Play.

GENERAL UPDATES

Gamepad Controls

Players can now swap the left and right sticks on a control pad
"Legacy" controls option has been added:
Left stick up/down moves forward/backward
Left stick left/right turns left/right
Right stick up/down aims up/down (these can be inverted)
Right stick left/right strafes left/right
Sticks can also be switched
Improved dead-zone controls, giving players increased accuracy during off-center and diagonal stick movement

Miscellaneous

When activating Widowmaker's Ultimate ability, Infra-Sight, her voice line will now be audible map-wide
"Weapons" section added to the Hero Gallery
Added McCree as an AI hero in Practice vs. AI, Play vs. AI, and Custom Game modes
Added a variety of a social options to the hero selection and end of match screens
Removed "Prefer"/"Avoid" player system

BUG FIXES

General

Fixed a bug that would cause players’ weapons to auto-snap straight up or down when the crosshair was aimed between 85 and 90 degrees
Fixed a bug that caused players who backfilled and then completed a game to sometimes receive a loss on their Career Profile and not receive their XP bonus for backfilling
Fixed a bug that would move players toward the source of a knockback rather than away from it
Fixed a bug that caused Hearthstone-themed sprays to ignore localization
Fixed several framerate issues that could occur when cycling through the hero selection menu
Fixed a variety of issues with and made several improvements to ambient lighting
Made some improvements to how AI heroes respond to one another
Made a variety of performance and optimization improvements across the game
Unicode keys for non-English keyboards are now displayed properly in the keybinding interface

Maps

Players can no longer be resurrected in out-of-play areas on Ilios

Heroes

Fixed a bug with the "Junkrat RIP-Tire Kills—Average" lifetime statistic
Fixed a bug that allowed some projectiles to shoot through Reinhardt’s Barrier Field
Fixed a bug that allowed Torbjörn to pick up Scrap while dead

R0ckman

How is matchmaking supposed to know whether or not it's putting together a good team composition though? How does it know that a player isn't going to contribute to the objective? I mean from matchmaking perspective the player may never play the obj but they're still winning 50% of their games so should MMR push them into a lower tier for no reason? How is it supposed to know whether or not that player contributed to the win or not, based on obj play only? What about good snipers, or flankers that don't touch the obj as much as someone like Rein or Lucio? Should they get dropped into a lower MMR because they "don't play the objective"? How do you know people aren't trying to get to the objective but just suck or are getting outplayed? How is matchmaking supposed to know that a player isn't going to try out a new hero for that match or if they're even going to be playing heroes that got them to that MMR ranking in the first place? You could get perfect, ideal, teammates that are all at high MMR level but two of them could be trying different heroes for the first time. How is matchmaking supposed to account for that? By asking you to take a survey on what you're going to do before assembling the teams?

Because I'm watching what my team is doing, you can see the arrows, you can see the characters they are playing and if what they are doing makes any sense at all. You can compare it to other teams that are at least trying but aren't good, you can honestly tell the difference. I had a team last night that I lost on but we were at least trying, most of my games are not like that, people are fighting off of the objective and not putting a priority on it.

I played with a group of people last weekend who were drinking and one of them passed out in our last match, the matches were still much better than my solo matches. Sometimes people forget to contest in our group, but in randoms its too many people.

Even trying different heros, you should be on the point in crucial moments or a majority of you should understand that in a good matchup, not sitting right outside of the box. I'd understand if it was 1 player but when half your team is sitting outside of the point attacking inside and not contesting it, you can't use the excuse of "What if they are trying new Heroes?"

I usually do exceptional as Tracer in KotH and I think I'm on the objective most of the time and only get off of it to weaken enemies coming back in small groups.

Where is D.Va's mech headshot located?
Pretty much the entire front area of the mech. It's next to impossible to miss that thing. Hope they shrink that hitbox down to normal size.

When activating Widowmaker's Ultimate ability, Infra-Sight, her voice line will now be audible map-wide
giphy.gif

Kamion

Do you guys have some tips for Mei? I get destroyed by good Meis a lot so I'd love to play her and try for myself, but I dunno what the right playstyle for her is.
Do I stay with the team or do I flank?

Improved dead-zone controls, giving players increased accuracy during off-center and diagonal stick movement

Give this to me now. Give. This. To. Me. Now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's pretty much impossible to quantify "teamwork-ness", and even good players sometimes just don't feel like playing as part of a team, or maybe they got where they are by just outperforming on their typical heroes. It's also possible some people get where they are by using comms and coordinating their team explicitly over comms, which is why some teams look like they're much more teamwork than others. Or maybe two people queue together but it makes a world of difference to their team if they're running mccree/dva or reinhardt/mercy as a duo.

There's just too many cases to consider. Is the matchmaker perfect? No, I have my share of complaints but this is mostly due to it wigging out and reinstancing or doing a mid-setup reshuffle without resetting the timer. If you've ever queued as 6, sometimes you just run into really strong, coordinated groups. My groups are usually kind of ad-hoc "6 friends/acquaintances" and we get often get crushed by these kinds of nerd groups. Our internal MMRs and aggregate MMRs are likely on similar levels, but there will still be a massive disparity in terms of teamwork, something the matchmaker can't really catch or compensate for.

aeolist

Banned
Do you guys have some tips for Mei? I get destroyed by good Meis a lot so I'd love to play her and try for myself, but I dunno what the right playstyle for her is.
Do I stay with the team or do I flank?

try to find people on their own since you can solo people pretty easily. freeze them with lmb and headshot rmb. spam rmb when you're at mid and long range.

wall is a really good tool to shut down enemy ults and split them up. if they're pushing you it's usually easy to wall off the person in front and kill them before their team can help. after you hit e you can hit it again to change the wall's orientation, and when it's up you can hit e again to cancel it before it expires.

Read an article from forbes about our good little buddy torb. I think he absolutely destroys pubs on console. One thing i noticed the article didn't point out, is that the PC community was already more experienced due to the beta (and various players also had experience with classed based shooters like TF2), whereas the console version you have people who have never touched a classed based shooter of this caliber and the inexperience is killing everyone. Would torb be a non-issue on console if we just wait a month or two?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...g-overwatch-on-ps4-and-xbox-one/#2ce4accc1419
Why do people even cite win rate? A defensive hero that tends to be picked on defence where uncoordinated attackers have a huge disadvantage? Also tied to new players being worse at attacking in general (playing objectives). I don't think stats take any of that into account.

R0ckman

Yes but everyone has this same story. You are thinking about the few great plays you had and saying that is the entire Overwatch experience. I'm betting 99% of the time there are people pushing the payload with you or are keeping people away from you as you are pushing the payload.

Too many people on here think they are the best of the best while everyone else are drooling idiots shooting at walls.

Nope, most of the time people are just brawling on both sides. I usually look around at what is going on before I engage, I check if there are skulls up, I check what enemies are near the objective etc. If most people get on the payload and stay a bit tight on it if they get off its a land slide victory (which isnt fun either).

Its also not just the payload, or doing something godly. Something as simple as getting rid of bastion or a turret can mean nothing if your team is not interested in pushing. Sometimes matches CAN turn around, but it usually only happens when enough people leave the game and we get more cooperative players.

Interfectum

What is this? I mean, there is like one weapon per hero, so what's the point? Are they going to introduce new weapon models to the lootboxes?

Probably. I doubt they are going to create a new inventory slot just for one golden weapon. I wonder if they'll keep going with this and add helmets (hats) and shit down the road.

aeolist

Banned
OH, I didn't know I could change orientation, this changes a LOT.

you can use the wall directly beneath your (or anyone's) feet to boost up a level, and if you get caught in a junkrat trap doing this will instantly break it and free you.

dive in front of big attacks like rein charge and use your shift to tank it for the team while you're invulnerable.

her ult is hard to aim but when you get it down it's one of the best aoe denial abilities, if you're charging in and tossing it at a group it's usually good to put up a wall behind them to prevent escapes. it combos well with zarya and rein ults too.

Kamion

I don't know whether I like the ranked mode having tangible rewards. I think it should be something more akin to player portraits or I don't know.

Wouldn't want the pub crowd to play ranked for those and play the same they do in Free-Play.
Then again you get these for WINNING now, so maybe it changes game style no matter what.

I recognize that there's lots of factors where people will be playing the objective correctly but not actually be on the objective. But someone still has to cap the point, or push the payload, or keep overtime going (or defend against that). When I say I get angry over people not playing the objective, I'm thinking of games I've lost in Overtime where we had the numbers advantage and then lost because everyone walked off the point/payload and time expired.

I won't care about that too much in quick play once competitive mode is live though.

abundant

I don't know whether I like the ranked mode having tangible rewards. I think it should be something more akin to player portraits or I don't know.

Wouldn't want the pub crowd to play ranked for those and play the same they do in Free-Play.
Then again you get these for WINNING now, so maybe it changes game style no matter what.

I don't think that will be much of a problem since Competitive MMR is based off of your skill level, so those players would be low level. (At least, that's how I hope Competitive Mode to work)

R0ckman

I recognize that there's lots of factors where people will be playing the objective correctly but not actually be on the objective. But someone still has to cap the point, or push the payload, or keep overtime going (or defend against that). When I say I get angry over people not playing the objective, I'm thinking of games I've lost in Overtime where we had the numbers advantage and then lost because everyone walked off the point/payload.

Yeah this is what I mean, alot of people don't contest. They will back off the point or payload and let it continue to move, or let that ONE character sneak the payload on by. It's okay to ignore enemy characters if they are not getting in the way of the mission.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Skins, the first being golden gun rewards for competitive mode I believe.

Right, forgot about the golden guns.

I'm going to assume that weapon skins are going to be the Competitive rewards, with Golden guns being Season 1 and Season 2 will have something else. Maybe Halloween themed guns? :p

Kade

Removed "Prefer"/"Avoid" player system

Not sure about this. On one hand, it was good to have a way to sort of curate my experience with this system but on the other hand, it didn't fucking work. Kept getting matchmade with Avoided players constantly. Hopefully it's just all being consolidated into the Block system.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
"When activating Widowmaker's Ultimate ability, Infra-Sight, her voice line will now be audible map-wide"

Thank fuck, I have been whining about this for too long.

eek5

Yeah this is what I mean, alot of people don't contest. They will back off the point or payload and let it continue to move, or let that ONE character sneak the payload on by. It's okay to ignore enemy characters if they are not getting in the way of the mission.

How exactly do you factor this into MMR though? Do you penalize players for individual bad plays? If they're at a point and instead of taking a step forward to contest they take a step back their MMR drops on the spot?

How do you be an effective Zenyatta?

Lead targets. Spam from a distance. Hide behind larger HP characters. Throw up a discord whenever you switch targets. Watch for opportunities to use your charge up attack as you come around corners, or as Mei's ice block ends. It hits for a lot if you can get the timing.

aeolist

Banned

if they're doing that all the time they're losing a lot and are low mmr, and if you're getting matched with people like that all the time then... well...

Lead targets. Spam from a distance. Hide behind larger HP characters. Throw up a discord whenever you switch targets. Watch for opportunities to use your charge up attack as you come around corners, or as Mei's ice block ends. It hits for a lot if you can get the timing.

Your aim needs to be on point if a Tracer or something comes after you? He doesn't seem to have any options besides kill them before they kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom