• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh golly gosh another Winston PotG as I blitzed the enemy team off the payload point in overtime with primal rage thanks to a timely Mercy resurrection.
To think I purchased highlight intros for Zen and Mei that I never see while Winston is racking up my plays.
So in celebration I went and got me the one where he's breathing on his glasses.

I got POTG yesterday with only 1 kill. It was a long range head shot 1 second into the game but it was still just the 1 kill.... Weird.
I had this once in the beta, fully charged Zenyatta orbs out the opening door on attack, no sniping for that widowmaker, granted nothing much else happened in said match, it was quick.
They class stuff like this as sharpshooter I believe and I don't see it often, only got it one other time as Zenyatta for two long range headshots in succession.

eek5

Your aim needs to be on point if a Tracer or something comes after you? He doesn't seem to have any options besides kill them before they kill you.

I mean you want to stay on the back lines, with your team. If a hero that's designed to disrupt the back lines comes for you then you've been countered. Zen doesn't have escapes so your options are to kill the person, have your team help you kill the person, or die. Pretty black and white lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How do you be an effective Zenyatta?
Speaking from experience on killing Zenyatta the one's that are hardest to deal with are those who stick around their teammates(typically behind them) and largely stay away from the frontlines until they have an ULT they're about to pop.

Your aim needs to be on point if a Tracer or something comes after you? He doesn't seem to have any options besides kill them before they kill you.

You aren't wrong there. Tracer can tear you up when she gets in the back and there isn't much you can do about it besides being aggressive and hope your team takes notice you're in trouble.

Speaking from experience on killing Zenyatta the one's that are hardest to deal with are those who stick around their teammates(typically behind them) and largely stay away from the frontlines until they have an ULT they're about to pop.

when they die to zenyatta that's when their whole team comes after you. been there too many times. along with being Mei. no one cared until they die to my icicle
i only hide behind good rein. not the one that put up shield and decide to charge leaving me to die.

They actually removed the avoid player feature so people couldn't avoid snipers ruining their games. Why not remove snipers instead. The majority of people don't like them in their game. They objectively make FPS games less enjoyable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zenyatta folds against Tracer/Genji/Reaper so I wouldn't use him if those guys are hanging around your flanks.

Wonder if that means symmetras alt fire will no longer go through reinhardts shield?

No. Symmetra's orb ignoring Reinhardt's shield isn't a bug, it's intended.

They actually removed the avoid player feature so people couldn't avoid snipers ruining their games. Why not remove snipers instead. The majority of people don't like them in their game. They objectively make FPS games less enjoyable.

Because if Blizz listened to complaints like this I'm pretty sure what we'd have left is a shooter with no characters and no maps.

How do you be an effective Zenyatta?

Stay in the middle/rear of the pack, constantly monitor teammate's health and be ready to move around to keep the ones needing health most in your sightlines.

Use your discord orbs on priority targets (healers, then tanks) and concentrate on taking them out.

Watch out for flanking Genjis and Tracers, and be wary of Bastions in turret mode that have a clear shot at you. They will shred you before you have a chance to react. Try to stay near tanks/healers on your team so the enemies have someone else to shoot at.

Lastly, use your ultimate on final pushes and to help mitigate damage from Ults. Zenyatta's Ult can almost fully cancel out the effects of some enemy ults (reaper comes to mind).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Not sure about this. On one hand, it was good to have a way to sort of curate my experience with this system but on the other hand, it didn't fucking work. Kept getting matchmade with Avoided players constantly. Hopefully it's just all being consolidated into the Block system.
Cuz they had disabled that system before removing the option.

Is there anyone streaming PTR right nao?

eek5

Wonder if that means symmetras alt fire will no longer go through reinhardts shield?

There is a bug where some projectiles can go through the center of rein's shield. I think slightly upper left of the center while hes walking up an incline.

The Overwatch universe makes no sense. Reinhardt's shield can deflect Zarya's beam, but not Symmetra's seconday fire. Genji can deflect the latter but not the former.

Interfectum

Yup same with turrets. Tracer is annoying too. I also don't like falling off ledges, seems cheap. Remove them. Noob nade spam sucks, remove that. Actually remove ults too. Cheap ways for quick kills.

Because if Blizz listened to complaints like this I'm pretty sure what we'd have left is a shooter with no characters and no maps.

You mean if they listened to complaints like this they might make an awesome game with no snipers ruining the game for the majority with maps designs that were not mostly designed around sniping.

I think it's because Symmetra's weapon is technically not solid, therefore you can't really block it while Zarya is just firing hyperspeed particles

R0ckman

How exactly do you factor this into MMR though? Do you penalize players for individual bad plays? If they're at a point and instead of taking a step forward to contest they take a step back their MMR drops on the spot?

They might have to look at characters, look at time played, the effectiveness of the character, measure how much objective time each character could have (a reasonable amount based on the character), how long you played them in the match. Whatever the case, solo matchmaking is terrible.

BUT I do think group is great, sometimes I get a lot of the golds in my group sometimes I don't but the games are always amazing and I very rarely have one sided jokes. A lot of losses we do have come from too many of us refusing to switch characters. So all the matches fill somewhat winnable.

I may just have to stick to groups I guess. I'm never mean in chat, and give suggestions to my team but a lot of the times people don't know what contesting a point or overtime is, don't care about synergy combos with characters etc. Even people trying new characters will ask for help, and even on a bad team I get on ocassion I can tell when they are trying because they ask for help. I've a children calling out teleporters, if a kid can do it it shouldn't be hard for the average player.

I'm going to see how random plays in competetive out of curiousity but probably never touching outside of groups.

Can't hold all these Caveman Spongebob memes.

307.png

5a7c0c91be6b0cf6b3fa6ab32ffb90e2f4f3fc575210a5639f297e1f84bbdd26_1.jpg

67e11a179bb543aed64e7a66867c2322672c00b9c760a788d913cb3a12590d86_1.jpg

tumblr_o84c7tQFq21uz9axco1_500.jpg

I enjoy this meme too much, lol. It'll never get annoying to me.

eek5

They might have to look at characters, look at time played, the effectiveness of the character, measure how much objective time each character could have (a reasonable amount based on the character), how long you played them in the match. Whatever the case, solo matchmaking is terrible.
OK so do you lock them into those heroes then? Seems kind of strict for quick play. How do I get my other heroes MMR rankings? What if I match making put me into a high MMR match as one hero but the other team is countering hard. Is it OK to switch?

<52% win rate now. Why god why?

According to Jeff's post my MMR should be staying decent if I perform well in my role though. Does that mean those games where I get 7 kills with Lucio and 4 gold medals my MMR is actually going up?

Here's a question:

Should Reaper's ult have more of a call-out prior to the attack? What I mean is that, in its current state, when he begins to say the first "Die" in "Die, Die, Die," he's already shooting. The ult is already in effect.

Should this be timed out so that shooting doesn't begin until after the first "Die" or at least after it begins?

For comparison, D.Va has a loud call-out and then a big flashing exclamation point showing the exact location of her mech before it explodes. Junkrat laughs and pulls his the cord prior to the tire being controllable. S76 and McCree can't their ults until you hear about them.

The Overwatch universe makes no sense. Reinhardt's shield can deflect Zarya's beam, but not Symmetra's seconday fire. Genji can deflect the latter but not the former.

Makes sense to me.

Reinhart's shield is an energy shield therefore energy projectiles can phase through it

Genji can reflect any projectile therefore he can reflect Symmetra's charge beam.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Symmetra talking about bad team when they're playing Symmetra on a KOTH map

incoming, 'but my symmetra is different' posts

People learn with time. This statement is so reactionary when you still have folks playing TDM and running in solo vs a whole team.
It's been almost a month now. Shouldn't people know by now this isn't a TDM game? And what if there are people who are just content with playing TDM?

I'm not saying Torbjorn is OP like the author but I'm getting tired of the excuse "Give it time" when discussing bad teamwork in pub games.

Haly

Yea, why does Zarya's beam not go through it? I thought it was supposed to.

I don't know where this came from but at some people just made the blind assertion that "beam weapons go through barriers", probably because none of them actually play Zarya. It's likely because they assumed barriers obey the same rules as Deflect.

Things that go through barriers:
Reinhardt's Special
Symmetra's Alt
Winston's Primary

That's all I can think of.

Stay in the middle/rear of the pack, constantly monitor teammate's health and be ready to move around to keep the ones needing health most in your sightlines.

Use your discord orbs on priority targets (healers, then tanks) and concentrate on taking them out.

Watch out for flanking Genjis and Tracers, and be wary of Bastions in turret mode that have a clear shot at you. They will shred you before you have a chance to react. Try to stay near tanks/healers on your team so the enemies have someone else to shoot at.

Lastly, use your ultimate on final pushes and to help mitigate damage from Ults. Zenyatta's Ult can almost fully cancel out the effects of some enemy ults (reaper comes to mind).

Thanks. Though my biggest problem with him as a healer is that if lots of teammates are grouped together, it's hard to heal the person that you want. I hate it when somebody dies because I was accidentally healing the person standing in front of them.

I don't know where this came from but at some people just made the blind assertion that "beam weapons go through barriers", probably because none of them actually play Zarya. It's likely because they assumed barriers obey the same rules as Deflect.

Reinhardt's Special
Symmetra's Alt
Winston's Primary

How do people deal with Reinhardt cheese when only 3 characters can ignore his shield?

aeolist

Banned

According to Jeff's post my MMR should be staying decent if I perform well in my role though. Does that mean those games where I get 7 kills with Lucio and 4 gold medals my MMR is actually going up?

i think the idea is that it's win-loss based but weighted, so games where you do really well and lose won't count as heavily but still hurt your mmr.

eek5

No it probably goes down but not as much (assuming you were high MMR on a low MMR team against a high MMR team). Who knows though. :)

Most people are having this problem though, so...

How is it possible for "most people" to have this problem if the other team is always playing the objective?

Here's a question:

Should Reaper's ult have more of a call-out prior to the attack? What I mean is that, in its current state, when he begins to say the first "Die" in "Die, Die, Die," he's already shooting. The ult is already in effect.

Should this be timed out so that shooting doesn't begin until after the first "Die" or at least after it begins?

For comparison, D.Va has a loud call-out and then a big flashing exclamation point showing the exact location of her mech before it explodes. Junkrat laughs and pulls his the cord prior to the tire being controllable. S76 and McCree can't their ults until you hear about them.

Reaper's ult is easy enough to counter. Just shoot him in the face, he is largely a standing still target and if 2-3 people are competent enough to react they can kill him before you die.

Here's a question:

Don't think so. He's pretty similar to Pharah in regards that their ults would be kind of worthless if there was a warning when they're used.

LiK

Reinhardt's Special
Symmetra's Alt
Winston's Primary

Don't make assumptions about people. I play Zarya often and I dunno why her beam is exempt from going through Reinhardt shields. Sorry I dunno the science and lore behind it since they never explained it.

Genji can deflect basically anything with a projectile. He can't deflect any beams, including Zarya's, Mei's, or Symmetra's. Symmetra's orb is a projectile and Reinhardt's firestrike are projectiles with the special rule that they can pass through barriers. It's not that random.

aeolist

Banned
Most people are having this problem though, so...

lol no

people are either exaggerating, don't understand why they're really losing, or are bad and think they should be put with better teams anyway

i can't remember a single game from the last month where my team wasn't at least trying to play the objective, even if we got utterly stomped

Do you guys have some tips for Mei? I get destroyed by good Meis a lot so I'd love to play her and try for myself, but I dunno what the right playstyle for her is.
Do I stay with the team or do I flank?

Give this to me now. Give. This. To. Me. Now.

just hit her with a rocket

R0ckman

OK so do you lock them into those heroes then? Seems kind of strict for quick play. How do I get my other heroes MMR rankings? What if I match making put me into a high MMR match as one hero but the other team is countering hard. Is it OK to switch?

I'm not saying give each character an MMR, I'm saying that all these things probably need to be factored into a bigger calculation to determine how well you play in general. Looking at wins and losses alone isn't good enough obviously. Some people reccomend players get familiar with ALL characters.

Haly

How do people deal with Reinhardt cheese when only 3 characters can ignore his shield?

Well, you can just shoot it down. With your entire team concentrating it takes about 5 seconds to bring it down. You can also flank him with Reaper/McCree/Tracer. Bastion is very good for ripping through shields. Junkrat can throw the remote mine behind the shield actually.

If you're a Reinhardt as well you can melee attack through it, and also pin him with Charge. Rein is actually a fairly good Rein counter. The primary advantage of the shield is that it lets Rein's team stay in an "open area", but if you're Rein vs Rein, you can do the same thing so it comes down to which team takes down the Reinshield first.
Don't make assumptions about people. I play Zarya often and I dunno why her beam is exempt from going through Reinhardt shields. Sorry I dunno the science and lore behind it since they never explained it.

I meant it was just a rumor that started out a few weeks after launch and it just took hold, here and elsewhere. I'm not blaming you for it.

Leaving a game early or stepping away from your computer will make you ineligible to join a game until the previous game has ended, and continued infractions could result in restrictions or removal from Competitive Play.

yo. the last comment though.

LiK

Reinhardt shields go down quick with team focus fire especially from Bastion in turret mode.

Well, you can just shoot it down. With your entire team concentrating it takes about 5 seconds to bring it down. You can also flank him with Reaper/McCree/Tracer. Bastion is very good for ripping through shields. Junkrat can throw the remote mine behind the shield actually.

If you're a Reinhardt as well you can melee attack through it, and also pin him with Charge. Rein is actually a fairly good Rein counter. The primary advantage of the shield is that it lets Rein's team stay in an "open area", but if you're Rein vs Rein, you can do the same thing so it comes down to which team takes down the Reinshield first.

I meant it was just a rumor that started out a few weeks after launch and it just took hold, here and elsewhere. I'm not blaming you for it.

Ok cool cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom