• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it probably goes down but not as much (assuming you were high MMR on a low MMR team against a high MMR team). Who knows though. :)
If it's more or less like ELO, I think all Kaplan is saying is that if your team is, let's say, a "50" and goes up against a "70" team, your MMR won't drop much (or at all) if you lose, because the game was expecting that outcome. On the other hand, if your 50 team beats the 70 team, the system has to make a more radical correction to both teams: the 50 team appears to be better than it thought, the 70 less so. On the other hand, if your 70 team beats a 70 team, your MMR will only go up slightly and theirs will only go down slightly, because things are more or less as expected. Over time, with more data, your MMR become less elastic and it takes more positive results for the system to correct upwards.

I think the system probably uses some sort of average of the players in the room to try and make matches, which means if you're an 80 player grouped with a bunch of 20s and lose to a team of mostly 50s, you'll drop more steeply than the 20s on your team will: the system expects you to do better.

This is all speculative, but it's a useful (if strictly inaccurate) way of explaining how these things work.

cyborg009

Banned
Can't hold all these Caveman Spongebob memes.

307.png

I enjoy this meme too much, lol. It'll never get annoying to me.

Dude this happen to me and I instantly died because widow maker was aiming at me while the whole time.

R0ckman

lol no

people are either exaggerating, don't understand why they're really losing, or are bad and think they should be put with better teams anyway

i can't remember a single game from the last month where my team wasn't at least trying to play the objective, even if we got utterly stomped

Then maybe you aren't looking at the arrows on your map or are getting tunnel vision in matches?

The game gives you a lot of info, it gives you a death feed, you can see who is giving your team trouble you can see how they are responding etc. Most of my matches are in groups now but on the off chance Im in solo, we've got people telling people they are morons and to get on the objective. I had someone begging the team to get on the objective.

Braag

Was playing against a team in Gibraltar which had a Widow with a Mercy who was doing nothing but hiding behind the widow and giving her dmg boost so she could clear out our entire team. Also a Toblerone which built his turrets next to where the Widow and Mercy camped so killing her was harder. Barely pushed the payload to the first checkpoint, never made it to the second.

Shit like this always puts me off playing for a good while.

Satch

Banned
You'd be surprised how many Reinharts just let me walk through their shield as Reaper, Roadhog, McCree
Theyre not letting you do it, they expect the people behind them to take care of it. They probably dont even realize their teammates have left them until its too late

Reaper's ult is easy enough to counter. Just shoot him in the face, he is largely a standing still target and if 2-3 people are competent enough to react they can kill him before you die.

Yeah, I'm not complaining that it's too OP or anything. I'm thinking of a way to encourage people to choose positioning before using it. Right now, I see a lot of Reaper players that just run in to their deaths, shooting all the way to get their Ult up, and then hitting a point with their ult for at least a guaranteed kill on a soft target.

Don't think so. He's pretty similar to Pharah in regards that their ults would be kind of worthless if there was a warning when they're used.

True. This is the line that would need to be walked. I don't want a big pause before the shooting starts... just a slight beat so it's behind the "Die" and not right with it or slightly before it.

aeolist

Banned
Then maybe you aren't looking at the arrows on your map or are getting tunnel vision in matches?

The game gives you a lot of info, it gives you a death feed, you can see who is giving your team trouble you can see how they are responding etc. Most of my matches are in groups now but on the off chance Im in solo, we've got people telling people they are morons and to get on the objective. I had someone begging the team to get on the objective.

ok i get it

you get matched with bad players 100% of the time

maybe you're not very good?

jediyoshi

Hellloooo PTR

Fixed a bug that would cause players’ weapons to auto-snap straight up or down when the crosshair was aimed between 85 and 90 degrees

Knew it! Only ever happened to me on Roadhog while using ult though.

aeolist

Banned
I love the MMR post. People can finally stop bitching about how the game is pushing them back down to 50%.

nah people still talk about the trench in dota and elo hell in league as if they were real and those have been going for years

people don't have a good grasp on their own skill level, forced 50 is here to stay

R0ckman

ok i get it

you get matched with bad players 100% of the time

maybe you're not very good?

Actually in my group they give me a nickname for the night if I'm not in the card feed and if I don't get play of the game, or do not preform adequately, so I must be doing something right. A lot if them friend requested me after matches. I'm not amazing but I know how to use the characters I play, I know how to use the information the game gives me. Most people don't apparently, so you don't get it.

Interfectum

Actually in my group they give me a nickname for the night if I'm not in the card feed and if I don't get play of the game, or do not preform adequately, so I must be doing something right. A lot if them friend requested me after matches. I'm not amazing but I know how to use the characters I play, I know how to use the information the game gives me. Most people don't apparently, so you don't get it.

So you have a good night and now you pro-player playing in a sea of idiots (besides the cool peeps who friend invited you). You gonna be on stage at Blizzcon OW playoffs this year?

If you have a 50%+ w/l ratio that's not only you doing it. Your teammates are helping.

Onemic

Ya, in PUGs at least, many people still play the game like COD.

aeolist

Banned

being convinced that everyone around is just holding you back and you deserve more wins than you get is the cutest delusion in team games

cd1d8701698bb491cef51324437efb58847a3dfde23fbe152267200b771b61d4.jpg

Grisby

Got Mei's firefighting outfit through a box. Legitimately the first epic skin that I haven't bought that I like.

Fits her character real well.

I love the MMR post. People can finally stop bitching about how the game is pushing them back down to 50%.

Yea its a really good post. I really like how open Blizzard is being with communication in OW. Unfortunately people will always complain (look at any MOBA ever or posts in this topic, its always teammates holding them back).

R0ckman

So you have a good night and now you pro-player playing in a sea of idiots (besides the cool peeps who friend invited you). You gonna be on stage at Blizzcon OW playoffs this year?

If you have a 50%+ w/l ratio that's not only you doing it. Your teammates are helping.

Ah, now you twist things I say to hold your point.

1) It was not one good night, this hapoens multiple nights in the group and thats where the joke comes from.

2) Never said I was a pro, I said I play the game correctly and most people I play with in solo don't from what I have observed. People were impressed with how I play does not make me a pro.

3) NEVER once did I say on my winning teams I was doing all the work. I always thank our Mercy, our Lucio especially if they help me, I make damn sure I give them a shout out if a card doesn't do it and I defend players who were called worthless when I notice them helping.

4) In a losing match my team is not helping me if I'm playing Pharah and I'm getting rid of turrets on the objective and I have no one rushing to the point for overtime. Realistically not EVERY player on the enemy team is going to be chasing down all of our players, so a brawl is contributing nothing to the objective.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Has the patch decreased performance for anyone else? It really tanked it for me. I can't play the game with it as choppy as it is.

Are you playin' in the PTR? The PTR is hosted on the US servers, so if youre from far away the US youll get worse than usual perf.

Interfectum

1) It was not one good night, this hapoens multiple nights in the group and thats where the joke comes from.

2) Never said I was a pro, I said I play the game correctly and most people I play with in solo don't from what I have observed. People were impressed with how I play does not make me a pro.

3) NEVER once did I say on my winning teams I was doing all the work. I always thank our Mercy, our Lucio especially if they help me, I make damn sure I give them a shot out if a card doesn't do it and I defend players who were called worthless when I notice them helping.

4) In a losing match my team is not helping me if I'm playing Pharah and I'm getting rid of turrets on the objective and I have no one rushing to the point for overtime. Realistically not EVERY player on the enemy team is going to be chasing down all if our players, so a brawl is contributing nothing to the objective.

So at least 50% of the games you play are great. You have teammates that recognize how well you are doing and you become friends with. You have teammates who heal you and help you win the objectives. So... what is your complaint again? That you sometimes get grouped with people in solo queue who don't do what they are supposed to be doing?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

3) NEVER once did I say on my winning teams I was doing all the work. I always thank our Mercy, our Lucio especially if they help me, I make damn sure I give them a shot out if a card doesn't do it and I defend players who were called worthless when I notice them helping.

4) In a losing match my team is not helping me if I'm playing Pharah and I'm getting rid of turrets on the objective and I have no one rushing to the point for overtime. Realistically not EVERY player on the enemy team is going to be chasing down all of our players, so a brawl is contributing nothing to the objective.

This is not the proper response.

The proper response is "Yeah, I'll be on stage because I'm awesome. So bite me."

YW :)

PM me your bnet so I can add you. We can relive our Destiny glory days.

Onemic

So at least 50% of the games you play are great. You have teammates that recognize how well you are doing and you become friends with. You have teammates who heal you and help you win the objectives. So... what is your complaint again? That you sometimes get grouped with people in solo queue who don't do what they are supposed to be doing?

PUGs aren't the ideal way to play the game? I dont know what's so controversial about his statement. It's true.

Interfectum

PUGs aren't the ideal way to play the game? I dont know what's so controversial about his statement. It's true.

He said "matchmaking is broken" and I disagree. Obviously playing with a solid group with full voice chat is the optimal way to play this game.

R0ckman

Actually I group mostly now and have no issues with losses its about 50 percent, I know my group is trying. Thats fine.

In pubs its not 50 percent, if I even dip my feet in solo its about 60%-70% loses. This is every night I get on now for the past two weeks? But I get maybe 3 or 4 matches before someone sends me a group invite.

My point was that I think the solo matchmaking is terrible. Granted that makes sense because its a team game, but I think it works VERY well when its in groups. Some awesome matches most of the time win or lose.

Onemic

He said "matchmaking is broken" and I disagree. Obviously playing with a solid group with full voice chat is the optimal way to play this game.

Oh, in that case I dont really know what you can do to make it better except to wait for the competitive mode to come out and try that solo. Quick play is meant for casual play.

Interfectum

Actually I group mostly now and have no issues with losses its about 50 percent, I know my group is trying. Thats fine.

In pubs its not 50 percent, if I even dip my feet in solo its about 60%-70% loses. This is every night I get on now for the past two weeks? But I get maybe 3 or 4 matches before someone sends me a group invite.

My point was that I think the solo matchmaking is terrible. Granted that makes sense because its a team game, but I think it works VERY well when its in groups. Some awesome matches most of the time win or lose.

We just have to agree to disagree on the solo matchmaking. Could it be better? Probably but it does its job. I play 95% of this game solo and have a 52% win ratio. I'd say probably a quarter of those losses was due to team fuckery (myself included sometimes) and the rest was we got outplayed.

Yea its a really good post. I really like how open Blizzard is being with communication in OW. Unfortunately people will always complain (look at any MOBA ever or posts in this topic, its always teammates holding them back).

Won't you get 50% regardless of whether MMR is at work? Statistically, assuming you play with random people, you have a 50% of winning even if you are a pro. But if you are in an organized group that is better than most of the average players, you will get something between 50-70%. Isn't that what you expect?

I personally don't care that much about my winrate if I am playing with people who try and know what they are doing. I will obviously lose a lot of matches if I play with people of equal skill. Yes I can still get streamrolled or have a long losing streak, but there are no obvious direct reasons as to why we lost e.g team lacking important characters (healers and tanks) and people not playing objectives; reasons would be subtle such as strategies and team compositions (not shitty individual picks).

Well, you can just shoot it down. With your entire team concentrating it takes about 5 seconds to bring it down. You can also flank him with Reaper/McCree/Tracer. Bastion is very good for ripping through shields. Junkrat can throw the remote mine behind the shield actually.

If you're a Reinhardt as well you can melee attack through it, and also pin him with Charge. Rein is actually a fairly good Rein counter. The primary advantage of the shield is that it lets Rein's team stay in an "open area", but if you're Rein vs Rein, you can do the same thing so it comes down to which team takes down the Reinshield first.

I meant it was just a rumor that started out a few weeks after launch and it just took hold, here and elsewhere. I'm not blaming you for it.

I meant Reinhardt "cheese", like a team having 3 Reinhardts on a payload all defending a Bastion and a Torb, or something.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
We just have to agree to disagree on the solo matchmaking. Could it be better? Probably but it does its job. I play 95% of this game solo and have a 52% win ratio. I'd say probably a quarter of those losses was due to team fuckery (myself included sometimes) and the rest was we got outplayed.

I'm at 48% win rate in almost all random pub matches. I'm guessing it would be over 50% if you take out all those BS losses when I join a game when there's 2 minutes to go and my team is getting creamed. It's honestly not as bad as some make it seem. My only consistent complaint about pub matches is that there's always a widow or hanzo when it doesn't make a lot of sense.

This quote from reddit:

In the span of a little over a month Jeff Kaplan has single-handedly communicated with the community over perceived issues in good detail more than Valve's entire teams have in the entire lifespan of TF2 and CS:GO combined.

As a huge fan of Dota, it's dead-on. Valve seems deathly afraid to say anything because of "bad communication" but they need to realize there is a right way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom