• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else been experiencing lag in Competitive? It's only happened to me a few times and it has never been unplayable, but I've never had lag until I started playing Competitive.

I accidentally click x on the window and closed the game during a comp. Rushed to load the game back up and rejoin. Suckz that I loss the gold medals I had during it :(

How is placement determined? Is there a calculator out there? I got 57 and I feel like I played pretty well, but 57? My QP win % is 47% playing 95% solo. I made sure to play the objective at all costs though and managed at least silver in objective time with mostly gold every game. Maybe that's weighed pretty heavily?

ViviOggi

Pretty sure I got fucked by this because I definitely won more on KoTH than I did on Payload/2CP, and I know for a fact Gwyn did because there's no fucking way he should have started off at 45. That's just laughably inaccurate.

Holy shit this explains a lot, I got placed at 42 despite pretty high QP MMR. I went 4-6 so a slightly lower placement was to be expected, but not at forty-fucking-two. Multiple gold medals every game too, so it's not like my individual performance was significantly worse than usual for whatever reason. I definitely had most of my losses on payload while at least 3 of my wins were on KOTH maps. If it's true that the messed up KOTH scoring (which has been reported by PTR users) even extends to placement games - how the fuck do you ship this?

Zemm

Holy shit this explains a lot, I got placed at 42 despite pretty high QP MMR. I went 4-6 so a slightly lower placement was to be expected, but not at forty-fucking-two. I definitely had most of my losses on payload while at least 3 of my wins were on KOTH maps. If it's true that the messed up KOTH scoring (which has been reported by PTR users) even extends to placement games - how the fuck do you ship this?

It's mad. Especially when you see some Twitch streamer who is like rank 57 and it looks like they're aiming with an Xbox controller. As someone else said, season 1 is a beta test in all but name, hopefully they get everything fixed and straightened out by season 2.

RemiLP

Been playing with symmetra abit recently. Really starting to like her. Good teleporter and turet position can do wonders for a defencive position.

Im still learning how to use the gun most effective. Is the beam always more powerfull than the orb at close range?

Vitanimus

Been playing with symmetra abit recently. Really starting to like her. Good teleporter and turet position can do wonders for a defencive position.

Im still learning how to use the gun most effective. Is the beam always more powerfull than the orb at close range?

absolutely. it helps that it requires no accuracy as well.

DrArchon

The beam is ludicrously strong with you keep it locked on someone. The power goes way up with continuous use, so you can tear apart tanks if you keep hitting them with the beam. It does much more damage than the orb.

Westlo

Went 3-7 in placement matches... skill rating 35
snoop.png

Should've been 4-6 but we lost one person in a match our team was better... lost sudden death by like 2 meters...

fresquito

I honestly don't understand how the rank up and down work. I lost my first game and lost a little. Won my next game and I leveled up. Now I'm 54. Good shit.My numbers are terrible, but I guess caring for the objective and not for the numbers helps.

Went 3-7 in placement matches... skill rating 35
snoop.png

Should've been 4-6 but we lost one person in a match our team was better... lost sudden death by like 2 meters...
Wow. I'm sorry to say, but that's terrible. Sounds like you need to make a few tweaks to your game. maybe stick to some role where you think you can contribute to the team? Learn to counterpick with something that fits your team? On the bright side, you will be going up a ton by winning a few matches and you don't have much to lose from there.

That game you lost wouldn't have made a difference, so don't overthink it.

I was about to ask if koth/CP bug affected placement. More than half of my games were on those.

I guess this is one of the good things about seasons.

fresquito

I was about to ask if koth/CP bug affected placement. More than half of my games were on those, and I get gold elims/obj. kills, damage, and objective time the vast majority of the time.

I guess this is one of the good things about seasons.
What's this bug everyone is talking about?

mbpm1

The beam is ludicrously strong with you keep it locked on someone. The power goes way up with continuous use, so you can tear apart tanks if you keep hitting them with the beam. It does much more damage than the orb.

Symmettra can act as a proto-flanker bc of how strong it becomes.

Gives actual Offensive characters pause if she gets close

rsniper59

Neo Member
Has anyone else been experiencing lag in Competitive? It's only happened to me a few times and it has never been unplayable, but I've never had lag until I started playing Competitive.

I hit major lag in one of my competitive matches yesterday, which really affected how well I was able to play. I ended up switching from Mercy to Lucio so I could at least AOE heal effectively while lagging all over the place. I felt really bad about it for my teammates after we lost, apologies if any GAFers were involved.

ragevvorks

Neo Member
5/5 on my qualifier matches which I played solo (all the regret) - ended up at 43. Grouped up with a bunch of friends and climbed all the way to 48 in a series of wins, then i dropped right back to 46 with just 2 losses. One of the games was a 2cp that lasted 40 mins D: Feelsbadman.

On the bright side, comp play showcases way more impressive and intense plays than quickplay has ever shown me in this game.. I seriously need to take breaks to breathe after healing/tanking long comp matches, the buttclench is real!

Yup. Had a match last night where the other team was running double Roadhogs, and I actually managed to take down one of them all by myself with Symmetra, even when he hit his heal in the middle of it. Took a while, but he never managed to get a good shot in at me to stop me from burning him up.

It's luck a lot of the time, I think, but if you get good at jumping up and over enemies and strafing around while keeping your beam locked on them, you'd be surprised on how effective Symmetra can be in a one-on-one battle.

Crzy1

I had some last night, nothing horrible, but had a lot of times where I was rubber banding all over the place. Also the only time I've experienced it. It always passed quickly, but was annoying in the moment.

DrArchon

If you're good enough to avoid getting hit, then yeah Symmetra is a monster up close. Just jump around a like a madman and keep the camera vaguely pointed at the enemy and they'll go down fast.

I'm not good enough to do that, but I've seen enemy Symmetra's do dirty things to whole teams when they try and cap objectives.

Finalow

Is it really? I always hear it just fine, but maybe that's just me.

I mean, I don't hear the specific words, but I hear Hanzo's VA shouting in Japanese so I know to pay attention.
it is much quieter, meaning you don't usually realize he ulted you/your whole team until it's too late, if the Hanzo has a good placement. (like when he's flanking)
it's insane how many kills you can get with it, especially on payload maps.

abundant

5 winstons you say?

How about say hello to bastion?

I can't believe people are still trying to make that a viable strategy. Double Winston is pretty strong, but more than that and it becomes one of, if not the easiest hero stacks to counter.

Yup. Had a match last night where the other team was running double Roadhogs, and I actually managed to take down one of them all by myself with Symmetra, even when he hit his heal in the middle of it. Took a while, but he never managed to get a good shot in at me to stop me from burning him up.

PS4? If so, I may have been in that game with you. I was the second Symmetra.

Gurrry

The hook has got to be fixed. Im so fucking tired of hooking someone and them teleporting through my body or flinging off to the right or left. Its already hard as it is to get hooks on the smaller characters, then to have them disappear as soon as you hook them is really bullshit. It puts you at a horrible disadvantage when this happens because you have no idea where they end up, by the time you turn around its already too late.

Fourth ranked game we have a level 25 who plays only Genji and gives helpful advice like that we all have to push the objective together. I already find ranked play in this game really frustrating.

Also overtime is a total waste of the players time. I'd rather they just declared the match a draw if they hate the idea of stopwatch that much. Is this some sort of grand final of a tournament or something where we have to stay in the same awful game forever. Just add stopwatch mode and strop trying to reinvent the wheel you absolute dunces.

peakish

What I just realized might screw me for ranked is I'm making picks that help the team, but I might not be the best at using.
This is a problem for sure. Sometimes I need the team needs a Genji or Reaper to break positions but I'm terrible with them. Should get in some practice with them sometime to round my skillset off a bit.

What I just realized might screw me for ranked is I'm making picks that help the team, but I might not be the best at using.
This is what worries me about solo queue'ing. Eventually, I'm going to be forced to pick Reinhardt or Mercy for the sake of a stupid team, and my winrates with those heroes—despite honest efforts to improve—are terrible. I'm a DPS/Zarya/Lucio kinda guy.

Seriously. Why the hell do these people play ranked? Just a liability.
To be fair, sometime a Hanzo is just lights-out good.

The other 9 times out of 10, I'm relieved to see him on the other team.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just lost a rank, we were 5 and got the most awful random ever, an unranked, level 36 who played Torbjorn and did nothing. The guy just had no business being in ranked, we almost held out 5v6 but just couldn't do it. I just have no idea why someone that green would be put with us.

Pooya

yeah, I'm not playing rest of my placements before they fix this thing. If I end up below 50, I might as well delete my account and buy the game again, the group I often play with are all 60+. effing sudden death losses, it makes you feel like shit, whoever designed that had no clue whatsoever about fairness.

Gurrry

Getting 1 competitive point per win is really stingy. I understand they dont want everyone to have a golden gun, but at this rate, only those that play 24/7 will be able to get one. I pretty much go 50/50, win loss win loss win loss. At that rate, ill have to play 600 games before august in order to get enough points. I really hope they dont reset once the season is over... cause if so, then this will be a giant waste of time.

The games are much longer in ranked too, so youre really not progressing as fast as you would in quick play where youre leveling up and getting consecutive match bonuses. It seems like I get less XP playing ranked, which doesnt make sense.

Zeliard

Ugh, wish I could do my placements again

Kaplan just added this:

"No plans to reset skill rating. Basically, very little skill rating adjustment is happening in either direction. It's a zero-sum bug. The skill rating system is entirely player-relative. This is a bug that affects everyone equally. Your losses on Control maps are also not being adjusted as much as they should... The bottom line is Control maps aren't really adjusting players in either direction as much as they should. On the bright side, wins still yield competitive points...

The fix will be live soon OR we will disable the Control maps."

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745755424?page=3#post-58

I think this was a problem of mine for a while when I first started playing. I'd choose Mercy or Reinhardt or Genji when we needed that person but I was not great at using them. Finding characters you're more comfortable with and give similar boosts is way better than choosing the "right" character for the situation when you can't use them effectively.

I.E. I know Genji is good for flanking and taking out turrets, but I'm more comfortable either being Widowmaker for turret patrol or Tracer as back line harassment. My Genji just sucks donkey balls, no matter if he's perfect for what I'm facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom