• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi

I agree with you here. There should at least be a no hero stack mode.

I really don't think so. Some users only know how to play one hero, and it's better that they do it decently with a dupe than completely messing everything up trying to play a hero they don't know. Of course it depends on the hero, but I don't think it's a big problem unless there are 3+, or they both chose a character that don't contribute well as duplicates.

ramyeon

to be fair, it's basically in his job description on payload maps. he's designed to be far away from the action. sometimes the payload is in the back. :3
That's not what I mean. We had lost control of the payload near the start of Dorado, I was the only one pushing aggressively to get it back while all the rest of the team were off in different corners trying to get kills.

duckroll

I really feel that anyone complaining about hero stacking is just looking at the problem wrong. The problem isn't stacking, the problem is you have shitty teammates who don't cooperate. Removing stacking won't make that problem go away.

- If you don't like hero stacks because you hate fighting multiple torbs or bastions, your problem is that your team isn't working together to counter that, by switching characters and talking more.

- If you don't like hero stacks because your teammates pick dupes of the same useless heroes and don't contribute, your problem is that your team isn't working together to form the best combination, by switching characters and talking more.

Hero stacking isn't the problem, people who suck at understanding team games is the problem. Remove hero stacking and you'll be faced with these same players picking heroes YOU might want to use but you can't because they picked it first and they suck at it.

Getting stomped by a Bastion? You know you can just swap to a Widow for a single spawn and take it out to let the team push? Too bad someone is already a Widow and playing TDM with a Tracer on the other side of the map!

Want to switch to a Winston for a surprise counterattack and take the point? Too bad someone is already a Winston and is just hiding in some corner doing jack shit!

Who would want to play a game like that?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
penalty " Make the enemy team gain a pixel of a rank", wow such penalty. Fucking dumb system.

overwatch-penalty-700x319.jpg.optimal.jpg

Lokbob

So many complete morons in competitive complaining against literally everything if you don't win.
Not doing anything themselves but it sure is the healers fault, for not using all his ults perfectly timed while being harassed by flankers no one is caring about.

Blizzard

Banned
Reference?
I can't find an official reference -- I thought I saw some people mention it in the thread. Maybe I'm wrong?

I really feel that anyone complaining about hero stacking is just looking at the problem wrong. The problem isn't stacking, the problem is you have shitty teammates who don't cooperate. Removing stacking won't make that problem go away.

- If you don't like hero stacks because you hate fighting multiple torbs or bastions, your problem is that your team isn't working together to counter that, by switching characters and talking more.
The issue is that 3+ of the same champion (or even possibly 2+ in some cases) can be minimal effort and high reward.

It's POSSIBLE to lasso a group of random internet people together and have everyone pull off a coordinated, strategic takedown of something that doesn't take much effort to create, but it's still a frustrating, complicated experience.

The point about wanting to have 2 of a hero if the other one isn't being useful is reasonable, but in a lot of cases there are still alternates. If a widow is bad, you can go hanzo. If a winston is bad, you can go dva to flank, etc.

fresquito

I can't find an official reference -- I thought I saw some people mention it in the thread. Maybe I'm wrong?
Okay, then I'll stand and wait for a source. I main Support and Tanks, so I hope you're not right (although I can see how it might be harder to level up, because tanks and supports are very dependant of how the team plays).

Hook fix when

Ranked KOTH fix when
I don't understand what's so hard to fix, really. Make enemies go through anything and land directly in front of Hog. Doesn't sound too crazy. I hope they fix it soon enough.

Pooya

ok, I'm going to wait a few days for things settle down a bit before I play rest of my placements. My matches were pretty good except one or two instances of rank 25 player that clearly didn't know how to play when like everyone else is level 80+ on both teams, mm blunder I guess, it was late. They really should set the the minimum level at 50 though, 25 is just someone who started playing yesterday, cmon.

Sudden death is the dumbest mechanic ever, might as well flip a coin, so much for it not happening as often. all of my losses so far are due to one sided sudden deaths. Defend first point of King's Row? sure bro, might as well just flip the coin and determine a winner.

I don't get it, just use stop watch like tournaments do, if we delivered the payload to the end twice as fast as them, we should win, not to go to sudden death. That encourages people to stay on the damn payload too.

Repo Man

Didn't see if anyones posted on this subject but Koth game mode rank gains/losses seem a bit off and others are saying they are seeing it too.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/co...really/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

Theres also some posts popping up about it on the games forums.

First noticed it last night where my team had a few payload wins with good gains but then a koth win only gave the tiniest amount of progress towards a higher rating. Thought maybe we were against a much lower rated team but this morning I had 2 payload losses and lost a good deal of rank but the following 2 koth wins I gained hardly anything even though the teams were on an almost equal level.

I hope its not intended since koth games can go on a bit.

duckroll

The issue is that 3+ of the same champion (or even possibly 2+ in some cases) can be minimal effort and high reward.

It's POSSIBLE to lasso a group of random internet people together and have everyone pull off a coordinated, strategic takedown of something that doesn't take much effort to create, but it's still a frustrating, complicated experience.

I feel this is a bit overstated though. The idea that just picking multiple Torbs and Bastions will give you a free win is absolutely not true in a vacuum. A team of 5-6 Torbs and Bastions will take no effort at all to counter, even if only 1 or 2 players bother to counterpick and fix the problem themselves. A team with 2 Torbs and 2 Bastions can be a huge pain in the ass IF the remaining 2 players have a good Reinhardt and Mercy. So yes, there are certain combinations that are easier to play. But do consider this, if a team has 2 Torbs, 2 Bastions, good placement, a good Reinhardt, and a good Mercy doing a solid job of managing the team's health and damage output, we're not talking about "minimal effort and high reward" here. We're talking about a full team playing together as intended. Is that really something to be frustrated about in a team game?

2 or 3 players stacking on Torbs and Bastions without coordination are worthless. People love to whine about Bastions being "hold button to win" post-match, but my experience has been that Bastions who do well are taking advantage of good placement and their teammates not being shit. The later is much more important. So yes, the main annoyance might be getting killed over and over by a Bastion in the same spot, but if that's happening and no one is taking the Bastion out successfully, it means they have other things going for them.

That's my mentality in team games.

ekim

Comp mode and people still going solo after dying... alone to the point. What's so difficult about waiting for your other team mates at least? It's so frustrating. Also people not willing to die for the good cause is mind numbing to me. Distract the opposite team when you are Winston or D.Va so the rest of the team can pass a choke point... but nope. When I do so (distracting) the rest of the team won't follow even though I told them about my plan. Same goes for zoning with a D.Va ult. We could've won if some of the others in the team would simply push the Payload the last few meters while the enemy is hiding from my Mech.

2d matching game: Won against some guy whose entire team left. Hats off to him for staying till the end, with humor!

3rd and 4th games: No coordination, got steamrolled

Zemm

Didn't see if anyones posted on this subject but Koth game mode rank gains/losses seem a bit off and others are saying they are seeing it too.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/co...really/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

Theres also some posts popping up about it on the games forums.

First noticed it last night where my team had a few payload wins with good gains but then a koth win only gave the tiniest amount of progress towards a higher rating. Thought maybe we were against a much lower rated team but this morning I had 2 payload losses and lost a good deal of rank but the following 2 koth wins I gained hardly anything even though the teams were on an almost equal level.

I hope its not intended since koth games can go on a bit.

This bug would have affected placement results too. The whole mode seems like a rushed mess because they had to give themselves a hard deadline for it for some reason. They knew about this on PTR but still went live with it, what happened to "when it's done" Blizzard?

besada

Banned
I feel this is a bit overstated though. The idea that just picking multiple Torbs and Bastions will give you a free win is absolutely not true in a vacuum. A team of 5-6 Torbs and Bastions will take no effort at all to counter, even if only 1 or 2 players bother to counterpick and fix the problem themselves. A team with 2 Torbs and 2 Bastions can be a huge pain in the ass IF the remaining 2 players have a good Reinhardt and Mercy. So yes, there are certain combinations that are easier to play. But do consider this, if a team has 2 Torbs, 2 Bastions, good placement, a good Reinhardt, and a good Mercy doing a solid job of managing the team's health and damage output, we're not talking about "minimal effort and high reward" here. We're talking about a full team playing together as intended. Is that really something to be frustrated about in a team game?

2 or 3 players stacking on Torbs and Bastions without coordination are worthless. People love to whine about Bastions being "hold button to win" post-match, but my experience has been that Bastions who do well are taking advantage of good placement and their teammates not being shit. The later is much more important. So yes, the main annoyance might be getting killed over and over by a Bastion in the same spot, but if that's happening and no one is taking the Bastion out successfully, it means they have other things going for them.

That's my mentality in team games.

I generally agree with you, but I've been running into multi Zaryas and that's a tough combo to beat, regardless of who you switch to, because they synergize with each other, allowing twice the shield longevity by shielding each other. I don't mind multi torbs or even a team of six D.Vas, because you can do a quick switch and they'll instantly regret it, but the multi Zaryas that have become a staple of competitive in particular, really make it difficult.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
At that point it's completely legit to run a bastion in your comp. Two reapers can also ruin a double zarya team up.

Her shield just simply doesn't last that long.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I think I've seen the worst Hanzo pub player possible

We are on Hanamura Defend, he's on Attack
Our Widowmaker must have killed him 10 times alone solo, why?

He died at the same exact fucking area
That window above the big health pack overlooking the doors

He would be stationary, like dude move side to side, I was like Widowmaker saying some bullshit that Hanzo is a free kill
I as Torb check and I killed him from afar...

The thing that made him terrible beyond belief is he shot his Ultimate downward, like he pointed his crosshairs towards the floor and let it go...

We saw the Ultimate go off and dragons just vanish, worst part is there was nobody there, the only thing there were Symm's turrets, but still

I felt bad for Attack

besada

Banned
At that point it's completely legit to run a bastion in your comp. Two reapers can also ruin a double zarya team up.

It lasts two seconds and recycles every ten seconds. If you had five Zaryas, you could keep one of them invulnerable all the time. As it is, with two Zaryas, done well they're both invulnerable about a fourth of the time, which isn't a problem if you catch them alone, but with a team that knows how to push they can be absolutely brutal. The people I just played were running two Zs behind a Reinhardt, with a Lucio in the pack, and a couple of flankers picking off anyone who got into it with the main group. The hammered us, even though we were actively trying to find compositions that worked.

Maybe they were just that good, I suppose, but the more I see it, the more I think it's about to composition.

duckroll

Yeah I can see how two good Zaryas can be a pain in the ass. But having said thay, it's not an easy hero to play well, so if two of them are good players that's tough. Not arguing against balance quirks tho, just saying that it doesn't mean stacking is automatically an easy win.

GraveRobberX

Yeah I can see how two good Zaryas can be a pain in the ass. But having said thay, it's not an easy hero to play well, so if two of them are good players that's tough. Not arguing against balance quirks tho, just saying that it doesn't mean stacking is automatically an easy win.

4 Zarya and 2 Lucio's is goddamn ridiculous...

Antiwhippy

It lasts two seconds and recycles every ten seconds. If you had five Zaryas, you could keep one of them invulnerable all the time. As it is, with two Zaryas, done well they're both invulnerable about a fourth of the time, which isn't a problem if you catch them alone, but with a team that knows how to push they can be absolutely brutal. The people I just played were running two Zs behind a Reinhardt, with a Lucio in the pack, and a couple of flankers picking off anyone who got into it with the main group. The hammered us, even though we were actively trying to find compositions that worked.

Maybe they were just that good, I suppose, but the more I see it, the more I think it's about to composition.

They also only absorb 200 damage each, which are all massively out dps'd by bastion. 3000 damage in a single clip is no joke.

Hell, the fact that they have 3 tanks in a comp is an automatic bastion pick for me. Have someone to protect his flank and you're golden honestly.

People keep thinking that bastion is a noob wall, but he also honestly serves a purpose as a tank buster. Reaper is better as that in most situations because he can do it on the offense too, has greater mobility and doesn't have as many hard counters, and also because people aren't going to run that tank heavy usually, but if I'm on defense and i see the other team heavily relies on their tanks I'll pull out bastion.

fresquito

The also only absorb 200 damage each, which are all massively out dps'd by bastion.

Hell, the fact that they have 3 tanks in a comp is an automatic bastion pick for me. Have someone to protect his flank and you're golden honestly.

People keep thinking that bastion is a noob wall, but he also honestly serves a purpose as a tank buster. Reaper is better as that in most situations because he can do it on the offense too, has greater mobility and doesn't have as many hard counters, and also because people aren't going to run that tank heavy usually, but if I'm on defense and i see the other team heavily relies on their tanks I'll pull out bastion.
Hog eats bastions for breakfast, though. So does D.Va.

Antiwhippy

Hog eats bastions for breakfast, though. So does D.Va.

As a person who frequently plays hog and dva, and also as someone who kills quite a number of bastion with them, i can tell you that only the mediocre ones do.

Like straight up, there are a lot of bad bastions out there. Bastion should massively out dps dva before she gets him, but i can't tell you how many times I've just proceeded to out shoot bastion mekaless. If you can approach bastion in hook range before he can out dps you, that bastion is very predictable and very bad. Also if there's a rein forget about hooking, just get out and hope that you have a pharrah or genji who knows what they're doing.

If i see a bastion who just keeps sticking to one spot i know he's not someone i have to worry about.

-MD-

Had 3 guys throw a ranked match cause I was higher rank than them, they said someone my rank did it to them last match so they're doing it to me, neat. Then we queue again only to be matched against them, this time they actually try and end up winning, stealing points from us twice.

Ah well, I started at 60 (8-2) during placement and ended up with 60 (12-6) at the end of the night. I'm actually really enjoying competitive but that thrown match was beyond annoying.

ramyeon

Throwing in the towel for the night. Too many losses and it's getting to me. Teams I was up against worked really well together, must have been groups or actually using the voice channel. My teams were all over the place, so frustrating.

GraveRobberX

I think my highest was 21K damage as Bastion

Welp Torbjorn just pushed that a little too much ahead
fX06xDF.jpg

peakish

Had 3 guys throw a ranked match cause I was higher rank than them, they said someone my rank did it to them last match so they're doing it to me, neat. Then we queue again only to be matched against them, this time they actually try and end up winning, stealing points from us twice.

Ah well, I started at 60 (8-2) during placement and ended up with 60 (12-6) at the end of the night. I'm actually really enjoying competitive but that thrown match was beyond annoying.
Wait, they were admitting to throwing a match in chat? That's on log if you want to report them and ruining games for others definitely is against Blizzard's rules. Not only were they idiots, but also idiots.

A few days ago I ran into a triple Zarya stack when I was attacking on Hollywood. On my first respawn, I swapped to Bastion and went 22-1 from there - we just shredded the defense and hardly ever stopped pushing. That's what he's there for.

-MD-

Wait, they were admitting to throwing a match in chat? That's on log if you want to report them and ruining games for others definitely is against Blizzard's rules. Not only were they idiots, but also idiots.

Yep they said it in chat, they thought it was hilarious to derank us "tryhards".

Reported all 3 of them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Nothing more frustrating than emptying an entire clip with Reaper or Pharah on someone without killing him and looking like a complete noob in the process, especially if your target kills you first, ugh.

Antiwhippy

A few days ago I ran into a triple Zarya stack when I was attacking on Hollywood. On my first respawn, I swapped to Bastion and went 22-1 from there - we just shredded the defense and hardly ever stopped pushing. That's what he's there for.

People just need to learn about countering better really. Stacks just aren't a problem if you do and it's a frankly stupid strategy. i know it can be frustrating if you're in a pub team that refuses to switch out of their mains, but even 1 or 2 countering can turn a match. Which is why i still keep chat up, because in my experience there are people who will listen most times.

On gibraltar defense we had a double pharah just wrecking shop, they nearly delivered the payload, but just switching to soldier completely shuts them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom