• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
They also only absorb 200 damage each, which are all massively out dps'd by bastion. 3000 damage in a single clip is no joke.

Hell, the fact that they have 3 tanks in a comp is an automatic bastion pick for me. Have someone to protect his flank and you're golden honestly.

People keep thinking that bastion is a noob wall, but he also honestly serves a purpose as a tank buster. Reaper is better as that in most situations because he can do it on the offense too, has greater mobility and doesn't have as many hard counters, and also because people aren't going to run that tank heavy usually, but if I'm on defense and i see the other team heavily relies on their tanks I'll pull out bastion.

I'll give it a try next time I run into it and let you know how it goes. I know good snipers are a great Zarya counter, too, but the last thing I want to do when getting pressed on the point is tell people to go play a sniper. Weirdly, I've been getting a lot of games lately where no one wants to snipe, which is the opposite of how it was early on.

cHinzo

Nothing more frustrating than emptying an entire clip with Reaper or Pharah on someone without killing him and looking like a complete noob in the process, especially if your target kills you first, ugh.

Lost a straight up aim battle once with Soldier: 76 against a solo Mercy lol. Point blank range and I couldn't kill her, while she just shot my head off. QQ So emberassing.

R0ckman

I played a match where the other team had a Zenyatta payload pusher and they were actually winning because the rest of the team successfully distracted my entire team into playing TDM elsewhere. I had to switch and personally take him out, and then take out a few of the other players, and stand ON the payload, before they got the idea that they were playing the wrong game lol.

I'm praying that this wasnt competetive

R0ckman

Comp mode and people still going solo after dying... alone to the point. What's so difficult about waiting for your other team mates at least? It's so frustrating. Also people not willing to die for the good cause is mind numbing to me. Distract the opposite team when you are Winston or D.Va so the rest of the team can pass a choke point... but nope. When I do so (distracting) the rest of the team won't follow even though I told them about my plan. Same goes for zoning with a D.Va ult. We could've won if some of the others in the team would simply push the Payload the last few meters while the enemy is hiding from my Mech.

I'm glad took a break yesterday to build my new gaming rig instead of dealing with this. Can't belive people are ignoring strats in this mode.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How do you gain this season points for the gold weapons? Winning 300 games?

Yep, 1 competitive point = 1 win
Losses give you nothing

Competitive matches from reading the thread are way longer

You do get a certain amount as bonus at the end of the season depending where you rank

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the KOTH bug was reported on the PTR forum but they didn't acknowledge or fix it. Competitive is a total waste of time until it's fixed, hoping for a hotfix today.

Pooya

It's so bad knowing that I can never get those top 500 rewards ever, like, can anyone other that semi/pro teams get close there even? I want animated sprays, screw this.

cHinzo

Apparently the KOTH bug was reported on the PTR forum but they didn't acknowledge or fix it. Competitive is a total waste of time until it's fixed, hoping for a hotfix today.

Yeah, also the useless reconnect which still give you an insta-loss. The PTR seems kinda useless so far.

D.Va

Neo Member
How do you gain this season points for the gold weapons? Winning 300 games?

Yep, 1 competitive point = 1 win
Losses give you nothing

Competitive matches from reading the thread are way longer

You do get a certain amount as bonus at the end of the season depending where you rank

If I'm remembering correctly, leveling up your rank number gives you a point, too.

On a more bitter and sour note, I was 2-5 today. Goodness. My teams put up a pretty good fight, though, so I'm not too angry about it. One game lasted 25 minutes. This is what I get for playing solo today.

ekim

I will ask here again:
So how are the ranks? 100 is best, 0 is worst? Everyone I'm seeing in my group is around 50-60 while I'm still at qualification matches. Do only wins count or can you also climb up when losing but playing very good?

I heard there is a limit of 50... is this the player lvl or the rank and what does this limit do?

I'm currently at 4W-3L in my qual. matches.

charsace

Competitive mode let's u see how shit the team u are on is. People so worried about k to d on offense that they don't push. I only got wins on offense in this mode when I flanked and hit the enemy from behind. I have played 7 comp games so far and in the 3 I have won I had to play pharah and flank on offense in order for my team to win because guys don't want to push.

Randoms treating this like COD are the worst.

fresquito

Has there been any work on fixing Sym's TP? I find them very counterintuitive.

The exit is place in the opposite place it should. It should be placed not in the direction you are aiming, but in your direction. I go to a corner and place the TP and people face the wall when they come out of the TP? I go to a hidden spot, place the TP and people get disoriented because what I should have done is go to the place, turn my back and place the TP.

It makes no sense to me.

The exit is place in the opposite place it should. It should be placed not in the direction you are aiming, but in your direction. I go to a corner and place the TP and people face the wall when they come out of the TP? I go to a hidden spot, place the TP and people get disoriented because what I should have done is go to the place, turn my back and place the TP.

It makes no sense to me.

Seems fine to me, although I had to have it pointed out that the teleporter outline actually shows the arrows indicating what way your team will be facing when they come out of it. Once you figure that out, though, it's easy enough to remember.

Plus, having it point the same way you're facing would only make it that much easier for Symmetra trolls to play their high-LARIOUS joke of pointing it off the edge of a cliff. At least make them work for it a little, I say.

Vitanimus

It makes no sense to me.

I think you have it backwards? when you're placing the teleporter, the arrows at the bottom indicate the direction which you'll exit the teleporter. if you're rotating such that the arrows face the wall instead, that would be disorientating.

Nothing more frustrating than emptying an entire clip with Reaper or Pharah on someone without killing him and looking like a complete noob in the process, especially if your target kills you first, ugh.

Are you sure that's not just lag?

You can identify this very easily in the kill cam. There's always a delay, but in some games can be very apparent. I tend to notice this very easily with Reaper or Genji, you're supposed to kill other characters quickly with Reaper, so when you waste a full clip on an enemy and you can't kill it, something is wrong (if the person who gave you the final blow is the one you were trying to kill you can see exactly where you were shooting... which is generally completely off the mark). With Genji is even easier to detect this, if you activate your reflect and still get killed by an enemy front of you, just to see the kill cam and verify that the deflect was never activated in the first place, then you're better off switching your character to someone else.

Fortunately this doesn't happen frequently in my experience.

Mupod

it's amazing how fast competitive mode killed my interest in the game. I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed if they hadn't lied about how matchmaking would work in it, full teams vs solo is not okay. Neither is penalizing you for your own team dropping out.

Would be nice if they put in something to actually get my friends playing again but everyone seems to have moved on or back to what they were playing before.

Does Zarya's Primary beam fire damage Reinhardt's shield? Or only her Alt fire grenades?

The alt fire orbs don't do a whole lot to the shield, but a fully charged laser can get it down pretty quickly. In general Reinhardt (with support) is a major problem for Zarya though.

Hyun Sai

Honestly, and as I thought, these 2 months of competitive will be like a beta test. I believe (one can hope) things will be me more fleshed out in season 2.

X-Frame

The alt fire orbs don't do a whole lot to the shield, but a fully charged laser can get it down pretty quickly. In general Reinhardt (with support) is a major problem for Zarya though.

Okay thanks -- I knew her laser didn't penetrate the shield like Winston or Symmetra, but wanted to at least be sure it did damage and better dps to the shield compared to the alt fire.

On a 10 game losing streak. Feels good man. Feels good. I figure I'll be rank 10 when the season ends.

I'm on a losing streak for the past week as well and don't know why. PS4 here so with no Ranked yet nothing should be different however I had been maintaining a 55% w/l with 95% solo play for the first month and it's been dropping down noticeably each day.

There do seem to be more games though we're we just slaughter the other team on the zone capture maps. Like taking Anubis A in 30 seconds then B in another 30 seconds.

I think people are realizing that is the ideal way to Attack those modes.

Zemm

What is the KOTH bug?

You get a significantly less amount of ranking points from KoTH maps in competitive (some people are also saying it affects quick play and you get less XP too, that maybe the game is only calculating the first round of a KoTH match), about 10% of a level from a win/loss. So if you only played KoTH it would be fine (but an incredible grind) but the fact you can win 3 games on KoTH and gain 30% of a ranking level then lose 1 game on a payload map and lose a full level is just bad.

LiK

The lack of Overwatch YT channels devoted to the console versions is pretty disappointing. But I guess that's how it is.

vypek

You get a significantly less amount of ranking points from KoTH maps in competitive (some people are also saying it affects quick play and you get less XP too, that maybe the game is only calculating the first round of a KoTH match), about 10% of a level from a win/loss. So if you only played KoTH it would be fine (but an incredible grind) but the fact you can win 3 games on KoTH and gain 30% of a ranking level then lose 1 game on a payload map and lose a full level is just bad.

wow that sounds pretty horrendous. I'm kind of surprised that the fix wasn't in the latest patch. Or did they hear the feedback about it to late to get it in?

SirKhalid

Damn, I just join a quick play game with 15 seconds left, 2 Symmetra on attack with 2 teleports that lead to their own death if people take it...

fresquito

Seems fine to me, although I had to have it pointed out that the teleporter outline actually shows the arrows indicating what way your team will be facing when they come out of it. Once you figure that out, though, it's easy enough to remember.

Plus, having it point the same way you're facing would only make it that much easier for Symmetra trolls to play their high-LARIOUS joke of pointing it off the edge of a cliff. At least make them work for it a little, I say.
It's easy to remember once you know, but it doesn't work like you think it'd do.

abundant

Had an absolutely insane match on Anubis last night. We went double Symmetra and had point B on lock down. I'm talking about 12 Symmetra turrets focused around the front opening and a Torb turret to the left of the opening. Anyone who came in through the front went down instantly and anyone who would try flanking was met with our double Symmetra charge, which melted them of course.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I refuse to do my placements until they fix KOTH, people are going 8-2 and getting level 44 apparently with unfortunate number of KOTH games.

Such a huge bug

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
God Pharmercy Weekly is goddamn fun
Can't stop going back to it

Getting that perfect Rocket to connect on a Floating Tailgating Mercy attached to a Pharah, so good seeing her fall to her death

Also hilarious I go DPS Mercy, fuck healing, Pew Pew with pistol and pick off healers and those jet pack Egyptian waifus

Amazing how many eliminations you get just shooting into the sky lol

You know you're doing your job and pissing off a player where they were getting killed by you to switch to the same class

Had Zenyatta swap to a Reaper and that gave the other team 0 support and removed Discord off the board, Hilarious outcome then, my team just decimated them
Discord was hurting D.Va big time

Finalow

finished 5 - 5, got placed at 52. was expecting something a bit higher but whatever, it's fine.

then I lost my next match, instantly went back to 51. now fuck that

grendelrt

finished 5 - 5, got placed at 52. was expecting something a bit higher but whatever, it's fine.

then I lost my next match, instantly went back to 51. now fuck that

Losing an entire level for a single loss in nuts, especially when not everyone has a premade group to play with. You can hit a string of losses in this game just because of getting matchmade with people who dont want to play the objective.

The KotH bug is annoying because my group of six yesterday were blowing up KotH but struggling with the payload games we got.

I think there's some problem with how it's recording/tracking your performance, because the stat-tracker sites didn't record my KotH games from last night properly — including saying I had 15 total dragonblade kills but 0 total dragonblades in my one Genji game, which is a neat trick.

Misha

Banned
had a guy try to convince me that playing as lucio was an automatic loss. wat.

don't think i'm going to play much competitive after placement. just can't see being good enough to place above the idiots

Zemm

I refuse to do my placements until they fix KOTH, people are going 8-2 and getting level 44 apparently with unfortunate number of KOTH games.

Such a huge bug

Pretty sure I got fucked by this because I definitely won more on KoTH than I did on Payload/2CP, and I know for a fact Gwyn did because there's no fucking way he should have started off at 45. That's just laughably inaccurate.

BadRNG

I really feel that anyone complaining about hero stacking is just looking at the problem wrong. The problem isn't stacking, the problem is you have shitty teammates who don't cooperate. Removing stacking won't make that problem go away.
Everything you said is correct, but there is a caveat; what is easier, getting your teammates to not be bad and cooperate or removing stacking? You could easily still lose even without the stacking if the team is bad, but at least there is a bigger chance of victory as you do not need a specific group comp to counter the cheese anymore.

In this light I don't blame people for pushing a hero limit. Personally I've had a lot of fun both using stacks and playing against them, but it can be frustrating at times.

I really wish it wasn't allowed for sudden death, for instance. A tank rush comp on offense is really damn hard to stop without a specific set up, and it's not like you can change comp mid-game in that setting as the match is over so quick. Sudden death in general is pretty crap though so that's not entirely hero limit related I suppose.

RE: Frustration with ranks as a solo-queuer:

So I have some measure of experience with systems like this, having spent a lot of time playing (of all things) Magic: The Gathering Online. MTGO uses a traditional ELO system to rank players. You typically see rankings from 1500 on the very low end to 1900 on the super-elite. In general, 1650 is about average, 1700 is above average, 1750 is good, 1800 is great, and 1850+ are the masters of the game. 1900 is considered god-like and generally unsustainable for long periods of time.

Now, if you've ever played Magic, you know that there is a lot of luck (we like to call it "variance") in the game. I would venture to say that the outcome of 20% of all games (not matches) of Magic are determined by factors other than the player's skill level at the table (bad matchups in terms of deck construction, you drawing poorly, the other guy just having "the nut draw," etc). The community accepts this - but it means that ELO is a very poor "in the moment" representation of your actual skill level. What you learn to understand over time is that your rating at any given moment is "orbiting" your actual rating. It will climb higher than you deserve if you get a string of free wins, or sink lower than you deserve if you get a string of bad beats.

I've applied the same mental model to this game as a solo-queuer. I fully expect to see significant fluctuations in my competitive rating based on factors outside of my control (i.e., team composition). And I'm okay with that - I wouldn't be queuing competitive if I wasn't prepared to see that. What I hope to see is the overall trend improving over time, because that means that I'm achieving my goal of getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom