• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The face of evil

hqdefault.jpg

Okay guys so over at the battle.net forums they're aware of the issue for Xbox and looking into it.

Edit: There's an update message displaying on the login screen now it seems.

What was your W/L? I got 50 with a 7/3, so I'm wondering how or if it scales with W/L ratio as a base, then adds personal efforts / team contribution to the MMR calibration.

So I haven't been following this thread all that closely recently, and maybe I missed somewhere where they disproved this. But why is everyone focusing so much on W/L ratio? I could have sworn that your W/L record, independent of any context, basically meant nothing in the placement matches. i.e. if you play 10 matches and win them all, but they're against shitty teams, you shouldn't suddenly expect to be rank 100 just because you steamrolled everyone, and if you lost all your placement matches you could still be rank 60 if all the teams you played were basically pro teams.

I'm not specifically singling you or this comment out, but people keep asking about W/L records when it comes to figuring out why they have the rank they have, and it feels like either I missed a memo somewhere or everyone else has the wrong idea about how the placement matches are supposed to work. Usually, if it seems like everyone else is wrong, that means I'm the one who's wrong, so if there's a better explanation for how rank is determined I'm totally happy to be 100% wrong here.

I drop 4 people on the point on last stand 2 point hanamura thinking that we could make it back and contest

then i see junkrat running back to point b.

kill me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got POTG as Mei on a losing game with the most delusional Hanzo on the planet. Killing the Zenyatta right beside him as he continues to fire his arrow. I even pepper him with spray, thinking I gave away my position, go back around, and he never stopped aiming at the Payload so I just freeze him and kill him too.

Soma

so i introduced this game to my cousin last week and he's already clocked 25 hours... as Genji. No one else.

Should I like say something to encourage to try other characters or should I just let him carry on his merry ways? I guess he does pretty decent with him in any case lol.

I'm in love with Zarya on PC. Holy sshiit

Yeah, I just did great with her on my competitive matches. She's very much a character that depends on timing and watching your cooldowns, but as long as you're not the only character willing to charge onto the front lines (ideally you have another tank on your squad to pop bubbles onto), you'll be up to 100% charge and melting fools in no time. I had one match where me and a Lucio were tag-teaming the front lines and it was so damn satisfying.

So, potentially stupid question for folks: do you have to have a headset enabled to hear in-game voice chat from your team? Because if so, I swear that in all the matches I've played solo I've never heard anyone with a headset. Even bought a headset of my own so that I could try to help contribute when I started competitive, but I never heard anyone talking either with or without the headset.

LiK

so i introduced this game to my cousin last week and he's already clocked 25 hours... as Genji. No one else.

Should I like say something to encourage to try other characters or should I just let him carry on his merry ways? I guess he does pretty decent with him in any case lol.

Let him enjoy what he wants

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

When he gets countered hard with Symmetra, Aggressive Torb with nice turret, or Winston, then what?

You'll need to learn Reaper and Tracer then
If they counter, then what

Kiro

Honestly, I know there are purists that say playing numerous characters is the point of the game. But let your cousin have fun how he wants to have fun. That's the point of any video game. If he wants to branch out, he will on his own time.

Zemm

Yeah zarya is great with a little bit of support, people seem to have figured that out now because she's in literally every single match I've been in. The nerf of McCree meant the rise of double tanks and Reapers to kill those tanks, in almost every game. Hakuna Matata.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah zarya is great with a little bit of support, people seem to have figured that out now because she's in literally every single match I've been in. The nerf of McCree meant the rise of double tanks and Reapers to kill those tanks, in almost every game. Hakuna Matata.

Yeah, I see Zarya in practically every single game now

Double tanks has always been very popular. A little bit less reinhardts now at least.

Call me elitist, but nothing has convinced me that anyone who starts the game as Genji or Torbjorn isn't a complete waste of a teamslot. Win rate was 85% before two back to back games with Genji + Torbjorn as our 2 pickups.

Some people tried to double Zarya us. We just double Soldier'd them.

Firestorm

If Blizzard wanted solo players to play Competitive Mode, then they should've had two separate modes - One for solo and another for groups. Yes, it means longer queue times but it fixes the issue of having randoms vs. a pre made team.

It currently matches same sized groups and fills the rest with solo players. Neither team is at a disadvantage.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is there anything more satisfying than denying Ults with defense matrix? McCree, Pharah, Reaper....

Hooking Pharah during her ult. Icewalling 76, McCree and Reapers ult

Being in turret form as Bastion in a gravity well and sending that pixie haircut to Hell

abundant

It currently matches same sized groups and fills the rest with solo players. Neither team is at a disadvantage.

It doesn't do that all of the time. If MMR has trouble finding same sized groups, then it starts adding solo players. Just today, we saw Seagull's group get paired up with a bunch of solo players.

So I haven't been following this thread all that closely recently, and maybe I missed somewhere where they disproved this. But why is everyone focusing so much on W/L ratio? I could have sworn that your W/L record, independent of any context, basically meant nothing in the placement matches. i.e. if you play 10 matches and win them all, but they're against shitty teams, you shouldn't suddenly expect to be rank 100 just because you steamrolled everyone, and if you lost all your placement matches you could still be rank 60 if all the teams you played were basically pro teams.

I'm not specifically singling you or this comment out, but people keep asking about W/L records when it comes to figuring out why they have the rank they have, and it feels like either I missed a memo somewhere or everyone else has the wrong idea about how the placement matches are supposed to work. Usually, if it seems like everyone else is wrong, that means I'm the one who's wrong, so if there's a better explanation for how rank is determined I'm totally happy to be 100% wrong here.

No, that's exactly why I've been wondering.

Dota 2 only takes win / loss into account for MMR in ranked matches, outside of calibration. During calibration it's different, but Valve won't tell us how (outside of bugs that they report being fixed due to abuses like the patch where hero damage played a heavy role in your calibration MMR)

Now Overwatch is telling us it's not just your Win/Loss that counts for MMR, but they don't tell us anything beyond that. So I've been asking as a curiosity, really. Just confirming that it's not just W/L that counts for the initial calibration.

Dota 2 also has an MMR cap for calibration, and I'm wondering if OW does too. My brother didn't recalibrate with the new feature Valve added because he's 4K MMR and he can only max out at 4.5K MMR, so it's not worth it for him to play 10 matches to calibrate unless he gets more than the 250 or so MMR he'd get if he won every match outside of calibration.

For me, I'm a 2K player so I recalibrated and gained about 400 MMR, even after going 6-4 for my new calibration matches. But it shows your team's average MMR in the pick phase and I was for the last half of those matches playing with 3 and 4K players, which was like night and day from my 2K matches.

I'm just a huge stats nerd. I wish Valve and Blizzard would document this stuff for us, but I know that means it'll get abused / MinMaxed. So we kind of have to find it out ourselves.

Permanently A

Yeah, you're on the right side of the bell curve.

I'm at the middle, got exactly 50 after my 7-3 run.

I feel if I didn't end up supporting as much I would've been a bit higher, because the matches I got to play Zarya / Bastion / Pharah I was on fire.

Ah well, ready to start working toward those golden guns.

Once a match starts I don't think they let people join in, but if someone leaves at the pick / setup phase it gives them 20 seconds to reconnect or it kicks everyone out.

Oh yeah? Strange I got 56 and had identical record, 7-3

I didn't play particularly good or anything either. Would really be interested in knowing how they calculate this stuff

Firestorm

It doesn't do that all of the time. If MMR has trouble finding same sized groups, then it starts adding solo players. Just today, we saw Seagull's group get paired up with a bunch of solo players.
Yep gets to a problem at the highest MMR but for the majority of people complaining about groups this isn't an issue.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Oh yeah? Strange I got 56 and had identical record, 7-3

I didn't play particularly good or anything either. Would really be interested in knowing how they calculate this stuff

It depends on the number of KOTH games you had in your placements, they are bugged and worth less.

X-Frame

And I'm in love with her on PS4. She's perfect for solo queue.

Sony, please, release this stupid patch already...

Same, she's my most played and I was not expecting that when I bought the game. I was thinking Reinhardt, who is up there, but he can't carry like Zarya can.

cakely

So, potentially stupid question for folks: do you have to have a headset enabled to hear in-game voice chat from your team? Because if so, I swear that in all the matches I've played solo I've never heard anyone with a headset. Even bought a headset of my own so that I could try to help contribute when I started competitive, but I never heard anyone talking either with or without the headset.

I think you have to go into audio settings and turn team voice chat on. There's another setting for party chat.

Myself, I just use Discord, and I assume that's what everyone else is doing.

abundant

Yep gets to a problem at the highest MMR but for the majority of people complaining about groups this isn't an issue.

We will know for sure how wide spread this problem really is soon enough, since Competitive Mode doesn't hide the fact that you're in a pre made team. I'm sure if there is an issue, Blizzard will try to fix it in Season 2.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Holy fuck, quick play solo is even worse now that competitive is out. I didn't think there would or could be players this bad.

Quick Play is now there to dick around with heroes you aren't familiar with or experiment with unconventional strategies. If you want to tryhard, play competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom