• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, last match I as hanzo, got gold in elims, and regularly am around the point to defend it, but my team keeps on dying around me, is it my hanzo's fault?

yes
jk

i occasionally play with this one guy who constantly bitches at other teammates for who they picked. its always "can u switch you're not doing shit with that character" but i carried him to a 45, and in the few days i havent played with him he dropped nearly 10 levels.

blows my mind how some people just always have to blame their teammates.

Grief.exe

Widow and junk aren't going to do too hot either.

Which is why I'm saying that blizzard needs a serious look at the defense class.

Soldier will see a decline too since he got slightly nerfed plus the return of Mcree for long range damage.
Reaper will see a slight decline since he counters Roadhog who will see a slight decline since Anna/Mcree provide Stun capability and seem to heavily influence the meta.

I will argue that it's impossible for Blizzard to make every character viable in the meta. In competitive games, some strategies are going to inevitably end up objectively worse. that doesn't mean those classes won't be used in quick play for fun. For example, Bastion/Torb/Mei are completely useless against skilled and coordinated teams, but you still see them played consistently in quick play.

What's happening with Bastion?

And what's happening with Soldier?

Nothing is happening to Bastion. He's just a mediocre pick.

Soldier got a slight nerf in that you can't easily maintain 100% accuracy on PC anymore. I believe he may have had some other tweaks, but that was the large one.

Rad-

So they really are going to stick with the McCree buff huh? It's funny, I was watching Gods stream and he thought it's a joke if the buff sticks with how powerful he is now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
76 will still have his spot with no hero stacking. His abilities are too useful.
So they really are going to stick with the McCree buff huh? It's funny, I was watching Gods stream and he thought it's a joke if the buff sticks with how powerful he is now.

He's not that much more powerful. He just has longer range.

Kamion

I'm in the same range (41-42), but I think our definition of underdog may be different in this case. I'm regularly getting stuck with teams that are getting annihilated. I'd much rather be on the better team and occasional lose to the underdog than what I'm currently getting much of the time.

I'm talking about the ingame definition. Like if your team is an average of 39 and the other team has an average of 38 they are labeled as the "Underdog". Losing to them makes you lose more rank, winning against them gains you less rank because you were "favoured to win" anyway.

Which is bullshit in this range because rank means nothing :(

Rad-

76 will still have his spot with no hero stacking. His abilities are too useful.

He's not that much more powerful. He just has longer range.

That range is pretty huge though. There's a video showcasing it and it's pretty much full damage against every range except Widowmaker range.

SDCowboy

Man, I'm getting stuck with Toblerones on attack and not making turrets...some guy spewing our team plan out in general chat instead of team, some guy apologizing because he had to fix his graphics settings during the match...People picking widow on close range attack maps, etc...this is the kind of nonsense I'm getting grouped with. I don't know how many more blowouts in competitive I can stomach.

maouvin

PTR server (at least the LATAM one) is the dream. Everyone using english, no harassing, people from the other team still say hello back to you at spawn door. It almost feels like launch, but with people already knowing their shit.
New DVa is awesome too.

Apparently OW doesn't like 3x res screenshots on borderless windowed since I got this.

Anyway, that was a nice lv70 gift, thanks game. Duplicate skin, spray, worst legendary in the game, duplicate skin.

Those look super sick tho

Pooya

I think soldier is ok still but why play him when you can play Mccree or Zen even now. What he has over them is mobility but far less damage, it's not good enough.

pharah is done though, rip.

Grief.exe

I think soldier is ok still but why play him when you can play Mccree or Zen even now. What he has over them is mobility but far less damage, it's not good enough.

I agree. Mcree/Zen going to take Soldiers place in the meta.

I wonder if we will see increased back line harass play like genji/tracer to compensate for all these mid-range additions to the meta (Mcree/Ana/Zen)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Decent AOE heal/Burst cooldown and the fact that his ult is on demand as opposed to McCree's ult that is a scare tactic at best nowadays.

It also depends entirely on where Zen is when PTR ends.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, I'm getting stuck with Toblerones on attack and not making turrets...some guy spewing our team plan out in general chat instead of team, some guy apologizing because he had to fix his graphics settings during the match...People picking widow on close range attack maps, etc...this is the kind of nonsense I'm getting grouped with. I don't know how many more blowouts in competitive I can stomach.

Funny enough rank doesn't seem to ever change this. Still see koth symmetra's and attacking torb's in the 60s.

Grief.exe

Decent AOE heal/Burst cooldown and the fact that his ult is on demand as opposed to McCree's ult that is a scare tactic at best nowadays.

It also depends entirely on where Zen is when PTR ends.

I'm under the impression that three very powerful classes are currently forcing their way into he meta game that essentially didn't exist in the meta a week before.

Some classes are going to get squeezed out, and soldier seems like a prime possibility since Mcree/Ana/Zen are all solid mid/long range damage and, at least the latter two, bring more utility.

Chance

I just don't know how to deal with a good Zarya...

Part of Zarya's toolkit is mind games, because her shield is essentially a parry - is her shield on cooldown? Should I shoot? I don't know if I should shoot!

The answer is usually yes, shoot her. The more the better.

Zemm

There's so little difference in skill/awareness between 50-70. I've seen Hanzo mains in the high 60's, I've seen a guy who literally only plays Tjorborn no matter the map and was rank 68. Forsen is rank 78 and I don't think he's great either. The ranking system is weird, I can't really figure it out.

edit: The Torb is rank 80 now - https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Torbjörn-11130

Up 2 to nothing on KOTH, guy on our team leaves leaving us down 5-6. Ugh. This is fucking bullshit.

Edit: Then right as I post this, a guy on the other team leaves and makes it 5-5, then we end up winning 3-1. Welp. That teaches me about complaining.

CoLaN

1 meter away from the end with the payload. Enemies cleared, 3 of my team going around. They didn't go near the payload and waited for the whole enemy team to spawn.

Papercuts

I just realized through all the streams I've been watching I haven't seen a single Ana PotG, has anyone else?

She seems to fall in the Zarya trap of her ult giving others the play, but not getting credit. Though Zarya can still solo a team with hers at times with high energy.

Cade

I just realized through all the streams I've been watching I haven't seen a single Ana PotG, has anyone else?

She seems to fall in the Zarya trap of her ult giving others the play, but not getting credit. Though Zarya can still solo a team with hers at times with high energy.

I got one once, but for a super lame double elimination or something.

I really feel like the game should have co-POTGs for certain situations where Ults stack well or a support allows an offensive character to make a serious play. You could have the highlight intros contrast each other with a divide or something. That way characters who almost never get a POTG can earn them.

hydruxo

There's so little difference in skill/awareness between 50-70. I've seen Hanzo mains in the high 60's, I've seen a guy who literally only plays Tjorborn no matter the map and was rank 68. Forsen is rank 78 and I don't think he's great either. The ranking system is weird, I can't really figure it out.

edit: The Torb is rank 80 now - https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Torbjörn-11130

Lol his name is even Torbjorn and he's played 5 days of Torb. Insane.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've seen a dude in game with the name bnet genjishimada. Guess who he played?

Bonus points: guess the other hero he played and absolutely no one else

I agree. Mcree/Zen going to take Soldiers place in the meta.

I wonder if we will see increased back line harass play like genji/tracer to compensate for all these mid-range additions to the meta (Mcree/Ana/Zen)

I could see Genji/Tracer moving past Pharah now. I mean what's the point since McCree/Zen is just going to shoot her out the sky.

rrs

I saw a Zarya get potg for popping an ult and killing two players trapped in it today
I've seen a dude in game with the name bnet genjishimada. Guess who he played?

Bonus points: guess the other hero he played and absolutely no one else

Winston and Reaper

Soulflarz

Banned
Why are most reapers godawful

I main reaper and even I make the joke "They have a reaper? Oh man, free kill. Just watch out for the mediocre use of a die die die that might offhand get you!"

Why are most reapers godawful

I main reaper and even I make the joke "They have a reaper? Oh man, free kill. Just watch out for the mediocre use of a die die die that might offhand get you!"

I'm not that great of a reaper and I've seen even some absurdly bad ones. Like who the hell thinks teleporting in front of the enemy's reinhardt with the team behind him is a good idea. And do it repeatedly.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm not that great of a reaper and I've seen even some absurdly bad ones. Like who the hell thinks teleporting in front of the enemy's reinhardt with the team behind him is a good idea. And do it repeatedly.

Yep. I'm happy I got into the 60s as a reaper only, but....bleh

I hate most people who play my character. They teleport and phase at bad times and don't know how to properly flank. They might mildly annoy me, but it's never them doing what myself/my friends can do- it's never a "wow, 4-5 on a die die die, nice!" or "you flanked them and got the bastion and mercy and now you're onto the next two? Okay"

Reaper dies fast but can make a huge difference if you flank. I think people just don't know how to properly flank.

patchday

#39 Loot box gave me this:
IfKgQct.jpg

and when I hit L40 I got enough gold to put me over 1000 coins. Now I can finally buy a Lengedary. Took 40 loot boxes, but I am finally here. Man I want mecha Pharah, young genji, and young hanzo. cant choose......

[edit] Btw, I already had 2 other Legendary skins (Winston explorer & Symmetra-Architect) that I received from loot boxes. But now I finally get to choose the actual skin I want to buy

psyfi

Banned
I don't know what's up, but over the past week a lot of people I play with have been getting confused about the sound cues for team ults vs. the sound cues for enemy ults. Like, when a Soldier says "I have you in my sights" they ask if it's coming from the enemy team or ours. These are people who're at least level 60 and rank 50. It's really weird.

Learn the sound cues, yall.

I really feel like the game should have co-POTGs for certain situations where Ults stack well or a support allows an offensive character to make a serious play. You could have the highlight intros contrast each other with a divide or something. That way characters who almost never get a POTG can earn them.
Ah man, that'd be great. Bonus points for duo-specific animations beforehand, too.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Also is it just me or is Genji's ult way too fast ready? it's incredible strong so i feel like it should take a bit longer to 100%.

matmanx1

Like many of you, I am a day one PC player. Even though I have friends on the PS4 who play (more on that in a minute), I really prefer the PC for any kind of FPS.

Lately I've been wanting to re-connect with some of the folks that I used to play Destiny with so I used some PSN credit last night and bought a digital copy of Overwatch. Wow, what a different experience than I am used to.

Right away I turned off all aim-assist in the options and adjusted my sensitivity but even then it felt like playing the game in slow motion. Before the night was over I was pulling off rocket hits and head shots with Soldier 76 so it's not as if it is difficult to control, it's just not as direct as using the mouse and it feels like several layers of fluff have been added between me and the character I am controlling.

And then there were the turrets. I can now see why people complain about turrets on the consoles. One of my friends used Torb on a KoTH match and pretty much dominated for a couple of rounds and then switched to Bastion and did equally well. Symmetra on attack? Sure, why not! Her little turrets live a lot longer than they do on the PC!

I think it's not only the control issue but an awareness issue. For some reason, even with rumble enabled I had a hard time sensing where the damage was coming from on the PS4 than I do on the PC where it's pretty much instantaneous. That might be just me though.

Overall it was a surreal experience. It was like I was playing the same game (and it's still alot of fun) but yet a very different one at the same time.

Long story short, if you've only played one version up til now, be it console or PC, see if you can't go experience it the other way for a little while. It's definitely eye opening and I don't envy Blizzard having to balance the game for both platforms.

Parting thoughts: I just played a game as Zenyatta on the PTR where I got play of the game for completely nullifying a Reaper ult in the middle of our defense point with Zen's ult and then quickly following it up with a couple of kills. Others have said it before now but Zen is very strong and I am loving the new speed of his ult.

psyfi

Banned
Also is it just me or is Genji's ult way too fast ready? it's incredible strong so i feel like it should take a bit longer to 100%.
A well timed Lucio ult can totally/mostly counter it. Feels balanced enough to me, but I often play Lucio.

Also, I'm terrrrrible at using Genji's ult myself. Anyone have any tips on that? Do you just zip around and mash the attack button? I have a hard time tracking enemies when I'm right up in their face. Sometimes I overshoot the dash attack, then sometimes I hear/see the death notification but get confused about whether it's the person I just attacked or someone else I damaged a little bit earlier, etc. I'm just terrible with it. I love Genji otherwise tho.

Soulflarz

Banned
I've played both PC and PS4

I mainly play PS4, and am getting rather sick of the constant "oh but you play on console so ____" statements, it's like we're back in the shitty 'master race' jokes unending era of battlefield.

Console has an issue of most people going to characters who aren't taking as much effort. Maybe it's a skill related thing, maybe it's a different group playing on consoles. All I know is it's a rare sight to see a notable Pharah or especially widowmaker.

That being said, the game is still the same, and the "limitations" are the same for every player, so the comment do get dull after you hear them 100x.

(Not saying in here, just in general I still see them in chatrooms constantly)

Papercuts

A well timed Lucio ult can totally/mostly counter it. Feels balanced enough to me, but I often play Lucio.

Also, I'm terrrrrible at using Genji's ult myself. Anyone have any tips on that? Do you just zip around and mash the attack button? I have a hard time tracking enemies when I'm right up in their face. Sometimes I overshoot the dash attack, then sometimes I hear/see the death notification but get confused about whether it's the person I just attacked or someone else I damaged a little bit earlier, etc. I'm just terrible with it. I love Genji otherwise tho.

The sword has a massive hitbox so yeah, just keep swinging. The biggest thing to know is, same as normal Genji, his swift strike cooldown instantly resets when someone dies so you can move around a lot more. It doesn't matter if you got the killing blow or damaged them earlier, it'll reset it.

All these Zenyatta Buff impressions.

rejoice.png
rejoice.png
rejoice.png

My boys time has come.

Also plz dont nerf Genji he already gets countered by most heroes. I mean on ps4 i counter his Ult with a Trance saving my team as well come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom