• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

Why is there always a Hanzo, everywhere, in every map, in every team, no matter if it's attack or defense. WHY WHY WHY

SDCowboy

I'd rather be the underdog. Because I am rank 41-42 right now and people are shit no matter if their average is 39 or 38. It literally does not matter at all.

So most of the time I get really penalized for losing against the Underdog (who in reality played better)

I'm in the same range (41-42), but I think our definition of underdog may be different in this case. I'm regularly getting stuck with teams that are getting annihilated. I'd much rather be on the better team and occasional lose to the underdog than what I'm currently getting much of the time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, last match I as hanzo, got gold in elims, and regularly am around the point to defend it, but my team keeps on dying around me, is it my hanzo's fault?

SDCowboy

I dunno, last match I as hanzo, got gold in elims, and regularly am around the point to defend it, but my team keeps on dying around me, is it my hanzo's fault?

Yeah that's always fun when you play as one of the heroes people like to hate on, and then they inexplicably blame you for the team sucking. lol

Antiwhippy

I also did get potg with my ult, but it was against a group that's on the defense point, so, probably how you should be using it

Not really, but you're not exactly doing your team any favours by playing him in a situation where you need to be in close range.

Just ran into 6 Torbs on Dorado attack, pure Ebola. Also is anyone else finding that if you queue solo it will never spilt groups of 2/3 and always put them on the same (generally opposing) team? It's hard enough as is queuing solo without it constantly being stacked against you

SDCowboy

Not really, but you're not exactly doing your team any favours by playing him in a situation where you need to be in close range.

But sometimes you're already playing as that hero. It's not like you can just instantly change on the fly. Sometimes there will be idiot teammates that yell at someone for being a class that doesn't help the immediate situation that just sprung up. Like, someone you can just hit H anywhere on the map and switch. lol

But sometimes you're already playing as that hero. It's not like you can just instantly change on the fly. Sometimes there will be idiot teammates that yell at someone for being a class that doesn't help the immediate situation that just sprung up. Like, someone you can just hit H anywhere on the map and switch. lol
Oh sure, there's always dickheads who will second guess situational picks without thinking.

SDCowboy

It's getting to the point where there are just a handful of heroes that are seen as socially acceptable to be playing as. It's sad.

Antiwhippy

I mean I was attacking midrange most of the time. Scatter is pretty dang powerful in close though.

I dunno, hanzo can do work.

SDCowboy

I mean I was attacking midrange most of the time. Scatter is pretty dang powerful in close though.

I dunno, hanzo can do work.

Yeah if I'm on a decent team, I can go pretty ham as Hanzo. Even at close range. When it goes south with him though is if your entire team suddenly dies and it's just you against them. :p

Anne

My favorite thing about Roadhog is being able to grab all five gold medals.

Kinda bummed that he's getting the indirect nerf with the next patch.

Probably a good thing. In hero limit comps he's actually in a weird spot where he can just randomly end games.

Kito

I just beat a Zarya on Hanamura alone as Mercy.

I don't know if I'm too good or that guy didn't know how to play Zarya, probably the latter.

Welcome to the battle Mercy club. We don't let anyone walk over us.

I was healing with Ana in PTR when 2 McCrees kept giving me grief, so I switched to Mercy and soloed them with pistol + melee whenever either got close. In Sym's words, KNOW YOUR PLACE.

Antiwhippy

Welcome to the battle Mercy club. We don't let anyone walk over us.

I was healing with Ana in PTR when 2 McCrees kept giving me grief, so I switched to Mercy and soloed them with pistol + melee whenever either got close. In Sym's words, KNOW YOUR PLACE.

That just means you were fighting 2 pretty bad mccree if they got close and couldn't seal the deal.

SDCowboy

I'm hoping that sometime, even if just by the laws of chance, I start getting put on some teams that can compete and maybe even win. :p

I'm hoping that sometime, even if just by the laws of chance, I start getting put on some teams that can compete and maybe even win. :p

It's feast or famine with no in between. So frustrating as even a scrubby group but all on mic increase there chances of winning by 100%

So this happened...
https://clips.twitch.tv/lassiz/OddTapirMingLee (warning: loud)

No lies detected with that Roadhog hook hit detection. I've been hooked many times when I was hidden from the Roadhhog's view. And he's right about it getting much less vitriol than Hanzo's arrows.

Probably because it's much harder to kill and generally be competent as Roadhog than it is with Hanzo, and Roadhog also is played a lot less overall, at least in Quick Play etc.

SDCowboy

It's feast or famine with no in between. So frustrating as even a scrubby group but all on mic increase there chances of winning by 100%

And just like that, it finally happened. I was on the dominant team and we obliterated them (I even got four golds). What is this feeling? T T

A good roadhog fucking destroys in a way that Hanzo can only wish.

...okay? I'm not sure how this relates to what I said? Because I said it's harder to reliably kill and generally be competent as Roadhog than it is as Hanzo. That has nothing to do with what a good Roadhog or Hanzo can do.

Pooya

40-50 SR is very bad, the system doesn't work. There is a huge variance in players competency that the game has failed to recognize and instead put everyone together, it's generally stomp or get stomped.

...okay? I'm not sure how this relates to what I said? I said it's harder to reliably kill and generally be competent as Roadhog than it is as Hanzo. I never was talking about "a good X".

no? It's quite easy to be effective with Roadhog, most Hanzo's can't hit anything even with those broken hitboxes, you might as well play 5v6. Roadhog's presence alone is a threat.

Antiwhippy

...okay? I'm not sure how this relates to what I said? Because I said it's harder to reliably kill and generally be competent as Roadhog than it is as Hanzo. That has nothing to do with what a good Roadhog or Hanzo can do.

Is it? I find both at around the same difficulty level honestly.

Like, i know Hanzo being easy is a meme but he really isn't. Which is why people rage at having bad Hanzos.

Roadhog isn't all that hard either.

no? It's quite easy to be effective with Roadhog, most Hanzo's can't hit anything, you might as well play 5v6.

To kill reliably as Hanzo pretty much all you have to do is shoot blind arrows at a chokepoint or objective where the enemy team is bunching up at. You're bound to get a few headshots.
To kill reliably as Roadhog you have to land the hook, and for beefier characters either land a headshot or at least know how to do the shot to melee combo quickly enough.

Hanzo is a mid-range skirmisher who does really well when in the middle of a big team fight. And even if go for a sniper approach, it's easy to find decent sniping locations.
For Roadhog, you need to know the maps quite well because you need to know where you can flank the enemy teams from.

These 2 aspects alone make Roadhog a much more difficult character to play than Hanzo. Furthermore, thanks to Roadhog's massive health, getting killed as him gives the enemy team more ult charge than dying as Hanzo would. So if you have an incompetent Hanzo, it's a lot less impacting the enemy team's performance because they only get a third of the progress towards an ult bar than they would if you had a bad Roadhog (and that's assuming he straight up dies without healing).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
A single skill on cooldown is easier to bear over the normal attack of another hero. Hanzo has zero reason to not just constantly have his moves on cooldown, and with his projectile attacks he's pretty encouraged to be spammy--prefire corners, scatter edges and floors, etc. You can be more methodical with him and do well but those random log headshots happen a lot in a single game by nature of his kit.

Roadhog on the other hand isn't gonna be hooking a corner hoping someone pops up, so the amount of times those funky wall hooks happen are way less frequent which is why I imagine most people don't get too frustrated when it happens.

...plus Roadhog's hook can be funky but it also can be in a way that actually fucks him over. The amount of clean hits I've gotten on a Lucio or a Genji only for them to phase out of the dimension and tear open space time behind or to my side right into a getaway are pretty crazy.

Antiwhippy

Those random corner headshots don't occur as frequently as one might think. Also scatter arrow is too precious to be fired off willy nilly. If that doesn't guarantee you a kill you've wasted it. Seriously.

SDCowboy

40-50 SR is very bad, the system doesn't work. There is a huge variance in players competency that the game has failed to recognize and instead put everyone together, it's generally stomp or get stomped.

Yep. Just got completely steamrolled again. Both the ranking system and matchmaking is completely fucked currently, IMO. The matches should not be this consistently lopsided.

Prelude.

Apparently OW doesn't like 3x res screenshots on borderless windowed since I got this.

H1eSCIS.jpg

Anyway, that was a nice lv70 gift, thanks game. Duplicate skin, spray, worst legendary in the game, duplicate skin.

Antiwhippy

Apparently OW doesn't like 3x res screenshots on borderless windowed since I got this.

Anyway, that was a nice lv70 gift, thanks game. Duplicate skin, spray, worst legendary in the game, duplicate skin.

The game was just trying to save you from the horror that is zarya goth.

Grief.exe

Yeah if I'm on a decent team, I can go pretty ham as Hanzo. Even at close range. When it goes south with him though is if your entire team suddenly dies and it's just you against them. :p

Mei/hanzo/Torb/Bastion going to be at the bottom of the comp tier list, Mcree/Zen going to be boosted to the top with D.Va getting a nice boost too.

Antiwhippy

Mei/hanzo/Torb/Bastion going to be at the bottom of the comp tier list, Mcree/Zen going to be boosted to the top with D.Va getting a nice boost too.

Widow and junk aren't going to do too hot either.

Which is why I'm saying that blizzard needs a serious look at the defense class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom