• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
yup. Unless she catches you while you're setting 'er up, a lvl2 turret vs Pharah 1v1 = Torb wins, every time.

depends on the situation, but pharah's only problem with torb is if she's just flying around not worrying about the world, and this also doesnt change the fact that even with those problems, she still has the best option of taking out the sentry gun, and in easily another new one the Torb may build.

Torb is not a hard counter to Pharah at all. Even on console. I play ridiculous amounts of torb, he may be the one that gives the most problems, but Pharah is literally designed to destroy turrents very easily, easier then practically every other class. And it's all invalidated anyway if you have any type of healer who can merely heal you through the sentry gun damage (which basically every team on earth will run a Pharah, Lucio or Zenyatta)

Meanwhile, he hard counters, AKA McCree, Widowmaker and Hanzo all cant aim at all on console and can barely do anything at all to Pharah, meanwhile, Pharah basically doesnt have to aim that well due to splash damage.

Ana seems like the new Hanzo atm. Atleast when Hanzo hits, they do a lot of dmg but Anna does puny dmg and most barely see you to heal since they're just playing like a sniper.

Azoor

My friend, TF2-GAF regular FatCatAttack made an excellent post that he wanted to share with GAF about his opinions on Hanzo, projectile hitboxes, and issues with balancing due to the tight range of damage values among other factors. It's long, but very much worth the read:

He'd love to hear what you think, and I think his points make for the basis of an interesting discussion.

It's a pretty interesting piece, Hanzo's damage and projectile hitbox is something that Blizzard needs to deal with otherwise that character could have abeen even weirder spot in the future when all the new characters are released.

That feeder part really is an insightful observation, never thought of that before.

duckroll

This patch is pretty glorious. New hero, Hanzo nerf, Dva buff, McCree buff, Zenyatta buff, more Overtime fixes (aka Tracer nerf). Good times.

Jarate

Banned
I'd hop on to ps4 to play Overwatch with everyone, but I dont have any of my adhd meds on me, and I play like absolute ass without them :p

Belfast

Torb is also a lot less effective on PC generally, but it can still work

biggest issue I think most orbs have is they stick to close to their gun at all times, a flanking torb can do so much damage on random headshots and shotgun blasts, you can 1 shot tracers and Zenyattas with a shotgun blast.

I dont think the game reinforces the idea that you should not be worried about your sentry gun dying. His voice lines when his sentry die are way too emotional. You should be actively just shitting out as many sentires as you can, and hell, they are your escape option sometimes, along with throwing armor on the ground as you try to run away

Yep. Offensive torb basically requires you to crank out turrets. Once in awhile you'll get one in a good spot that wrecks the defending team if your team keeps them busy enough, but the rest of the time they are distractions. In either case, they are good for misdirecting the enemy so that you can slip around from another direction and headshot some fools.

if you're on the ground you're a bad Pharah, period ;P

That's not necessarily true.

It's just that knowing when to be on the ground is more important. There are plenty of maps with long narrow tunnels and hallways that rockets can keep fully locked down.

It's just that you need to have situational awareness at all times, and more so when on the ground.

Well, in my few matches before getting kicked out on PC due to server issues, my observations post patch: a lot more D.Va and Zenyatta out there, and Ana is contesting for Hanzo's throne of "pointless sniper who hangs back and won't get on the damn point even when we're about to lose." Glad I'm leaving for SDCC tomorrow so that folks can get all the changes out of their system while I'm gone, I suppose.

Twice now on PS4 our entire team has been kicked from a comp match where everyone lags for a few seconds and then the game drops.

We all try to rejoin but because everyone was kicked there is no game to rejoin to.

Not sure what is going on.

fake edit: I'm just now noticing a message at the bottom that says "The server closed due to an unexpected error."

duckroll

wait. was this in ptr?

Yes, but it's in relation to her ult, not guardian angel itself. When you use her ult to revive, it also resets guardian angel, so in theory you could guardian angel in, revive everyone including a Pharah, and the Pharah could take off immediately, and you can guardian angel along with her out of the clusterfuck.

Sianos

Flying around too much as Pharah can be dangerous if you aren't being as erratic as you can with your movements - you move pretty slowly and often in a predictable straight line or slow curving arc.

People just aren't used to hitting airshots yet: in TF2 by the end of its lifecycle when a slow moving parachute was introduced that moved at about the speed of Pharah's jetpack but had more horizontal maneuverability those Soldiers would get shot out of the sky constantly.

LiK

Ground Pharah is fine especially behind friendly Reinhardt. Spam rockets through his shield during a push and boost into sky when needed to rain justice.

Rad-

You all thought bad Hanzos were bad. Now you got bad Anas who won't even heal and nobody else is going healer because they think Ana is enough. #buffhanzo

Yes, but it's in relation to her ult, not guardian angel itself. When you use her ult to revive, it also resets guardian angel, so in theory you could guardian angel in, revive everyone including a Pharah, and the Pharah could take off immediately, and you can guardian angel along with her out of the clusterfuck.

ah yeah. i missed it was a sub point for her ult in the patch.

Flying around too much as Pharah can be dangerous if you aren't being as erratic as you can with your movements - you move pretty slowly and often in a predictable straight line or slow curving arc.

People just aren't used to hitting airshots yet: in TF2 by the end of its lifecycle when a slow moving parachute was introduced that moved at about the speed of Pharah's jetpack but had more horizontal maneuverability those Soldiers would get shot out of the sky constantly.

when youre playing lucio and there's a pharah just shooting at you and your team doesn't give one fuck. and then you realize you can't really hit her in the air. so you either hide and hope they can get healed or actually take her out.

My friend, TF2-GAF regular FatCatAttack made an excellent post that he wanted to share with GAF about his opinions on Hanzo, projectile hitboxes, and issues with balancing due to the tight range of damage values among other factors. It's long, but very much worth the read:

He'd love to hear what you think, and I think his points make for the basis of an interesting discussion.
It was a good read. I don't really have much else to say about it other than I agree that both Hanzo and Widow are misunderstood by the community and that both have a proper place on comps to provide burst against mass healing. Both require aiming but provided they can hit a fair percentage of shots, both are likely to be among the top 2 damage dealers on the team while providing more than the usual "chip damage" that provides little more than faster ult charges for some characters.

It is conceptually a simple game. I think that is one of its strengths. The similar damage ranges and HP pools allows for more focus on execution with characters that fit your preferred style of play rather than having to worry about tier lists and whatnot to dictate what you should or should not pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom