• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddrical

Choosing my first legendary skin to buy is damn near impossible. I want one for Pharah but I can't decide between Mechaqueen & Raindancer, they both look damn awesome. Think I'm going to have to settle this one with a coin toss.

So unless Overbuff is lying to me, I'm not as bad as I thought.

That's actually good to know, I'm hella self conscious when I play this game online lol.

duckroll

...yes...

how did you know? :p

It's just probability.

Bad Hanzo players = ignore everything on team chat, sits in a corner doing jack shit, might get POTG even if the team loses, but no one likes them.

Bad Genji players = talks shit on the chat, plays like crap, aggro to their own team over chat but a pussy in the actual game facing the enemy team.

Borden

Neo Member
Tried a few combos with dva, and I'm starting to think that she's really strong not because she can eat ults or whatever, but because she's basically reinhardt for the flankers.

Rein is still the best frontline tanker, but i basically followed a team of genji+reaper, and basically kept them alive constantly. Reaper being able to shotgun away without worry is kinda nuts. Barely had to go wraith.

Who knows how it'll pan out, but the other team I've played couldn't handle the combo.
That's how I play DVA too. I tried to tank up the middle and that didn't work at all. Taking the flanking routes (and clearing them out) then sneak around behind the other team.

Choosing my first legendary skin to buy is damn near impossible. I want one for Pharah but I can't decide between Mechaqueen & Raindancer, they both look damn awesome. Think I'm going to have to settle this one with a coin toss.
Trust me, the last thing you want in this game is another coin toss.

xaosslug

Any good suggest on capturing the point B on Volskaya Industries?

it's hard to say, because the flow of a game can be so different w/ any given player. But what I like to do (on any capture point, tbh) is when I'm D.Va (you can also do this with Tracer, Reaper, Winston, etc) is just fly in there and constantly break their deffence. Sure, it's likely a suicide mission but the other team will never get a chance to relax and are always on alert, so when the rest of your team goes in for a big push they're never really ready. :D

It's just probability.

Bad Hanzo players = ignore everything on team chat, sits in a corner doing jack shit, might get POTG even if the team loses, but no one likes them.

Bad Genji players = talks shit on the chat, plays like crap, aggro to their own team over chat but a pussy in the actual game facing the enemy team.
Sounds about right tbh

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's how I play DVA too. I tried to tank up the middle and that didn't work at all. Taking the flanking routes (and clearing them out) then sneak around behind the other team.

Thing is that's how she used to be, except she was the flanker. This time I'm talking about tanking for your flankers. The DM is kind of super good for that.

Paired up with reaper and she can cause havoc.

Hell, even in the frontlines I'll follow a 76 or mccree once we break from our rein and just let them mow people down. She's better at that than rein because her movement isn't hindered by her shield.

So unless Overbuff is lying to me, I'm not as bad as I thought.

That's actually good to know, I'm hella self conscious when I play this game online lol.

Some of the stats on Overbuff are pretty revealing. I love playing Tracer but my damage with her is pretty damn low. On the other hand I have a great objective time and super low deaths. Just wish I was better at, you know, actually killing stuff. I suppose I should be flanking more but I play solo a lot and can't help but be near the point/payload. My Roadhog is super low damage, great death rate, and a decent winrate. Wonder if I need to be more aggressive? Or maybe I just have shit aim.

duckroll

I think right now one of the biggest differences between Dva and Reinhardt is that a nanoboosted Reinhardt is a monster while a nanoboosted Dva is a "WHY DID YOU CHOOSE ME" move.

I really hope Ana players start to figure out the quirks of using her ult. When I get nanoboosted incorrectly for no reason, it actually hurts morale because a) it makes me feel useless, b) it makes me wonder what my teammate was thinking. I was defending on Hanamura yesterday as a Soldier and our Ana would randomly nanoboost me sometimes when there were no enemies attacking at all and it just felt like a total waste.

Maddrical

Jackal >>> all.

Huh, now that you mention it, Jackal & Anubis look great. I kinda just wanted to buy a legendary for the sake of it since I'm at 975 credits or whatever the currency is called and I am yet to own a legendary I actually like (the only one I have is Chopper for Torb... eugh). One of those two would make a good alternative. Now I need a 4 sided coin to flip!

I think right now one of the biggest differences between Dva and Reinhardt is that a nanoboosted Reinhardt is a monster while a nanoboosted Dva is a "WHY DID YOU CHOOSE ME" move.

I got nanoboosted once last night, and it was about half a second before I ulti'd as Dva. It was totally wasted and I felt kinda bad since I was on half HP at the time and could've fought, but I did get a triple kill with the ulti so oh well! Her ultimate is amazing now. Any nearby hero without an escape like Hanzo, Ana or Zenyatta is pretty much a free kill.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

No, I still don't think she can frontline tank like reinhardt unless your team works by following Dva single file. Rein is still better at that just because his shield is a great big rectangle.

But yeah, I find it funny when I nano boost someone because they're all like "oh shit oh shit I gotta do something".

patchday

I feel you. Took me 40 loot boxes (leveling from 1 to 40) to earn enough credits to be able to outright purchase a legendary skin. I dunno I'll probably just sit on my funds for awhile longer. I do think the raindancer skin is less common then the Mechaqueen. Granted, I've probably only seen like 2 Mecha skins ever so....

duckroll

No, I still don't think she can frontline tank like reinhardt unless your team works by following Dva single file. Rein is still better at that.

But yeah, I find it funny when I nano boost someone because they're all like "oh shit oh shit I gotta do something".

Oh I wasn't suggesting she can. Reinhardt and Dva tank very differently. Dva is more versatile, but she can't cover the team as well. Obviously meant for sneak attacks, along with Genjis and Tracers. Dva is the diversion tank to draw fire so others can rekt with the opening. Reinhardt is the cover tank so others can fire while behind him. But they're both very good at their intended jobs now. But Dva should probably never be nanoboosted ever, even if she's charging in!

It's just probability.

(in global) lucio - i got 3 gold. my team sucks.

wait.

Maddrical

What does everyone think about the direction Blizzard are taking with McCree? The OW subreddit doesn't seem too pleased; he seems to be a mid-range sniper now, like Hanzo in a way. I've tried to play him before & after the patch and I just do not like his kit, I find him really boring which is strange because I LOVE pistols & revolvers and will always choose to use a pistol if I can.

What does everyone think about the direction Blizzard are taking with McCree? The OW subreddit doesn't seem too pleased; he seems to be a mid-range sniper now, like Hanzo in a way. I've tried to play him before & after the patch and I just do not like his kit, I find him really boring which is strange because I LOVE pistols & revolvers and will always choose to use a pistol if I can.

High level players seem to think he does too much damage from midrange now and renders 76 obsolete. As an average player I'll still pick 76 over him every time because his kit affords me more leeway to make mistakes: Good mobility, self healing, and helix help make up for my crappy aim. With McCree I feel like a slow piece of crap that occasionally gets lucky shots. Also, FTH feels really junky.

duckroll

I'll tell you how I feel about McCree now: Playing Soldier on Route 66 defense, trying to stop the payload at the first checkpoint, see a McCree some distance away, start shooting at him, BAM killed by a headshot from a mile away. Midrange sniper sounds about right. :(

McCree is confusing because they can't decide what role they want him to play. Even now with his vastly increased damage and range half of his abilities are still essentially useless. Of course before his nerf he was too strong as the duelist. It feels like they don't know whether they want him as the anti-flanker (though really I don't think he's as good at that role as they think he is) or a mid-range sniper. I like McCree as a character but his relatively vanilla playstyle seems like it makes him really hard to balance. He feels like a more efficient Hanzo atm.

Veelk

Banned
What exactly is the counter to a stupidly strong assault point at the end of the Numbani check point?

They had like 2 junk rats (FUCK STACKING), a pharah, a Soldier, one other I can't remember, and a Lucio. And there was basically nothing we seemed able to do because no one could get close, and because of all the kills they were getting, they were just racking up ults after ults after ults. We had a Zarya that managed to get them in a grav bomb not once, but twice. Nothing, because Lucio just ulted and they were basically unkillable for the duration.

The only thing I can think would work is a Hanzo, maybe, but hoenstly, anyone who was poking their head out was going to get wrecked, so even then.

lol just in QP attack on temple of anubis. i picked hanzo. then i hear team mate on voice saying hanzo and symmetra on attack. the one playing symm changed but i didn't lulz.
we only captured the first point because people left when the game was about to start. but second they held it well. so i ended up just changing to junkrat because they didn't really do much damage. got POTG with Junkrat. would have preferred a hanzo POTG just to shut the dude up in the beginning.

duckroll

I don't care if it's Quick Play or Competitive. I just don't want to endure the feeling of wasting my time playing with a team that could be just fucking around. Why take my chances when I could just queue for another game?!

I'm all for harsh punishment, but that's bit much. It needs to be similar to CSGO and it ramps up gradually. Your number just need tweaking. For instance:

I agree 100%

I can't predict when my kids will wake up and come running downstairs & I hate the fact that I contribute to a tallying penalty when I invariably quit because of it.

I think it's time to hide chat also. These are the types of idiots I've been getting lately. Ending the day at wonderful 1-6. I wonder how low I can go tomorrow!

xlHXMPV.jpg

patchday

Hanzo or Widowmaker on offense is fine in my book especially if enemy team has a turret/builder. pretty much anything works in quick play.

(just my personal experience but even I might have my limit)

duckroll

What exactly is the counter to a stupidly strong assault point at the end of the Numbani check point?

They had like 2 junk rats (FUCK STACKING), a pharah, a Soldier, one other I can't remember, and a Lucio. And there was basically nothing we seemed able to do because no one could get close, and because of all the kills they were getting, they were just racking up ults after ults after ults. We had a Zarya that managed to get them in a grav bomb not once, but twice. Nothing, because Lucio just ulted and they were basically unkillable for the duration.

The only thing I can think would work is a Hanzo, maybe, but hoenstly, anyone who was poking their head out was going to get wrecked, so even then.

This sounds no different from annoying ass defensive pushbacks with 2 Bastions (one on the payload!!!), and/or Torb(s), with Pharah and Soldier covering the flanks. If your team is just trying to get to the payload one by one or two by two, there's no way to counter that. What you need is something to scatter them from behind so the rest can move forward and sandwich them. Tracers and Dvas would work in a case of Junkrats creating a bomb trench essentially blocking the team out. Just go in from behind or the sides and get them quick. Then when the Soldier and Pharah react to that, the rest of the team should already be on the payload and countering that. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a Tracer for scattering a well organized defense.

Borden

Neo Member
I'd like to see Tracer be able to withstand more splash damage but less bullet damage. She shouldn't be able to absorb so much damage when she gets stuck in a room with Reaper. She also shouldn't go down because a Pharah or Junkrat was just spamming explosives when she zips by.

Grisby

Not much luck for me tonight. Comp games were full of double Genjis and no one wanted to heal. Didn't lose a lot of rank.

Quick Play wasn't much better because I kept getting dropped into half full games and matches that were right at the end. Also, I don't know if anyone has experienced this on the PS4 but lately it seems like quick play is play whatever you want to play so no one was healing there either.

But I love this game.

Animator

PSA: If you got gold eliminations as Lucio it doesn't mean you are hot shit killing everyone while everyone else is fumbling. It means you tagged the enemy for 5dmg with one of your balls which is not hard to do since you spam it constantly.

Defuser

There was a funny moment with an Ana player yesterday on my team. We were pushing the payload on Hollywood. Getting to the second last checkpoint, suddenly heard "IT'S HIGH NOON!" and none of us reacted in time and we all got wasted. Then in the killcam replay, I saw that he got the drop on us from behind on a ledge, but right AFTER he killed all of us, he was put to sleep. So obviously our Ana player watched the Ana gameplay trailer too many times, but didn't react in time to save our ass either. :p
It was Numbani. We didn't play Hollywood at all.

Rixxan

i hadn't played him much at all, even pre-nerf, but im really enjoying him since the patch, just classic hitscan glory with a cute little stun and roll to mix in - ive gone 9-2 with him since the patch, about to hit 70 skill rating - i guess i could see the boring argument, but i at least find him more exciting to play than soldier 76

PSA: If you got gold eliminations as Lucio it doesn't mean you are hot shit killing everyone while everyone else is fumbling. It means you tagged the enemy for 5dmg with one of your balls which is not hard to do since you spam it constantly.

Exactly when I see someone brag about their elims in a match I just roll my eyes.

Defuser

No I'm 100% sure that was Hollywood. I was playing Zenyatta, and I didn't trigger my ult in time. He was on the roof of one of the houses behind. On all the Numbani games I remember playing Soldier.
Or did you mistaken for Route 66. I seriously don't recall we play Hollywood.

i hadn't played him much at all, even pre-nerf, but im really enjoying him since the patch, just classic hitscan glory with a cute little stun and roll to mix in - ive gone 9-2 with him since the patch, about to hit 70 skill rating - i guess i could see the boring argument, but i at least find him more exciting to play than soldier 76
Yeah, McCree can be boring at times, but he feels sooo good when you are able to consistently land your shots, even more so if you can consistently land head shots.

jotun?

Game feels less fun with long-range McCree back in style. Not a fan of them adding ANOTHER hitscan sniper character on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom