• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really want to make people mad with headshots?
image.php

that's your ticket

the issue i have with mei right now is when i play her i don't even bother with walls or slowing them down with my default fire lol. i'm sure the team is like wtf am i doing.

guess i'll try tonight. wonder if blizzard made any undisclosed adjustments with her.

Chance

the issue i have with mei right now is when i play her i don't even bother with walls or slowing them down with my default fire lol. i'm sure the team is like wtf am i doing.

guess i'll try tonight. wonder if blizzard made any undisclosed adjustments with her.

I think the only Mei change is your cryo freeze healing builds ult? I wonder if the projectile hitbox adjustment affects her?

where the eff is my PS4 patch.

end of week or next. all about that sony approval.

I think the only Mei change is your cryo freeze healing builds ult? I wonder if the projectile hitbox adjustment affects her?
ah okay. idk. i haven't picked her really since the patch went out.

also been ranking up during SoloQ. good to be paired with higher ranked people to lower the average down so i can gain more rank progression (sucks for the higher rank people though lol)

So many people forget about the pay load, or making sure someone is on the point. They all just take off chasing people instead of pushing or protecting.

It's a tactic, but it sucks when it fails.

Yesterday I was playing defense on Numbani, and during the last checkpoint I had somehow made my way back near the enemy spawn. While back there I was constantly fighting it out with the enemy Tracer and Zarya. I couldn't kill them, but they couldn't kill me. I knew I wasn't protecting the payload, but I figured with them being distracted, the rest of the team had a 5v4 advantage.

About 2 seconds after I died I got the "DEFEAT" message across my screen. Did I make the wrong call? Probably. Would I do it again? Probably...

Statistically speaking, it's the right thing to do.

Jarate

Banned
god if it doesnt come until next week imma be pissed

I dont really want to play Pharah watch right now, which really all competitive has turned into is who has the better Pharah right now. That McCree buff along with Zenyattas general buff should hopefully solve a lot of those issues

RE: Being chase down by multiple enemies because youre lit or just annoying them.

other than the obvious they chase down support. depending on map. do you guys fight them head on or run back to your team or lure them away?

i think most games i have at least 2 people on me. yesterday as hanzo it was 3. at least 2 come after me when i'm lucio. there was a match where pharah would constantly shoot me and i'm like team. are you going to do something about that pharah.

RE: Being chase down by multiple enemies because youre lit or just annoying them.

other than the obvious they chase down support. depending on map. do you guys fight them head on or run back to your team or lure them away?

i think most games i have at least 2 people on me. yesterday as hanzo it was 3. at least 2 come after me when i'm lucio. there was a match where pharah would constantly shoot me and i'm like team. are you going to do something about that pharah.

When my wife plays Mercy, she usually switches to Lucio if the rest of the team isn't really doing any anti-flanking.

Jarate

Banned
play nice, play STACKED TORBS

Torb stack is something that hasnt been an issue on PS4 comp play in my level (60 and above) Hell, I rarely see Torb used outside of 1 used for defense to make sure enemy players dont just have free reign on the flanks

The true OP character right now is Pharah, even people on here are saying her only counter is basically Torb, which let's face it, Pharrah easily has some of the best options for dealing with Torbjrons turrets in the game, especially if said Pharah has any type of healer.

Torb stack is something that hasnt been an issue on PS4 comp play in my level (60 and above) Hell, I rarely see Torb used outside of 1 used for defense to make sure enemy players dont just have free reign on the flanks

The true OP character right now is Pharah, even people on here are saying her only counter is basically Torb, which let's face it, Pharrah easily has some of the best options for dealing with Torbjrons turrets in the game, especially if said Pharah has any type of healer.

I've seen it two or three times on the Capture maps. It's a cheep tactic, and they know it, but when you get steamrolled off your A point, it's almost reflex for some players to just switch to Torb for point B.

i was playing on ps4 with some phriends and they had a pharah on the other team (Playing Ilios). can't tell if they didn't want to kill her or they can't aim. but i was chipping at her health but she ended up chasing me down.

I am a huge D.Va player and I really don't now how to exploit her new defense matrix, the 1 second cooldown make it a little bit not flexible. Any ideas ?

LiK

I got bitched out yesterday for the first time.

We played Defense on Rt66. I started off as Mei, but it was pretty clear that Mei was not the right pick at the start of the map. So I switched to Pharah. We already had a Pharah, but this team had very little anti-Pharah characters so I figured this would be great for us.

For some reason, the Lucio on our team was bitching about me switching to Pharah the entire rest of the map. We weren't doing badly. We forced them into overtime for the first two checkpoints, and stopped them a little ways before the final point. But this guy just would not let up. He wanted me to be Winston, and made that very clear.

I've just never seen anything like it. Personally, I don't get the logic of bitching at teammates in comp games anyway. 9 times out of 10, you're just pissing off your teammate and making them play worse, sometimes just to spite you. I mean, there is nothing wrong with recommendations, but orders and condescension is just dumb.

Edit: We ended up losing about 3 meters shy of the second checkpoint.

were you in team chat? that's why i never join team chat anymore. just hearing people whine demoralizes me and makes me don't wanna play with them.

next time we play together, feel free to invite me to party chat.

High ranked PS4 players what horizontal/ vertical/aim assist do you play at?

I'm thinking maybe that's why I have such a hard time landing shots (other than the aiming just not being good which we all know). I'm playing at

H: 60
V: 45
Aim Assist: 100
Competitive Rank: 62

20/15 is my setting for ps4.

also my grip on the ps4 is starting to get slippery. RIP. don't they smell attachments i can slide on so i can slide my thumbs into it? or have something better. or i have my thumb at the wrong spot lol.

Jarate

Banned
High ranked PS4 players what horizontal/ vertical/aim assist do you play at?

I'm thinking maybe that's why I have such a hard time landing shots (other than the aiming just not being good which we all know). I'm playing at

H: 60
V: 45
Aim Assist: 100
Competitive Rank: 62

I just run that default setting because im intimidated by change

LiK

I just run that default setting because im intimidated by change

i found default too slow after a while especially with certain characters. decided to finally raise it and now i aim so fast on PS4. not really sure why the default settings are so slow. felt like molasses.

were you in team chat? that's why i never join team chat anymore. just hearing people whine demoralizes me and makes me don't wanna play with them.

next time we play together, feel free to invite me to party chat.

I know. I just like to communicate.

I like being able to tell my teammates that Symmetra is in the lower tunnel, or the teleporter is past the point on the right side ground level.

You probably noticed last time we played together I was giving call outs to the "team" despite only you could hear me. :p

Mantrox

I have been playing the PC version for some weeks (currently at level 51\ lvl 43 comp.), and have enjoyed it so far.
The one thing i am having trouble with is having some clear choices on the top of my head for when i need to counter heroes on the other team.
I have found myself repeatedly staring at the hero selection screen after being stomped by a bad match, without knowing what to do, and losing precious time.

Has anyone made like a counter chart of any sort? Just for reference.

One factor that has been influencing the outcome of some of the matches i had, is when the team gets confronted by a group of heroes that has good synergy but doesn't try to change their comp to disrupt it. Either they just keep the same hero and loose quickly or they go through the list:

Experimenting Hero - Stomped!
Default main - Stomped!
Fuck it let's go auto-aim - Hooked, frozen, spit on and stomped!

And this happens even in matches where there is good communication, so maybe some good counter info, that's easy to digest, could help.

Just burst in asking for stuff :D
Cmon, chart gaf!

brian!

I have been playing the PC version for some weeks (currently at level 51 lvl 43 comp.), and have enjoyed it so far.
The one thing i am having trouble with is having some clear choices on the top of my head for when i need to counter heroes on the other team.
I have found myself repeatedly staring at the hero selection screen after being stomped by a bad match, without knowing what to do, and losing precious time.

One factor that has been influencing the outcome of some of the matches i had, is when the team gets confronted by a group of heroes that has good synergy but doesn't try to change their comp to disrupt it. Either they just keep the same hero and loose quickly or they go through the list:

Default main - Stomped!

And this happens even in matches where there is good communication, so maybe some good counter info, that's easy to digest would be nice.

Cmon, chart gaf!

If you have questions about specific picks feel free to ask! Also keep in mind that while the comp is prtty important it wont save you from poor play

I have been playing the PC version for some weeks (currently at level 51\ lvl 43 comp.), and have enjoyed it so far.

Default main - Stomped!

And this happens even in matches where there is good communication, so maybe some good counter info, that's easy to digest would be nice.

Cmon, chart gaf!

Well, how many classes do you play and are comfortable with? Maybe you should spend some more time in quickplay learning some new stuff?

There are some basics to know like:

Does a character have a projectile blocking ability? Then maybe use a Beam weapon character.

Does the character have a shield and large health pool? Then maybe use a character than can produce a lot of damage in a small amount of time.

Does the character have a lot of mobility? Then use a character designed to stop that mobility.

Below is a list of my personal counters that I use if I feel I need to counter a specific character. The enemy character is on the left. My choice is on the right:

Genji > Winston
McCree > Pharah
Pharah > 76/Torb
Reaper > Pharah/Mei
76 > Roadhog
Tracer >Roadhog/Torb

Mei > McCree
Junkrat > Pharah
Hanzo > Pharah/Tracer
Torb > Pharah/DVa
Bastion > Pharah/76
Widowmaker > Winston

DVa > Zarya
Reinhart > Bastion/Pharah
Roadhog > Tracer/76/Reaper/DVa
Winston > Bastion
Zarya > Bastion/Tracer

Mercy > Pharah
Lucio > Winston
Symmetra > Pharah
Zenyatta > Tracer

Note that I play Pharah a lot, so I favor her for a lot of counters. Also note that I play on PS4, so there are some differences to the PC version.

Ok dumb question. We are in game group chat normally. Is there a way for us as a group to auto-join team chat when we are in team? Or do we each have to switch to Team individually?

PS4 if that matters.

Mantrox

Well, how many classes do you play and are comfortable with? Maybe you should spend some more time in quickplay learning some new stuff?

I can play everybody apart from, Genji, D'va, Widowmaker, Anzo, Tracer and my Reinhardt usually sucks as well.

The first comp that poped into my head is, Pharah + Mercy defending on a payload map with a sniper behind them.

She's really fun.

Definitely better as a second healer though, but she can burst heal a single target a lot better.

That's how I felt too. I love ult-buffing a teammate and then supplement that by shooting them a bunch as they rough up the other team. I find Ana to be a ton of fun to play, although I can tell there's a lot to learn about how to use her effectively.

shiba5

Depends. Sometimes I lure them to other team mates who kill them. As Lucio, I usually can't take people one on one unless they are already low health or I can knock them off the map.
Yesterday, I lured two stupid Genjis away from the payload and let them chase me around the backfield while my team pushed the payload to victory. Thanks suckers!

LiK

I know. I just like to communicate.

I like being able to tell my teammates that Symmetra is in the lower tunnel, or the teleporter is past the point on the right side ground level.

You probably noticed last time we played together I was giving call outs to the "team" despite only you could hear me. :p

actually, i wasn't in team chat last time and you didn't have party chat so i didn't hear anyone last time. just went with instinct lol

abundant

Just watched a video explaining how Competitive Mode worked in the close beta, and what the hell Blizzard? With just a few tweaks, that mode would have been far better than what we have now.

I especially liked the part where you can't be demoted. Something like that would've fixed a ton of the issues currently plaguing Competitive. Stuff like being matched with bad players, having someone on your team leave the match, going on an epic losing streak. All of that was not a problem, because once you are in a tier, you stay in that tier until you rank up.

Screw what the pro players think, the way Competitive Mode use to work sounds a lot less frustrating than what we got now.

So I haven't touched it yet, but why does rank matter in Competitive? Do you get more points or something? Cus as Blizzard have said, it's not a progress bar, it's an ongoing performance rating. So what's wrong with sliding, is it just less points?

brian!

So I haven't touched it yet, but why does rank matter in Competitive? Do you get more points or something? Cus as Blizzard have said, it's not a progress bar, it's an ongoing performance rating. So what's wrong with sliding, is it just less points?

There's no actual issue w/ it since it doesnt linearly correlate w/ mmr

abundant

The lower you go in ranking, the quality of matches go down.

Jarate

Banned
Just watched a video explaining how Competitive Mode worked in the close beta, and what the hell Blizzard? With just a few tweaks, that mode would have been far better than what we have now.

I especially liked the part where you can't be demoted. Something like that would've fixed a ton of the issues currently plaguing Competitive. Stuff like being matched with bad players, having someone on your team leave the match, going on an epic losing streak. All of that was not a problem, because once you are in a tier, you stay in that tier until you rank up.

Screw what the pro players think, the way Competitive Mode use to work sounds a lot less frustrating than what we got now.

This just rewards players for playing longer, and while you have an advantage playing longer, it doesnt mean you're inherently more skilled

I like the current system, I just don't like the playerbase

It's a tactic, but it sucks when it fails.

Yesterday I was playing defense on Numbani, and during the last checkpoint I had somehow made my way back near the enemy spawn. While back there I was constantly fighting it out with the enemy Tracer and Zarya. I couldn't kill them, but they couldn't kill me. I knew I wasn't protecting the payload, but I figured with them being distracted, the rest of the team had a 5v4 advantage.

About 2 seconds after I died I got the "DEFEAT" message across my screen. Did I make the wrong call? Probably. Would I do it again? Probably...

Statistically speaking, it's the right thing to do.

I had one match where I was keeping three people on their team busy with Tracer shenanigans near their spawn. That's HALF the team. And yet the rest of my team couldn't push the payload at all in a 5-3 matchup. Sometimes the rest of your team just stinks no matter what you do, unfortunately.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

People don't like to feel like they're losing I guess?

LiK

better quality matches with better players is the theory. altho when i was playing with Kor we played against guys who were 10-20 ranks higher than me and i didn't find them that much better.

Jarate

Banned
anyone wanna get a gaf group together today to do some ranked on PS4, we can set up a time and everything. Kor, you can be a our designated Pharah and all we need is a mercy to be on your metaphorical balls all day

abundant

better quality matches with better players is the theory. altho when i was playing with Kor we played against guys who were 10-20 ranks higher than me and i didn't find them that much better.

It's not just the quality of the player that is the issue. The lower ranks are filled with rage quitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom