• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The matchmaking system for QP really goes to shit once you prestige.

Just had a game with my team all one stars while the enemy team had 3 three stars and 2 two stars. We got our asses kicked.

Copenap

The matchmaking system for QP really goes to shit once you prestige.

Just had a game with my team all one stars while the enemy team had 3 three stars and 2 two stars. We got our asses kicked.
Level and stars really mean nothing.

Edit: And I really don't see the issue with smurfing.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm afraid Zen is going to get nerfed...

I was worried that they'd overdo it, and now look.

It's awesome being on top, but for how long? ;_;

I think i just had the friendliest comp match.
Just one guy with a mic, nicely calling out enemy movements and strats. No shouting or anger if people made a mistake and hed apologise if he made a mistake.

It went to sudden death and we managed to win in overtime. The guy sounded so happy he was like
"Im so proud of you guys"

Bless whoever that was

Gurrry

Guys I cant take losing in sudden death anymore

I just cant take it

I cant

I cannot.

Such a horseshit way to lose.

From 52 to 48. Fuck you game.

TrojanAg

Wait, are the SR rewards you receive at the end of the season based off of your highest rank achieved that season or the current rank you end up with when it ends?

Level and stars really mean nothing.

Edit: And I really don't see the issue with smurfing.
The issue is really skilled players making new accounts that have much lower MMR than their main accounts so they are playing against people that are far worse than them and they just dominate every match.

Saying that they're "learning new characters" is a terrible excuse because they could literally just play QP so they don't lose rank and they can still learn new characters.

Stomping in every game is a terrible way to learn new characters anyway.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just one guy with a mic, nicely calling out enemy movements and strats. No shouting or anger if people made a mistake and hed apologise if he made a mistake.

It went to sudden death and we managed to win in overtime. The guy sounded so happy he was like

Bless whoever that was

dude this isn't a My Hero Academia spoiler, right?

I'm really excited for season 2 and don't read the manga so i hope this isn't a spoiler in your avatar.

Soulflarz

Banned
The issue is really skilled players making new accounts that have much lower MMR than their main accounts so they are playing against people that are far worse than them and they just dominate every match.

Saying that they're "learning new characters" is a terrible excuse because they could literally just play QP so they don't lose rank and they can still learn new characters.

Stomping in every game is a terrible way to learn new characters anyway.

Smurfs happen in every game. They're not going to learn in a mode with hero stacking and jokes. Yesterday I switched to reaper and got against 2 McCrees. I did okay but nowhere near what I normally do- it doesn't help when two guys have a move to instakill me as their DPS, compared to baiting a single flashbang. No one wants to deal with stuff like that.

It also happens where a SR70 on PC wouldn't want to practice a character they've hardly played at such a high level, so they go off to comp.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Symmetra needs a massive buff and Blizzard needs to stop thinking she's balanced because of her ult and her 'niche' that no other hero in the game has a niche of. No one requires as perfect of a setup as she does and she has zero play if your team is getting rolled to come back.

Cut the cooldown from the sentries in half and show me proof that she'd be broken. Because I bet she wouldn't. It's not launch week anymore, almost no one falls for the deathcoil buildup. EVER GET THA FEELIN DEJAVU?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Man, comp is really ugly right now. So much singling out people and blaming them for losses and lots of shit-talking. It might be because I'm floating around the 65 range, so everyone's really hungry to reach that goal... but I think low 60s might be one of the most toxic skill brackets. The majority of players think they're hot-shit but lack any kind of self-awareness.

I just had one where we were getting shut out of Hollywood A... and on the other team one guy was constantly trash-talking someone on ours. The combination of us getting stymied and the relentless harassment pushed him to ragequit, so we got the autoloss. :|

Had someone playing Ana in competitive today and it wasn't working out at all, so I asked if they could go Lucio and they said they have never played him. They were level 40 so had some decent playtime.

Soulflarz

Banned
Man, comp is really ugly right now. So much singling out people and blaming them for losses and lots of shit-talking. It might be because I'm floating around the 65 range, so everyone's really hungry to reach that goal... but I think low 60s might be one of the most toxic skill brackets. The majority of players think they're hot-shit but lack any kind of self-awareness.|

Yes. A lot of people reach 65 by luck. Hell, we placed my friend at...64? and we won 3 more throwing him to 66 even though his marks with the tank he used put him at 20th percentile. Hilarious that hes gonna get 300cp, pretty cool!

But yes most people in the 60s think they're really good even though tbh I didn't notice any skill difference till high 60s/into the 70s. You can reach 65 being at the skill of a 50 with a good group. The issue is people see it and go "wow I nearly hit 65 that makes me so good!" when it means nothing necessarily.

Nudull

Banned
Anyone have any tips on playing Lucio properly? I tried him out in training a while ago, but he seems a bit weird to handle.

Soulflarz

Banned
Anyone have any tips on playing Lucio properly? I tried him out in training a while ago, but he seems a bit weird to handle.

If you're on PS4 the entire Lucio meta on most situations revolves around messing with the fact people can't shoot you for their lives (aka jump and wallrun endlessly. We've all wiped besides our lucio and had him hold it alone from trolling, feels amazing)

I just cant take it

I cant

I cannot.

I know the feeling. Had a game yesterday on Temple of Anubis on defense. Lost the first point in overtime. Lost the second point in overtime.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Google-to-remove-spacebar.jpg

and dont be afraid to switch to speed to get out of an ugly situation to your team

X-Frame

Finally got red Weightlifter Zarya. My life is complete now.

With my luck they'll have some badass Crusader Reinhardt skin next though. Hopefully they never again NOT allow us to actually use our CP to buy new skins.

dude this isn't a My Hero Academia spoiler, right?

I'm really excited for season 2 and don't read the manga so i hope this isn't a spoiler in your avatar.

Its just deku in his hero costume with some cool after effects.

Dont worry.

🙂🙂🙂🙂

Had someone playing Ana in competitive today and it wasn't working out at all, so I asked if they could go Lucio and they said they have never played him. They were level 40 so had some decent playtime.

I dont find it that hard to believe. I think there was a gaffer that only played Dva. They posted a screencap and all the other heroes were 0hours.

Kamion

Hey, there are heroes you just can't with (then again, Lucio is quite easy to pick up...)

Like, I'm level 85 now and I have like 15mins played on McCree with no intention of ever picking him up again.
I just played him for one match so he wouldn't be at 0min.

I think it's fine to not want to play some heroes.
I get your frustration, though.

Finally got red Weightlifter Zarya. My life is complete now.

With my luck they'll have some badass Crusader Reinhardt skin next though. Hopefully they never again NOT allow us to actually use our CP to buy new skins.

Want :( I only get icons.

Veelk

Banned
I don't think it can be realistically understated how abjectly worthless Widowmaker is now on consoles. She's literally one of the most useless characters right now. Torbjorn is more useful than her.

I am not a great player by any means, but I have my moments. When I play Widowmaker well, I still feel laughably limited in my contribution. The most I can say is that when I hit someone, I do a fair amount of damage, instant kill if it's a headhshot. But hitting enemies is REALLY REALLY hard as Widowwmaker. At a distance, at an elevated angle, they're all tiny dots. And they have SO many recovery options. They can get out of my line of sight, pick up a health pack, self heal, have a healer heal them, use an ability to block my shots. The worst is that so many characters can outgun her though. Like, Widowmaker should theoretically be a counter to Pharah, but because she's so difficult to hit, AND that pharah's missiles can fuck with your positioning, a pharah will win out most times. A soldier can just lightly shoot in my general direction while strafing a bit while I have to line up my sight. A genji or McCree can headshot her from a distance if they are outside her narrow field of vision. The number of counters she has are beyond count.

Now, you might be thinking that all snipers suck in this game. But this isn't the case. Hanzo is an objectively worse sniper, but he still is super useful as a mid-long range fighter, either by spamming arrows so his allies who are closer might get an easier kill, or just being a really high damaging midrange fighter. His scattershot can take out many characters instantly. His sonar Arrows are what Widow's Ult is, which is just insulting. Then there's Ana. Her rifle can shoot faster. She has the sleeping dart and the grenade trick. She can be a great asset if the player in question knows how to play her right. Again, maybe not even as a sniper, but a back line fighter that is healing and hurting and putting to sleep and nanoboosting.

Compare that to Widow's tool kit. Her sniper rifle is the best in the game, but it's hampered by the fact that sniping is really difficult to do. Characters taht are speedy are nigh impossible to hit and characters who are large and slow can tank your shots. She can use her grapple once every 12 seconds, so she doesn't have much in the way of mobility. She has a poisonous mine she can set, that definitely helps but can't kill anyone by itself, and she can only plant one in a 15 second span. This mine is impractical to use in the heat of combat itself, since after fired, it takes a bit to set itself up, before proximity can affect it. Her main firing mode, an assault rifle, isn't worthless, but it's on the weaker side of DPS. And her ult is completely passive. Wall Hacks help, but not to the extent that they should. I would argue they primarily benefit her teammates rather than herself, because even with wallhacks, aiming is goddamn hard.

She needs a boost, and I don't think just getting her 150 body shot damage is enough. She needs to be more mobile by shortening her CD on her grapple or more HP, because anyone who merely knows her position has an extreme advantage over her. She needs her mine to be more usable. Either do more damage or let her set up two of them. And her ult needs to have some kind of damage benefit. Hanzo can unlease the dragons, Ana can supercharge an ally....Let Widow make her headshots easier.

At this point, it's not a matter of 'git gud'. If the only way to be a good Widowmaker is to get headshots with nonstop frequency, then that's just not going to work.

Soulflarz

Banned
You can pick Lucio up in 30m
I can use him in comp if needed and I have like no time on him, probably an hour and a half in total. I can also use McCree on console...but....PC?
hahahaha
;_;

Rad-

I don't think it can be realistically understated how abjectly worthless Widowmaker is now on consoles. She's literally one of the most useless characters right now. Torbjorn is more useful than her.

Yeah Widowmaker is pretty much trash tier hero on consoles. I still can't believe they nerfed her body damage back then (on consoles). Even if you have good aim with a controller there are better heroes to play.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah Widowmaker is pretty much trash tier hero on consoles. I still can't believe they nerfed her body damage back then (on consoles). Even if you have good aim with a controller there are better heroes to play.

This is basically OW in a nutshell
"But I'm good with-" no stop theres a more optimal choice that probably takes even less skill.

Theres very few reasons to not lucio+zen at the moment, for example. Widow is also a bad pick on ps4. You can see a good one, but if they're that good, they probably should have just used McCree, etc.

zoukka

Is there anything more numbing in this game than to get rekt by a good Tracer? Like it just feels you're a toy for that monstrous girl to play with. I'm sure we had one match with a pro smurf account because it felt like 1v6 and I don't think the enemy tracer died once.

Feelsbadman.

Veelk

Banned
This is basically OW in a nutshell
"But I'm good with-" no stop theres a more optimal choice that probably takes even less skill.

Theres very few reasons to not lucio+zen at the moment, for example. Widow is also a bad pick on ps4. You can see a good one, but if they're that good, they probably should have just used McCree, etc.

I can accept using a not completely optimized character because they often provide other benefits than pure shooting. Like, I would totally consider Winston a worse tank than D.Va in most ways, but a Winston can lay down a shield that protects the team. Mercy is probably worse than Zenyatta, but she can revive teammates. Those are good benefits.

My issue is that there is NOTHING that makes Widowmaker a good choice. Her grapple doesn't let her be mobile enough. Her mine isn't bad, but it's not good enough. Her ult is probably the most worthless in the game, especially when Hanzo basically provides a miniaturized version of it with greater frequency. The only thing she has going for her is that she has the best sniper rifle, and that's greatly mitigated by the fact that sniping is hard as shit.

She doesn't just need a buff, her toolkit needs to be reworked.

Grisby

So I have a little quirk in where I'll open all of my loot boxes that I've earned throughout the week on Sunday. It usually averages out to be between 8-10.

Open all ten this afternoon and get sprays and dupes. Say f' it because I'm a little intoxicated right now and bought $10 worth of boxes.

Get track and field Tracer on first box.

I'm on to you Blizzard.

Bless whoever that was
That guy sounds great. Like share-a-beer worthy great.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is there anything more numbing in this game than to get rekt by a good Tracer? Like it just feels you're a toy for that monstrous girl to play with. I'm sure we had one match with a pro smurf account because it felt like 1v6 and I don't think the enemy tracer died once.

Feelsbadman.

I found Junkrat pretty useful against her.

Like in quick play enemy team tried to cheese us with 6 Tracer, we used 3 Junkrat and they had zero chance.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if a single hero in the game has been as negatively effected by balance changes so far than Torbjorn, indirectly I mean.

Nerf McCree stun+FTH. Torbjorn not really that effected.
Nerf Widow's bodyshots. You might think, 'buff to Torbjorn, no Widows' but no, because now more Pharahs.
Buff McCree's falloff damage, no more Pharahs. But now McCree can snipe Torbjorn's turret with ease.
Add Ana to the game. Ana can out damage a Torbjorn repair(which is beyond stupid I don't know why he even has that useless ability)
Buff DVa to a ridiculous degree, now DVa is in every game and turns Torbjorn's turret into a joke. Less Winstons but DVa is far worse to Torbjorn now than Winston ever was.
Buff Zen. Doesn't really effect Torbjorn that much.

I guess Bastion's of a similar situation.

Anne

I use a mic in comp at the SR70+ range and it's like heaven. People apologize for mess ups, do call outs, figure out the comp together, decide how we're gonna hold ults, set up combos, push when we get a pick. It makes me want to only play this game.

AngryMoth

Got 5 gold medals for the first time (playing as zen) ...my team was trash :p. Didn't even make it to the first point on gibraltar because no one was even bothering to try move the payload. Fucking solo queue, man

I use a mic in comp at the SR70+ range and it's like heaven. People apologize for mess ups, do call outs, figure out the comp together, decide how we're gonna hold ults, set up combos, push when we get a pick. It makes me want to only play this game.

The dream.

terrible

Banned
Just had to play an entire round with a yellow tinted screen. What a fun glitch lol.

Same game had an enemy say "ez" after winning the first control round 100-99. We won the next two. Yeah, ez.

I just cant take it

I cant

I cannot.

The game might as well instantly hand the win to whichever team gets Defence from the coin flip.

Have they said anything about balancing this out in the future?

X-Frame

I agree -- but I think if they tweak Widow directly it's them addressing the symptom of the problem rather than the cause.

On release when Widow was dominating PC (so I read), she was still worthless on console. The reason for this disparity seems to be because of how poor the aiming feels on console compared to other popular FPS games. It's just much harder to be precise. For those that remember Killzone 2, it feels like that. Input lag, Deadzones, Aiming Acceleration, whatever it is -- something needs to be addressed.

If they were going for "heaviness" feel like KZ2, that argument seems to go out of the window when you factor in PC with aiming so accurately with high sensitivity with a mouse.

Once they "fix" console aiming, it should be much easier for them to balance console vs. PC. Obviously it never will be 1:1, but if the aiming on Console felt like Destiny or COD then it'd be a lot closer.

I apologize if I sound like a broken record on here since I bring this up a lot, but it is definitely the most important console balancing issue right now.

AngryMoth

Buff Zen. Doesn't really effect Torbjorn that much.
I dunno I think more Zens is bad for Torb too haha. His charged alt fire is pretty much a 1 shot to a level 2 turret I believe, I'm taking them out all the time.

Same with bastion. That's one of my favourite "fuck you" moments in the game right now; peak out, discord, charge alt fire while behind cover, peak out and 1-shot

Anne

Buffing Zen nerfs Torb btw. Since a team can wipe out targets faster that's less time they'll have to take free damage from the turrets.

The game might as well instantly hand the win to whichever team gets Defence from the coin flip.

What? I think I've only ever lost a coin flip on offense once. Attackers always have advantage in this game. It's pretty much the general consensus at high level that the game is unbalanced in favor of offense right now.

Kamion

Sudden Death will be removed in Season 2

Thank god.

What? I think I've only ever lost a coin flip on offense once. Attackers always have advantage in this game.

It depends on the time you took to attack last time. Sometimes you get like 60-90 seconds to take Hanamura A for example. If the other team is any good, this is very hard.

Gintamen

If I see one more Junkrat or Soldier shooting from outside the point during Overtime I'm gonna riot.

I wish people finally realised they're not useful if 4 people from the enemy team are on the point but only 2 of ours are and the other 4 are off somewhere shooting AT the point.
This is especially gruelling when we'd win if they just got on that point ;_;
Praise.

So many battles lost because someone didn't pay attention when they basically had to stand within the boundary for a couple more seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom