• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rage at the game a fair amount, but never with a headset or anything that goes to other people. I don't really have the right to shit on someone else's day, regardless of how much I hate their useless Genji play. I vent into the OT winds and that's a solid system. It's pretty gross to rage at people in the game.

I start playing just as dumb as everyone else whenever I get totally incompetent teammates. It's best to join in the madness lest you go mad yourself.

Funniest shit just now. I get entered into a game of Nepal. Overtime 99 each. I pick Winston rush the point jump set up the shield and kill 4 guys and we win. I don't get paid by the hour.

I like playing Roadhog and Reaper mostly. Today I got into Zenyatta and I enjoyed him too.

Is that the fucker who can throw me off the edge? Fuck that guy.

I don't mind sucking as much as losing. Just hate seeing "Defeat" come across my screen all the time. Seems like most of the people don't want to actually play the objectives and just run around like chickens with their heads cut off.
Lucio and Pharah for moves that can launch you. As well as soldier with his helix rocket if you shoot them near their feet. DVS can push you off too
Roadhog can pull small people behind so it can work to their advantage lol
Annoying thing is trying to take out Pharah and making sure the other Pharah isn't trying to kill you too.

finalflame

Just won a bid on one of the Taco Bell limited edition Overwatch Kraken Headsets on eBay :D The Reaper version. My dog destroyed my headset on accident today by tripping on the cord, so I needed a new one. So stoked, even if the Kraken is not the best of headsets.

CihbcJ3WUAAsxA_.jpg

D.Va

Neo Member
I'm at 49 right now for ranked. Dropped from 57 in the span of literally a day. I haven't played in a couple of days though so maybe if I go back now I can not lose so much. :D

Ramirez

The Sudden Death implementation might be one of the worst things I've ever experienced in an online game. I just cannot get over how shit it is, completely ruins the competitive list.

I can handle losing, deranking, whatever, doesn't bother me. But SD? Holy shit, rageville, population: me.

The Sudden Death implementation might be one of the worst things I've ever experienced in an online game. I just cannot get over how shit it is, completely ruins the competitive list.

I can handle losing, deranking, whatever, doesn't bother me. But SD? Holy shit, rageville, population: me.

It seems to be based on the idea that every map is completely fair and balanced for both attack and defense.

lol blizzard

I played Recon-only Bastion for the last 6 matches just to have some fun. Got 2-3 golds each round, but constantly got hated on. I just joined in each time. Gave myself the grilling of a lifetime. I don't think people even associated my name with the character I was playing.

finalflame

I played Recon-only Bastion for the last 6 matches just to have some fun. Got 2-3 golds each round, but constantly got hated on. I just joined in each time. Gave myself the grilling of a lifetime. I don't think people even associated my name with the character I was playing.

Why? Getting gold != necessarily contributing to the team's success.

I brought this up with other PS4 Overwatchers... I think they should just leave games that aren't KOH be ties... Like in Soccer... A win would be three points towards the season, a tie one and a loss zero.

Why? Getting gold != necessarily contributing to the team's success.

I think getting Gold is a fair measure of how well you're doing in 90% of situations. Especially if you are getting more than 1 in a match. Maybe barring Elims as you could be getting assists.

But I'm not sure what the "Why?" was about. I wasn't taking anything seriously. Just messing around, and when people complained about the Bastion not playing correctly, I complained about the Bastion as well. I kept the fact that I had Golds to myself.

Babalu.

everyone says their teammates are retards and that they always get teammates that are braindead.

everyone.

there are no good players apparently.

95% of all posts in these threads are saying how bad their teammates are.

everyone says their teammates are retards and that they always get teammates that are braindead.

everyone.

Babalu we need a tank switch off hanzo

this is why we lose games

But for real, it's hard to judge what's going on in team-based games. You obviously feel like you are doing the most because you can tell what you are doing. It takes someone with way more skill than the average player to keep track of the entire game state. It probably takes more skill than the average pro-player which is why the better teams have shot-callers as a role in and of itself.

Oh, well, as long a you were in Quick Play. I figured this was in competitive. Running joke heroes/comps in competitive is pretty crap.

Quick Play, of course. My playgroups average rank is like 62 right now, so I can't mess around in comp. Don't want to bring us into brackets where the games quit being fun.

finalflame

I think getting Gold is a fair measure of how well you're doing in 90% of situations. Especially if you are getting more than 1 in a match. Maybe barring Elims as you could be getting assists.

But I'm not sure what the "Why?" was about. I wasn't taking anything seriously. Just messing around, and when people complained about Bastion I complained about the Bastion on my team as well. I kept the fact that I had Golds to myself.

Oh, well, as long a you were in Quick Play. I figured this was in competitive. Running joke heroes/comps in competitive is pretty crap.

Getting golds can be a decent measure of the stats they track -- your eliminations, damage, healing, objective kills, etc, but if you're just racking up any of those stats without actually contributing to the team pushing objectives then it doesn't matter. Overwatch is not like a MOBA where racking up kills makes your team more powerful/more likely to win, kills are disposable if they are not leading up to capturing the objective.

Basically, lots of times people go on to treat the game as a Team Deathmatch and forget to actually focus on the objectives, where it matters. If you're picking off random Tracers the whole game while your team is getting demolished on the point in KOTH, you might have gold elims and damage because without you they are getting steamrolled and can't get any shots in or anything done. You might be pocket healing a Pharah who isn't actually doing anything and get gold healing, or you might just be the only healer and get gold heals by default. I guess Objective Kills is one of the most "important" golds, but it could just be you're contributing to a crap comp and just happen to have the most objective kills to no real end (e.g. 5 objective kills because nobody else can really get anything done).

It's all really subjective. People like touting golds..but they only really matter if your team is winning the game/working together in a way that makes sense. This isn't really directed at you, just kind of a rant in general.

I brought this up with other PS4 Overwatchers... I think they should just leave games that aren't KOH be ties... Like in Soccer... A win would be three points towards the season, a tie one and a loss zero.

If they just implemented a stopwatch system, sudden death would occur way less often and be way less of an issue. Plus, they'd never implement ties, but I could see them find some other bullshit metric by which to determine who won.

There's something that really bothers me about this game.

I use a PS move navigation controller and mouse together. You get the precise aiming of mouse with analog movement. It plays really well in game, however, the UI constantly switches between the controller and keyboard. It makes a noise when it does and the chat box font changes size. It's really annoying, but it feels great to play that way. Anyone else notice this?

Ken

There's something that really bothers me about this game.

I use a PS move navigation controller and mouse. You get the precise aiming of mouse with analog movement. It plays really well in game, however, the UI constantly switches between the controller and keyboard. It makes a noise when it does and the chat box font changes size. It's really annoying, but it feels great to play that way. Anyone else notice this?

cant you unplug your controller

Rokam

Played with someone who had 111 hours of Hanzo... he was absolute garbage. They need to bring back the avoid function. Or just let me opt out of grouping with people who have over 75% of their time spent on 1 hero.

Permanently A

everyone.

I feel like this is because for 95% of players that's actually the case. For me I'm rank 62 so everyone else I play with is good, probably better than me (I just leech off them playing support). But that ranking group is literally like 5% of the player base.

Played with someone who had 111 hours of Hanzo... he was absolute garbage. They need to bring back the avoid function. Or just let me opt out of grouping with people who have over 75% of their time spent on 1 hero.

I always find this baffling. How can you spend so much time on one character and not be at least decent? I play flex, so I don't really get much time as any one character, but some of my teammates main characters and they know so many little tricks that I could never keep track of. And then I see a Genji with 100 hours who can't even think of deflecting a Pharah ult or failing to use his alt-fire up close.

This is the final nail in the coffin. Nah I am joking; I never gave a shit ever since my first deducted xp from quitting fiasco.

I carried the team, again. It was hilarious though; I literally walk behind people and they don't attack me. My team doesn't attack Mercy and she gets five revives. I stood at the side of the map and both teams are shooting straight into each other instead of flanking from sides and taking positions. It feels like those guys are paid to act dumb LOL.

The assholes quit. This is the sixth time that it happened; I should have leveled up much higher beyond the shithole below 40. Actually, I find quick play better. Since I have high MMR in quick play, I get qued to high level lobbies and actually decent people; it is relaxing, fun and meaningful from a competitive point of view.

I don't get people who subtly point at me being part of the problem and actually being rank<40. I am statistically at a higher rank, but those quitters ruined it. And my ping is okay as you see; it only goes really high when I group up/invited by people from certain areas.

Ken

how come you don't just go play your backlog or something

it never sounds like you have a good time playing OW

how come you don't just go play your backlog or something

it never sounds like you have a good time playing OW

I do have fun playing Overcock. I had a lot of fun playing Junkrat in KoTH today; I have sore abs from laughing. But I am paying more attention to my backlog now. I will play OW but for short periods; just some relaxing quick play and watching tournaments from time to time.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Still not heard a single soul talk on EU :(

Maybe if I rank higher....right?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
are you joining the team chat and it has other people in it?

It autojoins for me, dont play in groups much because there are not alot of EU gaffers, all the ones I added have either not accepted or are not online.

Bootsy

Finished my placement matches 8-2, rank 59, all done in soloqueue. Average of 1.6 gold, 1.1 silver, and 0.8 bronze medals during placement.

I feel like the placement matches don't matter much and it's incredibly hard to place significantly below or above your hidden quickplay mmr. I think it'd have been nice if your rank was much more fluid during placements because I could see, due to the teammates I was given that had already placed, that I couldn't have been moving more much more than a single level per win.

I'm pretty confident I can slowly work may way into the mid 60's, I'm just not sure how enjoyable that'll be.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Put too much emphasis on stats and people will start picking heroes to stat pad. What about healers? Just about every healer will get a gold in healing, unless they're very bad and there's a Roadhog running up the numbers. Does the Torb on your team really deserve extra ranks because his turret tagged every body and did the most damage to Rein's shield? Who's the real star in your Rein/Bastion/Mercy combo? Because it'll be Bastion who gets the highest numbers.

Blizzard rolled "assists" and "kills" into one specifically to avoid this kind of thing, and people seriously want to tie ranking closely to individual stats? I mean I'll gladly accept free competitive points for a high hook rate but this isn't really what MMR is supposed to be in a team game.

Finished my placement matches 8-2, rank 59, all done in soloqueue. Average of 1.6 gold, 1.1 silver, and 0.8 bronze medals during placement.

I feel like the placement matches don't matter much and it's incredibly hard to place significantly below or above your hidden quickplay mmr. I think it'd have been nice if your rank was much more fluid during placements because I could see, due to the teammates I was given that had already placed, that I couldn't have been moving more much more than a single level per win.

I'm pretty confident I can slowly work may way into the mid 60's, I'm just not sure how enjoyable that'll be.

I started with a decent MMR, and after meeting griefers who either quit or went AFK, I immediately started getting lower rank/low level people. Your MMR dynamically changes during the placement tests.

Second placement test (first AFKer)

Last placement test (note that I had a quitter from the other team during my second win)

It autojoins for me, dont play in groups much because there are not alot of EU gaffers, all the ones I added have either not accepted or are not online.

Yeah there aren't many of us. Luckily i only get to play after work / gym so 9pm ish GMT, there are usually a few guys from the US on about that time so its not that bad.

Are you on PS4?
Add me if you like and ill team up if were ever on at the same time.

PSN - payoffwizard.

Mendrox

everyone.

That's normal. People think they are godly at the game, but why do they still lose? Because of other players all the time. People are like this. If you don't rage and don't take your anger at your teammates and just...start to communicate nicely, you will win most of the time. There are still better teams out there.

It's still funny to see all these posts in this thread that complain about ranked which is still in alpha state.

Put too much emphasis on stats and people will just start picking heroes to stat pad. What about healers? Just about every healer will get a gold in healing, unless they're very bad and there's a Roadhog running up the numbers. Does the Torb on your team really deserve extra ranks because his turret tagged every body and did the most damage to Rein's shield? Who's the real star in your Rein/Bastion/Mercy combo? Because it'll be Bastion who gets the highest numbers.

Blizzard rolled "assists" and "kills" into one specifically to avoid this kind of thing, and people seriously want to tie ranking closely to individual stats? I mean I'll gladly accept free competitive points for a high hook rate but this isn't really what MMR is supposed to be in a team game.
My individual ranking to my individual stats? Yea, I do. What's the alternative? Relying on random teammates? It's not perfect but there's plenty of things besides eliminations and damage. They should be able to get a decent representation of who is doing well and who isn't. But they didn't seem to care about that. It's all wins and losses, which is pretty damn disappointing. You are completely at the mercy of your team (5/6ths worth) if you want to rank up.

That's normal. People think they are godly at the game, but why do they still lose? Because of other players all the time. People are like this. If you don't rage and don't take your anger at your teammates and just...start to communicate nicely, you will win most of the time. There are still better teams out there.

It's still funny to see all these posts in this thread that complain about ranked which is still in alpha state.

The complaint posts are not funny. People spent money on the game and dedicated hours playing placement tests to end up with xp penalty issues due to quitters. What was PTR then? Pre-alpha? And yes Blizzard intends to finalize ranked via seasons, and we have to voice complaints to help making the game better. The issue of quitters is legitimate, and it should be solved. Placement tests are vulnerable to quitters as well.

Bootsy

I started with a decent MMR, and after meeting griefers who either quit or went AFK, I immediately started getting lower rank/low level people. Your MMR dynamically changes during the placement tests.

Second placement test (first AFKer)

Last placement test (note that I had a quitter from the other team during my second win)
Fortunately I didn't run into any quitters (on either team) during my matches. But I started off in games that were somewhere around 43 average as that was the level of the placed teammates I had. I can easily solo carry games in that skill bracket provided people are at least trying a bit, but doing so shoulda quickly thrown me into lvl 50 matches and let me take a stab at them. It's not a huge deal as long as those complaining in the thread about the lopsided rating lose vs gain are just the salty and vocal minority. I'd have just liked to have been given a shot at 60+ level matches before having to grind my way there from 50's and people's complaints of quitters and grievers have me wary even tho my personal experience has been alright thus far.

grimmiq

LOL I love it, we got completely dominated first 2 rounds, 3rd round they're 99%, take it in overtime and win the remaining 3, all in overtime..Underdogs the whole time. Also, fuck double Lucio/Winstons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom