• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

-MD-

Had a good night in competitive. We queued as a 6 man and won all 5 of our matches, that puts me at 23-11.

Ended up at 62, almost broke 63.

Fortunately I didn't run into any quitters (on either team) during my matches. But I started off in games that were somewhere around 43 average as that was the level of the placed teammates I had. I can easily solo carry games in that skill bracket provided people are at least trying a bit, but doing so shoulda quickly thrown me into lvl 50 matches and let me take a stab at them. It's not a huge deal as long as those complaining in the thread about the lopsided rating lose vs gain are just the salty and vocal minority. I'd have just liked to have been given a shot at 60+ level matches before having to grind my way there from 50's and people's complaints of quitters and grievers have me wary even tho my personal experience has been alright thus far.

Good. It is safer to try placement when you are leveled really high and have high MMR. The latter didn't save me though; I don't know how the heck did that 44% winrate Soldier-76 "main" landed in a lobby that has like four prestige 1 and 2 guys. He just stood at the gate in Hanamura and started shooting nearby walls, and refused to play. The next match was another one who went AFK because someone picked his waifu Pharah and refused to go tank. The rest is history.

Also, the Overwatch forum is flooded with the quitters XP issue. I had it happen three times today; that is nearly 50% chance of it happening. Someone from Gaf (finalflame) was grouping up with me today, and we had two quitters who screwed our progress over. I don't get people who get in the thread and comment that I suck and should be at 30 when I am factually higher, given that I got full XP; it is just ridiculous.

I am doing fine in the cesspool though; my winrate went really high and it is close to 50% despite the bullcrap from placement. Also, I have an average of 3.5 medals with Lucio and Reinhardt in competitive (>95% percentile).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My individual ranking to my individual stats? Yea, I do. What's the alternative? Relying on random teammates? It's not perfect but there's plenty of things besides eliminations and damage. They should be able to get a decent representation of who is doing well and who isn't.
How well you do, in any individual game, is a function of what your teammates are doing as well. You might be racking up those sick gold medals but who's to say it's not because Winston's running interference, or Mercy is keeping the team alive? Your skill rating has no direct relationship your stats.
But they didn't seem to care about that. It's all wins and losses, which is pretty damn disappointing. You are completely at the mercy of your team (5/6ths worth) if you want to rank up.
Yes, as you should be. Otherwise matchmaking simply doesn't work. There's no quantifiable measure of "team ability", which is what's most important to putting together a group of strangers for a game that revolves around team synergy. The idea with skill rating/MMR/ELO, whatever you want to call it, is that ability to function well in a team reveals itself over time with constant match ups. It's not a linear "oh I got a lot of kills this game, time to rank up!" progression. It's an estimate of how likely you are to win when placed in a group of 6, against another group of 6, derived from, hypothetically, an unlimited number of cases.

Matt Frost

Congrats GraveRobber, worst and laziest OP I ever seen on NeoGAF. Next time let someone else do it. Someone who wants and know how to do it...

Congrats GraveRobber, worst and laziest OP I ever seen on NeoGAF. Next time let someone else do it. Someone who wants and know how to do it...

People actually reap OPs after the first OT??

I get the idea of simplifying the OP in later OT versions, but this is a game with long longevity where newcomers will come by, and it's very useful for them to have all the info right there, especially if it covers frequently asked questions. This way it may seem daunting to even approach the thread when everyone are clearly doing inside jokes that a newcomer won't understand. On another note, I myself even view the OP sometimes for quick reference if I forget the name of a level or something.

But yeah, it's no big deal, there's a link in the OP to more info anyway. Quick and short OPs are common for later OT versions.

Mendrox

The complaint posts are not funny. People spent money on the game and dedicated hours playing placement tests to end up with xp penalty issues due to quitters. What was PTR then? Pre-alpha? And yes Blizzard intends to finalize ranked via seasons, and we have to voice complaints to help making the game better. The issue of quitters is legitimate, and it should be solved. Placement tests are vulnerable to quitters as well.

It's not like Blizzard doesn't already have about 8 billionen complains about that including massive foren posts and reddit threads. Everyone knows that shit and everybody should have realized that ranked will suck at first. I am one of the lucky few that didn't have many problems till now, but I can see all the complaints, but guess what? Changes will take time sadly so in the mean time just play Quick Match or try to grind Ranked points.

Man why the fuck does the winning team get punished if someone on the other team ragequits?

We stop the enemy team at the first capture point and a guy on the other team quits. We cap point 1 and win and we get 5% gains for our efforts as underdogs to stop them at point 1. The fuck is that about?

Nyx

How do those placement matches work? I won 2 and lost 2, but somehow it shows 3 red crosses and 1 green whatever it's called in English on my 'timeline'. (Got 1 competitive point)

peakish

Man why the fuck does the winning team get punished if someone on the other team ragequits?

We stop the enemy team at the first capture point and a guy on the other team quits. We cap point 1 and win and we get 5% gains for our efforts as underdogs to stop them at point 1. The fuck is that about?
This and players reconnecting after a DC getting a loss even if winning are two gigantic oversights. I don't know how they made it through. The first one because it punishes superb teams, the second because they should incentivize rejoining games (I'm OK with giving them a leavers penalty of course).

Even worse is when the entire team quits just a couple of minutes into the game and no win at all is recorded.

While I understand that it's difficult to balance punishing rage quitters and not overly hurt actual disconnects (especially within a week of launch, before recurring penalties start to hit) these two issues are purely design.

It's not like Blizzard doesn't already have about 8 billionen complains about that including massive foren posts and reddit threads. Everyone knows that shit and everybody should have realized that ranked will suck at first. I am one of the lucky few that didn't have many problems till now, but I can see all the complaints, but guess what? Changes will take time sadly so in the mean time just play Quick Match or try to grind Ranked points.

https://youtu.be/vG5KCLqBsMs?t=214

Just to spite you.

I like it. I've had enough bloated OPs that look like press kits (with info everybody knows anyway), force me to scroll for an hour to see the replies and take ages to load.

Mendrox

What? Watched the first ten seconds and I don't know why you even want to spite me. I don't give a fuck about the problems at the moment, because they will get fixed. It's a game. People should also realize that most players will play in the midrange bubble which won't explode for many people too. So don't expect to be at the top at all if you are bad.

Score wise how is 44? Is that average or below average?

A bit below average.

ramyeon

I like it. I've had enough bloated OPs that look like press kits (with info everybody knows anyway), force me to scroll for an hour to see the replies and take ages to load.
Never had to see an OP unless I need to, not with buttons on both desktop and mobile GAF that jump you straight to the first unread post.

dawid

I love to play Overwatch. But the game sure is terrible to spectate.

Team based FPS:s always feel pretty chaotic to spectate, but the never ending tempo in Overwatch just makes it unengaging fast.

I've often gotten the feeling that esports audience sizes are more dependent on how many people are playing the game themselfs rather than if the game is any fun to watch or not(hello MOBAs), so i guess that don't have to mean OW is doomed as an esports.

NeoRaider

tumblr_o9paa1uGWl1tx1lfio1_1280.jpg

Literally me with bad Mercy in team.

Team based FPS:s always feel pretty chaotic to spectate, but the never ending tempo in Overwatch just makes it unengaging fast.

I've often gotten the feeling that esports audience sizes are more dependent on how many people are playing the game themselfs rather than if the game is any fun to watch or not(hello MOBAs), so i guess that don't have to mean OW is doomed as an esports.

But I thought it was already doomed because of 20Hz tickrate

ramyeon

Personally I love watching it, been watching a lot of streams when I haven't been able to get on and play myself.

ekim

is there a good guide for Reaper especially in terms of how to move through the different maps to get close to the enemy?

Kasei

Competitive play has resulted in me passively witnessing the most vitriolic chat experience I've seen in quite some time. It's unbelievable how the negative tone is set and team goodwill/cohesion can erode within the first 10 seconds of the pick phase. I'm currently playing in a 2-man party at rank 54-59 for context.

If nothing else, the addition of the competitive mode has vastly improved my quick play experience. How much more chill people are there now! A welcome refuge...

(I'm aware you can disable the chat, but it's useful to communicate in despite the inevitable escape of a players frothing wrath and I'm determined to keep it)

duckroll

Going to do more placement matches later today. I'm prepared for the worst. So I apologize in advance in I return later and drop a mountain of salt in the thread. :D

ekim

I played some ranked yesterday with a friend who has himself made friends with another group of 4 people so we were a team of 6 but holy shit... those other guys were so pseudo-pro they always ran the same lineup:
- Lucio
- Mercy
- Roadhog
- Reinhardt

were played EVERY map, EVERY game and I had to choose one DPS. We then were owned in Ilios so I decided to switch to D.Va which I considered being a good pick and I actually got back the capture point and was eventually having 4 gold medals and literally winning the round for us. Guess what happened? They were mad at me because I didn't play a damage dealer and one of the others had to switch from Reinhardt to McGree (which was also a bad pick imho) and I was not following their orders. I tried to convince them playing DVa but their opinion was, that DVa is a bad character. When my play of the game (winning the second round by zoning the point with my Ult and killing 4 guys) was shown they asked me to leave the group. lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm not really sure why people keep playing competitive if its players are not more "skilled" than the ones in quick play, but throw insults left & right a lot more easily.

At least quick play matches are still mostly quiet and the quality(as random as it can be) of players doesn't seem to be affected by competitive.

I hope the people who stick to competitive do this because they really want a golden weapon, otherwise I don't understand why they keep torturing themselves lol.

cHinzo

So do you get rewards at the end of the seaon based on highest rank achieved, like in Hearthstone or your current rank?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it me or is PotG kinda borked?

My gf got a POTG yesterday as Lucio who might have killed one guy with his gun(no alt fire over a cliff or anything). No ult or anything(not that Lucio's ult even matter for POTG anyway).

So yeah... I seriously doubt that was the best thing that happened in the game... Lucio killing someone.

Hey guys, silly question...

When I use a chat headset on PC should other voices come through the headset? Because they're only coming through my speakers.

I played some ranked yesterday with a friend who has himself made friends with another group of 4 people so we were a team of 6 but holy shit... those other guys were so pseudo-pro they always ran the same lineup:
- Lucio
- Mercy
- Roadhog
- Reinhardt

were played EVERY map, EVERY game and I had to choose one DPS. We then were owned in Ilios so I decided to switch to D.Va which I considered being a good pick and I actually got back the capture point and was eventually having 4 gold medals and literally winning the round for us. Guess what happened? They were mad at me because I didn't play a damage dealer and one of the others had to switch from Reinhardt to McGree (which was also a bad pick imho) and I was not following their orders. I tried to convince them playing DVa but their opinion was, that DVa is a bad character. When my play of the game (winning the second round by zoning the point with my Ult and killing 4 guys) was shown they asked me to leave the group. lol

The biggest lesson I learned over the weekend was that groups can be just as awful as solo queue. At least when they're calling out enemy locations and when they have their ults up, it's tolerable, but I've never seen the concept of group intelligence displayed so obviously before (and yes, I know that includes me in the group). When you have a team that knows the counterpicks and can think on its feet, it feels great. When you have a group that just complains about "oh man this soldier needs to be nerfed" and "oh man this hanzo is ridic" and "oh man this Junkrat is bullshit" and "I'm better with Hanzo anyways I'm going to switch off our one healer without telling anyone," it's worse than solo queue.

Don't do it solo ffs, I'm still mad about yesterday's 1-6 placement run

Blessing in disguise. The alternative is to get placed too high for your level, and then lose 70%+ of your games after placement.

RemiLP

I'm not really sure why people keep playing competitive if its players are not more "skilled" than the ones in quick play, but throw insults left & right a lot more easily.

At least quick play matches are still mostly quiet and the quality(as random as it can be) of players doesn't seem to be affected by competitive.

I hope the people who stick to competitive do this because they really want a golden weapon, otherwise I don't understand why they keep torturing themselves lol.

Havnt had time to play competetive yet, but the theory behind the ranking is that, over time, you play with and against people with roughly the same skill level as you.

If you play against the same skill levels as you do in quick matches, then that is your level aswell.

Nyx

Went 4-6 in the placement matches and ended up with skill level 46.

All solo queue games on PS4.

Pretty much what I expected, 45-50 range, average player with good and bad days. ;-)

Vitanimus

got told my zarya was bad in a match today, and that i wasn't doing my job. i asked how so, and they said that i should be in the front lines, not back lines, and i just replied i can't do as well as i should be doing if shielded team mates don't press forward, and a 4v1 situation is always gonna be bad on lijang tower.

kinda irritating when you're a player that is constantly communicating, letting people know ult percentages, acknowledging group up commands, saying good job when we play well, etc.

X-Frame

got told my zarya was bad in a match today, and that i wasn't doing my job. i asked how so, and they said that i should be in the front lines, not back lines, and i just replied i can't do as well as i should be doing if shielded team mates don't press forward, and a 4v1 situation is always gonna be bad on lijang tower.

kinda irritating when you're a player that is constantly communicating, letting people know ult percentages, acknowledging group up commands, saying good job when we play well, etc.

They were wrong, Zarya is not front-lines, except possibly for only brief periods when Barrier is off cooldown, maxed health/shields, and High Energy.

Otherwise, she should be backing off so that her flankers and hopefully other Tank(s) can push up and she can throw Barrier's on, and rain alt-fire grenades from where her team is.

Zemm

If it takes Blizzard a few seasons to work the kinks out of competitive, how much of the player base will have moved on by then I wonder. Even in mid to late June, there were plenty of folks here saying that they were getting bored and putting OW on the back burner until competitive. If competitive takes 2-3 seasons to get to the point where things are pretty okay, I wonder how the player base will look by then. As it stands now, it seems to be leaving a bad taste in most people's mouths. Is Blizzard running the risk of irreparably damaging the game's reputation with the state of competitive / people's opinions of it?

My guess is it'll be relatively barren. My friends list is already down from say 40 people playing it each night to 8-10.

abundant

I know it will never happen, but I wish you could ban certain maps from showing up in ranked, similar to how some tournaments allow teams to ban a map from being played. If you haven't guessed it by now, I absolutely hate playing Assault in ranked. My team usually does pretty well, win or lose, on the other three modes, but Assault? 9 times out of 10 we are Attacking first and we fail to capture the first point. Now don't get me wrong, I like playing Assault, but when in ranked, an Assault match can be a real mood killer.

shiba5

I don't think double Reapers on KotH are a problem anymore. We handled him easily last night in multiple games. In one game I knocked both off the map within seconds. It was glorious.

ETA: We also had a GAF vs GAF competitive game (PS4) on Gibralter.
GAF won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom