• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
:chinstroke: destined to lose that match because they continued to go in 1 by 1. and the pople in the chat talking about we going to group up are the ones that are going in 1 by 1.

matmanx1

I'm always around #10 on wall of shames T_T

Anyways, yeah, still wanting to talk about Genji if peeps are interested, just eating dinner. I'm not Seagull or Shadder but I know a bit.

Yes, I would like to see it. I don't play Genji currently but anything that increases my understanding of the game is a good thing, IMO.

Speaking of the OT title, I just had my first match where the fact that no one was on the payload was obvious. Before, it'd be like a couple a seconds or so, but this time, we pushed through to the half way point of the stage fighting the other team but the payload was still at the beginning spot.

Nice, good choice for the title.

Just barely missed the cutoff for the wall o' shame, but I swear I'll make the OT5 list if it's the last thing I do!!

Also glad the GAF ID list is back in the OP - anybody who wants to buddy up feel free to add me on PSN! Although I'm taking a break from competitive until season 2.

Superflat

I've struggled to use Dva pre-patch and post-patch for a while, but something just clicked recently and I've been winning a lot of matches with her w/ gold damage and elims. It's nice to finally see what I've been missing lol.

Veelk

Banned
Playing this game with enough randoms can easily turn you into a misanthrope. These last few days have just been straight up rough.

I've struggled to use Dva pre-patch and post-patch for a while, but something just clicked recently and I've been winning a lot of matches with her w/ gold damage and elims. It's nice to finally see what I've been missing lol.
This is what happened to me with Roadhog a while back. He was my fav, but not by a very large margin because I just wasn't very good with him. Then one day, for no reason, I'm hooking people left and right and I feel unstoppable. He's been my favorite character ever since and that won't change unless they need him to death(which will probably not happen) or they manage to somehow real ease a more fun character. I don't know if that's possible though.

It is the best feeling this game has to offer when you click with a character.

SiDCrAzY

If anybody needs a Lucio on their team add me, I'll play as him as often as I can. Favorite character.

PS4: SiDCrAzYY

Soulflarz

Banned
They do, but yeah.

I'd rather have more time for overwatching.

This is me in the summer when I come back from college

"Chris why don't you get a job"
"I would buy more games with the money and I already buy more than I physically have time to play so I'm confused why the idea of me having less time and more money could possibly be a good one."

Blues1990

Yay! My suggestion for the OT has been picked!

As for me, I still would like some good tips for Lucio. Especially his wall riding ability, as I would like to unlock his pixel spray and know how to get better with him, in general.

Yay! My suggestion for the OT has been picked!

As for me, I still would like some good tips for Lucio. Especially his wall riding ability, as I would like to unlock his pixel spray and know how to get better with him, in general.

I can't wallride worth a damn yet myself, but from what I've seen, it's about 50% picking your route and 50% managing your speedboost. It's not really something you can do well while healing.

Anne

So, Genji is a bit different in how he has to be played and how he has to be played around. Somebody said "it's like a horror movie where people just get picked off one by one." That's actually not wrong. Genji is supposed to find a weak player, pick them off, then snowball off it until he wipes a whole team. With the single target burst damage he has, any mistake that isolates somebody lets Genji get going. The way that works in an actual match is something that is actually pretty specific and can be played around though.

To play around Genji, you need to have some bare minimums in mind. His burst combo (alt fire > melee > dash) from melee range is a maximum of 248 damage, but that's never going to happen unless you're AFK. Realistically, Genji is going to get 108-136 damage with his combo from melee range. The other long range Genji combo does is he lands a kunai or two from primary fire, follows it up with dash, then turns and does things like alt fire + melee. That realistically is going to be around the same damage as his other combo, if not a bit more. Other than that though, Genji's sustained DPS is kind of mediocre. His fire rate is slow and his projectiles are unlikely to fully hit anything smaller than a Reinhardt shield.

So like, that's what you're having to play around. The general strat is Genji gets you to that 120~ health range and flies in to murder you. In order for that to happen you have to take that much damage and be in a position where can safely go in on you and get out or snowball. In other words, somebody has to mess up a bit. If people are stacked around tanks and healers, it's unlikely for them to take enough damage to be in range of getting burst down, and it's less likely they are gonna be in a spot where Genji can manage to get a combo off. Compare this to like McCree where if you stick your face out of a shield for a second you might get 2 shot instantly. Genji relies on mistakes to get extremely hard punishes; other DPS have more constant ways to deal damage on smaller mistakes or normal poking situations.

So those bare minimums are stay stacked, stay healthy, be in a spot where you can jump into a tank or something if Genji finds you. In high level games, that is just normal. The way Genji gets an opening there is he just applies safe DPS from a distance until somebody sticks a bit too far out and takes damage. For example a Zenyatta was a bit too far out of group and ate a McCree shot. Genji is going to instantly kill him because he messed up, then the group snowballs the rest of the fight. In tournament play this rarely ever happens, but when it does Genji just wins a fight. It's why you see him on Dorado first point a lot. He gets high ground or some dumb flank path to catch somebody out. McCree is still more likely to just outright "win" a more solid fight with less mistakes through pure aim, but Genji will win off a mistake way harder.

"What about his amazing survivability?" Well, to be blunt, outside of a 1v1 situation it really doesn't matter too much. If you end up 1v1 against Genji you're going to lose the fight unless you bait reflect anyways. The only time it matters in group fights is if he manages to reflect something big and already had a good opening to be there in the fist place. Like, look at this way. Genji jumps into a fight and fails to kill, either he dies or jumps out and does nothing. Usually.

Then there's sword. Again, bare minimums here. You wanna deal with sword, you need to stagger ults around it. Even then, sword duration is kinda long for no reason so you have to play around it after you blow a defensive ult. The pay off to that is the same as other offensive ults, if you counter that you take the damage off the table. It's just admittedly harder to do. There's more to this in the fact you can hold CC or counter ult with an offensive ult, but I can be here all day talking about it. Sword is complicated. It's also really, really good.

I guess with all that in mind, it makes sense why Genji is better in solo q than in comp. It's more likely a single player will make a mistake and get caught out and die. It's harder to play around sword by staggering timed ults. It's harder to kill Genji when he does fuck up. It's more likely a fight will go on long enough for sword to be a really strong clean up. And so on.

Idk, there's a lot more to the character but that's the gist of how he works.

Blues1990

Might try Reinhardt for the first time the next time I play. Any tips for him in general?

Reinhardt is Overwatch’s most straightforward tank. He’s got a big ol’ hammer, lots of armor, and a holographic shield allies can shoot through but enemies can’t.

• Your shield is not invincible, and it will eventually shatter. While waiting for it to recharge, don’t be afraid to go on the offensive a bit. Charge someone if they’re nearby, or just go smashy smashy with your hammer for a second. It’s better than running and hiding, as that strategy leaves your team entirely tankless.
  • Always be on the lookout for enemies who want to get behind your shield. Harassers like Tracer can get your back if you’re not careful, as can grenade lobbers like Junkrat and snipers like Widowmaker. I’ve even come across crafty Roadhogs who flank ‘n’ yank. You don’t want to be flanked and yanked. Trust me.
  • Above all else, your goal is to absorb damage. Your team is reliant on you. Without you, the formation crumbles. Prioritize that first and foremost.

Might try Reinhardt for the first time the next time I play. Any tips for him in general?
Have your shield up 90% of the time. Once your team picks off two or three guys, rush in and add your damage so you can help finish off the rest because 3 or 4 guys won't really make a difference, shield or not. Always fire strike where there are s you get 10% ult charge off of it. Only charge when your team wants to be aggressive and they start pushing past your shield. Try and slowly walk towards the point with your shield up and once you get close enough to the point, charge in there and start killing people because your shield won't be as useful in close quarters. Like every other ult, use it at the right time. It's generally a counter ult, so use it on Genji swords, Ana ults, etc. Make sure you have a healer with you when you charge in as a lot of people will focus on you.

Some mechanics things:
Your hammer hitbox is massive and reaches even to your sides.
Your shield regenerates while you have it off; if it breaks, it recharges a lot slower.
If you hit your firestrike on multiple targets you get a lot of ult charge out of it.
You can't stop your shoulder charge before hitting a wall or its maximum range (which is quite far), but you can steer during it.
Several attacks can go through your shield: Symmetra's beams and energy spheres and Winston's tesla gun, Hanzo's dragon. Probably something else that I'm forgetting. People also can just walk through it.
However, you can block some ults from enemies, such as D.Va's.
You have the best highlight intro in the game.

I'd come up with something better right now, but I'm nearly passing out, and I feel like Reinhardt is fairly straight forward to be reasonably competent with.

One thing though: Don't just walk forward slowly with your shield up. You have a lot of health and ideally, your support behind you to heal your ass. You should be at the front line always, rather than behind your teammates. If that means taking a shot or two, that's fine.

Anne

30% is my guess. Still more powerful than a Mercy boost, but less might be too little.
I wonder if they're gonna try again with a Mercy buff just to make her viable again.

Same designer, same thread

I've been looking at Mercy for some time now. If you guys saw the last PTR iteration, you could see the kinds of changes we were trying with her. I'd love to give her damage buffing alternate fire more power, but there are too many degenerate cases that pop up when we try that.

There are some other ideas, and many more things we've been trying on and off that you guys never get to see. At one point (a couple months ago) she had a new E ability that put a slow heal over time effect on everyone around you, that meant you could use it to toss onto people that needed topping off without having to swap beam targets as often. That particular design ended up having some issues, but just so you know we are iterating on her internally.

That doesn't mean shes necessarily due for a new ability either. She already has a lot to do and think about when you're in the thick of combat. You're constantly deciding which beam to use, where to be positioned to stay safe and still help your team, and her Guardian Angel ability has almost no cooldown so its always on your mind as a re-positioning option.

If she were to get a new ability it would ideally have to be something that she could use more 'outside of combat' or something that is generally used much more rarely.

That said there are some things we can do to help her out in the near future.

Kyrios

Reinhardt is Overwatch’s most straightforward tank. He’s got a big ol’ hammer, lots of armor, and a holographic shield allies can shoot through but enemies can’t.

• Your shield is not invincible, and it will eventually shatter. While waiting for it to recharge, don’t be afraid to go on the offensive a bit. Charge someone if they’re nearby, or just go smashy smashy with your hammer for a second. It’s better than running and hiding, as that strategy leaves your team entirely tankless.
  • Always be on the lookout for enemies who want to get behind your shield. Harassers like Tracer can get your back if you’re not careful, as can grenade lobbers like Junkrat and snipers like Widowmaker. I’ve even come across crafty Roadhogs who flank ‘n’ yank. You don’t want to be flanked and yanked. Trust me.
  • Above all else, your goal is to absorb damage. Your team is reliant on you. Without you, the formation crumbles. Prioritize that first and foremost.

Have your shield up 90% of the time. Once your team picks off two or three guys, rush in and add your damage so you can help finish off the rest because 3 or 4 guys won't really make a difference, shield or not. Always fire strike where there are s you get 10% ult charge off of it. Only charge when your team wants to be aggressive and they start pushing past your shield. Try and slowly walk towards the point with your shield up and once you get close enough to the point, charge in there and start killing people because your shield won't be as useful in close quarters. Like every other ult, use it at the right time. It's generally a counter ult, so use it on Genji swords, Ana ults, etc. Make sure you have a healer with you when you charge in as a lot of people will focus on you.

Okay excellent, thank you both! I'll keep going over all of these points and hopefully I should be good to go.

Definitely seems like you need more situational awareness than any other tank character, which is cool because I spent a lot of time as support before getting pretty good with D.Va.

Some mechanics things:
Your hammer hitbox is massive and reaches even to your sides.
Your shield regenerates while you have it off; if it breaks, it recharges a lot slower.
If you hit your firestrike on multiple targets you get a lot of ult charge out of it.
You can't stop your shoulder charge before hitting a wall or its maximum range (which is quite far), but you can steer during it.
Several attacks can go through your shield: Symmetra's beams and energy spheres and Winston's tesla gun, Hanzo's dragon. Probably something else that I'm forgetting. People also can just walk through it.
However, you can block some ults from enemies, such as D.Va's.
You have the best highlight intro in the game.

I'd come up with something better right now, but I'm nearly passing out, and I feel like Reinhardt is fairly straight forward to be reasonably competent with.

Thank you! I did notice that last night that his shield can block D.Va's self-destruct, I was left a bit baffled at first lol

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
If everyone on the other team in competitive leaves, do I just not get points or something? That just happened and I'm hoping its just a bug

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
as much as i love zenyatta, i'll be thankful to see less of him in solo queue. because people dont know how to play him very well.

maomaoIYP

I decided to push my luck last night and added one more loss to the 5 game losing streak. I dropped from 61 to 57 in the space of a few hours. Last game was attack on Dorado, 3 teammates left alive, but none were on the payload. *Sigh*, there goes by wishes of hitting 65 before season ends. 17 more wins needed for a golden gun.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I actually barely touched Zen since the buff despite him being my third most played character prior

Ana too fun.

Okay excellent, thank you both! I'll keep going over all of these points and hopefully I should be good to go.

Definitely seems like you need more situational awareness than any other tank character, which is cool because I spent a lot of time as support before getting pretty good with D.Va.

D.Va plays somewhat similarly to Reinhardt, only that D.Va also has flanking capabilities, while Reinhardt is more the "in the middle of the action" kinda guy.
I would argue that Zarya requires a lot more situational awareness than any other tank, if not character, since your usefulness to your team really requires you to keep an eye out for all of them, but generally as a supportive hero type (tank or actual support) you have to be aware of the situation to note when to use your defensive skill/change healing targets/etc.

Pooya

they are also buffing Mei's ult.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748005067?page=5#post-81

While Mei currently doesn't see a ton of tournament or competitive play, I don't think shes super far off.

Currently her ult can feel a bit unwieldy and inconsistent, especially when you compare it to other similar ults such as Reinhardt's. We're internally testing allowing the ultimate projectile she throws to pierce barriers (such as Reinhardt's shield), and increasing the radius a bit on it.

disgusting!

I wonder if Defense Matrix still erases her projectile lol, it feels so good when it happens.

Anne

Genji's Dragonblade is the ability that needs to be neutered. Especially when you get Ana to "pump him up" and he can unleash hell upon your team.

Ish. In solo q it's just slightly too good. Knock 2 seconds off it, make it charge a bit slower. No need to neuter it.

Kyrios

D.Va plays somewhat similarly to Reinhardt, only that D.Va also has flanking capabilities, while Reinhardt is more the "in the middle of the action" kinda guy.
I would argue that Zarya requires a lot more situational awareness than any other tank, if not character, since your usefulness to your team really requires you to keep an eye out for all of them, but generally as a supportive hero type (tank or actual support) you have to be aware of the situation to note when to use your defensive skill/change healing targets/etc.

Very true, I haven't really checked out Zarya yet but that definitely makes sense now that I think about it just going from other players.

Seems like I should be good to go with Reinhardt.

Beckx

lol

competitive, dude lectures team on what to pick

then complains that lucio isn't healing him

then quits

people, man

Just had a game where I suddenly couldn't spawn. Timer said "You will respawn in 0 seconds" and just sat there. Switched heroes, paused unpaused, nothing.

Blues1990

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom