• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Skii

Super
Shit
Meta😒😒😒

Yup.

I really hope Blizzard nerf Soldier and Dva asap as imo this is the least diverse the meta has ever been. It's laughable that the only tank buster is absolutely terrible in a tank heavy meta. Every game I play even on QP has at least 3 of the big 6. I'm sure that'll translate over the competitive tonight.

xaosslug

Nah. They could make her dmg boost apply to multiple targets. Kind of like Combat Girl from SMNC.

i don't think this will push her in hard enough, because she'll just be diet Zenyatta, when peeps want diet Lucio. LOL

What happened to Mercy anyway? I just got back into the game after a few months, and suddenly no team is using her, when she was a regular on every pro team the last time I watched anything.

first she was forced out by buffed Zenyatta, and then by nAna. Other healers that can do more + heal, but also pair better w/ Lucio who stays ruling the meta roost.

Lucio has been distinctly useful in a way no other hero is since before the game released.

Reinhardt has been distinctly useful in a way no other hero is since before the game released.

They probably need to figure these two things out.

A fellow SMNC fan in the wild! I like you. RIP SMNC, she died too young :'(

I had to let go.

I hate the idea of saying Video Games could be an addiction, but I seriously had some major problems there for a while.

Edit: It didn't help that the devs were becoming total asshats by the end, though.

Oh, man. I was way into both MNC and SMNC.

Agreed about the devs. Their whole pitch of "we're not diverting any forces from this to do our other game!" and then the stunt they pulled with the pricing of Planetary Annihilation... eek. To date, the only dev that I will never purchase from in the future.

Which is a drag, because, like I said, I loved those games.

As for OW, I haven't played much lately. Haven't had the time, partly, and the other part is that I haven't felt like mustering the energy when I do. I really don't want to start another season just yet. I'd be happy pushing it off until after the new year.

xaosslug

Lucio has been distinctly useful in a way no other hero is since before the game released.

Reinhardt has been distinctly useful in a way no other hero is since before the game released.

They probably need to figure these two things out.

Blizz is trying something w/ Sombra & Symm... we'll see how things go this season! LOL

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Still think Lucio should have just been an attack character with only speed boost and his wallriding. Why give him all the tools to wallride and pick up a ton of momentum and not make him an assassin?

xaosslug

Still think Lucio should have just been an attack character with only speed boost and his wallriding. Why give him all the tools to wallride and pick up a ton of momentum and not make him an assassin?

looking at how Blizz keeps nerfing his healing... this might be the case, soon!

Blizz is trying something w/ Sombra & Symm... we'll see how things go this season! LOL
Not sure we're going to see much Sombra in the short term, since people complain about her damage output and undervalue much of the disruption she does.

I think she's going to be the new Ana where she's ignored until Blizzard buffs her, and then she'll be OP.

looking at how Blizz keeps nerfing his healing... this might be the case, soon!
They should just return his healing to what it was originally and change it so that hitting E plays a random voice line instead of amping anything up.

Balanced.

i don't think this will push her in hard enough, because she'll just be diet Zenyatta, when peeps want diet Lucio. LOL

first she was forced out by buffed Zenyatta, and then by nAna. Other healers that can do more + heal, but also pair better w/ Lucio who stays ruling the meta roost.

I think they idea is every support needs to have a healing function, and a secondary function.

Lucio is Movement Speed
Mercy is Damage increase
Zenyatta is Damage intake
Anna is Healing intake/negation

Just like with his healing, Lucio's movement speed impacts his entire party, not just 1 target.

Personally, I think they should remove his "amp it up" ability and replace it with something else.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Buff his damage then

or revert to his old beta melee damage

fuck yall if mercy ruins half the roster just because she's not 'included' though. tell that shit to bastion or torb who are gimmick picks.

So I haven't played comp since the beginning of the last season. What do I need to know to gear back up for S3? Just read the latest Overbuff meta report? Any other useful info?

So I haven't played comp since the beginning of the last season. What do I need to know to gear back up for S3? Just read the latest Overbuff meta report? Any other useful info?

Not really. So many changes recently that the comp scene hasn't really settled on whats what. Plus upcoming Sym changes are going to throw a wrench in as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Symmetra's changes, ideally, are more exciting to me than any of the new heroes so far. One reason I always go back to Team Fortress 2 is how much shit the TF2 engi has going on. There's so much maintenance and quick decision making involved in that class.

Torb just feels one note. And Symmetra's teleporter is more like a powerup than any sort of building maintenance.

Soldier, Three tanks (Rein, Hog, D.Va) and Ana works in almost every situation right now if you can get the teamwork down right.

If sym goes live in her current state, you may see her in the other support slot in that comp on def. Shit would be scary.

NeoRaider

I didn't really play much of S1 and S2. But i would really like to play competitive more this time and be better, i think that i can do it. It's just that solo q is so, so bad and just not worth it. Even with one or two friends it can be bad, but it's better than QP i guess...

I forgot are we able to play placement matches as group? Or it needs to be solo? First two seasons i lost 5 or 6 out of 10. :/

I didn't really play much of S1 and S2. But i would really like to play competitive more this time and be better, i think that i can do it. It's just that solo q is so, so bad and just not worth it. Even with one or two friends it can be bad, but it's better than QP i guess...

I forgot are we able to play placement matches as group? Or it needs to be solo? First two seasons i lost 5 or 6 out of 10. :/

Placement matches can be played together as long as 1 person doesn't have a SR of over 3000 I think.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Apologies for my ignorance, but I've googled and haven't found a clear answer. What is the definition of "meta" in the context of Overwatch?

Apologies for my ignorance, but I've googled and haven't found a clear answer. What is the definition of "meta" in the context of Overwatch?

It's like a mutually agreed upon "best" team composition.

When that composition has a broad base with lots of interchangeable parts, it's fun for everyone. That's a Good Meta.

When it's pretty narrow and there are a number of must-picks that you see game in and game out, it's not as fun. That's a Shit Meta.

A comp that uses the characters with the best synergy in a given patch. They are generally all very strong characters on their own as well. So Ana for the last few months was in every comp because of her synergy and personal abilities.

Kito

I really want to use Ana for placements but it just takes 1 Pharah to focus and destroy me. Hopefully Soldier meta keeps the skies clear. No Pharahs will be an easy diamond for me.

A lot of characters in this game don't really have synergy, and Overwatch being a team based game relies heavily on synergy.

The meta is basically a short list of heroes that work the best and/or are the most powerful out of the current 23 characters.

I say short, but it's usually about 12ish characters

Anne

Y'all do realize the main source of the Korean meta team is Ana right? They should look at her before they do anything.

Anyways, outside of the Korean meta team interesting things are happening. I'm very curious to see what stuff like the Misfits comp would be able to do if Ana weren't around.

edit: To the post above mine, ehhhhhh. I think there is a lot of synergy in Overwatch. The big meta teams don't just exist because the individual heroes are strong, it's because they come together to form some pretty good stuff. Like I think this Soldier and McCree can exist side by side, you just see Soldier dominate for other reasons.

Y'all do realize the main source of the Korean meta team is Ana right? They should look at her before they do anything.

Anyways, outside of the Korean meta team interesting things are happening. I'm very curious to see what stuff like the Misfits comp would be able to do if Ana weren't around.

edit: To the post above mine, ehhhhhh. I think there is a lot of synergy in Overwatch. The big meta teams don't just exist because the individual heroes are strong, it's because they come together to form some pretty good stuff. Like I think this Soldier and McCree can exist side by side, you just see Soldier dominate for other reasons.

Literally the definition of synergy.

Anne

I think you're both saying the same thing. Kor, I think, was saying that there is a short list of 12 chars that are meta, because the others don't work as well together.

Okay that makes a lot more sense. I can kind of agree to that, but only for a few characters. The ones that you see near the bottom are pretty much the antithesis of the more common types of strats that have existed over time.

ISOM

I really want to use Ana for placements but it just takes 1 Pharah to focus and destroy me. Hopefully Soldier meta keeps the skies clear. No Pharahs will be an easy diamond for me.

Your Ana is supposed to be one of her counters bruh.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
It's like a mutually agreed upon "best" team composition.

When that composition has a broad base with lots of interchangeable parts, it's fun for everyone. That's a Good Meta.

When it's pretty narrow and there are a number of must-picks that you see game in and game out, it's not as fun. That's a Shit Meta.

A comp that uses the characters with the best synergy in a given patch. They are generally all very strong characters on their own as well. So Ana for the last few months was in every comp because of her synergy and personal abilities.

A lot of characters in this game don't really have synergy, and Overwatch being a team based game relies heavily on synergy.

The meta is basically a short list of heroes that work the best and/or are the most powerful out of the current 23 characters.

I say short, but it's usually about 12ish characters

Cool - thanks for the definition, that makes good sense.

I'm slowly picking up the concepts that surround Overwatch - I kinda wish I had picked up this game earlier.

Okay that makes a lot more sense. I can kind of agree to that, but only for a few characters. The ones that you see near the bottom are pretty much the antithesis of the more common types of strats that have existed over time.

Definitely. There are uses for most characters, but the bottom are either niche and used only in certain circumstances into specific comps or they just require too much in comparison to other choices that could be made.

Cool - thanks for the definition, that makes good sense.

I'm slowly picking up the concepts that surround Overwatch - I kinda wish I had picked up this game earlier.

Truth is the "Meta" doesn't apply to most players. Unless you're trying to break into the Top 500 or something, the "Meta" likely doesn't apply to you.

So just find yourself 4 or 5 characters you can get good with, and pick between those based on your current team composition.

Blues1990

So, who ya'll playing for placements tonight? I'm thinking Zen / Mr Hog / Dad76

As much as I want to continue playing Zarya, I think I'll put in effort with getting more efficient with D.Va or Roadhog, as I'm usually flying solo when playing this game. Lucio will always be a good standby (though I don't like that he's basically a speed bot), but I'll also put equal effort with getting better with Zenyatta and Ana. Won't hurt to get better with Mei, as I've been watching Segal's video streams when he's playing her.

But, yeah. I don't know what to do this time around, let alone know when the PC Overwatch folks are up to play with me in Season 3.

Not really. So many changes recently that the comp scene hasn't really settled on whats what. Plus upcoming Sym changes are going to throw a wrench in as well.
That's somewhat reassuring to know it's in flux so I won't be the only one figuring things back out!
Soldier, Three tanks (Rein, Hog, D.Va) and Ana works in almost every situation right now if you can get the teamwork down right.

If sym goes live in her current state, you may see her in the other support slot in that comp on def. Shit would be scary.
Ugh a three tank meta? Kill me. At least I can play a competent Hog and D.Va.

Truth is the "Meta" doesn't apply to most players. Unless you're trying to break into the Top 500 or something, the "Meta" likely doesn't apply to you.

So just find yourself 4 or 5 characters you can get good with, and pick between those based on your current team composition.

Seconded, at least one from each category of hero preferably

Anne

Even at pro level people are trying to reject sticking too strictly to the metagame. I think at this point in time the game isn't developed to a point where even at pro level you need to stick to 100% metagame to win. I think anyways, Misfits kind of proved it even though DH was a weaker team pool. I fully expect that to change over time like with every other game that has ever existed. You'll have to play into meta at some point or another.

The big take away from metagaming for the average player is just seeing how teams are constructed and how to select heroes to best maximize their chances of winning. Like, you don't have to run the Korean tank team, but you need to know how the ideas work with it so you can come up with your own thing. Like even if you are diamond you might run into meta teams or teams constructed with metagamign in mind at any rate, and you should be able to think and build your own ideas off that.

Cappa

Banned
Meta report: https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-...-list-and-meta-report-who-s-meta-is-it-anyway

D.Va <3

Zarya D:

I played him a few hours and I think he can be really fun, if you are agressive without overextending. Pinning someone and landing a finishing blow with a firestrike never gets old.

This season I won't play Lucio anymore, unless I really want to or if I'm playing with friends. Randoms can go f*ck themselves this time, I was suprised to see that I have almost ~70h with him ffs.

I'll be on later tooooooo

Also I hope people shut up about the meta ... it's dumb and pretty irrelevant for like 99% of the player base I'm glad misfits pretty much proved that too. Good times ahead lol

Anne

Like, a bit of a spoiler about the Misfits thing. They don't have the hero pool to run three tanks. They just can't run it very well at all. So instead of being subpar copycats (Fnatic is a good team but they seemed ill prepared to run the strat) they came up with their own strat. The real spoiler is their strat was developed with trip tank + Ana comps in mind. They developed their own surprise strat that took advantage of those teams and the specific talent pool they expected to play against. So saying "the metagme doesn't matter to them" is kind of horseshit considering that they actually just fully engaged with metagaming just with the particular hero pool they had available to them. I'm 100% positive if they had the hero pool to run the Korean tank team they would just drill it along with maybe one other strat to try like the one they used at DH.

The real question is whether or not that strat will stand up over time or in the face of teams that are much more prepared to deal with it. The answer is on shaky ground considering the way DH was set up.

Sullichin

I'm ready for the poison environment that is competitive. At least it will be better than quick play with attack widows and torbs and bastions

Paltheos

What happened to Mercy anyway? I just got back into the game after a few months, and suddenly no team is using her, when she was a regular on every pro team the last time I watched anything.

The biggest drop off came when Blizzard nerfed her ult charge. Mercy used to build ult so fast that it was not uncommon to see several from both sides in a match, sometimes multiples in a single engagement.

Kito

Ana happened. Also, Zen got extra shields.

Skii

It absolutely applies to most players.

It's almost fact at this point that a team with Rein will beat a team without Rein on payload maps. There's a reason why certain heroes are recommended for carrying because they are the meta heroes who are supposed to be one of, if not the best in their class. The average Ana for example will move up rank quicker than the average Mercy. The average Soldier will move up quicker than the average Reaper etc.

It's all well and good saying "just practice your favourite heroes and you'll move up but that's implying that everyone else will just stand still whilst you get better with your heroes. It's just that those people will be practicing with heroes that are sometimes significantly better at their job than what your favourite heroes are.

Like I'm seeing Soldier, Dva, Ana, Roadhog in almost every game on QP. And my QP MMR is around gold level. It's clear people are practicing them for season 3 and if people at such low ranks are participating in the meta, it could be difficult for non meta heroes to shoot up in ranks.

Top Bottom