• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I dunno man, I sometimes feel like I've met more bad mercies than anas. There's a real difference between a mercy that can pull off clutch resses and those that can't.

If everyone is doing their job, Mercy shouldn't have to res the whole team in the first place.

And the only bad Mercies I've seen are the ones that just pocket their friend or just never use her ult at all, and those are pretty rare. I've seen plenty of Anas that just can't aim for shit.

BigDug13

That's pretty much entirely dependent on how well someone on your team can play Ana.

If it's a tank heavy team you don't even need good aim. Just plug the backs of those huge bodies and throw a grenade to make your healing 3x mercy strength.

Mercy ult relies on her NOT doing her healing job and just hiding. Ana ult is completely superior since it doesn't rely on her stopping her main job.

If it's a tank heavy team you don't even need good aim. Just plug the backs of those huge bodies and throw a grenade to make your healing 3x mercy strength.

I almost never play on Tank-heavy teams.

Eh, people dying in team fights to get number/ult advantage is pretty much the point of mercy.

I'm pretty sure the point of a healer is to, you know, heal? So the team doesn't die? Res is more of a last resort for me usually.

Then you got the disaster mercy players who waited to get that 5 man res and pulls it off right when an enemy dragon just started flying into the group

BigDug13

Mercy needs a new ult. An ult that doesn't discourage her from doing her main job. Her current ult is stupid because it runs counter to her whole job of keeping everyone healed. Alternative fix would be to make her beam invisible to others so that there isn't a huge beacon highlighting her location.

Think about this: Mercy is the ONLY healer in the game that has visible healing that can lead enemies to its source. Ana can heal on the sly from long range. Zen can throw an orb from long distance and hide for 3 seconds. Lucio heals everyone in LOS. Mercy is fucked on this front because of that beam. If they hid the beam from our sights, she would be a LOT better.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I almost never play on Tank-heavy teams.

I'm pretty sure the point of a healer is to, you know, heal? So the team doesn't die? Res is more of a last resort for me usually.

I mean she heals, but res play is pretty crucial. In pubs where it's less coordinated maybe but back in the mercy meta it's all about which mercy can pull off the better res.

ISOM

Mercy needs a new ult. An ult that doesn't discourage her from doing her main job. Her current ult is stupid because it runs counter to her whole job of keeping everyone healed. Alternative fix would be to make her beam invisible to others so that there isn't a huge beacon highlighting her location.

Think about this: Mercy is the ONLY healer in the game that has visible healing that can lead enemies to its source. Ana can heal on the sly from long range. Zen can throw an orb from long distance and hide for 3 seconds. Lucio heals everyone in LOS. Mercy is fucked on this front because of that beam. If they hid the beam from our sights, she would be a LOT better.

Then you might as well redesign the whole character. There's no point of heaving a staff like weapon if a healing beam doesn't come from it.

BigDug13

I mean she heals, but res play is pretty crucial. In pubs where it's less coordinated maybe but back in the mercy meta it's all about which mercy can pull off the better res.

That's part of her shit design based on the fact that her healing beam is visible as I said above. Getting off the perfect res relies on you NOT doing your job because it's impossible to hide while healing. The only support classes that get to hide while healing is every single other healer besides Mercy.

Oh and by the way, Mercy has the shortest range for healing of any support class.

Nimby

Banned

I mean it should be. Your main point as Mercy is to heal until you get Res, and hide somewhere so you don't die and potentially waste it.

If Mercy is killed before she can Res it's one of the biggest wastes in the game. It's also not an ultimate you just use willy-nilly.

I don't know, I'm kinda of the opinion that if you died, you probably fucked up in some way.

Not that you're even necessarily wrong, but it does make absolutely zero sense for a healer to just let the team die, at least from a character standpoint.

Seems weird to have the old Symmetra starting season 3. The way they ended season 2 with Sombra really makes me think they have to work on their timing a bit better lol.

Antiwhippy

I don't know, I'm kinda of the opinion that if you died, you probably fucked up in some way.

Not that you're even necessarily wrong, but it does make absolutely zero sense for a healer to just let the team die, at least from a character standpoint.

That's why mercy is in such a weird state right now honestly, and why she's at a 0% pickrate in tournaments.

At our level she can just heal and it's OK most of the time, but I'd still honestly take the utility of every other healer. I still groan whenever I see mercies running out in the open and getting ganked with ult, which is like every mercy I've met nowadays.

Sullichin

I mean it should be. Your main point as Mercy is to heal until you get Res, and hide somewhere so you don't die and potentially waste it.

If Mercy is killed before she can Res it's one of the biggest wastes in the game. It's also not an ultimate you just use willy-nilly.

I've seen a lot of Mercy players waiting for that perfect clutch 4-5 man res and dying when they probably should have popped it when a couple of teammates were dead. I'm probably guilty of it too

A Mercy without a visible healing ray beam would be insane. Enough people already ignore the Mercy healing a tank in QP

Seems weird to have the old Symmetra starting season 3. The way they ended season 2 with Sombra really makes me think they have to work on their timing a bit better lol.

Just like how they released Ana near the end of season 1, or how they keep rebalancing the game in the middle of comp seasons. It's really not great for comp, but the playerbase would certainly complain if they only updated every 3 months or so, between seasons.

Not much Blizzard can do really.

Hmm, the healing beam being invisible is actually a good idea. Just make it invisible to enemies. I think that would work fine.

Mercy would still have to be pretty close and in line of sight, so it wouldn't help all that much in terms of helping keep her alive.

BigDug13

Then you might as well redesign the whole character. There's no point of heaving a staff like weapon if a healing beam doesn't come from it.

Healing beams still come from it, but it's invisible to everyone. When Gandalf used spells, there weren't fireballs or other VISIBLE magical effects coming from his staff. The staff can still function without "pew pew pew" coming out of it to show where the mercy is located. It's impossible for her to hide.

Skii

I was going to do my placements tonight but I've just lost 5 one vs one matches in a row, lost 2 all brawl matches and 3 QP matches consecutively. I'm definitely not tilted.

Healing beams still come from it, but it's invisible to everyone. When Gandalf used spells, there weren't fireballs or other VISIBLE magical effects coming from his staff. The staff can still function without "pew pew pew" coming out of it to show where the mercy is located. It's impossible for her to hide.

Given that she's pretty heavily based on the TF2 Medic, I think that's actually the entire point of the healing beam being visible to the other team, although it probably doesn't work as well in this game as it does there.

BigDug13

Given that she's pretty heavily based on the TF2 Medic, I think that's actually the entire point of the healing beam being visible to the other team, although it probably doesn't work as well in this game as it does there.

Then she will continue to be an inferior medic to Ana. Or even Zen who has greater range, can debuff and attack at the same time, can do incredible healing during Ult.

I honestly hate playing Mercy. I just don't think she is as good as any other healing support.

Then she will continue to be an inferior medic to Ana. Or even Zen who has greater range, can debuff and attack at the same time, can do incredible healing during Ult.

I honestly hate playing Mercy. I just don't think she is as good as any other healing support.

She was the fastest single-target healer before Ana existed. If they un-buff Ana's firing rate (and maybe reduce it a bit beyond that), she might become more useful.

Even still, plenty of people main Mercy and perform really well with her, and she's probably my personal favorite healer to play, so I'm not entirely sure there's an actual problem with her outside of professional Overwatch.

Antiwhippy

Oh I've got no problem playing with people who are good at mercy. I don't mind people playing heroes they're good at even if they are off-meta.

It's just that I've met plenty of "Argh I have to heal guess I'll just go mercy for EZ heals" and are just plain bad. Like, I don't think mercy is the easiest healer at all. A good mercy vs a bad one is very evident.

So I just played 2 placement matches (even though I dont know what they are for :p)

Won one, lost one.

Dont know how bad it is.

Anyone else to join now PC - NA?

RaijinCain#1878

Sullichin

So I just played 2 placement matches (even though I dont know what they are for :p)

Won one, lost one.

Dont know how bad it is.

Anyone else to join now PC - NA?

RaijinCain#1878

After 10 placement matches you get assigned a Skill Rating (SR) and placed in a tier based on that number. You can climb to the next tier once you hit the next threshold. You lose SR when you lose and win some when you win.

What a fucking surprise, first placement match and we get a Sombra who never EMPs or hacks and only switches after we lose the round. And the other half of randos that thinks spawn killing is more important than killing the 5 guys on the point pushing in the payload.

I'm slowly starting to remember why I stopped playing Comp

What a fucking surprise, first placement match and we get a Sombra who never EMPs or hacks and only switches after we lose the round. And the other half of randos that thinks spawn killing is more important than killing the 5 guys on the point pushing in the payload.

I'm slowly starting to remember why I stopped playing Comp
I'd give it a few days, idiots and trolls are out in full force right now

xaosslug

so, those of you venturing into ranked on the first day... how goes it? I played a bunch of fake ranked today and it was a hotass mess full of leavers. >__<

Oh I've got no problem playing with people who are good at mercy. I don't mind people playing heroes they're good at even if they are off-meta.

It's just that I've met plenty of "Argh I have to heal guess I'll just go mercy for EZ heals" and are just plain bad. Like, I don't think mercy is the easiest healer at all. A good mercy vs a bad one is very evident.

If I want to play someone super easy, I typically go Lucio. Plus, the difficulty of a character is kinda dependent on what you're good at. I find Mei and Zarya pretty simple to get a handle on, but McCree and Reaper just don't click with me for some reason.

I've already lost two of my placement matches for Season 3. Feels bad, man. :(

Eh, don't sweat placement matches too much. None of it will matter in the long run, and it's going to place you lower than you should be regardless.

komaruR

its best to wait for a bit. when season starter you gonna be pair with so much unrank that its a mix bag of rngness.
let the players get where they're at to set the baseline for the time being. + gotta see how the new placement match making works (is it really gonna place you a little lower than where you ended on S2 or not).

Your s2 rank > placement performance so try to not get so tilted.

Is it more based on your final rank or your season high? Because those are two very different things for me.

its best to wait for a bit. when season starter you gonna be pair with so much unrank that its a mix bag of rngness.
let the players get where they're at to set the baseline for the time being. + gotta see how the new placement match making works (is it really gonna place you a little lower than where you ended on S2 or not).

Either do this or get a full team. Worked out well for me last season.

Top Bottom