• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
then how do you explain widow and hanzo mains? Cause those people can't aim for shit and ruin the time for everyone else

They like to think that they can aim.

TBF I've met some incredible widow and hanzo mains. Those are few and rare though.

Also I feel like there are way more junkrat mains than widow/hanzo mains nowadays.

Prelude.

Ah, I guess Pharah requires some aim, but the splash buff and lowered skill ceiling from knockback keeps it from being a necessity like some of the other offense heroes.

And yeah, apparently even at Master people try to stick to heroes they have no reason to be playing. Still running into Junkrat/Pharah who won't switch is the worst thing in the world.
If we're talking meta, every dps is dead except for Soldier, but putting Pharah and Junkrat in the same basket is ludicrous.

I just learned how toxic people in PC comp can be.

A close friend just called me in tears because some asshat decided to put the blame of a quick 1st round loss solely on her, constantly yelling sexit slanders and derogatory terms over chat during the intermission because she played Junkrat and he didn't like that. She switched to Mercy for round 2, and when they eventually won, he gave props to everyone but her. What did he tell her? More yelling and sexist slander.

Antiwhippy

Eh still too early to call that. I know NRG isn't an amazing top tier team but seagull has been talking about the viability of tracer and genji and he thinks that they can do work with discord against 3 tanks.

http://imgur.com/a/7XGTG

maomaoIYP

Ah, I guess Pharah requires some aim, but the splash buff and lowered skill ceiling from knockback keeps it from being a necessity like some of the other offense heroes.

And yeah, apparently even at Master people try to stick to heroes they have no reason to be playing. Still running into Junkrat/Pharah who won't switch is the worst thing in the world.
I have a smurf account where I only play Pharah and only solo queue. She was still very viable in S2, I got her placed at 3178.
She feels infinitely less viable in S3 and people throw matches right from the start and send me angry messages even though everyone else is also playing dps and there are no tanks or healers.

If we're talking meta, every dps is dead except for Soldier, but putting Pharah and Junkrat in the same basket is ludicrous.

They have the same fundamental problems though. They are hard pressed to actually kill anything a significant portion of the time, provide trash damage to charge enemy support ults, and get called out harder than just about any character for making basic mistakes.

Genji/Tracer/McCree are still more than alive, but the comp has to fit around them a bit more than may have been necessary in the past. Even Reaper can deal with a trouble Zarya/Winston and still get picks in fights. Pharah, on the other hand, can only deal with Rein and possibly Hog effectively, but for her to do so puts her at far greater risk than should be necessary due to the fact that you will likely have at least two of Soldier/Ana/McCree on any given team.

I have a smurf account where I only play Pharah and only solo queue. She was still very viable in S2, I got her placed at 3178.
She feels infinitely less viable in S3 and people throw matches right from the start and send me angry messages even though everyone else is also playing dps and there are no tanks or healers.

Yeah, like, don't get me wrong there- a good pharah still puts in work. But her risk/reward is so messed up at the moment, it's hard to justify her on many maps. I'd like to see her get something, but it's a fine line for her in particular.

I also don't believe in sending toxic messages or throwing, so those people are idiots.

Prelude.

They have the same fundamental problems though. They are hard pressed to actually kill anything a significant portion of the time, provide trash damage to charge enemy support ults, and get called out harder than just about any character for making basic mistakes.
But they're not even remotely on the same level, their kits are just not comparable at all. It's like throwing a rock at a target against letting it roll down a bumpy hill.

Jesus my placements are going terrible. Lost 3 so far, and all of them have been in the Diamond/Master range.

Either no heals or terrible DPS in the matches, none of them have even been close.

HMD

I literally almost never see Widow on consoles, especially on comp. Doesn't OW have KB+M support on consoles?

But they're not even remotely on the same level, their kits are just not comparable at all. It's like throwing a rock at a target against letting it roll down a bumpy hill.
I would actually argue that with their current kits Junkrat's skill ceiling is higher than Pharah's due to the bounce on the grenades off of walls, concussion mine having similar properties to the blast, and having more setups/area denial tools available.

But their kits have a lot more in common than explosives than many people think

komaruR

Jesus my placements are going terrible. Lost 3 so far, and all of them have been in the Diamond/Master range.

Either no heals or terrible DPS in the matches, none of them have even been close.

from the past experience of people doing bad at placement but their end season rank in S2 was at diamond+, they usually still get ranked around there.

Apathy

win or lose it doesn't matter, it's more on your personal results and how well you performed

Pharah isn't bad for dive comps. I usually play Genji or Tracer while one of my buds plays Pharah and that works pretty well. He focuses on the tanks with Pharah, while I go in on the squishes.

Give me Pharah over attack Junkrat every single time. Random Pharahs are more likely to switch off when it isn't working than random Junkrat mains as well in my experience.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I find SR gain to be more about personal performance this season.

For ana, once my SR gain normalised, I've been losing only about 18-15 SR and gaining 25-30 SR on average.

from the past experience of people doing bad at placement but their end season rank in S2 was at diamond+, they usually still get ranked around there.

Hope so. I feel like im getting matched with Platinum/Gold rank players on my team.

Currently have a Sombra who hasnt hacked a single health kit,

Skii

Solo Ana can be incredibly hard though. As in a situation like that she needs to stay up or every fight will be lost. So she has to be good at positioning. But then she can be dove incredibly easy, and in addition has to deal with teammates leaving her los. If either happen, she has to hope her team can protect her as she leaves her position to go play on the front line and hopefully keep everyone up without getting picked. She also does have self healing, but that means she's losing out on the burst healing you will inevitably need for your frontline. It's possible to run solo Ana, but everyone's job gets a lot harder for doing so.

Really 2 support is more necessary than anything else in the game right now. It's not so much about having a second source of healing as it is about making sure your main source of healing stays up and safe. Ana has the healing power to work solo, but as much sustain and power as she has, she loses out pretty hard in a lot of situations without a second healer.

Yeah that's a fair assessment. I was dying almost instantly as Rein because they would all just dive me and my team did absolutely nothing to stop them lol. So the same probably happened to Ana and I didn't notice. But I still feel like Ana should be healing more than Zen. Maybe I just had a mad Zen game.

I'm doing so crap this season. Last season was platinum and enjoyed my time solo comp play, up and downs win wise of course but it was mostly a fun time at least.

Now I'm low-end gold and I'm really struggling, losing like 10+ games in a row and it is hardly ever a competition, just constantly getting destroyed. It sucks.

I haven't changed how I play, I have no idea what is going on. I'd be the first to say well maybe you were just being carried by decent teams before and now that you're not turns out you're shit too.... but I'm on Zenny getting gold medals in support and attack. :(

Hell yes, just won three really tight matches in solo queue (including one where two different members of the team disconnected and reconnected during the course of the match) and finally pushed past the Gold barrier to 2024. Now I just need to decide which golden gun to pick when the season is over.

One thing I learned from tonight's matches: never be afraid to switch things up, because it can change the dynamic of the match in unexpected ways. The second match I played my main Zarya the whole time and we killed it, but the first and third I ended up switching to Pharah and then Genji, and in the third match to D.Va and then to Zenyatta, and both final picks ended up making a big difference in pushing to the win.

Lost an easy win because of a Symmetra troll. I'll never understand their logic. Their peak rank was like 3800 too, now they are like 3100

DevilDog

Both junkrat and pharah don't require great aim to do well with. They're both brainless spammers tbh, unless the pharah is doing a 1v1 with an enemy pharah, holy shit that is the best thing ever.

Team rather bitch at me for playing Torbjorn because I wasn't going to solo heal carry than to swap to healer themselves lol.

Even said I'd duo if someone would just switch. I love this game sometimes

ISOM

Team rather bitch at me for playing Torbjorn because I wasn't going to solo heal carry than to swap to healer themselves lol.

Even said I'd duo if someone would just switch. I love this game sometimes

Had a teammate in comp who switched to Widowmaker on attack and asked me to switch off Zen to Lucio because I was the only solo heal. I was like, you get off Widow then. He said no, so I said "Then don't ask me to switch from Zen to Lucio".

Some people have some gall or zero self awareness.

Apathy

Had a teammate in comp who switched to Widowmaker on attack and asked me to switch off Zen to Lucio because I was the only solo heal. I was like, you get off Widow then. He said no, so I said "Then don't ask me to switch from Zen to Lucio".

people are getting crazy, now they are not satisfied with the type of healer they get. they should be happy to get a healer at all

Yeah nothing triggers me quicker than people who think they are entitled to a healer workhorse. And this is coming from someone who usually ends up having to heal every match.

For one its boring as fuck when 90% of my matches are on Mercy/Lucio/Zen. And two it seems most of the time I could easily outplay one of our DPS teammates

maomaoIYP

people are getting crazy, now they are not satisfied with the type of healer they get. they should be happy to get a healer at all

Actually I insta-locked Zen for all 10 of my placement games, in 9 games there was someone who chose to go Lucio subsequently as well. I'm quite sure that if I had insta-locked Lucio from the start there would be a much lower chance of having dual support in all of the games.

Actually I insta-locked Zen for all 10 of my placement games, in 9 games there was someone who chose to go Lucio subsequently as well. I'm quite sure that if I had insta-locked Lucio from the start there would be a much lower chance of having dual support in all of the games.

Console or PC?

When I heal I always insta-lock Mercy or Zen, and I still have to beg for someone else to heal with me most of the time unless I'm lucky or get matched with intelligent teammates

antitrop

Lucio sucks so bad for solo-healing now. After the last patch, I'll pick Mercy or Ana if I have to solo heal. If you're Lucio, all you can do is shrug while the tanks look for health packs, on top of not even being able to use speed boost.

Apathy

Yeah nothing triggers me quicker than people who think they are entitled to a healer workhorse. And this is coming from someone who usually ends up having to heal every match.

For one its boring as fuck when 90% of my matches are on Mercy/Lucio/Zen. And two it seems most of the time I could easily outplay one of our DPS teammates

reminds me too much of wow, dps complain about not enough healers but never actually want to play one

Moonkeis

I just learned how toxic people in PC comp can be.

A close friend just called me in tears because some asshat decided to put the blame of a quick 1st round loss solely on her, constantly yelling sexit slanders and derogatory terms over chat during the intermission because she played Junkrat and he didn't like that. She switched to Mercy for round 2, and when they eventually won, he gave props to everyone but her. What did he tell her? More yelling and sexist slander.

Fuck that, I hope she reported him. And if the rest of her team just let him harass her like that, ridiculous. If I ever see any kind of crap like that, I would go off.

Lucio sucks so bad for solo-healing now. After the last patch, I'll pick Mercy or Ana if I have to solo heal. If you're Lucio, all you can do is shrug while the tanks look for health packs, on top of not even being able to use speed boost.

i wish they would've nerfed his speedboost further and left his healing. he was a godsend in shitty unorganised teams - not so much anymore.

Yeah, usually my experience in comp when soloq is to have 3 teammates instalocking DPS and then the 4th goes Torb/Sym/Widow trying to send a message.

80% of the time it ends with an awful team composition. My only hope is that the enemy team is also going through the same process, so we can all have a shitty game where everyone is happy being a troll. And in the end we all start spamming "thanks" either we win or lose.

I'm doing so crap this season. Last season was platinum and enjoyed my time solo comp play, up and downs win wise of course but it was mostly a fun time at least.

Now I'm low-end gold and I'm really struggling, losing like 10+ games in a row and it is hardly ever a competition, just constantly getting destroyed. It sucks.

I haven't changed how I play, I have no idea what is going on. I'd be the first to say well maybe you were just being carried by decent teams before and now that you're not turns out you're shit too.... but I'm on Zenny getting gold medals in support and attack. :(

They completed fucked up the SR this time around.

Also I feel you bro. Nothing but losses tonight, most of them totally onesided. I remember why I stopped playing competitive last season. The matchmaker for this game sucks balls. Since I started playing seasons three, maybe 10% of the matches have been good. Most of them have been been total stomps one way or the other.

Phew, managed to place right above Platinum, got 3018 with 2 wins, 1 draw, and 7 losses.

Yay for being a Diamond/Master rank player last season

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Phew, managed to place right above Platinum, got 3018 with 2 wins, 1 draw, and 7 losses.

Yay for being a Diamond/Master rank player last season

That's how I felt after my awful placements.

I really hate the current meta so I haven't played much since though.

OH MAN we just won 5v6 when a person bailed early oh my god

Q4fu8YI.jpg

Apathy

I was in arcade doing 6v6 mystery, and some guy after we captured first point goes over voice chat "hey guys i'm back sorry, i mean i'm back at my computer my bot is off" and then goes on the entire rest of the match complaining that someone else on the other team was hacking (it didn't seem like they were). Seriously people are so oblivious to projection

Can I add you?

Don't know if you like to play in groups, but I usually play with people from here and it's really fun. Maybe we can play together sometime.

Sure my PSN is SgtWiggles. My schedule will probably be erratic for like the next week because of finals though, probably wont be playing much till next weekend after tonight or tomorrow.

Top Bottom