• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I don't understand the point of being a troll. What sort of pathetic life has someone led that annoying others is how they have fun?

Winning in an exercise in exerting your power and taking control of a situation.

If you aren't good enough to win, you can get the same sense of power and control by griefing.

omgkitty

Sooo I'm still working on quick play... but why do people NOT play the objective?

It amazes me that people don't realize that running into a field by yourself is suicide.

Yep. The amount of people who play this like deathmatch is kinda ridiculous. There have been times where I'm trying to push the payload, and I'm the only one there and everyone else is off in random parts of the map dying.

Welcome to solo hell.

Like playing attack and pushing a payload and you have a Hanzo and Widowmaker on your team who refuse to switch :|

Solo hell is awful as mentioned on the last couple pages. My placements put me in Gold despite reaching Platinum last time and it's been really bad. Wish I had half decent people to group up with sometimes as the game has made me want to go against AI just for therapeutic reasons, haha.

I'm surprised you only placed at 2980, I always thought you were a 4k+ player. Maybe there's hope I can reach masters this season.

This was Anne's smurf, and her first season actually placing on this account, so it likely wasn't going to place as high as it should have based on that alone.

I can confirm that Anne is deserving of a position in 4K, however. And given the ease with which we hit master, I think she can totally do it this season. That's what we're trying for at least. Whether or not I can keep up remains to be seen.

What are those stars under the player portraits? I've been meaning to ask that for some time now.
They, uh.... they mean I've put some time into this game.

Like playing attack and pushing a payload and you have a Hanzo and Widowmaker on your team who refuse to switch :|

Those two can still be alright, especially if one of them switches and the other is a really good sniper, but what really grinds my gears is a Bastion on attack who keeps trying to set up a Siege mode, only to get knocked the fuck out by the enemy snipers or a flanking Soldier.

They, uh.... they mean I've put some time into this game.

How much time, exactly? I mean, does one star stand for 100 hours or something?

EDIT - Nevermind, just checked the Overwatch wiki. That's a lot of levels.

Those two can still be alright, especially if one of them switches and the other is a really good sniper, but what really grinds my gears is a Bastion on attack who keeps trying to set up a Siege mode, only to get knocked the fuck out by the enemy snipers or a flanking Soldier.

1 star = 1 promotion / 100 levels

EDIT - Nevermind, just checked the Overwatch wiki. That's a lot of levels.

Yeah, it's not exactly uncommon once you've played the game for a bit, though. I frequently run across people with Silver/Gold borders (lv 600+). But still, I've put more time into this game than Civ 5, and that is quite a bit, haha.

I love that the MSI tournament had to stop after the first game. If you were watching it, multiple members of NiP froze up during the game, and they were clearly upset about it. What a shitshow of a tournament.

I love that the MSI tournament had to stop after the first game. If you were watching it, multiple members of NiP froze up during the game, and they were clearly upset about it. What a shitshow of a tournament.

Was this the one I saw on Twitch yesterday? I loaded it up and it looked like it was meant to be yesterday but was delayed until today but not sure.

Anne

I'm surprised you only placed at 2980, I always thought you were a 4k+ player. Maybe there's hope I can reach masters this season.

Like Bumble said it was on an account that had never been used in comp until S3 and I did placements with a group of low diamonds and plats. I'm not some god player by any means, but I can pretty easily hang all the way through Master. Getting GM S2 was actually pretty hard though. This season I have no doubt its a bit more in the realm of possibility.

I'm pretty sure Master overwatch is hella wrong on distribution btw. It's easier to hit Master this season, but not literally 4x as easy.

Also to whoever asked I play on PC NA.

caesar

Banned
Like Bumble said it was on an account that had never been used in comp until S3 and I did placements with a group of low diamonds and plats. I'm not some god player by any means, but I can pretty easily hang all the way through Master. Getting GM S2 was actually pretty hard though. This season I have no doubt its a bit more in the realm of possibility.

I'm pretty sure Master overwatch is hella wrong on distribution btw. It's easier to hit Master this season, but not literally 4x as easy.

Also to whoever asked I play on PC NA.

Master overwatch is way wrong, They only count players who have been searched. If anything getting masters seems 'easier' because blizzard flattened the bell curve so if anything the players are there now because they deserve to be. At least according to the mmr algorithm.

Xzan

Ugh...this is the first season I've decided to commit time and effort into playing but it feels like I'm being punished for previous seasons.

• Season 1 - Place at 54, drop to 52 after a couple of games then stop playing because of Uni
  • Season 2 - Place at 2678, stay steady for a few matches then plummet to 2019 because I played support for teammates that couldn't kill or stick together, resulting in 20 straight losses. Eventually pulled it back up to 2383 before getting tired of the grind.
  • Season 3 - Place at 2309 and, 36 matches later, I've barely squeaked up to 2355.
The frustrating part is that I'm playing pretty well maining Zarya:
H71nqAP.png
MSd9lMf.png

I know stats are all relative to the quality of the teammates and opposition but its hard not to feel like I'm going unrewarded for my effort.

Just got to be patient I guess, especially with solo queue...

ChanMan

Solo hell is awful as mentioned on the last couple pages. My placements put me in Gold despite reaching Platinum last time and it's been really bad. Wish I had half decent people to group up with sometimes as the game has made me want to go against AI just for therapeutic reasons, haha.

It can be very frustrating playing solo quick play on the PS4 but when you get those really great competitive matches win/lose this game is amazing. However, on the flip side when your next game comes up with a different group/players it can really sour my experience. I really need friends to play this game haha.

Blues1990

Maybe take a break? Very rarely do I find that banging your head against a wall like that works. Always better to come back a little later.

Man, I don't know. I just find it frustrating that everyone is having success stories about going beyond their original rank, but I'm losing my mind with how flying solo this season has been anything BUT good for me.

Heropon

Finally finished my first positioning matches with 8 wins and 2 losses, and it has placed me in gold with 2253. I'm pretty happy, I didn't expect to do this well but it was in big part thanks to being in good teams, I can't complain at all about them.

Sullichin

Man, I don't know. I just find it frustrating that everyone is having success stories about going beyond their original rank, but I'm losing my mind with how flying solo this season has been anything BUT good for me.

if it makes you feel any better i was in highish gold level last season and now can't get out of fucking bronze solo queuing. I'd be happy to be in your position lol

The other day I quit out of a ranked match for the first time. It was after someone else on my team already quit, and everyone else started dropping once the timer ran out. I lost like 30SR for that loss. My next game, I played really well and my team won. I got like 4SR. WTF

Was I penalized for leaving even though others on my team left first and I waited for the timer to be 'safe' to leave?

I can't believe I'm actually considering making an alt account just to get out of this hell.

Blues1990

if it makes you feel any better i was in highish gold level last season and now can't get out of fucking bronze solo queuing. I'd be happy to be in your position lol

The other day I quit out of a ranked match for the first time. It was after someone else on my team already quit, and everyone else started dropping once the timer ran out. I lost like 30SR for that loss. My next game, I played really well and my team won. I got like 4SR. WTF

Was I penalized for leaving even though others on my team left first and I waited for the timer to be 'safe' to leave?

I can't believe I'm actually considering making an alt account just to get out of this hell.

I just wished I didn't have to do those stupid placement matches again, and just went off with my previous rank. I didn't want to deal with the idiots that populate the lower tiers, and now I'm stuck with them again this season. And I can't make any teams, as rarely anyone on these forums are online to play with me.

NeoRaider

More credits in advance of the Christmas event are always good!

It's all blue and white so... meh.

I'm now down to 1995, from 2335.

I'm SERIOUSLY getting sick of this shit. D:

Take a break? I know how it feels, just had my first win today in competitive after 5 or 6 loses. It is frustrating. Like i told you we can always play together if you want but i am literally having WORST luck today too. Just when i went gold yesterday, i started losing so much and it's just horrible. I feel like i barely get good ppl (not talking about good players, but good ppl) in my team.

antitrop

Last night I actually had a Widowmaker harass the team during the Defeat screen for not getting on the objective in a KOTH QP game. Stuff like "Go back to the main menu and look at the tutorial" and all this shit and I'm looking at the Tab menu like...

But his account was Level 500 something so it was okay, right, he knows better than everyone.

Heropon

I suppose the person I replaced in this match disconnected because instead of being an autoloss like all the other times that I start at the end of the match I got welcomed with Victory! Thanks for the 1/3 of a loot box, unknown person.

Thinking about other things, now that I'm gold I'm going to try to learn how to use other tanks apart from D.Va. I had a tense situation where all my confort zone characters were already picked and I had to improvise and choose Roadhog. Heh, at least it seems I didn't hinder the team at all.

Thanks!

bjork

I got to level 9, but I still don't feel like I'm learning as quick as I should. Maybe I'll just stick to AI fights for awhile, because quick play is putting me with dudes that are like 30 and 52 and whatnot, and I'm getting killed before I can go "oh, I need to do this and this."

I look forward to being competent, but it doesn't seem like it'll happen any time soon.

antitrop

Yep he's really unpleasant to watch. The way he talks to dude on his team he always blames for losing gets tiring as hell too. There's a reason Seagull is so popular. He's both great at the game and super nice and charismatic.

I've certainly seen Seagull get a little salty on stream. Nobody's perfect.

Prelude.

I got to level 9, but I still don't feel like I'm learning as quick as I should. Maybe I'll just stick to AI fights for awhile, because quick play is putting me with dudes that are like 30 and 52 and whatnot, and I'm getting killed before I can go "oh, I need to do this and this."

I look forward to being competent, but it doesn't seem like it'll happen any time soon.

Don't play against AI, it's useless. You'd just be training your mechanical skills on unrealistic movement patterns. Just try to understand your role, look up what you can counter, what counters you, and keep at it in QP.

ohkay

Yeah I've messed around with a few others, but that's mostly been in Arcade. I've wanted to try Mei, but every time I have I get wrecked and immediately switch.
Some characters will take a while to get used to playing (like Genji, Tracer, Ana, etc.) so don't get discouraged if you're dying a lot at first

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

I'm at level 20, and I still feel like this sometimes. I've been trying not to "main" a character so I can be a bit fluid, but it's definitely difficult.

omgkitty

Some characters will take a while to get used to playing (like Genji, Tracer, Ana, etc.) so don't get discouraged if you're dying a lot at first

Yeah I've mostly stuck with D.Va as I've gotten her down and feel like I have a good understanding of what to do and what not do. She's also the first character where everything clicked and I started to have a lot of fun. I'm decent with a couple others like Soldier 76, but not at a level where I'd feel comfortable taking the character away from someone who knew what they were doing. Same with someone like Lucio who I do okay with, but have no idea when speed is useful other than when rushing back players who've respawned.

antitrop

I'm at level 20, and I still feel like this sometimes. I've been trying not to "main" a character so I can be a bit fluid, but it's definitely difficult.

I think when you're first starting it, it is just better to main a character, then you can branch from there. There were plenty of characters I never even touched until I had hundreds of hours of playtime.

I don't want to talk about how much Torb I played when the game first launched. But that was when I was on consoles and before Torb got the 30% damage nerf, so it felt almost impossible to lose with him back then.

Top Bottom