• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

antitrop

So many junk rats on my team in solo q competitive on xbox. So many losses....
You need LiK on your team. We used to clean up on PS4 when he would play Junk and I would play Roadhog.

Then I saw the light of the PC version and had to leave all my console friends behind. :(

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
That reminds me...I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to loot. Not really sure why.

In any case - I have 20 unopened loot boxes. Is there anything in loot boxes that aid in winning and/or getting better at the game?

antitrop

In any case - I have 20 unopened loot boxes. Is there anything in loot boxes that aid in winning and/or getting better at the game?

Nope, and the loot is generated when you receive the box, not when you open it, so you can't save them for Holiday events or anything.

Ok, I'm seriously thinking that loot boxes are rigged to get more duplicates after a point.

Why am i getting duplicates so much?? It's 3 duplicates in every box like all the time. WTF?

If your level is really high than that makes sense. I'm at level ~450 and all I'm getting is dupes usually, since on average I have like 40 items per character.

Don't really mind though, I'll gladly take that currency instead so I can buy stuff from the events :)

Skii

Seagull almost always blames every death on himself. I remember he was facing a Korean hacker (playing Zarya) and he was still critical about his play even though he just died to a hacker. Most people would just tilt and blame the hacker for having perfect accuracy (rightly so) but he's so optimistic that he was trying to find any way to play around it. And they eventually won that game.

Prelude.

If your level is really high than that makes sense. I'm at level ~450 and all I'm getting is dupes usually, since on average I have like 40 items per character.
Jesus christ, the rng is bad. I'm 290 and I have 35 items on average. I get 3-4 dupes per box almost every time.

Seagull almost always blames every death on himself. I remember he was facing a Korean hacker (playing Zarya) and he was still critical about his play even though he just died to a hacker. Most people would just tilt and blame the hacker for having perfect accuracy (rightly so) but he's so optimistic that he was trying to find any way to play around it. And they eventually won that game.

This is what I consider a true competitive gamer. Regardless of the challenge you find a way to get over it. Even if hackers are the opponent. They're still human and still have a weakness. Blame yourself for not having found a solution to break the problem regardless of how crazy the situation is.

cyborg009

Banned
How long did the ban wave take last time? Had a Pharah shooting me down as Pharah a few days ago and her mouse movements were so bizarre.

How long did the ban wave take last time? Had a Pharah shooting me down as Pharah a few days ago and her mouse movements were so bizarre.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they weren't hacking. The chances of someone using assist on a projectile hero is next to nothing, because it relies on too many factors that negate it. It was more likely that they were just making flick predictions that ended up working for them.

RedHill

Banned
If my team makes it to a certain point with the overtime timer going, and then the other team gets right to that point with the overtime timer, why do they still win? How is that not a draw? They didn't make it to the point in time

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If my team makes it to a certain point with the overtime timer going, and then the other team gets right to that point with the overtime timer, why do they still win? How is that not a draw? They didn't make it to the point in time

Because they got to that point.

If you wanted to win stop them getting to that point.

The chances of a straight up draw on payload should be so small you shouldn't ever actually see it unless both teams run out of time and go through the final point in ot. Even if the bar at the top says that they are the same, there could still be some small variation that isn't shown or denoted on screen.

It could also be likely that your team stepped far enough away for the fraction of time needed to push it for the cap.

Theorry

Started playing alot again and i still cant find a Defense character i like.
I never play that class now. Wich is a shame. Dont know what it is.

RedHill

Banned
Because they got to that point.

If you wanted to win stop them getting to that point.
If you get to that point on Overtime, it should be a draw. I understand how it happened, but I'm questioning the decision to make that a game mechanic. I could also do without the condescending attitude.

Antiwhippy

Sorry about that, but your post read like tilt after suffering the loss.

I dunno, I don't mind the mechanic. The advantage is firmly on the defending side then because all they had to do is win one team fight due to overtime degradation, and if they can't well, I can't say that they are the better team.

Theorry

In the 2/2/2/ and Triple Tank meta, you're okay for the most part.

I love me some Mei on certain maps, though.

I am trying to play here. But something feels off for some reason. I have that with all Defense heroes. Where with other roles i easy can play 2/3 heroes and do pretty good.

Antiwhippy

I am trying to play here. But something feels off for some reason. I have that with all Defense heroes. Where with other roles i easy can play 2/3 heroes and do pretty good.

Is it a projectile thing? Other than widow and bastion all of them are projectile heroes.

Redmoon

Sorry I haven't been around KITTYZILLA. Have been dealing with a deep sickness since Saturday. Still trying to recover from it, so if you haven't already, go on without me in placements.

Theorry

Is it a projectile thing? Other than widow and bastion all of them are projectile heroes.

I guess maybe. Because if i need to choose i "like" Bastion the most. But on the other hand i love to play Pharah. But i think its more the gun from Mei. The freezing is fine but the shooting feels abit weird to me with the little charge up time it has. Complety throws me off all the time.

Oh BTW, I mention it every so often but if you're in the 2500-3000 range and want someone to stack with for comp matches, I play pretty much all roles solidly but prefer to Tank / DPS / Support.

Talynn#1113 on PC.

Antiwhippy

I guess maybe. Because if i need to choose i "like" Bastion the most. But on the other hand i love to play Pharah. But i think its more the gun from Mei. The freezing is fine but the shooting feels abit weird to me with the little charge up time it has. Complety throws me off all the time.

I kind of got too used to it that it throws me off other characters. :p

Helps with ana darts though because it's roughly the same wind up and trajectory.

ohkay

If you get to that point on Overtime, it should be a draw. I understand how it happened, but I'm questioning the decision to make that a game mechanic. I could also do without the condescending attitude.
However far you got was as far as you could go, because the other team ran out your overtime. Realistically, if the other team got the same distance as you in their overtime, they would've gone farther than you did in their overtime since no one on your team was contesting the payload when they hit your team's distance.

Until the start of season 3 I had played this almost exclusively solo, rarely partying up with anyone. My sister picked up the game on Black Friday and we've played a ton of quick/arcade together since then. Could this have massively adjusted my solo matchmaking or mmr or whatever? In the s3 placement matches I did a couple days back and in proper s3 games since then (0-5 so far) I'm suddenly getting matched exclusively into games with other parties even though I'm still playing 100% solo in ranked.

Why do people have a "main" in a game like this?

My competitive games are all a mess due to folk going ridiculous characters not suited to the map at all.

I also wish people would kill mercy, spent three games saying please focus mercy before I took my headset off and just gave up and watched them all launch damage into characters being constantly healed.

There's a pretty lengthy Sombra rebalance discussion on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5h61ov/ideal_sombra_rebalance_ideas/

Here's what I've been thinking:

Buff hack duration to 8s (from 6s). Enemies can't gain ult charge while hacked.
Pretty strong buffs to hack. Nice to have.

EMP range should be the same as hack range and EMP blows up Symmetra junk.
Relatively minor buffs.

Tighten her spread a hair.
They need to be careful here, because her DPS isn't as bad as many seem to think when considered in the context of her kit, but still. A hair.

If that feels like too much buff, I also want this:

Enemies still can't use hacked health packs, but the packs respawn less quickly than they do now, and friendlies using them don't give Sombra ult charge.
The current mechanic of babysitting health packs (and using one to rush her ult as a team at the game's beginning) is repetitive and contrived. Reduce their utility. Make Sombra less situational and less health pack dependent. Encourage her to spend her hack on enemies more. (This will also make it so EMP is up less often, which is important with buffs to hack and spread.)

My competitive games are all a mess due to folk going ridiculous characters not suited to the map at all..

It's important to be able to play other heroes and roles. I mean, I play Rein almost exclusively in comp, but there will always be comps that don't work with him, or you may run across tank mains who don't actually have the pool available to them. You have to be able to adapt in that situation.

Like I can play pretty much any tank (specializing in Rein/Winston), Ana/Lucio, and Reaper/Soldier/McCree. And I think that a pool of around that size is almost a necessity if you are going into comp to win. You have to be able to have at least 6 characters, because there is always a chance that 5 of your heroes could be selected by your teammates. So you can't just go one hero all the time, because as soon as someone else takes that character, or the comp counters you too hard you are nothing but a liability to your team.

That all being said, I'm essentially a Rein main in comp because I know I'm decent with him, and I just don't trust random rein players most of the time.

My competitive games are all a mess due to folk going ridiculous characters not suited to the map at all.

I also wish people would kill mercy, spent three games saying please focus mercy before I took my headset off and just gave up and watched them all launch damage into characters being constantly healed.

There's two types of mains

1: A char that a person will only play

2: A char that a person is good with

You want people who play with number 2. They can have several mains. If you get a number 1 and it's a Hanzo or a WM...then my condolences.

Having several mains is good as you can pick based on the situation

Antiwhippy

Having a main is good. It means you know the inside out of the character and can play them at a high level. Having a main doesn't mean you shouldn't have secondaries.

Anne

Pharah is my new Junkrat. She's not bad, but I keep running into people who only play Pharah and refuse to switch even when we're behind against 3 hitscan heroes.

AbaFadi

Banned
Pharah is my new Junkrat. She's not bad, but I keep running into people who only play Pharah and refuse to switch even when we're behind against 3 hitscan heroes.

I've been experiencing the same lately lol. They never switch either.

Skii

Team decided to go 3 DPS, 2 tanks and a solo Ana. We get completely steamrolled on Dorado. One of the DPS decides to take Reinhardt from me so I'm like "fuck it, I'll go Zen then". I get gold in healing and completely carry our team to a win. Our Ana must've been absolutely terrible though as they were solo healing for an entire round and 12k healing still beat them.

DevilDog

People like DPS. People can't aim. People play pharah and junkrat.

Team decided to go 3 DPS, 2 tanks and a solo Ana. We get completely steamrolled on Dorado. One of the DPS decides to take Reinhardt from me so I'm like "fuck it, I'll go Zen then". I get gold in healing and completely carry our team to a win. Our Ana must've been absolutely terrible though as they were solo healing for an entire round and 12k healing still beat them.

Solo Ana can be incredibly hard though. As in a situation like that she needs to stay up or every fight will be lost. So she has to be good at positioning. But then she can be dove incredibly easy, and in addition has to deal with teammates leaving her los. If either happen, she has to hope her team can protect her as she leaves her position to go play on the front line and hopefully keep everyone up without getting picked. She also does have self healing, but that means she's losing out on the burst healing you will inevitably need for your frontline. It's possible to run solo Ana, but everyone's job gets a lot harder for doing so.

Really 2 support is more necessary than anything else in the game right now. It's not so much about having a second source of healing as it is about making sure your main source of healing stays up and safe. Ana has the healing power to work solo, but as much sustain and power as she has, she loses out pretty hard in a lot of situations without a second healer.

Whoa there, careful with the comparisons.

Nah, they right. We almost lost a game last night because of a junkrat who refused to switch on defense.

Antiwhippy

Solo ana depends if the enemy team is smart enough to realise that you're solo healing and if your team is smart enough to realise that you're solo healing.

I've made it work more often than not, but if you get dove hard or if your team is going off their separate ways out of LoS then welp.

Oh, I sure as hell wasn't defending Junkrat, lul.

Ah, I guess Pharah requires some aim, but the splash buff and lowered skill ceiling from knockback keeps it from being a necessity like some of the other offense heroes.

And yeah, apparently even at Master people try to stick to heroes they have no reason to be playing. Still running into Junkrat/Pharah who won't switch is the worst thing in the world.

Top Bottom