• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Sure my PSN is SgtWiggles. My schedule will probably be erratic for like the next week because of finals though, probably wont be playing much till next weekend after tonight or tomorrow.

Nice, I'll add you. I don't play that much during the week, it's usually easier to group up on the weekends. The next one should be fun with the christmas event.

Got a similar placement, climbed a bit to ~3150 and then it went downhill when I soloq. Are you on PS4?

In KOTH, how is this even possible? That's really impressive.

It was NOT easy. We won the first round with a full team, then lost someone. Won one round, lost two, and brought the last one back from 0-99 to a win.

I was Rein most of the match, but swapped to DVA after they brought out a Pharah who kept tearing me up. Our Pharah was GREAT and I managed to get a quadkill, point-clearing MEKA blast. My buddy on Lucio was clutch as hell with the sound barriers.

Everyone was just performing their best, we had no weak links at all. It was incredibly stressful but I've never had a more exciting win.

Lol just had a team force me to solo heal. Guess who went Torbjorn because they wouldnt keep the Winston off my nuts all match.

Can't believe people rather lose than just swap, all we needed was a second healer.

I'm net two wins away from finally breaking into diamond after slogging through low gold most of last season. My nerves are fried. Every loss has me knocking on the hangman's door only to clutch a win the next match.

Veelk

Banned
Congratulations. :)

I have to do my placements, I finished last season at exactly 3000, so I'm expecting high Plat or something.

Thanks. I don't expect to stay in this league. At this point, the picks and strategies become even stricter in comp and, well, for me, I always felt when you get to the level where you have toss out characters whole sale and HAVE to coordinate, then the game actually gets less fun.

But I always felt like I was JUST barely 3000 material and wanted to reach there. From here, I'm okay to fall down wherever I may land.

Xzan

I literally almost never see Widow on consoles, especially on comp. Doesn't OW have KB+M support on consoles?

Dunno about in-built support but I could hear a guy on his keyboard last night during a QP warm up.

He was bouncing forwards and backwards and I could hear the click of his mechanical keyboard with each bounce.

Probably using a XIM4 or something.

Its not built in but you can buy compatible Keyboards and Mouses.

I have seen them in really high ranked games before, its 100% obvious when someone is using one, especially from their kill cam

Would console players consider that cheating?

I guess technically? I mean its super rare anyway, I have only seen it probably 10-20 times in all my time playing.

Only time it ever felt truly unfair was a Top 500 McCree I played once. If it was the PC version, I would have thought he was aimbotting for sure, his accuracy was like 100% perfection.

Anne

Huh I missed some shit while I Was out. Pharah has a p high skill ceiing I think right? Like pro level Pharahs can have insane consistency and there's a lot to that. I definitely wouldn't spam with Pharah.

Also I saw somebody say that all other DPS besides Soldier are dead? That is far from the truth. Genji, Tracer, and McCree are still highly valued, and Pharah and Reaper have situational use even into the ideal trip tank set up.

A lot of characters are viable right now and there are a lot of different neat comps to mess with. Just trip tank + Ana has a marked advantage and is the path of least resistance. Given time I do believe that will eventually change to be less true if we never get a patch, but it's not nearly that rigid or set in stone right now.

Shoulda called it while I was ahead, dropped to 2970 <_<. Getting shit on by the queue in every direction

Lol my win rate is 17.6%. Jeez this season is off to a bad start for me

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Huh I missed some shit while I Was out. Pharah has a p high skill ceiing I think right? Like pro level Pharahs can have insane consistency and there's a lot to that. I definitely wouldn't spam with Pharah.

Also I saw somebody say that all other DPS besides Soldier are dead? That is far from the truth. Genji, Tracer, and McCree are still highly valued, and Pharah and Reaper have situational use even into the ideal trip tank set up.

A lot of characters are viable right now and there are a lot of different neat comps to mess with. Just trip tank + Ana has a marked advantage and is the path of least resistance. Given time I do believe that will eventually change to be less true if we never get a patch, but it's not nearly that rigid or set in stone right now.

Yeah, while dreamhack isn't exactly as high level as OGN you would think that it's be an indication that you don't have to married to the trip tank setup to succeed.

NRG isn't as high level as others but they seem to indicate that they don't think they need to go trip tank.

Trip tank is fun though, but I say this as an ana player. :p

Anne

I think you have to mostly go trip tank, but you can deviate a bit. The 6th DPS slot in trip tank is where most of the experimentation will be.

Antiwhippy

I really want to see misfit's trip DPS comp go up against the Envyus trip tank.

I'd like to see how fluid this meta can be.

Anne

I really want to see misfit's trip DPS comp go up against the Envyus trip tank.

I'd like to see how fluid this meta can be.

I don't wanna spoil anything but I've talked to a couple people for a piece coming soon about that whole thing. It's not something that was going to be a long term answer, and I was told straight up that trip tank is very limiting and teams need to run something around it.

ohkay

Shoulda called it while I was ahead, dropped to 2970 <_<. Getting shit on by the queue in every direction

Lol my win rate is 17.6%. Jeez this season is off to a bad start for me
This is how all my seasons seem to start, and S3 is keeping with the pattern

Antiwhippy

Limiting as in limiting what comps can run against it or limiting to run?

I do wonder when and how blizzard will address triple tank though. The answer to me is pretty much nerf ana, but I'm hoping that they wouldn't do it in a way that cripples her.

MG310

Match 1. Volskaya.

A Bastion that didn't seem to know that he could repair himself even with about 45 seconds to do so.

I could have gone back to the room, swtiched to Zenyatta, healed him, and then swtiched back to Zarya in the time he had.

Anne

Limiting as in limiting what comps can run against it or limiting to run?

I do wonder when and how blizzard will address triple tank though. The answer to me is pretty much nerf ana, but I'm hoping that they wouldn't do it in a way that cripples her.

Limiting what comps you can run. Like right now you basically have to run a gimmick or you have to run trip tank + map specific DPS. There's enough qiggle room to do a couple of silly things, but not by much.

cyborg009

Banned
So today I had a genji who wouldn't flank or switch off along with a lucio was trying to dps but got rekt by roadhog. And a player who said my healing sucked as ana and we ended up losing the KOTH match without even capturing the point.

edit: another game on OT where rein wouldn't stay on payload and we lost.......

maomaoIYP

Pharah still works against certain comps, especially with the tank heavy meta. It seems especially true on 2cp. I had a match with attack on volskaya, both sides ran triple tank. I was the Roadhog and my side could not get through the choke. I swapped to Pharah, rained rockets above their Reinhardt forcing them to pull back, allowing my team to push.

Anne

Pharah still works against certain comps, especially with the tank heavy meta.

She won't for long probably. Pharah is a very hard dive hero that requires specific types of things that you can't really run with a lot of the better comps. She's also horribad into trip tank + Soldier/McCree. Right now people get away with stuff, but the better people get at trip tank the worse things will be. It's all on a countdown.

Like, the implications of the Ana/Tank comps continue.

KarmaCow

Do you need to be in Master or GM at the end of the season to get the associated CP bonus or is it just if you reach it once? Just want to know if I should grind out it now or near the end of the season. It's pretty draining, even without people trolling and infighting.

antitrop

Do you need to be in Master or GM at the end of the season to get the associated CP bonus or is it just if you reach it once? Just want to know if I should grind out it now or near the end of the season. It's pretty draining, even without people trolling and infighting.

Bonus is paid out based on Season High.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, here's my semi-monthly bitch post about Blizzard's obvious balancing issues.

Why would you buff Soldier when he was already frequently picked? I know I'm reiterating a belabored point, but his damage output is nothing short of stupid. Get rid of it.

Why do you still continue to ignore that Widowmaker is the worst character in the game by a wide margin on console? Don't even touch her sniping, just buff her abilities so she's not completely fucking worthless to 99% of the player base except for that one kid whose basically a human aimbot which, btw, doesn't make the game fun. It's a game based around abilities. Let widowmaker use hers. And make her ult something actually useful instead of an improved version of Hanzo's and Sombra's lesser abilities here, come on.

Why does Torbjorn still have that damage nerf when stacking is no longer allowed? They know he needed a boost, that's why they buffed his scrapping and make it so turrets don't add to ult charges, but they forgot to give his damage back? God forbid he be even a little viable.

Why hasn't mercy gotten a new ability that she needs to keep up with the other healers? She is always going to be severely limited because she can only buff, heal, or fire her weapon at any one time while also having a direct line showing the enemy where she is, while Ana, Zenny, and Lucio can all heal, fire and buff/debuff at any time. Her sole advantage was that she could heal more, than the others, but that's not true anymore with Ana. You can't overpower her heals/buffs or she breaks the game. So give her some new ability to give her an edge.

I have nothing to say about D. "Best Character in the Game" Va. She's good where she's at right now and I am in no way biased for her.

It's really annoying. Blizzard has one of the best balanced asymmetrical games ever in many ways, so I'm not going to quibble about minor balance changes I'd like to see. Maybe a change to Hanzo's ult speed, maybe deleting Mei from the game, stuff like that that I think would be a good idea but don't hate too much. But this? This is some obvious shit and I honestly can't see why these changes haven't been made.

MG310

Eichenwald.

I die as Zenyatta...3 members of my team still alive let a lone Sombra take the payload uncontested while they all dick around by the gate.

EDIT: We rolled over them on attack at least. They only made it to just before the archway near the bridge.

There's two types of mains

1: A char that a person will only play

2: A char that a person is good with

You want people who play with number 2. They can have several mains. If you get a number 1 and it's a Hanzo or a WM...then my condolences.

Having several mains is good as you can pick based on the situation

Cheers, Aye I had two games in a row where one guy was Hanzo and refused to change and another who was an attack torbjorn, it was frustrating, especially playing on console where you can't just type in to chat.

I never went in to competitive until I felt good about playing 2 characters from each category, I guess I know my limits and some other folk either don't or don't care but I don't know why you'd play competitive if you don't care.

I know a lot of people dislike the tank meta this season, but I've been having so much fun playing D.Va now that she's more viable.

I know a lot of people dislike the tank meta this season, but I've been having so much fun playing D.Va now that she's more viable.

When I started playing, I didn't understand how to play tanks, especially coz I started out with Reinhardt who feels so slow and Roadhog who feels even slower somehow, alongwith the fact that I can't hook for shit 90% of the times. Then I tried D.Va and stopped trying every other tank. She's so much fun. It was later that I realised that she'd been buffed recently, but even when she'd been weak(er), I'm willing to bet that she would have been the most fun tank to play.

When I started playing, I didn't understand how to play tanks, especially coz I started out with Reinhardt who feels so slow and Roadhog who feels even slower somehow, alongwith the fact that I can't hook for shit 90% of the times. Then I tried D.Va and stopped trying every other tank. She's so much fun. It was later that I realised that she'd been buffed recently, but even when she'd been weak(er), I'm willing to bet that she would have been the most fun tank to play.

She was definitely harder to play last season, especially at higher levels, but since being buffed (and also Zarya getting nerfed), she's much more viable and almost necessary to counter a good Soldier 76.

I usually just auto lock her now since I feel like I do really well with her (~70% win rate).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What are the best heroes for that Brawl mode where everyone has double health and shorter cooldowns? I get a feeling that some of them are just not worth using since they're not balanced around that too.

Okay, here's my semi-monthly bitch post about Blizzard's obvious balancing issues.

Why would you buff Soldier when he was already frequently picked? I know I'm reiterating a belabored point, but his damage output is nothing short of stupid. Get rid of it.

Soldier was almost always passed over in favor of McCree at all ranges. There was never a reason to take Soldier. Now there is. At best I think you reduce the damage per bullet by 1 or increase his biotic field cool down by a second or two. He's in a good place.

I feel Dva and Hog need some tuning more than anything right now. I'd reduce how fast Dva gets her Defense Matrix rejuvenates. Hog I'd like to see the range of his hook reduced and for it to operate like a proper projectile so he has to lead/aim it.

What are the best heroes for that Brawl mode where everyone has double health and shorter cooldowns? I get a feeling that some of them are just not worth using since they're not balanced around that too.

I use Ana.
Sleep dart every 6sec and Healnade every 5

Fancolors

Mei is nearly indestructible there. She can keep using her Shift and E and stall for what is an eternity.

Lúcio is also good because he can just spam healing boost every 6 seconds and build ult incredibly fast in that brawl. Used to be broken there before the ult economy changes.

Rizzi

People who complain loudly about not having the right tank/healer/whatever on a team when they haven't swapped from Hanzo or Widowmaker the entire game annoy the shit out of me. Like damn random asshole, I'm pretty sure you've got an "H" key on your keyboard too.

People who complain loudly about not having the right tank/healer/whatever on a team when they haven't swapped from Hanzo or Widowmaker the entire game annoy the shit out of me. Like damn random asshole, I'm pretty sure you've got an "H" key on your keyboard too.

"Mercy Plz". Anytime someone says that, I know I'm in for a shit game.

Any time that I go into a match and there's no healers and I'm the last one to pick I just pick my go to Zenyatta because fuck everyone. Better learn to health pack like pros.

Top Bottom