• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I want to see everyone's opinions on maps in this game.

Rank maps that you are most comfortable playing on to least comfortable.

Numbani
King's Row
Gibraltar
Hollywood
Lijiang
Nepal
Anubis
Eichenwalde
Hanamura
Dorado
Route 66
Volskaya
Ilios

I like playing on the hybrid maps (minus Eichenwalde) the most, followed by Dorado and Route 66. Don't really like any 2CP maps (although Volskaya is tolerable) and I'm tired of KOTH, especially in competitive.

I want to see everyone's opinions on maps in this game.

Rank maps that you are most comfortable playing on to least comfortable.

Numbani
King's Row
Gibraltar
Hollywood
Lijiang
Nepal
Anubis
Eichenwalde
Hanamura
Dorado
Route 66
Volskaya
Ilios

Payload maps would all be near the top thats for sure, speaking of which is anyone else here seemingly not getting payload in comp matches? I've had 1 or 2 payload matches all season.

Finally broke Master with the 7 game win streak. yehaw

Congrats

antitrop

My PC account finally surpassed my PS4 account for time played

PidW5XQ.png

I'd put the maps in three rough categories.

Love:
Dorado
Gibraltar
Hanamura
Hollywood
King's Row

Like:
Eichenwalde
Lijiang
Nepal
Numbani
Route 66

Dislike:
Anubis
Ilios
Volskaya

NeoRaider

I am such a noob with Zarya and Winston omg. It's not even funny.
I can play every hero but please never tell me to play Zarya or Winston. :/

antitrop

I am such a noob with Zarya and Winston omg. It's not even funny.
I can play every hero but please never tell me to play Zarya or Winston. :/
Winston depends on his supports more than almost any other hero on the game.

It's not an excuse to blame your healers when you fuck up as him, but his style of play really does necessitate the Harmony Orb if you have a Zen, or most of Ana's attention.

Good supports can enable a Winston to do almost whatever he wants, as long as he's not jumping into double shotguns or anything.

Jarate

Banned
With 57% average energy you should be saying "<3 Junkrat" :p

The Junkrat was only there for the final push. Mostly just using my great strategy of walking forward, and pretending I don't have a bubble, only to bubble and trick them! And a lot of Reinhardt Flame Slash, and a lot of D. Va's ult

NeoRaider

Winston depends on his supports more than almost any other hero on the game.

It's not an excuse to blame your healers when you fuck up as him, but his style of play really does necessitate the Harmony Orb if you have a Zen, or most of Ana's attention.

Good supports can enable a Winston to do almost whatever he wants, as long as he's not jumping into double shotguns or anything.

Well as Ana and Marcy player i know this trust me. I am healing Winstons and Reins in my team so much.

Honestly i used him only few times and it wasn't even fun to me. Like you said i was dying a lot. I just don't know what to do exactly. I guess i look like a starving monkey jumping around... lol. That's why i can't win 1v1 with him or Zarya.

Count me in on being eh on KOTH matches in Comp. If the teams are good or your stomping it can be fun but it's often just camping 1-2 spots on high alert for a ult push if you win the first team fight or desperately hoping someone is out of position and you can get a pick if you lose.

Also having to deal with the nuisance picks like Tracer, Genji, & Pharah.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Well as Ana and Marcy player i know this trust me. I am healing Winstons and Reins in my team so much.

Honestly i used him only few times and it wasn't even fun to me. Like you said i was dying a lot. I just don't know what to do exactly. I guess i look like a starving monkey jumping around... lol. That's why i can't win 1v1 with him or Zarya.

I have no idea what I'm doing with Winston either. You have to be so freaking close to anyone to use his gun, but I can almost never kill anything with it. I mostly feel like a big distraction that doesn't get any kills when I jump in, pop the barrier, then jump back out when my health is low. Then I feel like I haven't accomplished anything.

I feel a little better with Zarya because I think you're supposed to stay with the main group with her, and just either spearhead a push with your own bubble or help someone else do it by putting your bubble on him. But again, I can't seem to get that many kills with her for some reason. But I'm nowhere near as bad with Zarya as I am with Winston.

Wimps

Winston can split teams in half. Separate weak supports, kill annoying genji and tracers if need be. And he can stay alive because of the awesome angry monkey jump.

I have shitloads of fun playing him tbh. Though having a dive comp does help big time. Saw some sick plays coming from Miro as Winston. Tip to watch if you'd want to up your Winston game.

Count me in on being eh on KOTH matches in Comp. If the teams are good or your stomping it can be fun but it's often just camping 1-2 spots on high alert for a ult push if you win the first team fight or desperately hoping someone is out of position and you can get a pick if you lose.

Also having to deal with the nuisance picks like Tracer, Genji, & Pharah.

Yh I've started to really hate KOTH maps in comp, unless you're in a group it's going to be a damn tricky match.

Salarians

Went 3 to 3 on Gibraltar comp last night. Switched from Ana to Mercy for the tie break and got a four person res right before the first point. The enemy never recovered, we took all three points during overtime, and they didn't even get the first in their attack run. Might be the first 6 to 3 match I've ever had.

Anne

If we're gonna talk about maps, I should mention that Illios and Volskaya are not fit for competitive play they are so garbage :v

Jarate

Banned
Went 8-2 in placement matches, mostly played against masters the last 5 matches, and got placed 3391

Thought they were gonna put me above 3500 ;-;

3 games today, 3 horrible defeats, lost 70SR.

When you go Zen the first round and Widowmaker on the second and finish the game with gold kills and three silvers there's not much more that is needed to be said about my team.

Gonna continue, hopefully the game will eventually start throwing me games that are actually possible to win.

ilios is disgusting

nepal sucks

i'm actually not really fond of any of the koth maps tbh but if i had to pick one lijiang is the least bad

any payload map >>>> tbh

Had a shitty afternoon. Steamrolled five matches in a row. Switching characters and nothing works just getting slaughtered left and right.

Also after reading some of the horrible harassment stories people go through I really wish there was a "Club" feature in this game. It would be really nice to have a large pool of people that are willing to have fun and be cool to each other without having to specifically group up via the friend system.

Eesh, Season 3 is gonna make me earn Diamond back. ><

According to masteroverwatch/overbuff master is actually last seasons diamond lol. That actually sounds right to me as well if my games are anything to go by (at 3300), in my most recent comp match my team randomly changed to 3 healers and stuck with it until the very last moments of the match. It also seems that people really hate using tanks this season as well.

I have an honest question about this game. Does it try to pair you with people that are worse than you if you are a decent to good player for team balance?

I ask because I've had the game since launch. Average 2-3 gold medals per game. And lose matches a hell of a lot.

ohkay

I have an honest question about this game. Does it try to pair you with people that are worse than you if you are a decent to good player for team balance?

I ask because I've had the game since launch. Average 2-3 gold medals per game. And lose matches a hell of a lot.
It tries to group you with people around your skill level

Well I don't know what the deal is. There is almost never a match where I don't have the majority of the gold medals.

Also I'm reminded why ranked Overwatch is the worst thing ever. Just lost my first 3 placement matches, 2 of which were due to teammates leaving the game as we were clearly winning.

Still love the game just ranked infuriates me.

ISOM

That's not true. I think they try to balance groups more than anything. I remember some grandmaster level players complaining a lot that they get put with ranks below them due to balance. So you will see a 4500 lvl player playing in a group of 3500s.

Nimby

Banned
Ilios Ruins makes me want to stop playing OW.

That's the one point on Ilios that I can tolerate, still don't like it though. I hate the Well because of how huge the point is.

Dorado's first choke is nightmare fuel when defense has a Mei. So many times I've defended Dorado first and was like "that was a good defense" only for a Mei to block the cart off in overtime with her wall. It makes me want to cry.

Veelk

Banned
Well I don't know what the deal is. There is almost never a match where I don't have the majority of the gold medals.

Also I'm reminded why ranked Overwatch is the worst thing ever. Just lost my first 3 placement matches, 2 of which were due to teammates leaving the game as we were clearly winning.

Still love the game just ranked infuriates me.

Still the best way to play though.

I thought Quick Play would become leaps and bounds better once stacking was removed. It became better, but not nearly as much as I expected it. Mostly because people still see it as "practice" and make deliberately terrible picks like Widowmaker or Torb because, hey, sometimes you just want to play sniper and that often means the game is thrown because of terrible plays. And in fairness, I am as guilty of doing this as anyone else because there's no other way to play those characters without stupid rules like Brawl or No Limits.

I don't know what a satisfying middle ground is. I think Blizzard just needs to make every character actually viable to play so that mere team comp isn't a deciding factor of who wins and who loses.

People can be so fucking dumb. Had a D.Va on my team on Gibraltar that never cared about a McCree that was always on the higher ground shooting at us, instead she was protecting me, a Zarya, always eating my fucking charge. Why?????????????

Had to change to Winston, which I rarely play in comp, to deal with McCree. When I'm doing this she starts to group up with me again, like she was noticing McCree up there for the first time, leaving the rest of my team unprotected.

And she spammed thanks at the end of the game when we lost.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Greddleok

Finally got around to doing my placements.
5W 4L 1D.

2600. I'm OK with that. Only 100 less than I ended on and 300 less than my high last time.

Still the best way to play though.

I thought Quick Play would become leaps and bounds better once stacking was removed. It became better, but not nearly as much as I expected it. Mostly because people still see it as "practice" and make deliberately terrible picks like Widowmaker or Torb because, hey, sometimes you just want to play sniper and that often means the game is thrown because of terrible plays. And in fairness, I am as guilty of doing this as anyone else because there's no other way to play those characters without stupid rules like Brawl or No Limits.

I don't know what a satisfying middle ground is. I think Blizzard just needs to make every character actually viable to play so that mere team comp isn't a deciding factor of who wins and who loses.

The logic for removing duplicates from tournaments was sound in that cheese strats like double Winston were not as fun in practice as theory. Removing duplicates to stop people making the game bad by trying too hard is a totally different problem to people making the game bad by not trying enough. A solution for that would be to make quick play 8v8 and allow duplicates since individual performance would be less weighted so there is a higher chance that a core of 2/3 people would fill out the "trinity" class roles. But you still get the problem that one team will pick a viable comp and the other will just go all sniper because they are engaged in some pissing contest.

Anne

I don't think you can make QP that much better as is. It's a faster version of comp where you just play halves, and that's honestly fine. Maybe if they added more incentive to actually win that'd help?

I like to play QP because I just enjoy playing with my lower elo friends and having a good time, but right now it is like 10x more toxic than comp from my experiences.

I don't think you can make QP that much better as is. It's a faster version of comp where you just play halves, and that's honestly fine. Maybe if they added more incentive to actually win that'd help?

I like to play QP because I just enjoy playing with my lower elo friends and having a good time, but right now it is like 10x more toxic than comp from my experiences.

They already added incentives to arcade for people who just want to dick around.

I have said it for the past two seasons and I'll say it again: QP is harder than comp. When you are in qp, you are likely to get teammates who don't want to try/switch, and you can't really ask them to, because it's qp. And this continues until you hit 5/6 stacks in qp, at which point you are only playing other 5/6 stacks. And while you both may be trying, there would be no difference between that and comp at this point.

They already added incentives to arcade for people who just want to dick around.

unfortunately, that still doesn't provide an incentive for people to try to win in QP, though.

My average energy with Zarya hasn't dropped much from S2 to S3 (down to 40% from 45%). Weird. I should probably just play her and stop mentally dismissing her as "nerfed."

They should just make QP count towards your first 9 wins of the week loot boxes. There's literally no reason not to. It solves the problem of "forcing" people to play Arcade mode AND it makes people want to win QP.

antitrop

3 game winning streak put me at 2967. One more win should do it.

EDIT: Yessss, next game almost the entire enemy team quit in the first round of KOTH, but not in time for the match to cancel.
We're back, baby

Top Bottom