• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Anne

What sensitivity and DPI do you play on? I've been playing PC a bit and struggling to find a good combination. Currently playing at 800 DPI and 7 sensitivity, but having a hard time tracking targets with it.

I play at 1600 DPI with 2.1 sensitivity, which is 4.2 at 800 DPI. I'm on the lower end and use about a foot of horizontal mouse space. It seems low but I can still turn fast enough with it to play Genji and Tracer effectively.

I also switch between tracking and playing flick heavy a lot. I usually tend to lean more toward flicks, which I find to be easier on a lower sens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysgMqzU3Qk

Try doing the stuff he does with McCree (minus silly 180 or 360 stuff) in training mode for awhile. I do this every so often when I'm waiting on people or not in matches to keep muscle memory up. It's not hard to do it exactly like he does on bots.

Once you find a sens you can mix in flicks and tracking with you'll be golden.

Shahadan

Yes team, let's just all follow the only guy I didn't freeze with my ultimate. Sure. Do not touch the 5 frozen and vulnerable ones.

Trickster

I play at 1600 DPI with 2.1 sensitivity, which is 4.2 at 800 DPI. I'm on the lower end and use about a foot of horizontal mouse space. It seems low but I can still turn fast enough with it to play Genji and Tracer effectively.

I also switch between tracking and playing flick heavy a lot. I usually tend to lean more toward flicks, which I find to be easier on a lower sens.

Try doing the stuff he does with McCree (minus silly 180 or 360 stuff) in training mode for awhile. I do this every so often when I'm waiting on people or not in matches to keep muscle memory up. It's not hard to do it exactly like he does on bots.

Watching that video I am completely confused as to how someone can play the game like that, obviously it works, but I don't understand how that would ever be better than aiming normally?

Anne

Watching that video I am completely confused as to how someone can play the game like that, obviously it works, but I don't understand how that would ever be better than aiming normally?

When you play hitscan, there are a couple reasons to flick. One is you need to make constant corrections and flicking small distances is easier for some people, myself included. The other is that sometimes you need to react or hit something moving extremely quickly that is far form your crosshair. Like, if I'm fighting a Pharah and she hits shift, I can instantly throw my crosshair on her to kill her. Or if I'm aiming at somebody and suddenly Zenyatta or something peeks I can pretty instantly throw that shit on them

here's an older gyfcat of me where you can see the small corrective ones in the first kill: https://gfycat.com/FabulousMistyHellbender

Some people choose to not make large flicks and they are great. IDDQD is a good example. I think when choosing a sens though it's worth at least figuring out if you can be comfortable with at least some smaller flicks.

AbaFadi

Banned

Thanks, appreciate it. Gonna try lowering my sensitivity for sure. I also have about a foot of horizontal mouse space so I was playing on a higher sensitivity to compensate. It works for turning to targets fast but then I had really bad accuracy.

Blues1990

I have three $20 dollar STEAM Gift Cards, but I have no use for them & would like to trade them for a couple of Battle.net balance gift cards of equal value, what with the Overwatch Christmas event coming up.

No one has bite on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, so I'm wondering if anyone here is interested?

Anne

Thanks, appreciate it. Gonna try lowering my sensitivity for sure. I also have about a foot of horizontal mouse space so I was playing on a higher sensitivity to compensate. It works for turning to targets fast but then I had really bad accuracy.

As long as you can do a 180 in a single swipe without it being a hassle you should be fine. 7 sens @ 800 DPI is a bit on the higher end when you look at pro sens btw, seems 6 @ 800 or even 5 are more common.

What accuracy are you targeting with what character?

Edit: While I'm on the subject, small flicks are also pretty good in OW because there's really not any acceleration or deceleration on movements. Tracking characters that have awkward hitboxes that strafe weirdly looking for crits is annoying on McCree. I can't for the life of me hit an awkwardly moving Zen when I track, but I can flick for crits on him without even thinking about it since it's pretty generous.

caesar

Banned

I'm at 800 dpi 4.45, so we are really close. As a Mccree 'main', i like it. I've been using short xhair for Mccree lately though. Whats your rating atm? I'm just under 3.7 but I have a 3 win streak going.

Anne

I'm at 800 dpi 4.45, so we are really close. As a Mccree 'main', i like it. I've been using short xhair for Mccree lately though. Whats your rating atm? I'm just under 3.7 but I have a 3 win streak going.

I haven't done my soloq account yet. I started the group account with some diamond/plat friends at 2.9 and have gotten it up to 3.5 now. Going to try and shoot to get a 4k account over the holiday break, I think I can do it :S

The hero pool I'm running so far this season is a ton of Soldier followed by McCree, D.Va, Ana, Geni, Tracer. I have some kinda "eh" back ups and I'm working on some extra characters in case Ana gets nerfed this season.

caesar

Banned
I haven't done my soloq account yet. I started the group account with some diamond/plat friends at 2.9 and have gotten it up to 3.5 now. Going to try and shoot to get a 4k account over the holiday break, I think I can do it :S

The hero pool I'm running so far this season is a ton of Soldier followed by McCree, D.Va, Ana, Geni, Tracer. I have some kinda "eh" back ups and I'm working on some extra characters in case Ana gets nerfed this season.

Yeh same started at 2.8 and solo'd to 3.6 in a week. 4k is possible but when you hit 3.8 thats when you run into the really good playets. Hero pool is similiar to mine -genji, hate DVA but shes too good to climb with.

Yeah, if Ana gets nerfed im screwed in the support department. Gonna need to pickup Zen.

Anne

Yeh same started at 2.8 and solo'd to 3.6 in a week. 4k is possible but when you hit 3.8 thats when you run into the really good playets. Hero pool is similiar to mine -genji, hate DVA but shes too good to climb with.

Yeah, if Ana gets nerfed im screwed in the support department. Gonna need to pickup Zen.

D.Va is too good to pass up for sure. I played Mercy in S1 and had a passable Zen in S2 so I guess I can get something going if Ana is nerfed. The big thing as a DPS is that if she is nerfed Hanzo/Widow suddenly become very good. Been working on Widow some since Hanzo is like an alien to me. Same thing with Pharah/Junkrat to a lesser extent.

I forgot to mention my Mei is extremely good too, but I don't run her as much cause reasons. Super happy in S1 I decided to pick up Genji/Mei and get good with projectiles instead of locking myself to hitscan.

Yeah, but i don't think this is possible @60fps with v sync ON. lol

What? I just thought it was funny how in quickplay I could lazily walk around while people threw themselves at my feet lol

If you mean my FPS I play at 144Hz. I would let my framerate rock uncapped but I cap it at 150 because I get crazy fluctuations sometimes and it throws off my aim :T

Anyways everything I did there is extremely easy, you can do it on a 60Hz monitor just fine lol

NeoRaider

What? I just thought it was funny how in quickplay I could lazily walk around while people threw themselves at my feet lol

If you mean my FPS I play at 144Hz. I would let my framerate rock uncapped but I cap it at 150 because I get crazy fluctuations sometimes and it throws off my aim :T

Anyways everything I did there is extremely easy, you can do it on a 60Hz monitor just fine lol

My aiming with McCree is shit then, but that's not something new. lol
But expected since i only have few hours played with him, maybe 3-4 idk.

Lunaniem

nhQFQYx.png

New Mei skin confirmed.

I probably know the answer to this question but do we have a time when the Winter Wonderland update will be available?

I'd like to download it before work this afternoon.

Anne

My aiming with McCree is shit then, but that's not something new. lol
But expected since i only have few hours played with him, maybe 3-4 idk.

It's probably not shit. If you look at those kills it's literally people putting themselves in my crosshair for no good reason. If you spend time on the character stuff like this gets pretty easy.

AbaFadi

Banned
As long as you can do a 180 in a single swipe without it being a hassle you should be fine. 7 sens @ 800 DPI is a bit on the higher end when you look at pro sens btw, seems 6 @ 800 or even 5 are more common.

What accuracy are you targeting with what character?

Edit: While I'm on the subject, small flicks are also pretty good in OW because there's really not any acceleration or deceleration on movements. Tracking characters that have awkward hitboxes that strafe weirdly looking for crits is annoying on McCree. I can't for the life of me hit an awkwardly moving Zen when I track, but I can flick for crits on him without even thinking about it since it's pretty generous.

I've mainly been focusing on aiming with D.Va for now. On PS4 my accuracy hovers around 42-45%. Right now on PC my accuracy is hovering around 30%. I can't confirm kills I know I would have on PS4 lol.

So dataminers have found the following about the Christmas event:
It will have an event brawl ala Junkenstein and Lucioball.
It will have at least one map tied to it, most likely a decorated alternate like Hollywood during Halloween.
Every character will get a spray, a voice line and a victory pose; just like the Halloween update.
The following characters will get a skin, emote or highlight intro: Widowmaker, Reinhardt, Mercy, Symmetra, Reaper, Roadhog, Sombra. D.Va, Ana, Soldier 76 and Lucio
The following characters will get 2 out of a skin, emote or highlight intro: Winston, McCree, Mei, Pharah, Zarya, Tracer and Zenyatta.
And finally, Torbjörn will receive all 3 - a skin, an emote and a highlight intro.

Reposting this from earlier.

it's a reskin - look at the swirl on her shoulder.

it'll be like the halloween changes so slightly more effort than the summer recolours but not full on new.

Hmmmm. Looks like you're right. Dang, was hoping for something legendary. Ah well.
More chance for her to get a legendary where she's wearing her tennis outfit. :D

Anne

I've mainly been focusing on aiming with D.Va for now. On PS4 my accuracy hovers around 42-45%. Right now on PC my accuracy is hovering around 30%. I can't confirm kills I know I would have on PS4 lol.

Ah. Honestly aiming with D.VA on console is easier lol

My D.Va aim hovers around 40% tbh. It could probably be a bit higher but I spend a colossal amount of time shooting at nothing with her cause no real punishment for it :p

I wouldn't expect to get much higher than that.

Kito

Apparently Junkrat mains crawl out of their hole on Tuesdays. 100 away from Diamond and Junkrats lose me five games in a row. RIP the dream.

caesar

Banned
D.Va is too good to pass up for sure. I played Mercy in S1 and had a passable Zen in S2 so I guess I can get something going if Ana is nerfed. The big thing as a DPS is that if she is nerfed Hanzo/Widow suddenly become very good. Been working on Widow some since Hanzo is like an alien to me. Same thing with Pharah/Junkrat to a lesser extent.

I forgot to mention my Mei is extremely good too, but I don't run her as much cause reasons. Super happy in S1 I decided to pick up Genji/Mei and get good with projectiles instead of locking

Yeah I hope she gets nerfed as its really annoying to have to justify your McCree pick over Soldier simply because 76 can 1v1 DVA. Usually can go with it if they have Tracer or Genji though. What's you crit % with McCree at in competitive? I'm usually hovering at 9%.

Hanzo you just spray at head height and pray. :p

My widow is getting better but its just inconsistent. One game I will have 25 crits and the next 10. Lowering my scope sens to 30 helped a lot though.

I'm hoping that, since there's 10 more items than in the Halloween update, some of the skins might be blue tier. Not necessarily basic recolours, but perhaps super low effort model changes, like say, default Zenyatta, but he has only a santa hat, or default D.Va and her mech has Christmas lights attached to it or something.

I dunno. I just don't want there to be 28 purple/legendary items and getting even more duplicates of the same dumb sprays and voicelines. :s

Skii

Since people are talking about PC technical stuff, a quick question...

Is having an uncapped framerate super beneficial? I was just watching my brother play Overwatch on the PS4 and it actually looks smoother than it does on my PC. I'm getting around 170fps on my 60Hz monitor. But the screen tearing means playing DPS is a bit of an eye strain. I monitor is also IPS meaning it has 5ms input lag. Should I just cap the frame rate at 60 or is the reduced input lag too good to turn down?

Top Bottom