• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

The war on Christmas continues. Sad!

In all fairness, there's other holidays that fall onto this timeframe that are being celebrated. Not everybody is Christian. Plus there's New Years as well. I'm sure the actual content will be mostly Christmas themed, so you'll get plenty of Christmas.

In all fairness, there's other holidays that fall onto this timeframe that are being celebrated. Not everybody is Christian. Plus there's New Years as well. I'm sure the actual content will be mostly Christmas themed, so you'll get plenty of Christmas.

If I'm not mistaken, there were also New Years-related voice lines found in the files months ago.

That's basically Bastion's current ult, minus an "enter mech" animation.
I think they mean something semi-permanent.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Hanzo and genji to get kfc costumes then?

Cappa

Banned
Do we need more mech based characters ? I think a reverse D.VA (someone who can summon a mech as an ultimate) could be an interesting addition.

No, the game needs more nerfed charachters!!!

Christmas has been so commercialized that it has very little religious meaning anymore. People who aren´t catholic celebrate Christmas all the same putting up Christmas lights, Christmas tree etc.

Christmas has been so commercialized that it has very little religious meaning anymore. People who aren´t catholic celebrate Christmas all the same putting up Christmas lights, Christmas tree etc.

Good for you.
That doesn't change my point that this holiday event falls onto more holidays than just Christmas. One such holiday is New Years, since the event will go until January 3. And as evidenced by the voicelines MarioHead posted, it is indeed one of the holidays that they want to cover.
So calling it "Christmas Wonderland" would completely ignore that they also included New Years in the celebration, at the very least.

Therefore the choice to name it Winter Wonderland has nothing to do with a "war on Christmas".

Cappa

Banned
Good for you.
That doesn't change my point that this holiday event falls onto more holidays than just Christmas. One such holiday is New Years, since the event will go until January 3. And as evidenced by the voicelines MarioHead posted, it is indeed one of the holidays that they want to cover.
So calling it "Christmas Wonderland" would completely ignore that they also included New Years in the celebration, at the very least.

Therefore the choice to name it Winter Wonderland has nothing to do with a "war on Christmas".
Lol I know and I agree with you. Me saying that Christmas being commercialized is just touching on the religious aspect of it that Christmas is and can be celebrated by people of all faiths.

Let's all stay up all night and tell scary stories.

You're playing Reinhardt in a competitive match on Attack, you spam "Group Up" but alas your cries are ignored. Your team, ignoring your protestations, goes after the objective filing in one by one and one by one they are easily picked off.

DEFEAT.

Reinhardt: Why didn't any of you Group Up?
Soldier: 76: Fuck you, I got three gold medals. What a trash team.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean it's not like only the chinese celebrate the lunar new year, korea celebrates it also so Dva can also join in.

Winston also lived on the moon.

So 3 characters.

Do it Blizzard!

Sayad

You're playing Reinhardt in a competitive match on Attack, you spam "Group Up" but alas your cries are ignored. Your team, ignoring your protestations, goes after the objective filing in one by one and one by one they are easily picked off.

DEFEAT.

Reinhardt: Why didn't any of you Group Up?
Soldier: 76: Fuck you, I got three gold medals. What a trash team.
Deja vus are not dreams.

Cappa

Banned
I don't work at Blizzard or anything, but I'm like 99.9% sure that there will be no Chinese New Year content whatsoever, especially not an entire event.

Event? Probably not. Content? Why not, I think it makes sense considering Overwatch has a pretty big following in Asian countries and Spring festival is huge in Asia. Not just China. Japan, South Korea, Singapore etc all celebrate spring festival. Not to mention in pretty much every chinatown in the world.

Greddleok

I just want a main tank alternative to Reinhardt. Feels like he's a mandatory pick in every game, which kinda sucks. No one else fills his niche.

Would make sense we'd get a new tank since we had dps and support...

Mutombo

I just want a main tank alternative to Reinhardt. Feels like he's a mandatory pick in every game, which kinda sucks. No one else fills his niche.

Would make sense we'd get a new tank since we had dps and support...

all signs point to Doomfist.

I just want to be able to play my symmetra on attack. When??

I dunno about multi ult honestly.

Unless you select it pregame ala third strike.

That's the one thing that might not happen at all, or in a very limited sense. There might be another character who might have access to more than one ult in a similar fashion to Symmetra, but I don't think it'll be something that will be given to most of the cast.

It seems Blizzard is not a fan of the notion of "loadouts", so I doubt it'll happen.

Cappa

Banned
Japanese don't celebrate the lunar new year.

Officially they do not, you are correct but they do celebrate Spring festival. Japan is pretty much westernized but they celebrate it in some form.

If Im not mistaken its called Setsubun or something like that?

I don't work at Blizzard or anything, but I'm like 99.9% sure that there will be no Chinese New Year content whatsoever, especially not an entire event.

Dunno, they have it in WoW and I'm sure they have a hearthstone card back for it too. So they may not do an event but they may do something, considering the game is popular in china and korea.

Azoor

That's the one thing that might not happen at all, or in a very limited sense. There might be another character who might have access to more than one ult in a similar fashion to Symmetra, but I don't think it'll be something that will be given to most of the cast.

It seems Blizzard is not a fan of the notion of "loadouts", so I doubt it'll happen.

Loadouts will completely change the dynamics of the game, so I highly doubt they'll add this feature.

Dunno, they have it in WoW and I'm sure they have a hearthstone card back for it too. So they may not do an event but they may do something, considering the game is popular in china and korea.

Was it added to WoW within the first year though?

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying not to get your hopes up for something like that to get a ton of work/attention dedicated to it.

Was it added to WoW within the first year though?

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying not to get your hopes up for something like that to get a ton of work/attention dedicated to it.

Might be a similar case to what they had for Day of the Dead, with a spray given to everybody.
This is especially the case if they plan on doing Liao (who is Chinese, or at the very least Eastern Asian) as the next character, so they could tie that free spray in with some sort of tease for her, kinda like the Dia De Muertos spray tying into Sombra, being her "gift" for us.

Might be a similar case to what they had for Day of the Dead, with a spray given to everybody.
This is especially the case if they plan on doing Liao (who is Chinese, or at the very least Eastern Asian) as the next character, so they could tie that free spray in with some sort of tease for her, kinda like the Dia De Muertos spray tying into Sombra, being her "gift" for us.

Something like that is pretty much what I'm thinking will happen.

Top Bottom