• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

exYle

I wouldn't mind seeing a whiff punish on the hook. Hit the hook, 6s cooldown. Miss, 10s cooldown.

I feel like I would prefer the opposite. Longer cooldown if you land a hook successfully. Getting picked off is annoying, but a good Roadhog can decimate a team almost all by himself if he gets consistent landed hooks.

TrueBlue

Any tips for Winston? I figure his general fist is jumping in, causing havoc and disrupting things, before jumping back out. I do feel as I'm dying a tad too easily though.

Embarrassed to have such a "noob" question but I can't figure out for the life of me what CC stands for?

Crowd control. Usually refers to some sort of not necessarily damaging abilities that obstruct, hinder or weaken your enemies.
In the case of Overwatch, for instance, there's Slows, Freeze, Ana's anti-heal, Stun, and several others.

Trey

Embarrassed to have such a "noob" question but I can't figure out for the life of me what CC stands for?

crowd control. it's a skill with a property that controls an opponent's movement. stuns, slows, knockdowns, knockbacks.

hard CC refers to things that completely immobilize an enemy. think mei's freeze, rein's earthshatter, and ana's sleep dart.

I am just LOVING the Mystery Heroes mode. It gets you trying out heroes you normally wouldn't dare use and because everybody else is doing the same, there's much less toxicity.

Finally getting how good Zarya is, when she's got a team that's willing to work with her.

Anne

Crowd control. Usually refers to some sort of not necessarily damaging abilities that obstruct, hinder or weaken your enemies.
In the case of Overwatch, for instance, there's Slows, Discord, Ana's anti-heal, Stun, and several others.

I wouldn't call discord or anti heal a CC. Things that fall under CC tend to explicitly restrict people from performing actions. Debuffs that aren't CC are just debuffs. Rest of the description is right though, just wanted to clear that up.

And yeah, hard CC = complete loss of control of the character. Most of the CC you see in Overwatch is hard CC(stuns), but things like Sombra hack, Mei's slow, Winston's knockback, Graviton, etc. wouldn't typically be called that.

Ertai

While I Talk about CDs, let me talk about hooks. This one specifically.

A lot of people would see this and be like "oh god hook is broke why can its hitbox do that." Honestly, at this point I can actually deal with the LoS defying guess hook. If somebody wants to take that risk on an educated guess like that to make some big play sure. That's actually kind of a neat thing, the only thing about it is that it is sometimes too lenient and fucks with level geometry in less than stellar ways. Outside of blatantly map breaking situations like that, I don't mind hook having some slightly funky LoS aspects to it.

What really bugs me about it is the situation where it whiffs. 6s without hook on his terms is nothing. He straight up gets to go for a guess like that with virtually no risk attached since the ways to punish him are extremely limited by that CD. You see this in high level play all the time "Oh he went for that guess hook and missed. I guess he gets to just do that though since it comes back up so quickly." That is something I dead ass hear casters say every single stream.

That doesn't feel good. I don't feel like a Hog player was extremely smart and took on risk that paid off. I feel like a Hog just said "fuck it" and threw out a CD that murdered me and sealed a fight(one we admittedly were losing after the first pick). In an ideal world the risk on that hook was we got to drop into a fight where he has no hook for the fight. In reality, he just hangs back for 6 seconds with a healer glued to his butt until we repeat the situation again, or we push him and get hooked midfight if we don't instantly murder him.

Just make CDs create tangible risk/reward instead of it being a pasted on MOBA mechanic. Hook isn't the only offender, but it's by far the most obvious one. I think Blizzard tried to make hook's immobility punishment enough, but it obviously isn't. Use the built in balance tool of CDs to make that punishment greater.

I had this happen to me a couple of days ago. If they can't fix the hitbox or the way it works there really needs to be some change to the CD as someone mentioned earlier.

I wouldn't call discord or anti heal a CC. Things that fall under CC tend to explicitly restrict people from performing actions. Debuffs that aren't CC are just debuffs. Rest of the description is right though, just wanted to clear that up.

And yeah, hard CC = complete loss of control of the character. Most of the CC you see in Overwatch is hard CC(stuns), but things like Sombra hack, Mei's slow, Winston's knockback, Graviton, etc. wouldn't typically be called that.

yea CC is not discord or anti heal. Those are debuffs

CC is not something that "weakens." That will always be a debuff. This is blizzard law.

CC = sheep, frost nova, stun, sleep, entangle, and in the case of Overwatch, technically Mcree's stun, mei's actual freezing (not her slowing), ana's sleep....With that said...

Graviton is absolutely a CC.

Right, I derped with Discord, but I'd say that Ana's nade being CC or not is arguable. While CC often refers to mobility, it is not necessarily limited to. It's sort of like Sombra's mute, but more specialized, as it only mutes healing abilities.

Anne

Right, I derped with Discord, but I'd say that Ana's nade being CC or not is arguable. While CC often refers to mobility, it is not necessarily limited to. It's sort of like Sombra's mute, but more specialized, as it only mutes healing abilities.

Now we're really getting into semantics, but it doesn't stop you from performing any actions, it just negates any healing from those actions. You still have access to all of your actions the entire time and you aren't displaced by it :p

Anyways I guess that question is getting more than answered now.

Veelk

Banned
On console, I never played that Ana was as obnoxious as people have said here, mainly because it's just harder to aim, but I just had a match with a really good one, and holy FUCK...

Also, I am never going to get any fucking kills with the dragon blade, ever ;_;

Trey

I am just LOVING the Mystery Heroes mode. It gets you trying out heroes you normally wouldn't dare use and because everybody else is doing the same, there's much less toxicity.

Finally getting how good Zarya is, when she's got a team that's willing to work with her.

the lovely thing about zarya is how she works even when people aren't playing coordinated. obviously she's much more efficient with a team that works with her, but the dumbass that runs in naked every time on some yolo shit still will benefit from a shield, which benefits zarya as well.

On console, I never played that Ana was as obnoxious as people have said here, mainly because it's just harder to aim, but I just had a match with a really good one, and holy FUCK...

no one dies on her team.

Just ran
Ana
Symmetra
Toblerone
Rein
Zarya
Soldier

On Numbani defence and we just crushed the other team. I started with Roadhog but switched to Zarya. Also managed to break 3.2K 300 from Masters now :0

We had a great IGL that match tho he was abit crude still hes the one who told us to go

2Tank
Ana
Torb
Symmetra
And DPS

On defence and made the shots on attack

He did say he was a Smurf tho lol.

AbaFadi

Banned

Also, I am never going to get any fucking kills with the dragon blade, ever ;_;

Yeah I'm seeing at the grandmaster level Ana replacing Zen more and more, and people are definitely getting a lot better at using her on console. Triple tank is becoming more popular on console (metas take longer to carry over from pc to console) and Ana doesn't need to have the best aim to be effective since tanks have huge hit boxes.

Now we're really getting into semantics, but it doesn't stop you from performing any actions, it just negates any healing from those actions. You still have access to all of your actions the entire time and you aren't displaced by it :p

Anyways I guess that question is getting more than answered now.

It does stop you from succeeding to perform certain actions though. If I'm Zenyatta and toss an Orb of Harmony on you while you're naded, nobody gains anything from it. In fact, by diverting my target to you from someone else, I am potentially wasting healing (and ult charge). Arguably so, this works like a charm or taunt effect, where I waste my ability on something useless.
This is even worse for Roadhog's self-heal and Soldier's healing pod, and especially devastating for Zen's ultimate.

But yeah, semantics.

Anne

With that team above the DPS almost always has to be Soldier btw. You need the heal station + he covers a large range of situations. If you want to really maximize it Hog has healing + shield busting + pick potential to make up for the lack of healers/direct damage. Zarya can work too though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Huh, Mercy is actually pretty fun when you have a Winston and a Pharah around. You can use either Winston or Pharah as flying points to get yourself high in the air whenever you want.

The height gets you out of danger and then you have options to support Winston mid-dive for a little longer before you have to leave him to himself. Then you can either rejoin the main group or go support Pharah.

It lets you really have fun with Mercy's mobility when you're normally just hanging around the main group.

Anne

Anyone have tips on usage of Tracer dashes during fights? I've been having trouble staying alive with her.

The best use by far is to keep CC and burst damage off you. if you fight McCree and he looks at you, you dash behind him to make flashbang whiff. Stuff like that. Always try to keep one up in case you really need to move in on someone or bail out the fight.

Mai nuses are to dodge CC damage
After that is positioning for dives and escapes
Last use is just chasing down weak people

It's all p simple, but keeping track of that and playing mind games against flashbang all in the middle of a team fight is hard.

I said Gravtion is a CC, just not "hard" CC to me since characters in Graviton can still perform actions and even move out of it :p

That's just like a semantic though.

oh gotcha, didn't read that right. yea, It's not a hard cc, definitely just a CC.

Sombra hack isn't a CC at all tho imo...straight debuff.

CC is crowd control. it has to do with mobility period.

Ana's nade is a debuff. It doesn't hinder mobility but keeps the enemy from healing. that's a debuff, not a CC.

Sombra's mute isn't a CC, it's a debuff.

Veelk

Banned
Guys, I'm trying to become a better mercy, but I'm just fucking crying at how murderous the other team can be to me while the enemy mercy is just straight up chilling because only one team understands that you are supposed to kill the healer first and it's not mine.

Yeah its why i picked roadhog first even though i have more time on him i havent been playing him very well last few matches so i went Zarya who i was playing on attack and did p good with.

Anne

Yeah its why i picked roadhog first even though i have more time on him i havent been playing him very well last few matches so i went Zarya who i was playing on attack and did p good with.

I'd say you made the right call then. A less than optimal pick that still works is fine if you think your personal results will be better that way.

Anyways I've heard silences on/off been called CCs over the years, especially since it removes mobility abilities. But eh, it's all a semantic. The idea is out there,

I'd say you made the right call then. A less than optimal pick that still works is fine if you think your personal results will be better that way.

Anyways I've heard silences on/off been called CCs over the years, especially since it removes mobility abilities. But eh, it's all a semantic. The idea is out there,

never heard silence referred to as a CC ever. because while it removes abilities, the character is still mobile....

this has been the case since Vanilla wow.

and in the case of Overwatch, i don't need abilities to reach you and kill you moreso than other blizzard games.

never heard silence referred to as a CC ever. because while it removes abilities, the character is still mobile....

this has been the case since Vanilla wow.

The term of CC has existed long before WoW. It's not like Blizzard invented that kind of thing, you know.

The definition of CC I know is that it limits the offensive capabilities of the target, and reducing their capability to retaliate.
This can be hindering their movement by slowing or immobilizing them, but it also can be by reducing control of their character by straight up taking control from them (e.g. stun, sleep, charm), forcing them to move/target into a different direction (e.g. fears or taunts), or reducing the abilities they have access to (e.g. mutes, disarms or similar effects).

I don't understand how you can win competitive when there's players who make decisions that actually sabatoge your team.

Like, we have to defend point a of kings row for 3 minutes for a 3-3 tie?

Let's pick torb and symmetra, and only one tank.

*Steamroll takes place*

They should have a thumbs up, thumbs down system for players. If you get like an 80% thumbs down rating over like 10 matches or more for teamwork or game knowledge, you get booted from competitive for the season. Thumbs ups reduce your thumbs down percentage. People in your group/friends can't rate you.

Jellie

I don't understand how you can win competitive when there's players who make decisions that actually sabatoge your team.

Like, we have to defend point a of kings row for 3 minutes for a 3-3 tie?

Let's pick torb and symmetra, and only one tank.

*Steamroll takes place*

They should have a thumbs up, thumbs down system for players. If you get like an 80% thumbs down rating over like 10 matches or more for teamwork or game knowledge, you get booted from competitive for the season. Thumbs ups reduce your thumbs down percentage. People in your group/friends can't rate you.

Torb and symm are pretty strong now in solo queue. Makes everyone tanky.

Yeah that definitely doesn't have any opportunity of abusing it to get people you just don't like or popular streamers/players getting banned.

Crzy1

They've made this game so unenjoyable to play recently, it's unreal. Playing offense on capture maps was already bad enough before, but it's just sickening now. Symmetra and Torbjorn are all I see. Not sure what they had in mind, but making every character a tank is beyond frustrating. Coupled with the fact that you can get within 10 get off Sym without getting melted, it feels like I'm spending all my time playing against PvE obstacles rather than playing a shooter now. Wish they didn't do this shit right as the Christmas event started, really making me hate the game at a point where I want to be playing it.

What the fuck is going on with ranked on PS4? Almost every single match there is a leaver on either side of the game, and usually its my side.

Blues1990

Any tips for Winston? I figure his general fist is jumping in, causing havoc and disrupting things, before jumping back out. I do feel as I'm dying a tad too easily though.

Probably the best bit of advice that I got from this guide, but the following is the most important check-list to remember:

Do:

• Go for environmental kills
  • Use your ult at as low health as possible
  • Seperate and annoy the enemy as much as possible, forcing a repick on their part.
  • Take as much damage as you can in place of your team
  • Run/fly away when you have low health. You're not invincible.
  • Lock someone in a corner and kill them if there aren't many enemies and that target's a priority.
  • Use your shield before your ult, and take advantage of the seperate jump pack cooldowns post and pre ult. (Post ult being the most important due to escaping)
  • Remember that you're not invincible.

Don't:

• Forget that your jump packs have seperate cooldowns in and outside of your ult.
  • Jump in alone and use your ult. Not only will you die, you're not distracting them from your team, you're just dying.
  • Focus down one unimportant player when the whole team is there.
  • Get stuck on a Junkrat trap, or you're dead.
  • Stay in the fight at low health. Get out.
  • Forget to put people out of position. A Widowmaker who's been taken from her height advantage and stuck in the fray is sure to die, even if it's not by your own hands.
  • Forget to use your ult. It's literally a life-saver!

The term of CC has existed long before WoW. It's not like Blizzard invented that kind of thing, you know.

The definition of CC I know is that it limits the offensive capabilities of the target, and reducing their capability to retaliate.
This can be hindering their movement by slowing or immobilizing them, but it also can be by reducing control of their character by straight up taking control from them (e.g. stun, sleep, charm), forcing them to move/target into a different direction (e.g. fears or taunts), or reducing the abilities they have access to (e.g. mutes, disarms or similar effects).

I never said they invented it. you implied I did. but in regards to blizzard games, mutes and disarms have never been referred to as CC from my experience because tho you do those things the enemy can still get away. when you are trying to get more CC you dont pick the guy that can mute or disarm. you get the guy who can at the very least hold and at most sheep or freeze.

KHlover

Banned
They've made this game so unenjoyable to play recently, it's unreal. Playing offense on capture maps was already bad enough before, but it's just sickening now. Symmetra and Torbjorn are all I see. Not sure what they had in mind, but making every character a tank is beyond frustrating. Coupled with the fact that you can get within 10 get off Sym without getting melted, it feels like I'm spending all my time playing against PvE obstacles rather than playing a shooter now. Wish they didn't do this shit right as the Christmas event started, really making me hate the game at a point where I want to be playing it.

I've started to play 6v6 random a lot more since the holiday update. I suppose that's not an option if you mainly play ranked, but it's actually more fun than quickplay to me right now.

Also Mei's brawl is like crack to me, been playing it 1h+ each day since the update went live. Finally got the 25m achievement and the "Kill 3 players while they reload" achievement today. Both in the same single round, even. Funny how it goes with these kinds of achievements. Spend hours actively trying to get them and nada, then have a perfect round when you just wanted to goof off ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nimby

Banned
My baby Sym is now super strong and people want her nerfed. I'm so proud right now.

I know 75 shields fucks with the game a lot, but I didn't realize how much. Flanking Mei on the enemy team freezes me. As I sit there frozen, I squint my eyes, tense up. Headshot, but still alive. Mei then proceeds to flee from a fully-charged Symmetra but to no avail. Symmetra buff is good guys.

LAM09

What the fuck is going on with ranked on PS4? Almost every single match there is a leaver on either side of the game, and usually its my side.

Been like that for a while. You'll have the odd time where someone will leave in the first round and reappear when the match is almost over.

I can't believe a stricter punishment has been introduce yet.

Top Bottom