• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I wonder if they'll ever add heroes that do things that current heroes already do, like a new wall running hero or a new hero that can fly for sustained amounts of time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When the 2 kill Hanzo who shittalks you for being Symmetra instead of a 2nd healer is on the opposite team the next game, and gets completely steamrolled by your 1 Healer + Symmetra team on both Offense and Defense.

When+the+tech+support+is+just+right_320858_5918375.jpg
Precisely

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Started in the 2200 range for Competitive, closing in on 2700 in roughly 2 days of play

I put in effort, but when you solo queue, it sucks so much you can't communicate with your team easily or if you can you here bullshit/music which just isn't helpful

I harass the back line as my Pharah, I'm a great player with her, but most teammates are so oblivious to their surroundings its astoundingly horrific
I'm like the eye in the sky, I try to pester there back lanes and make enemy D.Va chase me

Only 2 fucking heroes annoy me to shir, Zenyatta and Roadhog

Roadhog and his hook, sometimes magically grabs me from some of the worst fucking angles possible
I used to Roadhog, I knew the frustration of hooking, but sometimes the hook clipping through environment and grabbing you is some Grade A bullshit

Zenny annoys me with his shitty orb spam
They need to give him a dropoff, seriously his orbs sometimes hit me from a mile fucking away
I can escape it 75% of the time, I know I've did my job if I have the Discord orb on me and their on me looking up
They forget to heal a teammate or view is up, so my teammate can pounce

So.many D.Va's I've saved from Zennys Discord, feels good climbing the tiers
Want to reach Diamond before season ends

I mean my highest tier has been Platinum @2706, season 1 was @60
So far Season 3 has been better @2660 at the moment, the faster I move up SR and getting teams who want to play tough
Still get the usual one or two teams back to back who forget how to play Overwatch

Jellie

Started in the 2200 range for Competitive, closing in on 2700 in roughly 2 days of play

I put in effort, but when you solo queue, it sucks so much you can't communicate with your team easily or if you can you here bullshit/music which just isn't helpful

I harass the back line as my Pharah, I'm a great player with her, but most teammates are so oblivious to their surroundings its astoundingly horrific
I'm like the eye in the sky, I try to pester there back lanes and make enemy D.Va chase me

Only 2 fucking heroes annoy me to shir, Zenyatta and Roadhog

Roadhog and his hook, sometimes magically grabs me from some of the worst fucking angles possible
I used to Roadhog, I knew the frustration of hooking, but sometimes the hook clipping through environment and grabbing you is some Grade A bullshit

Zenny annoys me with his shitty orb spam
They need to give him a dropoff, seriously his orbs sometimes hit me from a mile fucking away
I can escape it 75% of the time, I know I've did my job if I have the Discord orb on me and their on me looking up
They forget to heal a teammate or view is up, so my teammate can pounce

So.many D.Va's I've saved from Zennys Discord, feels good climbing the tiers
Want to reach Diamond before season ends

I mean my highest tier has been Platinum @2706, season 1 was @60
So far Season 3 has been better @2660 at the moment, the faster I move up SR and getting teams who want to play tough
Still get the usual one or two teams back to back who forget how to play Overwatch

Surprised soldier and mccree aren't on your list of annoying characters for Pharah.

Ended up running triple tank triple support on Nepal in solo queue comp. Ana, Lucio, Symmetra, Dva, Reinhardt and Roadhog. One of the most one sided matches I've had. Who needs DPS?

Anne

While I'm here I think I had another night where I didn't run into a single team not running trip tank at some point in our matches T.T

Rito pls fix

Blues1990

Surprised soldier and mccree aren't on your list of annoying characters for Pharah.

Ended up running triple tank triple support on Nepal in solo queue comp. Ana, Lucio, Symmetra, Dva, Reinhardt and Roadhog. One of the most one sided matches I've had. Who needs DPS?
I won't lie. That sort of match up sounds incredibly terrifying to deal with.

I'll be honest, I'm a casual player. Only play Arcade or Quick Match, don't even go into ranked. I'm decent at best. I know how to play the objective and I don't play every hero like Reaper. I enjoy playing support heroes most.

But my god when it's the weekends, some real scrubby people start coming out. People that literally don't even try to take the objective and just focus on getting kills. Just insta-pick hanzo or genji or reaper and just try to go ham.

Anne

Trip Tank + 1 Healer + 1 Sym is the real nightmare

Ran into that too. Ana + Symm is some bullshit.

Like, maybe Symm is fine, but the fact it just makes an even dumber trip tank + Ana strat is ahhhhhh.

Oh well. Tonight I learned that comp queue on late Saturday night is truly the real nightmare.

Edit: fuck it give Winston a speedboost so we can just cut out the middle man and get this tank party going.

I'll be honest, I'm a casual player. Only play Arcade or Quick Match, don't even go into ranked. I'm decent at best. I know how to play the objective and I don't play every hero like Reaper. I enjoy playing support heroes most.

But my god when it's the weekends, some real scrubby people start coming out. People that literally don't even try to take the objective and just focus on getting kills. Just insta-pick hanzo or genji or reaper and just try to go ham.

I feel you, man.
I'm not great since I'm terrible at aiming (old man syndrome...), but I know at least to play the objective and stuff lol.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

I would say 80-20% of the time I get the best of those 2
Early game if they have shitty situational awareness, I feast off the back line
I mean most Soldier waste their Ultimates on me, which I'm happy to eat

McCree really doesn't get played much really

At the moment in my tier pool play for ranked its a guarantee of D.Va, Soldier, Zenyatta/Anna, Roadhog mix
Last 2 are w/e

D.Va is an instant pick every time now, whenever OW release their info on how the game has progressed by infocharts, D.Va will be there @75%+
Its crazy how super strong she is

Anne

More musings, I'm starting to believe that even if they nerf Ana trip tank will be mad strong. I'm just curious if it will at least be open to enough weaknesses to be counterpicked.

Jellie

I would say 80-20% of the time I get the best of those 2
Early game if they have shitty situational awareness, I feast off the back line
I mean most Soldier waste their Ultimates on me, which I'm happy to eat

McCree really doesn't get played much really

At the moment in my tier pool play for ranked its a guarantee of D.Va, Soldier, Zenyatta/Anna, Roadhog mix
Last 2 are w/e

D.Va is an instant pick every time now, whenever OW release their info on how the game has progressed by infocharts, D.Va will be there @75%+
Its crazy how super strong she is

Those all counter pharah pretty much. Dva just eats your rockets and chases you, soldier should be able to shoot you out of the sky. Discord on you means Ana can 2 shot you and Roadhog just hooks you out the sky. Guess they never look up or focus you?
Yeah Dva buffs were strong. Since they made the tank meta even worse with their latest buffs I fully expect Winston to get buffed so we can have a 5 tank meta.

More musings, I'm starting to believe that even if they nerf Ana trip tank will be mad strong. I'm just curious if it will at least be open to enough weaknesses to be counterpicked.

1) Ana needs a nerf. I still think her healing grenade is the biggest offender.

2) D.va never needed the extra 100 health. That was one of those wtf-were-they-thinking kind of balance changes.

fhqwhgads

Ana is a toughie to nerf. Nerf her too much and she'll become useless at low level play. Lotta people have no idea hiw to use her effectively outside of high level play.

Anne

1) Ana needs a nerf. I still think her healing grenade is the biggest offender.

2) D.va never needed the extra 100 health. That was one of those wtf-were-they-thinking kind of balance changes.

You're right, I'm just curious what an Ana nerf would look like. Right now dealing damage to tanks they can't just shrug off is pretty hard actually. Zen could heal that stuff, we've seen it. The problem is when it comes time to push off that damage Ana has the ability to drop massive amounts of health while tanks clean up.

The thing I want to know is if Ana's health dumps disappear, how effective will it be to just dive all in on them, and if running trip tank as your all in is good enough anyways. I'm willing to bet it can be done, but at the same time something tells me that tank heavy teams running a bit of extra healing will still be a very strong option.

I guess all that matters is if there's enough viable counterplay to them in the end. I wish there were more options to deal with D.Va, Rein, Hog though. I think if Ana were nerfed and people figured out solutions to play around Hook, Earthshatter (look I think this is one of the best ults in the game period), and D.Va in general things would be way nicer.

Ana is a toughie to nerf. Nerf her too much and she'll become useless at low level play. Lotta people have no idea hiw to use her effectively outside of high level play.

There are solutions to this. You could actually keep strength in some areas of her kit that are easy to use(nade and raw numbers), while just decreasing down time. Like one of the things that is weird is they have a burst healer, who's supposed to only be able to heal in bursts, with one of the fastest reloads in the game. She'd be harder to play if you slowed it down, but it would still be braindead to throw a nade and get god tier healing.

I also don't think nerfing the numbers on the nade/shots would make her harder to play too. Her kit is mad simple and her mechanics aren't going to get easier. The only reason people had trouble using her before was we didn't have that level of strategy down with her to fit her in.

Edit: Also I'm talking about nerfs a lot, but I think the game is close to nerfed enough. If you just nerf things xN you end up with League of Legends. Right now I feel like Soldier/McCree are around the ideal power levels and are pretty balanced. It's just tanks are kinda pulling their own LoL stunt by doing what other heroes do better just with more health. That might actually be fine if Ana/Lucio didn't take away most of their weaknesses.

bjork

Got two nights in a row off. Gonna take a nap, then try and find some good character strategy videos and let someone else show me what I'm not seeing in the characters I've been trying.

Then I want to see if I can get to 25, but I'm only at 12 so who knows how long that would take.

Beatrix

Queuing competitive solo makes me want to stop playing all together. On a payload map, our Mercy decided to start shooting at the opponents and his reasoning was "our offense is lacking". So I said to him, "Mercy just try to heal us, you're much more effective at keeping people up. Your shots aren't going to do much, switch to Ana if you want to be offensive too". And he responds, "don't worry about what I fucking do, you just worry about what you're doing over there". At that point I just stopped talking and he kept talking to the rest of the game trying to trigger me. It's like what can you even do at that point? I feel like I get 1 good game out of every 5.....

I was 1 game away from being platinum but then I drop 200 rating....so frustrating.

I guess all that matters is if there's enough viable counterplay to them in the end. I wish there were more options to deal with D.Va, Rein, Hog though.
With the exception of hook, Sombra does well against all three. Can hack through matrix, can cancel Rein charges and shields, can prevent Roadhog from hooking and healing (and cancel his ult).

The solution is clear. Buff Sombra. >:D

Theorry

Playing my first season now after getting the game like a couple of weeks ago. And you really notice the skill jumps in ranking placement. Started in Gold. Was oke. People tried my sometimes very bad people or people that dont want to push. When i got into Platinum right away noticed people that wanted to push way more and noticed when to push more, waiting for team, good timed Ults etc. Got now into Diamond and it got even better. He even people in voice chat (i am on console btw)

Anne

With the exception of hook, Sombra does well against all three. Can hack through matrix, can cancel Rein charges and shields, can prevent Roadhog from hooking and healing (and cancel his ult).

The solution is clear. Buff Sombra. >:D

She can't deal with Earthshatter. It demands a shield or for people to just not exists in its cone (which is huge and lol corridor maps). I like that they gave Symm the ability to deal with it though. That was extremely smart to give her the shield on that basis alone. It allows a team to move through Earthshatter space for a brief period of time.

She can't really deal with Hog or D.Va either. Individual hack on them is kind of underwhelming since LoS challenging Hog is rare, and they both have the health pools to just shrug and wait. Also having Sombra without EMP means your teamfight against them in general is kind of shitty so there's that.

Now if hack actually made room for follow ups to consistently happen there might be something there, but Hog/D.Va alone are still powerful as hell without CDs and you can't follow up if Ana is looking at them :p

Got two nights in a row off. Gonna take a nap, then try and find some good character strategy videos and let someone else show me what I'm not seeing in the characters I've been trying.

Then I want to see if I can get to 25, but I'm only at 12 so who knows how long that would take.
You get XP faster if you play with a group.

Man, torb and sym in koth?
Symm isn't dreadful on KOTH anymore. She can set up nests literally the moment you take the point now and an extra +75 shields for everyone on the point is freat. Add in the barrier + the fact that anyone trying to capture the point will be in range of her death noodle, she's not the worst choice anymore.

She can't deal with Earthshatter. It demands a shield or for people to just not exists in its cone (which is huge and lol corridor maps). I like that they gave Symm the ability to deal with it though. That was extremely smart to give her the shield on that basis alone. It allows a team to move through Earthshatter space for a brief period of time.

She can't really deal with Hog or D.Va either. Individual hack on them is kind of underwhelming since LoS challenging Hog is rare, and they both have the health pools to just shrug and wait. Also having Sombra without EMP means your teamfight against them in general is kind of shitty so there's that.

Now if hack actually made room for follow ups to consistently happen there might be something there, but Hog/D.Va alone are still powerful as hell without CDs and you can't follow up if Ana is looking at them :p
I mean, Earthshatter is kind of ridiculous, always has been, and they should probably look at it independently of anything else. It's probably the most frustrating ability in the game to be hit by.

I agree that, as it stands, individual hack is kind of underwhelming. Hence the need for a buff! If it lasted 8s (instead of 6s) and distorted vision or UI (or did something else more disruptive than removing directional audio), maybe it wouldn't be shrugged off quite as easily. (It would also delay that Earthshatter for an 8s window in which Rein can't shield.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually love the earthshatter mindgames with opposing reins. Would be nice if there's a more realistic way of countering it than another rein though. I guess sym now too.

Symm isn't dreadful on KOTH anymore. She can set up nests literally the moment you take the point now and an extra +75 shields for everyone on the point is freat. Add in the barrier + the fact that anyone trying to capture the point will be in range of her death noodle, she's not the worst choice anymore.

I mean that's if you can get setup in the first place.

I had a sym do that to our team one round in koth, wised up, speed boosted straight in because sym is pretty terrible still without any setup, rolled them while the other team kept complaining about sym in all chat.

Ambient80

2da86e20bd3f596c3266f593951d3843c50dca1cd8ebf1cb3c3607645acec2c1_1.jpg

When you compare what Sombra's hack does to what Ana's sleep dart is (and there's only a two-second difference in CD), it's kind of embarrassing for Blizzard, imo. Especially when you consider dart in the context of every other thing Ana excels at.

Antiwhippy

When you compare what Sombra's hack does to what Ana's sleep dart is (and there's only a two-second difference in CD), it's kind of embarrassing for Blizzard, imo. Especially when you consider dart in the context of every other thing Ana excels at.

TBF you actually have to aim the dart. :p

Sombra gets ult charge when you use her medpacks? This is huge.

Where have you been man?

Complexity have been working with that strat for awhile now.

I actually love the earthshatter mindgames with opposing reins. Would be nice if there's a more realistic way of countering it than another rein though. I guess sym now too.

I mean that's if you can get setup in the first place.

I had a sym do that to our team one round in koth, wised up, speed boosted straight in because sym is pretty terrible still without any setup, rolled them while the other team kept complaining about sym in all chat.
That sounds more like that team's fault then tbh. People get so caught up in blaming or flaming that they go on tilt.

Nothing kills a team faster tbh.
Lmao, me in every game atm

TBF you actually have to aim the dart. :p
This is true, but you can also fire it from distance and fire it without being interrupted by a single point of damage. Ana can react to a Winston jumping on her. Sombra's only option is to tele away.

Hitting an ulting Pharah, Roadhog, Reaper or McCree with sleep dart is trivial. Sombra has to be in range to hack their ult, which is. Bad. Plus sleep dart can put ulting S76 or Genji down. Hacking him does nada.

Antiwhippy

Oh no I agree. It's super strong.

I still think the best nerf you can give to her without crippling her is remove heal buff on grenade. Anti heal is still super fucking strong and most Ana's use the grenade primarily to counter the other Ana's grenade anyway.

Anne

Yeah, I don't think Earthshatter should be nerfed. It can be counterplayed and it is extremely satisfying to land and to make whiff/block. I think adding in ways to deal with it like Sym's shield are good. As it stood before the only solution to fighting Rein midrange was to have your own Rein. It still kinda is, but at least here's a new option there. One not attached to a niche hero like Sym would be awesome.

I think Sombra's hack is pretty strong, but every strength it brings is kind of negated by Ana/Tanks just not allowing for it to lead into anything. 6 seconds is more than enough time to obliterate somebody who has no CDs, but right now they are protected by Ana + the tank frontline.

Also I like sleep dart. Again, a big problem with it is that you basically have to do really vulnerable ults to deal with D.Va/Rein/Hog and then you just get slept. McCree should be protected for Deadeye. Pharah getting slept is kind of whatever considering the ult's built in weakness is that she should get murdered while doing it anyways.

Anne

I'll admit Ana having that hard of a CC on a 12s CD is pretty wild.

Some of the shorter CDs in Overwatch are starting to get to me in general. I don't like it when the punishment for whiffing a CD is almost nonexistent because the risk/reward on that CD isn't there.

iosa

Omg I had a crazy game with Widow on Mystery Winter mode
I went 22-0 before dying. That was on attack in King's Row and we rolled them. Not a single highlight though :(

Antiwhippy

I feel like the risk/reward for sleep dart is pretty fair. You pretty much only get 1 every teamfight, and you have to decide between using it to facilitate a pick, stop an ulti you predict the enemy team is setting up, or to protect yourself from flankers.

The only CD that really irks me ATM is roadhog hooks.

edit: also more nanohana goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9TgnaSJxCk

I thought he was one of those korean players who made their name with genji from the previous matches I've seen but he's godly on hitscan.

Anne

While I Talk about CDs, let me talk about hooks. This one specifically.

A lot of people would see this and be like "oh god hook is broke why can its hitbox do that." Honestly, at this point I can actually deal with the LoS defying guess hook. If somebody wants to take that risk on an educated guess like that to make some big play sure. That's actually kind of a neat thing, the only thing about it is that it is sometimes too lenient and fucks with level geometry in less than stellar ways. Outside of blatantly map breaking situations like that, I don't mind hook having some slightly funky LoS aspects to it.

What really bugs me about it is the situation where it whiffs. 6s without hook on his terms is nothing. He straight up gets to go for a guess like that with virtually no risk attached since the ways to punish him are extremely limited by that CD. You see this in high level play all the time "Oh he went for that guess hook and missed. I guess he gets to just do that though since it comes back up so quickly." That is something I dead ass hear casters say every single stream.

That doesn't feel good. I don't feel like a Hog player was extremely smart and took on risk that paid off. I feel like a Hog just said "fuck it" and threw out a CD that murdered me and sealed a fight(one we admittedly were losing after the first pick). In an ideal world the risk on that hook was we got to drop into a fight where he has no hook for the fight. In reality, he just hangs back for 6 seconds with a healer glued to his butt until we repeat the situation again, or we push him and get hooked midfight if we don't instantly murder him.

Just make CDs create tangible risk/reward instead of it being a pasted on MOBA mechanic. Hook isn't the only offender, but it's by far the most obvious one. I think Blizzard tried to make hook's immobility punishment enough, but it obviously isn't. Use the built in balance tool of CDs to make that punishment greater.

Antiwhippy

Like honestly, the hook is like a better sleep dart, looking at them as cc projectile skills. Shorter range sure, but still long for the map sizes, has a way shorter cooldown, nearly a guaranteed kill whereas there's a bigger chance for you to survive getting sleep darted, and is a cc that puts you woefully out of position, to the point that you're probably dead due to positioning alone.

Top Bottom